Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 01-24-2007, 01:04 PM   #1
TEXAS BATMAN
Retired.

TEXAS BATMAN has decent reputationTEXAS BATMAN has decent reputation
Default OT: ESPN Analyst Accused of being Anti-Semitic

Sean Salisbury Might Have Said Something He Shouldn't Have
Posted Jan 23rd 2007 10:17PM by mjd
Filed under: NFL Media Watch

On Monday's edition of "NFL Live" on ESPN, analyst Sean Salisbury made what I hope was just a massively unfortunate slip of the tongue when talking about Peyton Manning's 2nd half performance against the Patriots. Here's what actually came out of Salisbury's mouth:

"I saw a calmness about him. We've always known he's a great player, but a calmness that said, 'You know what, no need to panic. We'll nip, we'll tuck, we'll go, we'll crunch, we'll Jew, we'll do it all.' And he nickeled and dimed 'em, and Peyton made the play when it mattered."

ESPN's official position is that Salisbury said "chew," but you can hear the audio here, via Pro Football Talk, and to me, that sounds more like a "J" sound than a "ch" sound.

I'm not entirely sure what it would mean to "Jew" your way down the field (of course, I don't know how you "chew" your way down the field, either), but I hope it's not some kind of NFL locker-room lingo that ties into a stereotype that might also have to do with "nickel and diming."

And it's also entirely possible that it was one of those things where you mean to say one thing, and another comes out, or you're thinking of two different words, and what actually comes out of your mouth is a hybrid of the two. People misspeak all the time, and Salisbury should probably get the benefit of the doubt and a chance to explain himself before he gets labeled an anti-Semite.

Either way, I think it's safe to assume that the cell phone pictures referenced here are of the circumcised variety.

Much respect to Deadspin, Randball, and Pro Football Talk for their work on the story today.

-I can believe he's a bigot. Has that Boston bad boy attitude. book it
TEXAS BATMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2007, 01:05 PM   #2
Vendetta
Banned

Vendetta has an OK reputation so far

Is this for real? Who cares? Wow...
Vendetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2007, 01:07 PM   #3
poorlilrich
woop woop

poorlilrich is popular on this boardpoorlilrich is popular on this boardpoorlilrich is popular on this boardpoorlilrich is popular on this board

Who gives a ****

Sean Salisbury is alright i guess

i wouldn't mind if he got fired though

Last edited by poorlilrich : 01-24-2007 at 01:10 PM.
poorlilrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2007, 01:08 PM   #4
JoeHova
I brick open layups

JoeHova has decent reputation

Salisbury is a douche but chew makes a lot more sense following his use of crunch than Jew does. If he said Jew, it was probably just a misspeak.
JoeHova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2007, 01:10 PM   #5
Howard5Dirk41
Banned

Howard5Dirk41 has an OK reputation so far

lol Jew
Howard5Dirk41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2007, 01:10 PM   #6
Howard5Dirk41
Banned

Howard5Dirk41 has an OK reputation so far

If you go to deadspin.com and scroll down you can listen for yourself.
Howard5Dirk41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2007, 01:11 PM   #7
Horde of Temujin
Operat.Northwoods=9/11

Horde of Temujin has decent reputation

please, people need to stop being so sensitive and that goes for all races/nationalities.
Horde of Temujin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2007, 01:15 PM   #8
TEXAS BATMAN
Retired.

TEXAS BATMAN has decent reputationTEXAS BATMAN has decent reputation

He references 'Jew', and then starts talking about nickeling and diming? Coinkidink? I think not.

Sidenote: If you don't givadam, you wouldn't have opened the thread. book it
TEXAS BATMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2007, 03:37 PM   #9
Timmeh
Yes, I am a dick.

Timmeh has a near all-star reputation hereTimmeh has a near all-star reputation hereTimmeh has a near all-star reputation hereTimmeh has a near all-star reputation hereTimmeh has a near all-star reputation hereTimmeh has a near all-star reputation here

Holy crap, society is way too sensitive these days. Someone says "Jew" and people get all offended.

There is a black kid in my school and he doesn't really care when the snobby rich-ass white kids call him "niggah" or say they're in the KKK. Maybe it's because he doesn't want to start a fight, but still. I don't support saying that to people because it is offensive, but that kid doesn't make a scene about it.

People just take crap waaaayyy out of context.

In people's defense though, Salisbury does come off as a bit ill-tempered at times. Still, "chew" makes way more sense then "Jew"
Timmeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2007, 03:42 PM   #10
Heretik32
Myrrh

Heretik32 is considered somewhat coolHeretik32 is considered somewhat coolHeretik32 is considered somewhat cool

With so many goddamn accents around, they can tell the difference between a "j" sound and a "ch" sound?

Good thing they don't have anything else to do.
Heretik32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2007, 03:49 PM   #11
SixerFan03
High School JV MVP

SixerFan03 has an OK reputation so far

Chew makes way more sense because I've actually heard it in that context before. Although the way he talked about Peyton Manning Nickle and Diming right after word...
SixerFan03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2007, 07:29 PM   #12
ALBballer
Religion? LOL? WTF?

ALBballer has an incredible reputation hereALBballer has an incredible reputation hereALBballer has an incredible reputation hereALBballer has an incredible reputation hereALBballer has an incredible reputation hereALBballer has an incredible reputation hereALBballer has an incredible reputation hereALBballer has an incredible reputation here

God damm Jewish liberal Media.......
ALBballer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2007, 09:09 PM   #13
Rameek
Krust Kingz

Rameek is a pretty well-respected posterRameek is a pretty well-respected posterRameek is a pretty well-respected posterRameek is a pretty well-respected poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmeh
Holy crap, society is way too sensitive these days. Someone says "Jew" and people get all offended.

There is a black kid in my school and he doesn't really care when the snobby rich-ass white kids call him "niggah" or say they're in the KKK. Maybe it's because he doesn't want to start a fight, but still. I don't support saying that to people because it is offensive, but that kid doesn't make a scene about it.

People just take crap waaaayyy out of context.

In people's defense though, Salisbury does come off as a bit ill-tempered at times. Still, "chew" makes way more sense then "Jew"
i feel sorry for that kid if he has to deal with that type of ignorance on a daily basis... he would have to be the jackie robinson of 2007...
its not about political correctness thats pure stupidity its about respect. I respect my mother so i dare not call her a dumb cVnt bish...
Rameek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2007, 10:04 AM   #14
Rasheed1
3-time NBA All-Star

Rasheed1 has an incredible reputation hereRasheed1 has an incredible reputation hereRasheed1 has an incredible reputation hereRasheed1 has an incredible reputation hereRasheed1 has an incredible reputation hereRasheed1 has an incredible reputation here

Quote:

yeah, all people should just shrug when people people slur them and taunt them...

the world would be much better if people just didnt 'make a scene about it'...

Rasheed1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2007, 10:40 AM   #15
statman32
NBA Legend

statman32 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterstatman32 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterstatman32 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterstatman32 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterstatman32 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterstatman32 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterstatman32 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterstatman32 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterstatman32 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterstatman32 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

this is dumb....the only sean has ever done wrong is take pics of his wanker and show it off
statman32 is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: