Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 11-25-2012, 07:21 PM   #106
The Mamba
High School Starter

The Mamba is popular on this boardThe Mamba is popular on this boardThe Mamba is popular on this boardThe Mamba is popular on this boardThe Mamba is popular on this board
Default Re: The Dark Knight Trilogy

Quote:
Originally Posted by LA Lakers
Another point we fundamentally disagree on, I much preferred Katie Holmes to Maggie Gylenhaal for dramatic impact of having the same actress play the same character and honestly, Maggie Gylenhaal did not look attactive in The Dark Knight...
I'm not claiming Maggie as eye candy. But she can act circles around Katie Holmes.

Maggie had the tenacity and intelligence to make me believe she was a DA assistant. Katie Holmes was not convincing at all. Please, dude.

I don't think the character of Rachel was meant to be eye candy. Anne Hathaway isn't eye candy either, but she can act.

Marion's character, if underused ... she clearly is a very good actress as well.
The Mamba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 07:51 PM   #107
Joshumitsu
Local High School Star

Joshumitsu has an incredible reputation hereJoshumitsu has an incredible reputation hereJoshumitsu has an incredible reputation hereJoshumitsu has an incredible reputation hereJoshumitsu has an incredible reputation hereJoshumitsu has an incredible reputation hereJoshumitsu has an incredible reputation here

Haha, Nolan was planning on casting Rachel McAdams. Should've just done that instead. Good enough acting and good looking. But true enough, Maggie would look the part of a DA's assistant moreso than the other girls.
Joshumitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 04:29 AM   #108
Toizumi
veteran savvy

Toizumi is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterToizumi is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterToizumi is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterToizumi is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterToizumi is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterToizumi is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterToizumi is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterToizumi is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterToizumi is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

I thought Rises sucked.
I like Batman and pick up a comic every now and then. I read the original story in which Bane "broke" the bat and I expected a lot out of this movie, but thought it was horrible.

This might be over the top, but below are some of the things I disliked about the movie.. If people liked it cool, this is just my (not so humble) opinion:

1.The beginning with the plane/blood transfusion thing didn't make any sense.
2. Bane had zero motive (apprentice of Rah, who wanted to destroy Gotham to "honour" his master, who disliked him. However, Gotham was all cleaned up and actually a nice city now, so why destroy it? Was it because he loved Talia, which was ridiculous?
3. Gotham was a great city now because of the "Dent" act. That's not what Gotham is supposed to be like. I know Nolan can do with the story whatever he wanted to, but that was dissapointing.
4. Batman was out for 7 years!! he turned into the anti Bruce Wayne. horrible.. what a way to reveal your identity also.
5. Robin. Who knew Batman's identity, because of the look in his eye.
6. Rahs Ghost coming to visit Bruce.
7. Bruce's recovery in "hell" with world's worst criminals, who were quite nice and helpfull and had TV in there.
8. The jump. like there was no way these people could climb out of a pit with all the tools they had. Then a little girl who's like 4 ft tall makes the damn jump. Bla bla it's not about physical strength this that. still ridiculous.
9. Talia
10. Bane living in the sewers with hoodlums who will follow him no matter what and can take over an entire city just by walking around with guns. lol.
11 The whole nuclear bomb thing.
12. the batplane way to stick with the realistic/dark/edgy vibe they had in the first two movies.
13. Catwoman, masterthief, utlimate seductress - corny as hell. Over the top acting. stupid suit.
14. People with big guns running up to fistfight batman. Why? just shoot him already. Same with the cops/bad guys fight in the end. They all have guns but just run up to fight eachother instead of shoot.
15. batman being in gotham all of a sudden in the end.
16. Bane wearing a mask like a painkiller thingie.. He was nothing more than a big brute with a strange voice. Mastermind? When did he come across as a mastermind? What happend to the venum. Why was he as tall as Batman and how was he able to take 10 superhard punches to the face without going KO?

end rant.
Toizumi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 07:57 AM   #109
Meticode
Cavaliers Fan 1997

Meticode is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMeticode is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMeticode is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMeticode is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMeticode is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMeticode is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMeticode is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMeticode is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMeticode is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMeticode is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMeticode is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toizumi
I thought Rises sucked.
I like Batman and pick up a comic every now and then. I read the original story in which Bane "broke" the bat and I expected a lot out of this movie, but thought it was horrible.

This might be over the top, but below are some of the things I disliked about the movie.. If people liked it cool, this is just my (not so humble) opinion:

1.The beginning with the plane/blood transfusion thing didn't make any sense.
2. Bane had zero motive (apprentice of Rah, who wanted to destroy Gotham to "honour" his master, who disliked him. However, Gotham was all cleaned up and actually a nice city now, so why destroy it? Was it because he loved Talia, which was ridiculous?
3. Gotham was a great city now because of the "Dent" act. That's not what Gotham is supposed to be like. I know Nolan can do with the story whatever he wanted to, but that was dissapointing.
4. Batman was out for 7 years!! he turned into the anti Bruce Wayne. horrible.. what a way to reveal your identity also.
5. Robin. Who knew Batman's identity, because of the look in his eye.
6. Rahs Ghost coming to visit Bruce.
7. Bruce's recovery in "hell" with world's worst criminals, who were quite nice and helpfull and had TV in there.
8. The jump. like there was no way these people could climb out of a pit with all the tools they had. Then a little girl who's like 4 ft tall makes the damn jump. Bla bla it's not about physical strength this that. still ridiculous.
9. Talia
10. Bane living in the sewers with hoodlums who will follow him no matter what and can take over an entire city just by walking around with guns. lol.
11 The whole nuclear bomb thing.
12. the batplane way to stick with the realistic/dark/edgy vibe they had in the first two movies.
13. Catwoman, masterthief, utlimate seductress - corny as hell. Over the top acting. stupid suit.
14. People with big guns running up to fistfight batman. Why? just shoot him already. Same with the cops/bad guys fight in the end. They all have guns but just run up to fight eachother instead of shoot.
15. batman being in gotham all of a sudden in the end.
16. Bane wearing a mask like a painkiller thingie.. He was nothing more than a big brute with a strange voice. Mastermind? When did he come across as a mastermind? What happend to the venum. Why was he as tall as Batman and how was he able to take 10 superhard punches to the face without going KO?

end rant.
Some of your rants are ridiculous, but I'm surprised out of all of them you didn't mention once Selina Kyle's girlfriend side-kick. Stupidiest f*cking character in the movie.
Meticode is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 10:09 AM   #110
D-Wade316
F***

D-Wade316 has a terrific reputationD-Wade316 has a terrific reputationD-Wade316 has a terrific reputationD-Wade316 has a terrific reputationD-Wade316 has a terrific reputationD-Wade316 has a terrific reputation

I actually like the Talia twist now. Bane is very much the mirror opposite of Batman. Imprisoned in the pit and never escaped, until Ra's came. Excommunicated by Ra's because he reminded him of the hell his wife was left to die. Bruce escaped from the pit. Ra's deemed Bruce as his successor. I think many are also under the impression Bane works for Talia when in fact he disobeyed her order to not kill Bats.
D-Wade316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 10:21 AM   #111
Rose
nanu nanu

Rose is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRose is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRose is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRose is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRose is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRose is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRose is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRose is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRose is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRose is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRose is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshumitsu
Haha, Nolan was planning on casting Rachel McAdams. Should've just done that instead. Good enough acting and good looking. But true enough, Maggie would look the part of a DA's assistant moreso than the other girls.
Totally agreed.

Although, I did prefer Katie Holmes acting over Maggie's by far, although like you said Maggie looked the part.
Rose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 12:57 PM   #112
BMOGEFan
Banned

BMOGEFan has a bad reputationBMOGEFan has a bad reputationBMOGEFan has a bad reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toizumi
I thought Rises sucked.

1.The beginning with the plane/blood transfusion thing didn't make any sense. - What is there that doesn't make sense? They wanted to fake the doctor's death.
2. Bane had zero motive (apprentice of Rah, who wanted to destroy Gotham to "honour" his master, who disliked him. However, Gotham was all cleaned up and actually a nice city now, so why destroy it? Was it because he loved Talia, which was ridiculous? - not sure if you watched the movie. The whole part was summed up in the pit.
4. Batman was out for 7 years!! he turned into the anti Bruce Wayne. horrible.. what a way to reveal your identity also. - who did he reveal his identity to?
5. Robin. Who knew Batman's identity, because of the look in his eye. - agreed...stupid.
6. Rahs Ghost coming to visit Bruce. - so?
7. Bruce's recovery in "hell" with world's worst criminals, who were quite nice and helpfull and had TV in there. - TV was there for bruce to watch gotham burn. Couldn't u figure that one out. Those criminals are criminals judged by LOS, so there might actually be some decent people.
8. The jump. like there was no way these people could climb out of a pit with all the tools they had. Then a little girl who's like 4 ft tall makes the damn jump. Bla bla it's not about physical strength this that. still ridiculous. - symbolism...learn it.
9. Talia - her death sucked...her being the boss sucked.
10. Bane living in the sewers with hoodlums who will follow him no matter what and can take over an entire city just by walking around with guns. lol. - LOS
11 The whole nuclear bomb thing. - eh.
12. the batplane way to stick with the realistic/dark/edgy vibe they had in the first two movies. - eh.
13. Catwoman, masterthief, utlimate seductress - corny as hell. Over the top acting. stupid suit. - i thought michelle pfiefer was better as well.
15. batman being in gotham all of a sudden in the end. - who did you want there? superman?
16. Bane wearing a mask like a painkiller thingie.. He was nothing more than a big brute with a strange voice. Mastermind? When did he come across as a mastermind? What happend to the venum. Why was he as tall as Batman and how was he able to take 10 superhard punches to the face without going KO? - this movie never really followed the comics to a dime.

end rant.

you have some really ridiculous rants. some are valid. Its almost the same as saying how did tom hagan become the consigliere...MAJOR PLOT HOLE

Last edited by BMOGEFan : 11-26-2012 at 01:01 PM.
BMOGEFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 03:38 PM   #113
The Mamba
High School Starter

The Mamba is popular on this boardThe Mamba is popular on this boardThe Mamba is popular on this boardThe Mamba is popular on this boardThe Mamba is popular on this board

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Wade316
I think many are also under the impression Bane works for Talia when in fact he disobeyed her order to not kill Bats.
Exactly. His motivations are out of love / redemption but I'd say they are more co-leaders.
Old 11-26-2012, 05:00 PM   #114
Toizumi
veteran savvy

Toizumi is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterToizumi is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterToizumi is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterToizumi is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterToizumi is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterToizumi is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterToizumi is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterToizumi is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterToizumi is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMOGEFan
you have some really ridiculous rants. some are valid. Its almost the same as saying how did tom hagan become the consigliere...MAJOR PLOT HOLE

Yeah like I mention in the beginning of my post, this is my not so humble opinion and part of my comments are probably misplaced. I know the movie is more complex than I make it sound and it deserves more credit than I'm giving it.
I thought begins was great.. and TDK was based on "the killing joke" and "the long halloween", which in my opinion are two of the best comics out there. Rises, to me, felt like just another action movie. Mission Impossible 3/Avengers or whatever. The movie had the seductive but deadly female ally, the big brute bad guy, who's working for a surprise villian, the hero who sacrifices himself but turns out to be fine in the end, even the young cop who helps out is in there.
Imo pretty cliche. Thing is, a lot of people loved the movie, so I guess that opinions differ, which is fine.. Maybe I need to give the movie a second try. I just know that I left the theatre very dissapointed and a lot of people felt the same. Ohters loved it though and it had great reviews.
Toizumi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 10:41 PM   #115
MeLO MvP 15
Knicks 2015 Champs

MeLO MvP 15 has an incredible reputation hereMeLO MvP 15 has an incredible reputation hereMeLO MvP 15 has an incredible reputation hereMeLO MvP 15 has an incredible reputation hereMeLO MvP 15 has an incredible reputation hereMeLO MvP 15 has an incredible reputation hereMeLO MvP 15 has an incredible reputation here

I'd just like to let you guys know, I thorougly enjoyed reading through this thread. I was in TDKR thread a lot before and I can't wait to watch this movie again now.
MeLO MvP 15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 11:57 PM   #116
unbreakable
National High School Star

unbreakable posts stuff that is definitely making some people angryunbreakable posts stuff that is definitely making some people angry

i thought the Bane and Robin characters were fantastic.. Bane was defintely scary and his voice and vocabulary were EXCELLENT

but what fukked it up is the story line.. him being talia's bltchboy was wrong..

nolan shoulda made bane epic like he did joker
unbreakable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 02:10 AM   #117
D-Wade316
F***

D-Wade316 has a terrific reputationD-Wade316 has a terrific reputationD-Wade316 has a terrific reputationD-Wade316 has a terrific reputationD-Wade316 has a terrific reputationD-Wade316 has a terrific reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Mamba
Exactly. His motivations are out of love / redemption but I'd say they are more co-leaders.
Not just that though. He wanted to prove he was more worthy of a successor to Ra's than Bruce. It's a brotherly competition between the two. The other was preferred, the other was snubbed.
D-Wade316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 02:58 PM   #118
The Mamba
High School Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Wade316
Not just that though. He wanted to prove he was more worthy of a successor to Ra's than Bruce. It's a brotherly competition between the two. The other was preferred, the other was snubbed.
Interesting. Never thought of that before. It gives more valid reasons for Bane's motivations of wanting to a) blow up Gotham but b) to want to kill Bruce.

Plus, Bruce is the one who went balls deep in the one he loved.

Oh, and if you notice through out the movie Talia wants to lure Bruce away peacefully from Gotham so he can't protect it. After they bone, she talks about leaving and going away.
Old 12-05-2012, 04:22 PM   #119
MK2V1GP
Very good NBA starter

MK2V1GP is popular on this boardMK2V1GP is popular on this boardMK2V1GP is popular on this boardMK2V1GP is popular on this board

To me, the Talia/Bane thing was just a way to add a surprising twist to the end of it (even tho it wasn't all that surprising).

I, too, wish they would've focused more on Bane. In the comics, Bane is one of Batman's most compelling enemies (probably 2nd behind Joker). And I was pumped that Nolan would do this Bane right after he was Poison Ivy's dumb henchman in the 90's movies. But, basically, this Bane was a hired henchman, too. Dumb.

Other than that, I liked it.
MK2V1GP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 06:37 PM   #120
Money 23
Samurai Swoosh

Money 23 is popular on this boardMoney 23 is popular on this boardMoney 23 is popular on this boardMoney 23 is popular on this board

Quote:
Originally Posted by MK2V1GP
To me, the Talia/Bane thing was just a way to add a surprising twist to the end of it (even tho it wasn't all that surprising).

I, too, wish they would've focused more on Bane. In the comics, Bane is one of Batman's most compelling enemies (probably 2nd behind Joker). And I was pumped that Nolan would do this Bane right after he was Poison Ivy's dumb henchman in the 90's movies. But, basically, this Bane was a hired henchman, too. Dumb.

Other than that, I liked it.
You don't consider Bane from TDK Rises to be a compelling enemy of Batman? He's the only one to physically break him, and then make him watch his city get destroyed from a tv monitor in a prison underground while he uses the weapon tech that was built by his company, and saved for his vigilante alter ego.

That is incredibly cold, and totally bad ass.

It is over simplification to call Bane a dumb henchman in TDK Rises. Bane and Talia were basically working hand in hand. Do you consider Darth Vader to be a dumb henchman? I don't either. Bane essentially planned the entire attack on Gotham and how to physically trap Bruce in order to break him.

Bane had to run mercenary missions for Dagget for years before he brought him to Gotham, unknowingly being a pawn in Bane's grand scheme to take control of the city. I think you're selling him really sort. Bane was easily the most compelling villain outside of the Joker in this series. He's dimensional too. He's brawn, with brains. Cold and calculating, with a soul and heart underneath, even if it is misguided. He's intelligent and articulate, while still maintaining the ability to brutally tear you apart. He has presence.

Bane in Batman and Robin walks around like a monkey, bidding orders and saying things like "money work"

It's not even fair to insinuate that of the character in comparison to the one in TDK Rises. Bane was boss, and a total bad ass. Necessary evil. Great lines and delivery of dialogue, too. How does the twist that he's working with Talia as the inherited leaders of the League of Shadows make him any less cool?

He still was the one in the film doing all these crazy things to break the Batman and to destroy Gotham. Was Batman not a bad ass in the trilogy because he worked in conjunction with Gordon, Dent, Blake, Fox, Alfred and Selina Kyle?

Bane and Talia had relations in the comics. They both were in charge of the League of Assassins as well. Bane in the comics, while being a total bad ass, also has a soft side to him that few get to see. He's essentially a dark reflection of Bruce Wayne. They wrote Bane and Talia as a grittier version of Darth Vader and the Emperor.

Plus, I mean in order to complete the story from Batman Begins, it makes sense that the ancient old secret society terrorist organization that was stopped in Batman Begins would have a cyclical idea to get revenge and go back to destroy the Batman and Gotham once and for all, right?

Money 23 is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: