Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Utah Jazz Forum

Utah Jazz Forum Utah Jazz forum - Utah Jazz message board

Old 06-25-2006, 01:20 AM   #16
hotsizzle
Superstar

hotsizzle has an incredible reputation herehotsizzle has an incredible reputation herehotsizzle has an incredible reputation herehotsizzle has an incredible reputation herehotsizzle has an incredible reputation herehotsizzle has an incredible reputation herehotsizzle has an incredible reputation herehotsizzle has an incredible reputation here

white people are usually more fundamentaly sound about the game. which is exactly the kind of ball sloan likes to play.
hotsizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2006, 01:24 AM   #17
reppy
Apparently likes anime

reppy has an incredible reputation herereppy has an incredible reputation herereppy has an incredible reputation herereppy has an incredible reputation herereppy has an incredible reputation herereppy has an incredible reputation herereppy has an incredible reputation herereppy has an incredible reputation here

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamcz
I think we're on the same page. Blacks can hold priesthood, but the belief in a curse was never explained away, or taken back, or ever mentioned again. There are probably some who still believe it over there, and it's one way to help explain why Utah always has 2x the league average of white people on their roster. How else can we explain it?

I was raised Mormon and my father and some members of my family still goto church. I asked my dad about it. He explained it like this:

"Blacks weren't ready for the priesthood. Once they asked for it, the curse was lifted. God isn't going to put the burden on someone who isn't ready for it."

One of those "you're only as responsible for what you know and what's expected of you" things. Once you ask for more, more is expected of you.

It was a fairly decent explanation, in my opinion. I know my dad and I know he's no racist. I get my zany liberal ideas from him.
reppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2006, 01:35 AM   #18
Zombles
Local High School Star

Zombles has decent reputation

Quote:
Point is, Utah is more racist than your average state.

No ****.

But basically the entire South falls under that description as well. Much rather be a black man in Utah then a black man in Alabama or Mississippi.
Zombles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2006, 01:40 AM   #19
ExpatSunsFan
Local High School Star

ExpatSunsFan has an OK reputation so far

Two main reasons IMO.

First, most black NBA players don't want to play in Utah. IMO the effect of this goes beyond free agency and affects the team's draft philosophy--why pick an, uh, 'urban' player if he's going to run at the first opportunity? It's no coincidence the Jazz were one of the first teams scouting in Europe, and that they're still more likely to draft foreign than any team besides possibly San Antonio.

Second reason is Jerry Sloan's coaching philosophy. He puts a premium on effort, unselfishness and showing total commitment, and those are areas that some white players specialize in (possibly because of their upbringings, or because they feel it's their best chance to stick). Also, he employs a lot of stiff centers, which is another white-guy specialty.
ExpatSunsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2006, 01:51 AM   #20
Zombles
Local High School Star

Zombles has decent reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExpatSunsFan
Second reason is Jerry Sloan's coaching philosophy. He puts a premium on effort, unselfishness and showing total commitment, and those are areas that some white players specialize in

Those are areas some black players specialize in as well.
Zombles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2006, 04:35 AM   #21
dab0yech0
3 Ball like Piatkowski

dab0yech0 has an incredible reputation heredab0yech0 has an incredible reputation heredab0yech0 has an incredible reputation heredab0yech0 has an incredible reputation heredab0yech0 has an incredible reputation heredab0yech0 has an incredible reputation here

Even Deron Williams and Carlos Boozer are not very dark. I bet Devin Brown's skin tone is lighter every year hes in Utah.
dab0yech0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2006, 05:43 AM   #22
Heretik32
Myrrh

Heretik32 is considered somewhat coolHeretik32 is considered somewhat coolHeretik32 is considered somewhat cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExpatSunsFan
First, most black NBA players don't want to play in Utah. IMO the effect of this goes beyond free agency and affects the team's draft philosophy--why pick an, uh, 'urban' player if he's going to run at the first opportunity? It's no coincidence the Jazz were one of the first teams scouting in Europe, and that they're still more likely to draft foreign than any team besides possibly San Antonio.

Good point, Utah have a bad standing with FAs. Just remember that they wanted to sign Terry.
Heretik32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2006, 09:56 AM   #23
adamcz
Bucks fan

adamcz is considered somewhat cooladamcz is considered somewhat cooladamcz is considered somewhat cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by reppy
I was raised Mormon and my father and some members of my family still goto church. I asked my dad about it. He explained it like this:

"Blacks weren't ready for the priesthood. Once they asked for it, the curse was lifted. God isn't going to put the burden on someone who isn't ready for it."

One of those "you're only as responsible for what you know and what's expected of you" things. Once you ask for more, more is expected of you.

It was a fairly decent explanation, in my opinion. I know my dad and I know he's no racist. I get my zany liberal ideas from him.
No offense intended to you or your father, but that's complete BS, and I hope we're all smarter than to swallow a story like that. Martin Luther King wasn't ready for priesthood? (Saint) John Coltrane? Granted, I wasn't alive in 1978, but I do know some black people who are over 50, and who seem like the kind of guys who would've been ready for priesthood. To pretend it's anything other than blatant biggotry is insane.
adamcz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2006, 10:01 AM   #24
Skywalker
LFC|JAYS|RAPS|VIKES

Skywalker is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSkywalker is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSkywalker is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSkywalker is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSkywalker is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSkywalker is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSkywalker is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSkywalker is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSkywalker is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSkywalker is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSkywalker is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

How many did they have when they made the finals?
Skywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2006, 10:04 AM   #25
adamcz
Bucks fan

adamcz is considered somewhat cooladamcz is considered somewhat cooladamcz is considered somewhat cool

The earliest year I checked was their 2nd year in the finals, and they had 5 white people, or twice the league average.
adamcz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2006, 10:08 AM   #26
Jerm
I'm trying to improve myself. I'm the new, better Jerm

Jerm has an OK reputation so far

Dude, what do you have against mormons?...Last I checked, they had bald headed white folks in the fold.
Jerm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2006, 10:11 AM   #27
Skywalker
LFC|JAYS|RAPS|VIKES

Skywalker is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSkywalker is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSkywalker is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSkywalker is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSkywalker is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSkywalker is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSkywalker is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSkywalker is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSkywalker is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSkywalker is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSkywalker is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

I would be convinced if they trade Boozer and Deron for like Foster and JAsikevicius lol.
Skywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2006, 10:22 AM   #28
DreamRuled
Kids at the park dunk on me

DreamRuled has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
According to http://www.villagevoice.com/news/000...o,12566,3.html white people make up 21% of the NBA, which is an average of 2.5 white people per team.

Do you think there will ever come a time when Utah's roster will include a demographic makeup that is more in line with the league average?

If your going to talk about percentages and averages, then how about this:

In the year 2000, America was 75% white. When will the whole league stop being so racist and start drafting more in line with the national average?

Just a thought.

For the most part, what Utah has done has been fairly successful, so why knock it?
DreamRuled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2006, 10:26 AM   #29
GOBB
Sixers|Eagles|Phillies

GOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

No one wants to live in Utah. Its really that simple. And players will pass uip the amount of money and take less to go somewhere that they feel is better. You gotta remember some enjoy the nightlife, lifestyle of a city, others have families to support. So you arent just moving yourself to play for Utah. You're relocating your familiy...wife, kids. That has an affect on them and how well they adapt to a new situation.
GOBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2006, 10:27 AM   #30
Bourne
Valancais for RoY

Bourne has not been impressing people

This thread will only end up in racist comments, this is ISH, people.

The only good thing I can see coming of it is the knowledge that mormons think black people are cursed!

The white people are harry potter or something?
Bourne is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: