Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 11-02-2012, 02:48 AM   #1
therammingman
National High School Star

therammingman has a very bad reputationtherammingman has a very bad reputationtherammingman has a very bad reputationtherammingman has a very bad reputation
Default what's the healthiest candy you can usually find in your typical supermarket aisle?

Peanut M&Ms?

they have a fairly low GI. Anything else?
therammingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 03:42 AM   #2
miller-time
NBA sixth man of the year

miller-time is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postermiller-time is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postermiller-time is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postermiller-time is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postermiller-time is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postermiller-time is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postermiller-time is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postermiller-time is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postermiller-time is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postermiller-time is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster
Default Re: what's the healthiest candy you can usually find in your typical supermarket aisle?

dark chocolate is supposed to be pretty good. it is apparently high in antioxidants.
miller-time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 09:23 AM   #3
JohnnySic
green is good

JohnnySic has an incredible reputation hereJohnnySic has an incredible reputation hereJohnnySic has an incredible reputation hereJohnnySic has an incredible reputation hereJohnnySic has an incredible reputation hereJohnnySic has an incredible reputation hereJohnnySic has an incredible reputation hereJohnnySic has an incredible reputation here
Default Re: what's the healthiest candy you can usually find in your typical supermarket aisle?

^That. Plain dark chocolate.
JohnnySic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 11:34 AM   #4
KevinNYC
Toronto Mayor Rob Ford

KevinNYC is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKevinNYC is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKevinNYC is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKevinNYC is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKevinNYC is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKevinNYC is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKevinNYC is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKevinNYC is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKevinNYC is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKevinNYC is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKevinNYC is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

You can probably find these most places

I would also guess these better than most.
KevinNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 12:00 PM   #5
FillJackson
I brick open layups

FillJackson has an OK reputation so far

Mounds is dark chocolate plus coconut. Coconut is pretty good for you.

If you can resist eating the whole bar, I would spend some more and get a good bark of dark chocolate like Lindt and just eat one square at a time.
FillJackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 12:42 PM   #6
DeuceWallaces
I am your density

DeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

The darkest chocolate you can stomach.

As for traditional candy; pretzel m&m's probably have the fewest calories (150?) per bag, but peanut m&m's have at least some value without a crazy amount of calories.
DeuceWallaces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 12:43 PM   #7
Dwade305
el pollo loco siiiiiii

Dwade305 has not been impressing people

Peanuts plus chocholate without exercie is asking to be like Whoopi Woldberg fat version/
Dwade305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 01:05 PM   #8
gigantes
A piece of fluff

gigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

dark chocolate still has a huge amount of saturated fat due to the cocoa butter content.

in the end that may or may not turn out to be alright, so for now i've totally cut out dark chocolate and just go with cocoa powder in drinks. you can replace the yumminess of the missing fat content with skim milk, soy milk, etc.

dark chocolate-covered almonds are just about the healthiest candy i can think of offhand, but a little hard to find.
gigantes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 01:17 PM   #9
Smoke117
Barstool Blues

Smoke117 has a near all-star reputation hereSmoke117 has a near all-star reputation hereSmoke117 has a near all-star reputation hereSmoke117 has a near all-star reputation hereSmoke117 has a near all-star reputation hereSmoke117 has a near all-star reputation here

If you are going to bother to eat candy you shouldn't really be worrying about health. Frankly I've never cared much for candy, chocolate especially, though I do like chocolate covered peanuts and pretzels because the of salty and sweet goes well.
Smoke117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 01:20 PM   #10
KevinNYC
Toronto Mayor Rob Ford

KevinNYC is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKevinNYC is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKevinNYC is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKevinNYC is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKevinNYC is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKevinNYC is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKevinNYC is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKevinNYC is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKevinNYC is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKevinNYC is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKevinNYC is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwade305
Peanuts plus chocholate without exercie is asking to be like Whoopi Woldberg fat version/

Not really the question is it? Is this is this better than a Milky Way bar is the question

Nobody is suggesting that his entire diet be peanut m&m's

Last edited by KevinNYC : 11-02-2012 at 01:26 PM.
Old 11-02-2012, 01:25 PM   #11
KevinNYC
Toronto Mayor Rob Ford

Quote:
Originally Posted by gigantes
dark chocolate still has a huge amount of saturated fat due to the cocoa butter content.

in the end that may or may not turn out to be alright, so for now i've totally cut out dark chocolate and just go with cocoa powder in drinks. you can replace the yumminess of the missing fat content with skim milk, soy milk, etc.

dark chocolate-covered almonds are just about the healthiest candy i can think of offhand, but a little hard to find.

I contest that the sugar is the issue, not the cocoa butter. The darker the chocolate, the less sugar usually.
Old 11-02-2012, 01:50 PM   #12
gigantes
A piece of fluff

gigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinNYC
I contest that the sugar is the issue, not the cocoa butter. The darker the chocolate, the less sugar usually.
AFAIK the cocoa butter content stays in the same area no matter how the sugar / cocoa solids change. if you compare a sugary milk chocolate bar with a 70%+ dark chocolate bar, the sat fat content is sky high in both.

that said, i definitely agree that keeping the darkness up and the sugar down is the way to go.
Old 11-02-2012, 06:26 PM   #13
miller-time
NBA sixth man of the year

miller-time is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postermiller-time is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postermiller-time is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postermiller-time is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postermiller-time is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postermiller-time is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postermiller-time is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postermiller-time is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postermiller-time is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postermiller-time is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoke117
If you are going to bother to eat candy you shouldn't really be worrying about health. Frankly I've never cared much for candy, chocolate especially, though I do like chocolate covered peanuts and pretzels because the of salty and sweet goes well.

combining salty and sweet is the best thing ever - especially using chocolate for the sweet.
miller-time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 07:19 AM   #14
NotYetGreat
Great college starter

NotYetGreat has a terrific reputationNotYetGreat has a terrific reputationNotYetGreat has a terrific reputationNotYetGreat has a terrific reputationNotYetGreat has a terrific reputationNotYetGreat has a terrific reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by gigantes
AFAIK the cocoa butter content stays in the same area no matter how the sugar / cocoa solids change. if you compare a sugary milk chocolate bar with a 70%+ dark chocolate bar, the sat fat content is sky high in both.

that said, i definitely agree that keeping the darkness up and the sugar down is the way to go.

I definitely think it's the sugar. Saturated fats, when coming from healthy, non-crap sources, are incredibly important for promoting healthy hormone production and, as counterintuitive as media and medical companies have made it out to be, heart health.
NotYetGreat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 11:01 AM   #15
gigantes
A piece of fluff

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotYetGreat
I definitely think it's the sugar. Saturated fats, when coming from healthy, non-crap sources, are incredibly important for promoting healthy hormone production and, as counterintuitive as media and medical companies have made it out to be, heart health.
not disputing. i would just eat those healthy sat fats in moderation.

sugar- definitely. i've cut out all refined sugar from my diet and i do feel better.
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: