Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Streetball Forum

Streetball Forum Streetball Message Board - street basketball and streetball forum

Old 08-05-2012, 02:28 PM   #1
swe_suns
Serious playground baller

swe_suns has an OK reputation so far
Default Shooting style

I am 5 11 ft (realtively quick, thin and long wingspan) and play mostly SG but sometimes PG. I am having trouble deciding which way I want to shoot during games:

a) Rip: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PzLA78Qb3fg
b) Manu: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LhWOfM7vwPc

I am definitively more accurate when shooting like Manu. The problem is that it takes more time to get the shot of using b). Also one has to fight much harder to create space to get the shot off considering I'm not tall. The problem I have with a) is that it kills my legs (i.e. it is very exhausting to get the shot off) which ultimately lowers my %.

What do you guys suggest I should do? a) or b) or both? Maybe I should use b) when I am open and a) when I think that I might get blocked? Maybe I should hit the gym and work on my legs and stamina? Suggestions?
swe_suns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 03:06 PM   #2
TMacMagic
I hit open 5-footers

TMacMagic has decent reputation
Default Re: Shooting style

Shawn Marion. All day errday.
TMacMagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 03:09 PM   #3
Burgz V2
Decent college freshman

Burgz V2 is a pretty well-respected posterBurgz V2 is a pretty well-respected posterBurgz V2 is a pretty well-respected poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by swe_suns
I am 5 11 ft (realtively quick, thin and long wingspan) and play mostly SG but sometimes PG. I am having trouble deciding which way I want to shoot during games:

a) Rip: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PzLA78Qb3fg
b) Manu: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LhWOfM7vwPc

I am definitively more accurate when shooting like Manu. The problem is that it takes more time to get the shot of using b). Also one has to fight much harder to create space to get the shot off considering I'm not tall. The problem I have with a) is that it kills my legs (i.e. it is very exhausting to get the shot off) which ultimately lowers my %.

What do you guys suggest I should do? a) or b) or both? Maybe I should use b) when I am open and a) when I think that I might get blocked? Maybe I should hit the gym and work on my legs and stamina? Suggestions?

everyone's body is different, and therefore different things may work well for you and not others

there are things that are consistent with both that you should emulate:

1) wrist stays locked until the follow through

2) L shape in elbow

3) "ten toes to the hole"

4) finishing with elbow above eye level

5) ball never touches their palms

from there just shoot the ball and make sure you are comfortable doing it

in terms of stamina find a friend and do this drill: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=npOv7j8usTI

makes are 1 misses are minus 2 and you are trying to get to +5. Then try to get to +10. It's alot harder than it looks

then, when that's too easy for you do this drill: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lyWFyx9jhhE

these are really great drills that I have used since HS, I'm very confident with my shooting ability now. I'm 6'2 but I play with a lot of bigger guys so I have the same problems as you getting my shot off.

Last edited by Burgz V2 : 08-05-2012 at 03:14 PM.
Burgz V2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 03:32 PM   #4
SourPatchKids
Banned

SourPatchKids is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSourPatchKids is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSourPatchKids is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSourPatchKids is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSourPatchKids is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSourPatchKids is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSourPatchKids is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSourPatchKids is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSourPatchKids is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSourPatchKids is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSourPatchKids is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

If it goes in, it works.
SourPatchKids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 03:36 PM   #5
swe_suns

swe_suns has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burgz V2
everyone's body is different, and therefore different things may work well for you and not others

2) L shape in elbow

in terms of stamina find a friend and do this drill: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=npOv7j8usTI

makes are 1 misses are minus 2 and you are trying to get to +5. Then try to get to +10. It's alot harder than it looks

then, when that's too easy for you do this drill: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lyWFyx9jhhE

these are really great drills that I have used since HS, I'm very confident with my shooting ability now. I'm 6'2 but I play with a lot of bigger guys so I have the same problems as you getting my shot off.

Solid suggestions, I will try it out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SourPatchKids
If it goes in, it works.

That's kind of the whole point, it works if I am open but it doesn't if I am being guarded.
swe_suns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 05:43 PM   #6
SourPatchKids
Banned

SourPatchKids is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSourPatchKids is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSourPatchKids is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSourPatchKids is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSourPatchKids is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSourPatchKids is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSourPatchKids is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSourPatchKids is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSourPatchKids is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSourPatchKids is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSourPatchKids is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by swe_suns
Solid suggestions, I will try it out.

That's kind of the whole point, it works if I am open but it doesn't if I am being guarded.
Is it because your release is too slow or that your form changes when under pressure.
SourPatchKids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 10:32 PM   #7
cuad
kings fan

cuad has decent reputationcuad has decent reputation

Quick, good elevation, and no wasted motion just like Jerry West.

Last edited by cuad : 08-05-2012 at 10:40 PM.
cuad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 01:19 AM   #8
Pushxx
Anti-NBA Hipster

Pushxx is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPushxx is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPushxx is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPushxx is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPushxx is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPushxx is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPushxx is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPushxx is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

You should figure out the form that works best for you instead of trying to find someone else's form that works for you.

Don't pick a player to emulate. It's not like all aspects of your form have to match Manu or Rip. Take parts of both that work for you to optimize accuracy, elevation, balance, speed, etc.
Pushxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 09:59 AM   #9
Lebron23
Most Valuable Player

Lebron23 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLebron23 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLebron23 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLebron23 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLebron23 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLebron23 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLebron23 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLebron23 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLebron23 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLebron23 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLebron23 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Reggie Miller Style.
Lebron23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 11:29 AM   #10
01amberfirewv

01amberfirewv has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burgz V2

2) L shape in elbow

Looks about right
01amberfirewv is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: