Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 10-05-2014, 09:01 PM   #1
embersyc
Lurker

Default Gone Girl / David Fincher

Surprised there is no thread about this movie yet.

Saw it last night, and it's probably the best movie I've seen in a while.

Fincher kind of goes back to his roots here and delivers a truly ****ed up film I can't stop thinking about. It has seriously affected my mood for over 24 hours now.

Go see it quick before the spoilers get out.

9/10

WARNING SPOILERS AHEAD!

Last edited by embersyc : 10-06-2014 at 05:20 PM.
embersyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2014, 09:16 PM   #2
BuffaloBill
Hug Life

Default Re: Gone Girl / David Fincher

There were some discussions about it in the rate the movie thread.

But yeah great movie, decent acting, great casting, not predictable like most movies. I was locked in for the entire 2 and half hours of the movie. It stayed with me for awhile after I saw it too.

Rosemund Pike nailed that shit
BuffaloBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2014, 09:27 PM   #3
Rake2204
NBA Superstar

Maybe random but, was the soundtrack legit? Trent Rezznor and Atticus Ross have been pretty on-the-money with their scores so far. I listened to it on NPR and it seems it'd work with a movie like this very well.
Rake2204 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2014, 09:28 PM   #4
Le Shaqtus
#GoKnights

It looks pretty good, should probably find the time to see it.
Le Shaqtus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2014, 09:31 PM   #5
BuffaloBill
Hug Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rake2204
Maybe random but, was the soundtrack legit? Trent Rezznor and Atticus Ross have been pretty on-the-money with their scores so far. I listened to it on NPR and it seems it'd work with a movie like this very well.

I feel like they only used 3 tracks throughout movie, I guess that was the point because they were very eerie and stuck in your head.
BuffaloBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2014, 09:53 PM   #6
Rake2204
NBA Superstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuffaloBill
I feel like they only used 3 tracks throughout movie, I guess that was the point because they were very eerie and stuck in your head.
Interesting, the score released was, like, 1.5 hours long. It all kind of had a similar feel though, so that'd make sense.
Rake2204 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2014, 11:42 PM   #7
imdaman99
Knicks all da way

Just got back from this movie. Wow what an amazing piece of work

I didn't even touch my phone for the whole time after silencing it. I was on the edge the entire movie.
Awesomely done, and I don't like Affleck much at all. Great acting, appreciated the light comedy. It's a must-watch guys. Get it done
imdaman99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2014, 11:53 PM   #8
Joyner82reload
Decent college freshman

Good movie, although the ending was rushed. If they went back and looked at the full footage of the security cameras at her ex's lakehouse, they would see she was full of s***
Joyner82reload is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2014, 07:17 AM   #9
embersyc
Lurker

The soundtrack seemed a bit muted to me (maybe because I was so engrossed in the story), didn't really notice it much, I knew it was Trent Reznor/Atticus Ross, but didn't listen beforehand. Then the credits soundtrack was sort of dark ambient.

About the cameras. They were only on the outside of the place. Not inside.
embersyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2014, 08:28 AM   #10
Thorpesaurous
NBA sixth man of the year

We should mark this with spoilers so whoever's seen it can openly discuss it, since there's already been a few minor ones in here anyway. Not that I would be bothered. I'm not one who gets too riled up about spoilers beyond something like Darth Vader is Luke's father, or Bruce Willis is dead.

I saw it Saturday night. It's long, and I'll put it in white as it's gonna be spoiler heavy:

I thought it was great. In the rate that movie thread, there was some mild griping about the acting in the first act of the movie. And it did seem a little mechanical, but at the time I had read it as this sort of weirdly idealized version of them because most of what we were seeing was coming from her diary, with her as the narrator. It all felt a little too perfect. I can not say that I had figured out at that point. Just that everything was a bit much. When she finally gets to the memories of him hitting her, it definitely did not ring true to the other things I'd seen about his character. They did a good job of making him seem like a dipshit, but that aggressively violent, especially the shot of him standing over her with the closed fist, just felt off. My feeling was we'd get some other version of the same events from him and everything would come off as this black vs. white vs. gray interpretation of the same events and we'd all learn something about "the Truth".

I enjoyed where it went from there. My main complaint with the whole thing was I thought Rosamund Pike (not really my type, but stunningly gorgeous) got a little off the rails after the robbery. It was a bit over the top. I also wasn't fond of the Neil Patrick Harris Desi character. There just wasn't enough put into it. I'm sure they trimmed out more of his history with her. I would've liked to have known more about the money, and his previous relationship with Amy, and his money. He just came off as unnecessarily creepy for the sake of mood without much cause given. I also have some basic plot issues with the Desi character. I had the same sense about the cameras as mentioned above. Although not so much that they could've figured it out from the videos. I realized that she had mapped out the camera stuff and knew she made a convincing case. My thing was that a guy that wealthy, who is concerned about himself enough to grid out the exterior of his rediculously luxorious lake house, would almost have to be able to be accounted for during the short window they knew to be her abduction. And she did not claim it was some hired hand. She said it was him. He would almost have to have been somewhere with someone even somewhat before or after those events, or on a camera somewhere, that would eliminate him from being there to abduct her. That occurred to me in part because the whole rape death scene was so crazy over the top. But overall, whatever, it is a movie. And it was really enjoyable regardless.

I've said this in regard to other mystery movies like this, but often characters come off a little one note. It's in large part because they're trying not to expose things. But this I thought they did some really good work with some small roles. I liked Affleck. Some of the other guys in the movie thread didn't seem to like him. I don't remember if it was Myth or DonD that mentioned that he seems to have issues with romantic connections. I was alright with that here because like I said I read those early scenes as being surreal and stiff anyway. Go, his sister, I thought was spectacular. Carrie Coon, who practically saved The Leftover's on HBO for me as it plunged into darker and darker places every Sunday, I thought was perfect. Her range of emotion was about the most honestly exposed any character seemed to get, since Affleck was in some sort of shock and clearly had some kind of defense mechanism in his character, and Pike's Amazing Amy went from idealized past to psychotic blank staring. The only other character that got enough time to do anything was Kim Dickens as Detective Boney, and she was all calculating narrative pusher. She's another one I'm fond of going back to Deadwood and now Sons of Anarchy. It was nice to see her play something other than a Lady Pimp. I also thought the spectacular Emily Ratajkowski was surprisingly competent even beyond taking her shirt off in the three scenes she was in. And the woman who played the Nancy Grace character, the idiot neighbor, and Tyler Perry were spectacular as brief comic relief and satire. Even the one scene with the girl who takes the selfie (the chick I like from Episodes with Matt LaBlanc), was funny.

I will also say, it didn't feel like a Fincher flick. It wasn't quite as interesting looking, as shadowy and murky, as I'm accostumed to. And as was pointed out, I liked the score from Reznor, but it did feel muted. It didn't pop the way it did in The Social Network. The more brightly lit almost idealized suburban textures felt almost like something Sam Mendes would've done. And the comic bits, especially the satirical stuff, didn't feel like something I typically associate with Fincher. And while I addressed my take on the stiff acting and less fleshed out characters, the more straight chomping of plot without the more complex characters didn't feel as Fincher-y as I can recall. But it was all very well done. Maybe working from such a direct existing work drove things more.

Also my mother is reading the book. I was going to take her, but she's only about halfway through. I did talk to her about it ahead of time, and she told me about the style of the book (it bounces back and forth from the diary entries to Nick current day being investigated). Apparently because you're getting direct from Nick's POV, it never occurs to her he's the guy, which is drastically different than the movie. But he does do some fishy stuff with the secret cell phone, which is touched on here, but I may not have noticed as much had she also told me about his chapter in the book where he admits to the mistress. I'm curious if anyone else picked up on the cell phone stuff much before the obvious scene with the father in the car?

Overall a really good movie experience. Fun to see in a crowd and get all the WTF ambience of a theatre. I also saw The Equalizer this weekend which I liked, but wasn't especially good. About a month ago I saw The Drop, which I seemed to like more than most, and I'd say it's a toss up between that and this for me. Both have strengths and weeknesses. This will get more press though.
Thorpesaurous is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2014, 08:38 AM   #11
ArbitraryWater
#KobeWouldaWon

Where can I watch this Movie online? Haven't found anything yet..
ArbitraryWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2014, 09:58 AM   #12
riseagainst
Lebron fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArbitraryWater
Where can I watch this Movie online? Haven't found anything yet..

i think this is one of those movies that is worth watching in the theaters. Totally worth the money.
riseagainst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2014, 11:08 AM   #13
Myth
NBA Legend and Hall of Famer

8.5/10 good movie for me. First Fincher movie I have liked in a long time.
Myth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2014, 03:46 PM   #14
Thorpesaurous
NBA sixth man of the year

Pretty good take from Teo Bugbee from Grantland. She seems to touch on a couple things that we already mentioned here, like the coldness from the first act. I'm considering reading the book, which I don't usually do once I've seen a movie.

Quote:
Once in Love With Amy: How David Fincher Changed ‘Gone Girl’
Movies

October 6, 2014
by Teo Bugbee
FacebookTwitterEmailPrint
From the moment it hit bookstands in 2012, Gone Girl was pegged as a 21st century battle of the sexes, its protagonists Nick and Amy locked in a murderous duet, fighting for control of their marriage. There’s still a battle at the heart of Gone Girl, but the field has shifted. There’s a new player on the board, and David Fincher always plays to be seen.

The “he said, she said” structure of Gillian Flynn’s novel has the familiarity of courtroom pitter-patter. Nick and Amy are unreliable narrators. They keep secrets from us, and Flynn teaches us to question their intentions, all the while masking her own. What looks like a fair fight from the outside, chapters divvied nicely into his and hers, is Flynn’s own deception, a lesson in manipulation she might have pulled off one of Amy’s journal pages. Flynn role-plays as both halves of the couple, but it’s Amy’s voice — vivid, metropolitan, funny — that jumps off the page. Nick might open the book, but Amy ends it. Flynn takes the tradition of misogyny within the crime genre and flips it, turning Gone Girl into a slyly misandrist assertion of women’s rights and their power within a marriage.

In Flynn’s version of Gone Girl, marriage is a battleground, and it’s a battle that women can win so long as they’re willing to use any means necessary, even if that means fabricating abuse, rape, and pregnancy. All of those head games make for a fun (if perverse) read, but for millions of women, Gone Girl was better than fun. It was satisfying. Amy’s famous Cool Girl monologue, wherein she dismantles the male fantasy of the Size 2 perpetually-in-the-mood dream girl who drinks beer and loves sports, who doesn’t mind changing for her man, became iconic, with Tumblr reblogs and breathless BuzzFeed articles hailing its insight and power. In the book, we watch Amy decimate Nick, and Flynn lets us pretend that what we’re seeing is a fair fight.1
But Fincher, for better or worse, has never been interested in giving the people what they want. From the moment that Rosamund Pike turns her perfect head to face the screen in that opening shot, her cool gaze flicking carelessly past the camera, past us — there can be no mistaking her for anything but Ben Affleck’s superior. And ours too. What was a battle of the sexes becomes a game of cat and mouse. Fincher knows the mouse can never really compete with the cat, and he doesn’t waste time pretending.

And that’s the difference between Gone Girl the book and Gone Girl the film: There’s still a marriage at the heart of the story, but it’s no longer a dysfunctional one. Amy’s found her match — not in her husband, but her director.

♦♦♦

It’s easy to see what drew Fincher to Amy. You only have to look at his luxury-lined, supermodel-chic music videos — “Vogue,” “Freedom! ’90,” “Express Yourself” — to see this is a man with an appreciation for excellence. Amy is an icy intellectual, but not without a sense of humor. There’s a threat of violence just underneath her glassy surface. But above all, she is a director. Amy sets the scene, manipulating the lowly players of her life — her husband, her parents, her ex — with the confidence and rigor of a master. She wins over the fickle media. She earns her audience. Amy is everything Fincher is but better, improved with the magic wand of fiction.

Like all good partnerships, Fincher and Amy take time to grow into each other. Coldness is a criticism that has dogged Fincher through his entire career, and for the first half of Gone Girl it seems like he’ll coast on the same detachment that served The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo, that Amy Dunne might remain frozen the way his Lisbeth Salander did. But as Amy’s persona unfolds (and to her immense credit, as Pike’s performance unfolds with her), so does Fincher. By the time she’s reached her second reinvention — back to fighting form, wrapped in silks, ready to kill — Fincher is ready to meet her. His compositions are more precise, his edits even more machine-gun ready, and that final act is looser, funnier, and more relaxed than Fincher has been in at least a decade.

By all accounts, Fincher and Flynn’s partnership has been far too harmonious for them to be considered combatants — but Gone Girl feels fraught anyway. As feminism has become part of the routine in assessing media and culture, there has been an increasing demand for women to be the ones telling women’s stories, for women to escape the confines of men’s imaginations. But maybe we give ourselves too much credit. Maybe we overlook the ways that women hold each other down, the way we demand each other’s ordinariness. The way women want women to be good, but not too good — the way sisterhood can sometimes stand in the way of becoming our best selves. A great partnership is a survival tactic. Can our idea of feminism accommodate the times when a male gaze offers more power than a female one?

Gone Girl is that all too rare provocation that aims for the mind as much as the senses. As reviews pour in and viewers plant their flags in the sand, choosing which among the many sides of Fincher and Flynn’s film will be the one that they defend — it looks like Fincher’s laid one last trap. On one hand he gives us Amy — his mirror image, his match. On the other, Margo, Nick’s kind, loving twin sister — appropriately horrified at her horrifying sister-in-law and ordinary in every way. One magnificent, the other average. Do you want to be moral? Are you satisfied with your mediocrity? Who do you choose?

Nick picks Amy. And for those who would choose otherwise, Gone Girl gets one last laugh.
Thorpesaurous is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2014, 04:25 PM   #15
Crown&Coke
Stay Strong Droth

I don't have a huge desire to watch this. But that blonde is beautiful.

Apparently someone gets naked, I hope its her
Crown&Coke is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: