Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 08-27-2012, 10:43 PM   #226
AK47DR91

Default Re: 2012 OTC WWWF/WWF/WWE Match Thread

Are we still doing it as 4 singles + tag team match ups or full roster match up?
Old 08-27-2012, 10:44 PM   #227
blacknapalm
spider 2 y banana

nash isn't even one of the best big man wrestlers. i'd rank taker, vader, bam bam bigelow, umaga and mike awesome well ahead of him. nash got by on 'look' and mic skills more than anything else...and it's not like he had incredible mic skills.

as far as sting, i'm not sure which one you're remembering. he was in a lot of fast paced, great matches with his surfer gimmick. once he got to the crow gimmick, he was past his prime. his peak years between '90-'93 are where the classics lie. his feuds with vader, the four horsemen and particularly flair are all good stuff.

'boring' dean malenko was a part of one of the biggest pops in wcw when he returned in '98 at slamboree. jericho even said he'd never heard a wcw crowd that loud before.

the place was going apeshit: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ENT6asElNiM

prop up nash while putting down sting and malenko? pretty laughable. i've long considered malenko one of the most underrated wrestlers, up there with arn anderson.

anyway, that's not the point. you can feel free to strongly disagree and have whatever opinion you want. your problem is your approach...your blanket statements and your overall closed mindedness is off putting.

i never told a fellow wrestling fan what to like or that his favorite wrestlers suck. some guys like japanese death matches. some guys like lucha. some guys like tag team wrestling. some guys like technical matches. some guys like indie matches and so on and so forth. to each their own. closed minded, condescending wrestling fans are the worst.
blacknapalm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 10:54 PM   #228
Jackass18
The Iron Price

Quote:
Originally Posted by NugzHeat3
Second, drawing power is the biggest factor since it's the most objective one in pro wrestling.

For you. But for me, I just don't care what sheep flock to. Why would I rate quality based mainly on popularity? When you do that, you're not really going by your opinion, but by the opinion of little kids, sheep, idiot teenagers, etc... Some guys get the big marketing machine behind them and have much more of a chance of getting over than others. Some of it is out of their hands.

Quote:
but when you start talking about mic work, promos, ring work and even some of the more obvious attributes such as charisma where there isn't as much room for debate, people can greatly differ and let bias cloud their judgment. I do it too, nothing new really.

That's fine if people are biased. It's their opinion and as long as they can do a good job defending it, then there's no problem. I have no problem if someone takes Savage or Hart. Both were legends.

Quote:
For example, I know several people who say Rock was terrible (not an exaggeration) on the mic because his promos were redundant, very catchphrase heavy, material was childish and he often worked from a script unlike some of the other greats such as Piper, Flair, Austin, Roberts ect. He was also mediocre in the ring outside of selling and this is pretty much a consensus opinion so basically Rock only had 1/3 categories down for a lot of people. But are you really going to tell me he doesn't belong in the upper echelon of the GOAT list despite all the criticisms people have of him?

Well, I wasn't really a fan of the Rock, so I can't give him too much support him. Still though, I wouldn't say he was terrible on the mic, and his charisma was glaringly obvious to everyone. He was a big, big star that got the crowd to react (even to a simple raise of an eyebrow). It's awfully hard to make a case against him in the 'Superstar Skills' category. I would probably level the same criticisms about his mic work, but it's up to the judges whether they agree or not. There are some counterpoints to that (not that I'd bring them up).
Jackass18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 10:55 AM   #229
BoogieWoogieMan
Redemption

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK47DR91
Are we still doing it as 4 singles + tag team match ups or full roster match up?

I say stick with the 4 singles + tag team match up. It will take too long to make a case for the entire roster.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackass18
Well, I wasn't really a fan of the Rock, so I can't give him too much support him. Still though, I wouldn't say he was terrible on the mic, and his charisma was glaringly obvious to everyone. He was a big, big star that got the crowd to react (even to a simple raise of an eyebrow). It's awfully hard to make a case against him in the 'Superstar Skills' category. I would probably level the same criticisms about his mic work, but it's up to the judges whether they agree or not. There are some counterpoints to that (not that I'd bring them up).

This is what I'm talking about. Just because you have an agenda against a wrestler, does not weaken their impact, fandom and accolades. If you're biased towards a wrestler, just straight up and say it. (This isn't directed to you Jackass, this is mainly to the Hart haters)

Last edited by BoogieWoogieMan : 08-28-2012 at 06:47 PM.
BoogieWoogieMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 02:31 PM   #230
AK47DR91

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoogieWoogieMan
I say stick with the 4 singles + tag team match up. It will take too long to make a case for the entire roster.
I already posted my 4 singles + tag team for my match up publicly.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AK47DR91
Hey Maniak, since we're facing each other I'll just post line-up here.

Triple H
Chris Jericho
Yokozuna
Mr. McMahon

Tag Team- Shelton & Haas

The rest of the team should just do the same. Those who don't post their line-up on time, judges will just have to do it for them.
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: