Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 08-02-2012, 03:09 PM   #1
DaHeezy
College star

DaHeezy has a bad reputationDaHeezy has a bad reputationDaHeezy has a bad reputation
Default How far is too far to micromanage?

I was at my national business conference and the CEO of our company had implemented a new system to have our businesses run more efficiently. It intergrates everything including my outlook, client portfolios, and SQL reports that our front office runs all under one program. Great program and I definately am on board.

In order for us to minimize devices the CEO is buying all account managers new mobiles that are compatable with the new program. Great, free phone. One thing that was mentioned though was a GPS will be installed in each and every phone. It will track our day to day appointments.

Is this right? I feel it's an invasion of privacy. I don't cheet on appointments but is it right for him to track our every moves?
Thoughts?
DaHeezy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 03:12 PM   #2
Raz

Default Re: How far is too far to micromanage?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaHeezy
Is this right? I feel it's an invasion of privacy. I don't cheet on appointments but is it right for him to track our every moves?
Thoughts?

I think it's dirty. Take that phone down to the closest Korean phone shop and have them disable that shit.
Old 08-02-2012, 03:17 PM   #3
KevinNYC
Toronto Mayor Rob Ford

KevinNYC is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKevinNYC is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKevinNYC is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKevinNYC is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKevinNYC is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKevinNYC is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKevinNYC is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKevinNYC is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKevinNYC is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKevinNYC is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKevinNYC is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
I was at my national business conference and the CEO of our company had implemented a new system to have our businesses run more efficiently. It intergrates everything including my outlook, client portfolios, and SQL reports that our front office runs all under one program. Great program and I definately am on board.

In order for us to minimize devices the CEO is buying all account managers new mobiles that are compatable with the new program. Great, free phone. One thing that was mentioned though was a GPS will be installed in each and every phone. It will track our day to day appointments.

Thoughts?

I would definitely ask Human Resources, how this is intended to implemented because it does seem there is a potential for abuse. You also don't have too much leeway. Don't know how it is in Canada, but in the US an employer can monitor employees, use of "work computers and equipment."

Is most of your day appointment based? There can be valid reasons they are doing this, like they going to look at aggregate date and determine trends based on that. But they could just as easily track your hour to hour movements. Also are you expected to have these phones active when you're off work? Because that GPS isn't going to shut off.
KevinNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 03:18 PM   #4
DaHeezy
College star

DaHeezy has a bad reputationDaHeezy has a bad reputationDaHeezy has a bad reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raz
I think it's dirty. Take that phone down to the closest Korean phone shop and have them disable that shit.

We haven't even decided on accepting the phones yet. There's still debate about which mobile would be the most efficient. But I'm all for a free phone.

But yeah it does seem dirty. Almost an invasion of privacy.
Old 08-02-2012, 03:19 PM   #5
Godzuki
Very good NBA starter

Godzuki has no real reputation yet.

Quote:

Thoughts?

yeah if they're giving you the phone and not forcing you to install it on your phone its perfectly legit. a lot of companies put GPS in their drivers vehicles to track where they go, or how much time they spend at one place.
Godzuki is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 03:22 PM   #6
DaHeezy
College star

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinNYC
I would definitely ask Human Resources, how this is intended to implemented because it does seem there is a potential for abuse. You also don't have too much leeway. Don't know how it is in Canada, but in the US an employer can monitor employees, use of "work computers and equipment."

Is most of your day appointment based? There can be valid reasons they are doing this, like they going to look at aggregate date and determine trends based on that. But they could just as easily track your hour to hour movements. Also are you expected to have these phones active when you're off work? Because that GPS isn't going to shut off.

Most of my day is appointment based. I work as a business consultant and work from home. My mobile doubles as my personal mobile as well so yes I have it on at all times.

This system we have already schedules our appointment to Outlook for review and after every appointment we are required to make reports detailing meetings. So tracking where we go wouldn't really add any additional input.
Old 08-02-2012, 03:24 PM   #7
DaHeezy
College star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godzuki
yeah if they're giving you the phone and not forcing you to install it on your phone its perfectly legit. a lot of companies put GPS in their drivers vehicles to track where they go, or how much time they spend at one place.

Problem is that the GPS doesn't shut off. I really don't want to reveal what I do on my down time. I have nothing to hide, but I still feel invaded.
Old 08-02-2012, 03:26 PM   #8
rufuspaul
Kubla Kemba

rufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Problem is that the GPS doesn't shut off. I really don't want to reveal what I do on my down time. I have nothing to hide, but I still feel invaded.

Are you required to have the company phone on you at all times?
rufuspaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 03:26 PM   #9
Godzuki
Very good NBA starter

Godzuki has no real reputation yet.

Quote:

but you don't have to use or take the company phone with you when you're not working, right?
Godzuki is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 03:29 PM   #10
DaHeezy
College star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godzuki
but you don't have to use or take the company phone with you when you're not working, right?

It doubles as my personal mobile. When I was contracted they took on my personal number. I have far too many business contacts to change that now.

Plus I always liked the tax write off
Old 08-02-2012, 03:29 PM   #11
DaHeezy
College star

Quote:
Originally Posted by rufuspaul

It doubles as my personal. (see recent response)
Old 08-02-2012, 03:30 PM   #12
Raz

Quote:
Originally Posted by rufuspaul

rufuspaul and Da Heezy friends at last!

Two good posters, nice work making up guys

P.S. I really detest millwad, I hope he falls and gets impaled on an IKEA chair.
Old 08-02-2012, 03:31 PM   #13
Myth
NBA Legend and Hall of Famer

Myth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

If there is a way to only monitor the employees while they are at work, then I can see it fitting in the job description. If it is used at all regarding your personal life, that is just wrong, and should be a sue-able offense IMO for invasion of privacy. And even then, regarding the use at work, it certainly doesn't equate to trust in employees, so even though I think the employers have the right to use this technology at work, I don't know if it is the smart thing to do for all businesses. If you are uncomfortable with it, I'm guessing others are too.
Myth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 03:32 PM   #14
Raz

Heezy, like one of the other posters said, you need to get right down to Human Resources. I worked in HR for a year, and if American law is anything like NZ law, that is a total privacy breach. Your employer has no business what you do in your spare time, or tracking you. It would be a real pain in the ass if you were lying for a sick day, but were really at an amusement park or beach
Old 08-02-2012, 03:34 PM   #15
DaHeezy
College star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raz
rufuspaul and Da Heezy friends at last!

Two good posters, nice work making up guys

P.S. I really detest millwad, I hope he falls and gets impaled on an IKEA chair.

Playing the mediator. I have no probs with the guy
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: