Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 08-03-2012, 07:43 AM   #91
kNIOKAS
There will be plaster

Default Re: What is the easiest Olympic sport?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomerang
Volleyball people are known to jump a lot higher than BBall people.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_T6dsJ7NrTE

Plus the speed and precision is crazy. When someone spikes, the ball travels so fast you have less than 0.1 second to react or you're too late. This occurs for the most part of the game.
Well... Point still stands. You do what you can do, it's not like pro volleyball athletes have vastly superior reaction time to the average bloke. Reaction times are defined by the speed of neurons transmitting signals, and that's pretty much a constant. You can improve a little here and there, you may have an inherited somewhat better reaction time but realistically it's only miliseconds. In sports people do react to such things by context, as in table tennis - you couldn't react fast enough to calculate and hit the incoming ball - yet, you can judge the trajectory by the moves of the opponent. Add some playing experience and you have it as good as almost any player.

I would also claim that shooting with pistols or rifles must be really easy. Relatively it requires almost none physical training, as the biggest part is mental: focus. And that's it... You either have parkinsons and can't hit shit, or you're good at it. Now hold your breath and do your thing...
Plus, not everyone gets the gun to shoot at young age or any age, it's not the typical birthday gift as a basketball or football, thus making the field smaller.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alenleomessi
well if you live in usa getting in the olympics will be pretty damn hard even if you are a good athlete...for a small country (african mostly) is much easier... doesnt matter if you failed to qualify for the semis/finals... still you made the olympics
I would try looking at it the other way - training for any sport in undeveloped countries must be awful. Remember Sadam forcing physical punishment on "underperforming" athletes? Think of North Korea footballers, that were happy finding a frigde in the WC housing appartments... They do spill blood to get anywhere, I believe. While countries like USA have the most advanced training facilities and the best care for their athletes.

Last edited by kNIOKAS : 08-03-2012 at 07:48 AM.
kNIOKAS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 08:05 AM   #92
Lebowsky
Hi, how are you?

Quote:
well if you live in usa getting in the olympics will be pretty damn hard even if you are a good athlete...for a small country (african mostly) is much easier... doesnt matter if you failed to qualify for the semis/finals... still you made the olympics

if you watch the heats ( qualifications, they are on air right now ) there are peeps running around 12 seconds in 100m( last in the race but still olympic level )... any good athlete can run that fast with some training... also the same can be said for swimming

as being a championship level in the olympics? probably badminton

You go play badminton at Olympic level and you won't even see the shuttlecock. Badminton is crazy underrated.

Quote:
"Badminton is the fastest racquet sport in the world with shuttles reaching speeds of up to 332 km/h (206 mph) (faster than the speed of the Eurostar train)."

Quote:
"The shuttlecock is poised to enter the Guinness Book of Records at 162 miles per hour (261 kph) -- the speed it travels on the smash -- compared to squash's 151 mph (243 kph) and a mere 138 mph (222 kph) for tennis. Badminton's promoters hope the speed record might bolster the sport's image and help move it out of other racket sports' shadows, particularly in regions where tennis and squash reign supreme. Besides Guinness, I saw some books claiming the speed for shuttlecock is about 300 km/h."

http://hypertextbook.com/facts/2006/ShuMeiDeng.shtml
Lebowsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 08:32 AM   #93
alenleomessi
GloryhunterSinceThe90s

that might be the starting speed.. but quickly it gets much slower and its not that hard to catch if you have good reflexes...
but anyway Mr Iknowiteverything why dont you tell us what is the easiest olympic sport?!
alenleomessi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 08:58 AM   #94
Lebowsky
Hi, how are you?

Quote:
that might be the starting speed.. but quickly it gets much slower and its not that hard to catch if you have good reflexes...
but anyway Mr Iknowiteverything why dont you tell us what is the easiest olympic sport?!
I don't know, but I've played badminton competitively and I know it isn't. Not only does it require great technique, but also great footwork and reflexes. It's fast as hell, and exhausting. Hitting a shuttle with a racket is one thing, playing badminton is a whole different one.
Now if we're speaking about your country, it's probably goat milking.
Old 08-03-2012, 09:04 AM   #95
Jasi
Quality?

No way it is easy reaching the olympic level at badminton. Are you nuts?

It seems to me like you guys (Nick Young, alen and others) consider sports you just don't know in depth as easy
Jasi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 09:24 AM   #96
DonD13
glew up ☆

Thumbs up Re: What is the easiest Olympic sport?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasi

It seems to me like you guys (Nick Young, alen and others) consider sports you just don't know in depth as easy

yeah, this, sports fans are funny

those guys train hard for years nearly every day but the ISH community would beat them all....
DonD13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 10:23 AM   #97
NotYetGreat
Great college starter

Kinda late here but I don't think there is such a thing as EASY olympic sport. There definitely are simple ones, but simple doesn't always mean easy. Sure, rules and basics are easy to grasp, but the amount of TIME, TRAINING, & COMMITMENT of majority of olympic athletes is something that not everyone can handle. For a lot of these dudes, it's their LIFE. Sure, you may love playing basketball, picking heavy stuff off the ground, and diving gracefully into a body of water, but imagine that 3-4x a day, at least 5 days a week, 52 weeks a year (well, not really because their training involves planned/"scientifically placed" down times in order to increase their skill in their sport). I wouldn't call that easy, regardless of what sport it is.
NotYetGreat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 10:27 AM   #98
Boomerang
Serious playground baller

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonD13
yeah, this, sports fans are funny

those guys train hard for years nearly every day but the ISH community would beat them all....
No.. just me. I'm good at everything I do.
I have played at HS levels winning 3 straight championships for both bball and vball. I then went on an intellectual run and got my engineering degree, and now grabbing my law degree. I accomplish what I want.
Everything I do i'm good at Now for the olympic gold..

Just a young man trying to collect accolades on his limited time on earth
Boomerang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 10:33 AM   #99
Osiris
Banned

Trampoline?
Osiris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 11:05 AM   #100
alenleomessi
GloryhunterSinceThe90s

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasi

well if badminton isnt easy to reach then nothing really is, so the thread is kind of pointless, everyone can just throw in random sports.. and that spanish nerd will just tell us how hard the sport is ( since he obviously played it at a high level )
alenleomessi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 11:33 AM   #101
Lebowsky
Hi, how are you?

Quote:
well if badminton isnt easy to reach then nothing really is, so the thread is kind of pointless, everyone can just throw in random sports.. and that spanish nerd will just tell us how hard the sport is ( since he obviously played it at a high level )
I never said I played at a high level, not even close to it. I said I played it competitively. I didn't have anything close to the necessary talent to play at a high level. You should abstain from commenting on sports you've never played. It makes you look like a fool, but then again, so does every other post you've ever made on this board.
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: