Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Old 01-22-2007, 02:38 PM   #1
Vendetta
Banned

Default David Stern to ban players from nightclubs...

It's a NEW YORK DAILY NEWS article, so here is the link to the NEW YORK DAILY NEWS: http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/ba...p-413118c.html

NBA To Ban Its Players From Certain Night Spots?
21st January, 2007 - 12:17 pm
New York Daily News -
This past week, the NBA ordered its security forces in all 29 cities to come up with a list of clubs and other night spots that should be made off-limits to players.

The shooting death of Darrent Williams is a motivating factor in the directive.

Once the clubs are identified, with the help of local law enforcement, the league will send a directive to teams mandating that players avoid those spots or be subject to a substantial fine.

===============================

Now, it's officially out of hand. Stern has gone to far and now he MUST go.

I know... I know. It's been said before... but it's always to an extent been blown out of proportion.

This is just ridiculous. It's becoming a ****ing dictatorship over these guys' PERSONAL LIVES. Not just their NBA lives... now this is just getting personal and probably infringing on these people's rights as established by the constitution in some manner. Surely there must be some sort of law against this sh|t.

What's next? Telling players who they can and who they can't marry? Banning foods? Not allowing them to watch movies unless otherwise approved? Music? Death by firing squad for showing up late to practice?

Where does the bullsh|t end?

Last edited by insidehoops : 01-22-2007 at 02:43 PM.
Vendetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2007, 02:39 PM   #2
Brunch@Five
College superstar

I agree, this is getting WAY out of hand

It seems like Stern wanting NBA players to be like circus animals or gladiators from ancient Rome.
Brunch@Five is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2007, 02:39 PM   #3
Howard5Dirk41
Banned

once again, hes not banning them from night clubs, just from notorious trouble spots to protects his employees, what is wrong with that?

He is not banning night clubs.
Howard5Dirk41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2007, 02:41 PM   #4
scotpollardshair
I airball my layups

It's funny because Stephan Jackson said he changed during the summer by becoming a man and all that bs, and than he does some dumbazz thing in the night club back in October. Basically IMO, all the player who commit such idiotic things should be the ones the can't go to the club instead of banning every single player in the NBA.
scotpollardshair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2007, 02:42 PM   #5
Rasheed1
3-time NBA All-Star

I hope this isnt true....

if it is, then Stern has lost the little bit of mind he had left......

this idea wont do anything other than offend the respectable players and be ignored by the guys it was meant for

cant regulate grown men like this....

Quote:
just from notorious trouble spots to protects his employees, what is wrong with that?

trouble by what definition?

people may not agree with what Stern considers "trouble spots"..

the main point is that Grown folks do not appreciate this stuff.

the players who conduct themselves the way they should will be p*ssed even if they dont go to clubs

Last edited by Rasheed1 : 01-22-2007 at 02:46 PM.
Rasheed1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2007, 02:48 PM   #6
TheBynumProject
Byonic

How can you call them grown men when they don't act like grown men? This is some select list of nightspots, no player should be frequenting shady places when he is getting payed millions of dollars by the fans and has a responsibility to his team.

Would the president, or an upstanding congressmen, be seen in N%WD XXX SM6TS? No, they are able to make that decision by themselves. Players apparently aren't.

If they wish to frequent these spots, they are more than welcome to. Just not while playing the NBA. Its like people act that the L doesn't have any rules or mandates for its employees. This is a job.

It has gotten pathetic how b!!tchy fans blame everything on Stern. He is the best commish in sports and I think the new ball incident cemented that status. Everyone came out saying he made the change becasue he was power hungery...he made the change to improve the game, and when it did not work, he admitted his mistake. Power hungery, LOL. He's doing everything he can to make the NBA better.

Last edited by TheBynumProject : 01-22-2007 at 02:51 PM.
TheBynumProject is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2007, 02:52 PM   #7
TomPenge30
I hit open layups

I agree, each player should have 100% commitment to there team and the league and not to nightclubs and night life. We as spectators and fans practically pay their salaries by either buying their merchandise, memoribilia, game tickets, etc. Best they could do for us is to put in the time in to show the same gratitude back and put in 100% to their team and the game. They only play for a few months a year, they could maintain their focus for that long and go out as much as they want in the off season, then again they need to maintain themselves in order to remain in good shape.
TomPenge30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2007, 02:59 PM   #8
Vendetta
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBynumProject
How can you call them grown men when they don't act like grown men? This is some select list of nightspots, no player should be frequenting shady places when he is getting payed millions of dollars by the fans and has a responsibility to his team.

Would the president, or an upstanding congressmen, be seen in N%WD XXX SM6TS? No, they are able to make that decision by themselves. Players apparently aren't.

If they wish to frequent these spots, they are more than welcome to. Just not while playing the NBA. Its like people act that the L doesn't have any rules or mandates for its employees. This is a job.

It has gotten pathetic how b!!tchy fans blame everything on Stern. He is the best commish in sports and I think the new ball incident cemented that status. Everyone came out saying he made the change becasue he was power hungery...he made the change to improve the game, and when it did not work, he admitted his mistake. Power hungery, LOL. He's doing everything he can to make the NBA better.

Are you really this stupid? It does not matter if they act like grown men or not. That's their choice, and if they don't... they'll deal with the consequences in one form or another. It's not the NBA's job to police these players' lives outside of NBA related activities.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomPenge30
I agree, each player should have 100% commitment to there team and the league and not to nightclubs and night life. We as spectators and fans practically pay their salaries by either buying their merchandise, memoribilia, game tickets, etc. Best they could do for us is to put in the time in to show the same gratitude back and put in 100% to their team and the game. They only play for a few months a year, they could maintain their focus for that long and go out as much as they want in the off season, then again they need to maintain themselves in order to remain in good shape.

I'll just go ahead and assume you work. In one form or another... you have customers. Maybe not the kind you find in retail, and maybe not the kind you'll find for the NBA... but you have them. We, as the fans, are customers. Would you find it acceptable for your boss to dictate your life to this extent outside of the workplace because your boss was worried about your company's image and what the customers might think? Hell no. If you say you would... you're lying.
Vendetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2007, 03:02 PM   #9
Rasheed1
3-time NBA All-Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBynumProject
How can you call them grown men when they don't act like grown men?

because they are grown men..... thats why..

and contrary to popular opinion, most of the players in the nba are good upstanding people.....

Quote:
This is some select list of nightspots,

lets see the list before we start talking about the places on it...

Quote:
no player should be frequenting shady places when he is getting payed millions of dollars by the fans and has a responsibility to his team.

if there are no legal arguments, then there is no reason they cant go anywhere they please in their free time...

and money is not a factor here.......just because people make money does not mean they are now subject to arbitrary rules made up by others with no input from players or people making the millions

Quote:
Would the president, or an upstanding congressmen, be seen in N%WD XXX SM6TS? No, they are able to make that decision by themselves.

Presidents and congressmen get caught doing worse than going to a 'trouble spot" and we havent made any dumb rules up for them yet...

Why? because its unrealistic and counterporductive, not to mention an insult to the majority of players and workers in the same field who carry themselves appropriately

Quote:
Players apparently aren't

which players? Tim Duncan? Lebron, D Wade? these guys dont deserve this type of treament.....

Quote:

No Sh*t its a job...

but guess what? they arent working when they hit these clubs so that excuse doesnt cut it...

Quote:
It has gotten pathetic how b!!tchy fans blame everything on Stern. He is the best commish in sports and I think the new ball incident cemented that status. Everyone came out saying he made the change becasue he was power hungary...he made the change to improve the game, and when it did not work, he admitted his mistake. Power hungary, LOL. He's doing everything he can to make the NBA better.

this current proposal is flat out dumb... dumber than Stern's other dumb moves...

he aint the worst, but he sure as hell aint the best

Last edited by Rasheed1 : 01-22-2007 at 03:04 PM.
Old 01-22-2007, 03:11 PM   #10
Sharas
Great college starter

it's an orwellian situation - commisioner is forbidding players to go to certain clubs. and how exactly do you differ "notorious trouble spots" from just "clubs"? guess Allmighty Commisioner will also decide on exact criteria. it's much more matter of person's behavior than certain clubs - some guys seem to find trouble wherever they go. but to forbid clubbing to EVERY NBA PLAYER? that's just plain ridiculous. they're grown men (anyway, most of them), they have every right to drink alcohol and go to strip clubs if they want to - on their own risk. whatever you think, being a nba player is actually a serious and very demanding JOB - so they deserve entertainment and diversion just like any ordinary man.

and also, how are they exactly supposed to enforce this rule? club owner is going to turn down crew of five nba players coming to his place? "sorry, i know that you were going to spend big money at my establishment but i must forbid you to enter." I DON'T THINK SO.

Last edited by Sharas : 01-22-2007 at 03:14 PM.
Sharas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2007, 03:13 PM   #11
kentatm
NBA Legend

i would say its time for Stern to go not b/c of this but b/c he has done things that stunt the Ls growth.

The most glaring example? The playoffs on cable. are you f-ing kidding? STUPID.

the NBA was #3 when he took over, its STILL #3 even with every other L shooting itself in the foot. The NFL and MLB has crippling strikes BEFORE the NBA and STILL they gained little ground.

Sterns time has passed. time to get some new blood that understands a new generation.
kentatm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2007, 03:18 PM   #12
PMshooter
High School Varsity 12th Man

Unless there's some clause in every ballers contracts, he can forget about this being enforced any time soon. It's ridiculous. Your employer can't tell where to go and not go on your free time.

I understand Stern's motivation, but this is beyond reason . . . and for jebus sake, isn't the guy's background in law?
PMshooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2007, 03:20 PM   #13
Rasheed1
3-time NBA All-Star

Quote:
The shooting death of Darrent Williams is a motivating factor in the directive.

^this guy played in the NFL, but do you see them overeacting to his death?

on a side note:

Im watchin alot of post game stuff currently involving the NFL and I see guys with baseball caps on backwards, sweats (Bill Belechick, Brett Farve) and nobody says a peep.....

Why is nobody p*ssed off about this? Arent these guys supposed to act "professional"?
Old 01-22-2007, 03:22 PM   #14
shafir
I>You. Get over it.

Stern is going too far, he cant tell players where not to go outside of the basketball court, it isnt his business. Yeah, players going to night clubs sometimes (very rare) turns out to be a problem, but what makes him think that you cant get just as drunk at one night club and not another, and not cause a problem? Maybe some night clubs are in a worse neighborhood, but the chances are, if somebody really wanted to get it going with these players, or vice versa, than a change in night clubs wont affect anything. Stern is an idiot.
shafir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2007, 03:25 PM   #15
niko
I Run NY.

Stephen Jackson almost died in an incident, he got ran over by a car. The CB on the Broncos DID die, and Hodge was seriously hurt by a gunshot.

the list is going to be a list of trouble spots that have high incidents of criminal activity.

it this so bad?
niko is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: