Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Old 08-11-2012, 07:10 PM   #16
Owl
Local High School Star

Owl is popular on this boardOwl is popular on this boardOwl is popular on this boardOwl is popular on this board
Default Re: All Decade Team: The 60s.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CavaliersFTW
The '00's full-decade team is just as dominant as the 60's one IMO PLUS it has double the depth (to be fair, the league is much bigger)

Nash/Iverson '00-'09
Kobe/Carter '00-'09
Pierce/Tmac '00-'09
Dirk/KG '00-'09
Shaq/Duncan '00-'09

I like the 60s team for dominance. Of course it depends whether you're talking apex guys or over the decade (I'm leaning towards an over the decade interpretation as you went with players that player the full decade and picked Pierce over T-Mac, though you also picked Carter over Ray Allen).

What I'm saying is the 60s team was awesome throughout the 60s (albeit with slight slowdown at the very end of the decade by perhaps all but West, perhaps more so in the case of Oscar and Baylor than the bigs, but both were ). Also when I think dominance I think over your peers. I think the 60s team (even if against only players who played primarily in the 60s not over the totality of the decade) the first 5 would crush the second team. Of course I've framed it differently as what I have percieved as "lesser dominance" you've framed as greater depth.

Even if you give the 60s Reed and Thurmond (and both peaked around the turn of the decade and played very well in the 70s), who else do you put in. Havlicek was more a 70s player, so who's left on the wing and at guards, do you take a 2 SG backcourt of Greer and Sam Jones. Who's the 2nd best SF who really belongs to the 60s Cliff Hagan (probably, though again his peak stradles two decades), Chet Walker (again straddles).

I guess what I'm saying is it's odd/amazing that so many consensus top 13 players all arrived at close to the same time and stayed so good, such dominant figures in the league for so long, so simultaneously (and so almost neatly filling a team, though clearly Russ was a center). From the 60-61 season to 65-66 some combination from those 5 took the top 3 MVP vote spots. They were usually most of the top 5 except West took a year to get going, Pettit usually snuck in there, and for one year Wilt inexplicably got less MVP votes than Johnny "Red" Kerr. Eventually Baylor got injured and guys like Barry, Thurmond and Reed arrived. But even to the end of the decade they were great.

Anyway of the 9 seasons taking place wholly in the 60s, with each year 5 all-nba 1st team slots available 30 of the possible 45 went to those five players.
Given that they never cheated and put in 2 centers (as we're doing for this team) and given injuries I think that's pretty remarkable.
Owl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 02:04 AM   #17
G.O.A.T
Scott Hastings Fan

G.O.A.T is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterG.O.A.T is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterG.O.A.T is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterG.O.A.T is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterG.O.A.T is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterG.O.A.T is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterG.O.A.T is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterG.O.A.T is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterG.O.A.T is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster
Default All-Decade Teams

Always a fun topic. Using the base criteria

(having played 8 of 10 seasons in the decade)

1960's
Wilt
Russell
Baylor
West
Oscar

Honors: 47 all-star selections, 43 all-nba teams (32 first), 9 mvps, 8 finals mvps (using my own decisions through '68), 5 all-star game mvps

1970's
Kareem
Hayes
Doctor J
Barry
Frazier

Honors: 45 all-star selections, 34 all-league teams (23 first), 8 mvps, 4 finals mvps (including Docs 2 ABA), 2 all-star game mvps

1980's
Kareem
Moses
Bird
Isiah
Magic

Honors: 46 all-star selections, 36 all-league teams ( 26 first), 8 mvps, 7 finals mvps, 3 all-star game mvps

1990's
Olajuwon
Malone
Barkley
Jordan
Stockton

Honors: 39 all-star selections, 41 all-nba teams (25 first), 8 mvps, 8 finals mvps, 5 all-star game mvps

2000's
Shaq
Duncan
Garnett
Kobe
Iverson

Honors: 49 all-star selections, 42 all-nba selections (28 first), 6 mvps, 6 finals mvps, 9 all-star game mvps

combined all-time rankings on my GOAT list

1980s - 42
1960s - 57
2000s - 87
1990s - 99
1970s -114

Last edited by G.O.A.T : 08-12-2012 at 02:13 AM.
G.O.A.T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 02:09 AM   #18
DatAsh
Local High School Star

DatAsh has an incredible reputation hereDatAsh has an incredible reputation hereDatAsh has an incredible reputation hereDatAsh has an incredible reputation hereDatAsh has an incredible reputation hereDatAsh has an incredible reputation hereDatAsh has an incredible reputation here
Default Re: All-Decade Teams

Quote:
Originally Posted by G.O.A.T
Always a fun topic. Using the base criteria

(having played 8 of 10 seasons in the decade)

1960's
Wilt
Russell
Baylor
West
Oscar

Honors: 47 all-star selections, 43 all-nba teams (32 first), 9 mvps, 8 finals mvps (using my own decisions through '68), 5 all-star game mvps

1970's
Kareem
Hayes
Doctor J
Barry
Frazier

Honors: 45 all-star selections, 34 all-league teams (23 first), 8 mvps, 4 finals mvps (including Docs 2 ABA), 2 all-star game mvps

1980's
Kareem
Moses
Bird
Isiah
Magic

Honors: 46 all-star selections, 36 all-league teams ( 26 first), 8 mvps, 7 finals mvps, 3 all-star game mvps

1990's
Olajuwon
Malone
Barkley
Jordan
Stockton

Honors: 39 all-star selections, 41 all-nba teams (25 first), 8 mvps, 8 finals mvps, 5 all-star game mvps

2000's
Shaq
Duncan
Garnett
Kobe
Iverson

Honors: 49 all-star selections, 42 all-nba selections (28 first), 6 mvps, 6 finals mvps, 9 all-star game mvps

If we're using a 67 Wilt, that 60s team's interior defense would be incredible. Good luck scoring in the paint against those guys. Russell was also more than capable of branching out to defend outside the paint, and West was no slouch on defense either.
DatAsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 02:18 AM   #19
G.O.A.T
Scott Hastings Fan

G.O.A.T is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterG.O.A.T is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterG.O.A.T is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterG.O.A.T is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterG.O.A.T is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterG.O.A.T is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterG.O.A.T is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterG.O.A.T is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterG.O.A.T is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster
Default Re: All-Decade Teams

Quote:
Originally Posted by DatAsh
If we're using a 67 Wilt, that 60s team's interior defense would be incredible. Good luck scoring in the paint against those guys. Russell was also more than capable of branching out to defend outside the paint, and West was no slouch on defense either.

Imagine the 2000's front line of Shaq/Duncan/Garnett...I could see a team getting zero points in the paint against that squad.

1980's has the best offense, but the worst defense.
G.O.A.T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 04:49 AM   #20
bizil
National High School Star

bizil has a near all-star reputation herebizil has a near all-star reputation herebizil has a near all-star reputation herebizil has a near all-star reputation herebizil has a near all-star reputation herebizil has a near all-star reputation here

If we are talking 2000s, u gotta have this squad looking back at that decade:

PG: Nash, Kidd
SG: Kobe, Wade, AI
SF: Bron, T-Mac, Pierce
PF: Duncan, KG, Dirk
C: Shaq

I sincerely hope that Kidd isn't becoming underrated at this point! U gotta have J Kidd on the 2000s list. What he was doing with those Nets teams was epic shit getting them that far!

Last edited by bizil : 08-12-2012 at 04:54 AM.
bizil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 06:00 AM   #21
BoutPractice
I'll pass

BoutPractice is popular on this boardBoutPractice is popular on this boardBoutPractice is popular on this boardBoutPractice is popular on this boardBoutPractice is popular on this board

If LeBron was allowed in the 00s lineup (he's just 1 season short of 8, it's a bit unfair to leave out one of the greatest players of the decade because of that), it would be the best of the lot imo.

Kidd/Nash
Kobe/Wade
LeBron/Pierce
Dirk/KG
Duncan/Shaq

3 (possibly 4 when it's all said and done) players in the all time top 10, 7 different MVPs and Finals MVPS... that's an unstoppable lineup.
The only "weak link" battling against all those all-time greats would be Pierce (some would argue McGrady, Carter or Melo in the first place), but you could always slide KG to the SF position, which would create an interesting mismatch, and replace him with one of the numerous great PFs of the decade like Gasol/Webber/Bosh, or cheat and use Dwight. With such a deep front court, even Russell and Chamberlain would have some trouble.

The 80s lineup is incredible too.
Isiah, Magic, Bird, Moses and Kareem on the court at the same time? In terms of pure skill, it's pretty hard to beat.
BoutPractice is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: