Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Streetball Forum

Streetball Forum Streetball Message Board - street basketball and streetball forum

Old 08-20-2012, 01:27 AM   #31
lilojmayo
#lovethat32

lilojmayo has an incredible reputation herelilojmayo has an incredible reputation herelilojmayo has an incredible reputation herelilojmayo has an incredible reputation herelilojmayo has an incredible reputation herelilojmayo has an incredible reputation herelilojmayo has an incredible reputation here
Default Re: Free throw routine?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SourPatchKids
Is practicing handles/shooting outside much worse than in a gym? I like your suggestion of dividing time to practice by myself but also play pickup games on the weekend. I think I can get significantly better in the two months before tryouts.

You can practice handles anywhere. But shooting, i'd recommend an indoor gym where you can make sure that the rims are straight, regulation 10 ft. Alot of park rims are double rim where you don't get soft rolls, or bent, or not regulation.

As a shooter, you want to see the ball go in the hoop

Yeah you need time to work on developing your skill, but you need to put your skill into action at pretty much any type of live contest 3 v 3, 5 v 5, 21, one-on-one. be a ball player. Your young don't be picky.

But it should be about 80% working on skill 20% live contest. To many times with ppl your age especially its 90% live contest 10% working on skill. and most ppl don't get better that way.

Last edited by lilojmayo : 08-20-2012 at 01:29 AM.
lilojmayo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 09:09 AM   #32
Rake2204
5-time NBA All-Star

Rake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilojmayo
You can practice handles anywhere. But shooting, i'd recommend an indoor gym where you can make sure that the rims are straight, regulation 10 ft. Alot of park rims are double rim where you don't get soft rolls, or bent, or not regulation.

As a shooter, you want to see the ball go in the hoop
I actually may differ from your opinion in at least one regard, but I think it's all a matter of personal preference, so it won't be a situation where I think I'm right and you're wrong.

Anyway, I happen to think working on one's jumpshot on an outdoor hoop can actually be very beneficial and my reasoning is actually quite contrary to your own. I happen to feel many indoor rims can be too soft and provide a false sense of success. At the school I coach at, their rims in particular seem to be inviting to all sorts of favorable rolls and bounces. I've watched players step in and connect on consecutive shots that hit every part of the iron before falling and they'll think, "Man, yeah, I must be feeling it tonight."

Granted, I never object to indoor shooting. The more the merrier. I just feel shooting outside, on a regulation rim, on a windless day, can work to perfect one's stroke. As you mentioned, the double rims will most often not accept shots that aren't pretty much right on the money. I think that's a good thing. As shooters, we want to perfect our shots. When practicing, I feel like our goal shouldn't be just barely making the shot, but drilling it, hitting nothing but twine. And again, I feel outdoor hoops can point us in the right direction.

Of course, if someone's struggling with severe confidence issues when it comes to shooting then yeah, perhaps I'd suggest for them to keep in mind that an outdoor hoop will not provide bounces. But in my case, shooting outside (again, on a hoop at or close to regulation, on a non-windy day) has always had a positive effect on my indoor jumper. In most cases, I'll have to fire a couple of shots just to re-adjust to being indoors but thereafter, everything's feeling smooth and particularly accurate, as I've conditioned myself to perfect my shot, not settling for hitting iron. Then, on the times I do hit rim, and it still goes in, it feels like a bonus.

Last edited by Rake2204 : 08-20-2012 at 09:14 AM.
Rake2204 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 09:24 AM   #33
SourPatchKids
Banned

SourPatchKids is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSourPatchKids is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSourPatchKids is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSourPatchKids is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSourPatchKids is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSourPatchKids is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSourPatchKids is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSourPatchKids is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSourPatchKids is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSourPatchKids is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSourPatchKids is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Thanks for tips guys. Recently I've had a couple people tell me my biggest problem if I want to play at the high school level is developing a quicker release on my shot. Does anyone a good way to practice a quicker release when your by yourself. Right now I'm just practicing catch&shoot by spinning it out to myself and shooting.
SourPatchKids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 09:51 AM   #34
Rake2204
5-time NBA All-Star

Rake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Thanks for tips guys. Recently I've had a couple people tell me my biggest problem if I want to play at the high school level is developing a quicker release on my shot. Does anyone a good way to practice a quicker release when your by yourself. Right now I'm just practicing catch&shoot by spinning it out to myself and shooting.
Ideally, I think you'd be best served if you could find at least one other person to shoot with. When I was in school, I couldn't always count on my best friends to want to shoot with me, so I usually rolled with whoever was willing to put in work.

My preferred method, when I have at least one other person available, is to partner shoot. It's really as simple as:

1) One person shoots
2) Gets their own rebound
3) Passes to teammate who's already spotting up or running as if they're coming off a screen
4) Teammate shoots, gets own rebound, repeat
5) Aim for pre-conceived goal number of makes (we'll usually do sets of 50 or 100 makes)

I much prefer the partner drill over solo shooting because it allows players to catch the ball in game-ready positions, as opposed to grabbing the ball out of the hoop, jogging to position, turning, and firing.

With all that said, I'm certainly familiar with sometimes having difficulty finding someone to shoot with. So, if you must shoot alone, I recommend having a plan (as opposed to just walking onto the court and firing away). This means, I may plan to start things off by self passing on the baseline, firing a shot, quickly grabbing it out of the net on a make (or making a putback layup if I miss) then quickly repeating the self-pass and shot on the other baseline. I may do this in sets of 10 before sliding to another position. Then perhaps I'll work on self-passing, catching, jabbing, taking one dribble, then rising up from the wing. Either way, to maximize efficiency, I'll set goals and complete them. In between drills, I'll usually aim to make five or ten free throws in a row (or whatever number may push a shooter beyond their normal standards).

Anyhow, in terms of specific tips to speed up one's shot, the first thing I always suggest is to ensure one is low to the ground prior to beginning the shooting process. When a player is standing straight up before receiving a pass, it tends to lead to an "Upright, bend knees, then explode back upward" situation. Whereas, when a player is already low upon receiving a pass, it's just a matter of "explode and shoot".

The use of one's legs will also reduce any sort of heave or catapult motion a young player may have developed. Often, middle schoolers (or younger) will attempt to extend their range before their body's ready, so they'll compensate with an elaborate "step-into" motion or by throwing the rock from over their shoulder. Both of these actions often reduce themselves with age, but sometimes stick around in some latent respect for high school. This is why, once again, it's important to establish one's legs as the primary power source for a shot, as it'll shorten shot prep and lead to quicker gathers and releases.

Last edited by Rake2204 : 08-20-2012 at 09:53 AM.
Old 08-20-2012, 07:14 PM   #35
SourPatchKids
Banned

SourPatchKids is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSourPatchKids is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSourPatchKids is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSourPatchKids is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSourPatchKids is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSourPatchKids is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSourPatchKids is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSourPatchKids is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSourPatchKids is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSourPatchKids is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSourPatchKids is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

So basically after curling off the screen/making and flexing your knees and receiving the pass, how long should it take you to release the ball out of your hands? Also if the defender closes out too hard is there any way to blow by him without making it look too obvious?
Old 08-20-2012, 09:51 PM   #36
Mr. I'm So Rad
So What If It Is

Mr. I'm So Rad is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMr. I'm So Rad is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMr. I'm So Rad is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMr. I'm So Rad is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMr. I'm So Rad is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMr. I'm So Rad is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMr. I'm So Rad is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMr. I'm So Rad is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMr. I'm So Rad is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMr. I'm So Rad is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMr. I'm So Rad is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

1. Take a deep breath.
2. Spin the ball on my right hand twice.
3. Bounce the ball twice.
4. Spin the ball on my right hand twice again.
5. Poise myself
6. Knock down the FT

This exact same routine for every FT I've ever shot in my life, even practice FTs.
Mr. I'm So Rad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 08:37 AM   #37
Rake2204
5-time NBA All-Star

Quote:
So basically after curling off the screen/making and flexing your knees and receiving the pass, how long should it take you to release the ball out of your hands?
It's going to be difficult to say how long it should take one to release the ball once curling off a screen. A fun recommendation I often make is to tape yourself shooting around. Often, how we feel like we look often varies greatly from how we really look. For instance, my younger brother (an incoming freshman) always thought he was practicing hard and really getting low and elevating on his jumpers. But once he saw video of what he really looked like, it became clear that he could and very much should speed his entire process up. He found his previous shot speed almost laughable.

If I'm stuck shooting by myself (or even with a partner) I'm a fan of using chairs. I usually place one at the elbow then use it as something to run around, similar to coming off a screen. And in truth, I'm not sure there's ever going to be a time where your release can be took fast (as long as you're not sacrificing the purity and function of your stroke). As always, when using chairs, I concentrate on jabbing, sprinting, curling hard, staying low, and producing a quick release.

I'll also say this, practice not with your classmates in mind, but with your best possible competition. Depending on your school, it may not be too entirely difficult to rise to the top of your food chain and dominate everyone in your class (then eventually your school). It's best to plan for the taller, faster, longer, more athletic competition you'll inevitably face once your season begins (or next season if you end up playing freshman ball, because the bigger and stronger tend to play up a level, so you may not see them for a year or two). This is why I always suggest chasing something faster, quicker, higher and stronger. It won't be enough to be just good enough to beat the people you play with.

Quote:
Also if the defender closes out too hard is there any way to blow by him without making it look too obvious?
This is one of my go-to moves and it's beautiful in its simplicity. The great thing is, when you cut hard, come off screens hard, and basically just play hard, it forces the defense to sharpen things up in response. Oftentimes, this makes the defense very susceptible to simple fakes and movements.

For instance, let's assume you walk yourself out to the perimeter. The defense happens to be lacking in aggression and they subsequently allow you to catch the ball on the wing. From there, you're at a standstill 20 feet away from the hoop and the defender is at a standstill in the defensive position, now ready to do their job and stop you from advancing to the hoop. Sometimes these cuts are all that are necessary, such as when initiating a play, as shown here with Tayshaun's cut: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vsDULdstJ5U#t=1m15s. Anyhow, the mere point of Tay's catch there was to then allow time for Rasheed to come from the far side and set a screen.

On the flip side, remaining constantly on the move and performing sharp, decisive cuts will force the defense to react (with speed) to everything you as an offensive player are attempting to perform. What this creates is a situation where if you sprint out to catch a pass off a cut and the defense is attempting to recover or close out right behind you, it's not going to take much more than a subtle ball fake or jab to bring about a decisive offensive advantage. With them sprinting to recover (even if they're only a half step behind), their body will want to respect any movement it appears you're about to perform. A solid example of this can be seen here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sgUHlYrqS0U#t=0m59s

Notice the difference from how Prince cut and how the defense responded versus Hamilton's cut on how Miller was forced to respond? And truth be told, the only reason's Miller closing out so hard in the first place is because he knows Hamilton's a scoring threat from mid-range. This would be why it's so terribly important to be a threat yourself from that distance. In my regard, it sometimes goes the other way around, where defenders will close out hard to begin with, I'll be fortunate enough to blow by them, then they'll begin sag off a little bit on my hard cuts, which of course then opens up mid-range jumpers.

The truth is, in many cases where the defense is caught chasing on someone who really believes in strong cuts and strong breaks off screens, it's an extreme advantage for the offense. The moves are nothing elaborate, just quick and sharp, like Hamilton's pump fake in the Pacers clip. Defenders will be susceptible to any sort of feigned direction change in this case.

Last edited by Rake2204 : 08-21-2012 at 08:44 AM.
Old 08-21-2012, 07:23 PM   #38
SourPatchKids
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rake2204
It's going to be difficult to say how long it should take one to release the ball once curling off a screen. A fun recommendation I often make is to tape yourself shooting around. Often, how we feel like we look often varies greatly from how we really look. For instance, my younger brother (an incoming freshman) always thought he was practicing hard and really getting low and elevating on his jumpers. But once he saw video of what he really looked like, it became clear that he could and very much should speed his entire process up. He found his previous shot speed almost laughable.

If I'm stuck shooting by myself (or even with a partner) I'm a fan of using chairs. I usually place one at the elbow then use it as something to run around, similar to coming off a screen. And in truth, I'm not sure there's ever going to be a time where your release can be took fast (as long as you're not sacrificing the purity and function of your stroke). As always, when using chairs, I concentrate on jabbing, sprinting, curling hard, staying low, and producing a quick release.

I'll also say this, practice not with your classmates in mind, but with your best possible competition. Depending on your school, it may not be too entirely difficult to rise to the top of your food chain and dominate everyone in your class (then eventually your school). It's best to plan for the taller, faster, longer, more athletic competition you'll inevitably face once your season begins (or next season if you end up playing freshman ball, because the bigger and stronger tend to play up a level, so you may not see them for a year or two). This is why I always suggest chasing something faster, quicker, higher and stronger. It won't be enough to be just good enough to beat the people you play with.
I don't think I'll have much trouble finding competition in my grade. Our school has one of the strongest basketball programs in California and top 25 in the nation. I see 6'5 freshman walking around and already being talked to by the jv coaches. . Earlier in the summer I attended a basketball camp where they filmed my shot and emailed to me later with tips to improve( a lot of the same points that you cover). I don't think posting that file of me shooting back in June will be much help because my shot looks quite a bit different now.
Old 08-21-2012, 10:25 PM   #39
Rake2204
5-time NBA All-Star

Quote:
I don't think I'll have much trouble finding competition in my grade. Our school has one of the strongest basketball programs in California and top 25 in the nation. I see 6'5 freshman walking around and already being talked to by the jv coaches. . Earlier in the summer I attended a basketball camp where they filmed my shot and emailed to me later with tips to improve( a lot of the same points that you cover). I don't think posting that file of me shooting back in June will be much help because my shot looks quite a bit different now.
Ha, fair enough. I usually try to play the percentages when I doll out advice and assume the person on the other end is not playing for a program that finds itself Top 25 in the nation. Good stuff.
Old 08-21-2012, 10:32 PM   #40
SourPatchKids
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rake2204
Ha, fair enough. I usually try to play the percentages when I doll out advice and assume the person on the other end is not playing for a program that finds itself Top 25 in the nation. Good stuff.
Yeah sorry about not mentioning it earlier, I think the competition is good. Now I always have this paranoid feeling when I'm not practicing that someone else is and will take my spot on the team.
Old 08-23-2012, 02:26 AM   #41
lilojmayo
#lovethat32

lilojmayo has an incredible reputation herelilojmayo has an incredible reputation herelilojmayo has an incredible reputation herelilojmayo has an incredible reputation herelilojmayo has an incredible reputation herelilojmayo has an incredible reputation herelilojmayo has an incredible reputation here

Quote:
Yeah sorry about not mentioning it earlier, I think the competition is good. Now I always have this paranoid feeling when I'm not practicing that someone else is and will take my spot on the team.

Man kid, you talk to the right talk. If you put in the work on the court the sky is the limit for you especially given your young age bro. So many years for you to develop into a player that your opponents will fear.
lilojmayo is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: