Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Streetball Forum

Streetball Forum Streetball Message Board - street basketball and streetball forum

Old 08-12-2012, 05:18 AM   #1
SourPatchKids
Banned

Default Basketball player diets?

Can any poster here with knowledge on nutrition post an ideal diet for a basketball player? Particularly for gaining muscle mass.

Last edited by SourPatchKids : 08-12-2012 at 05:21 AM.
SourPatchKids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 06:41 AM   #2
Go Getter
Wild 100's

Default Re: Basketball player diets?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SourPatchKids
Can any poster here with knowledge on nutrition post an ideal diet for a basketball player? Particularly for gaining muscle mass.

1. Drink lots of water
2. Take a multi-vitamin daily
3. Invest in a fiber pill/colon cleanser (keep you light on your feet, haha)
4. As far as diet eat lots of tuna (with/ light mayo, mustard, celery, egg whites)

Eat lots of boneless skinless chicken breast
Lots of spinach and green leafy veggies
raw foods (carrots, celery, apples)
NO FRIED FOODS, SUGAR, CARBS (minimal)

I think bulking up is a bad idea, try to stay lean and add minimal muscle....you'll get built over time, just focus on being healthy and maintaining/building your cardio.
Go Getter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 03:15 AM   #3
SourPatchKids
Banned

Cereal has been my best friend the last few months.
Old 09-09-2012, 04:37 AM   #4
Jyap9675
True Point Guard

Basketball makes a person really lean especially if you play regularly with a good diet. Just try to have protein on every meal with your carbs - eggs, chicken, steak, nuts (could get expensive tho). I would even invest in protein shake on times where its hard to prepare food.

If trying to bulk up, just replenish calories you lost from playing ball. I drink choc milk but that's just me.
Jyap9675 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 04:41 AM   #5
NotYetGreat
Great college starter

Quote:

It's also gonna be your worst enemy if you really want to feel and perform your best, li'l man.
NotYetGreat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 04:46 AM   #6
SourPatchKids
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotYetGreat
It's also gonna be your worst enemy if you really want to feel and perform your best, li'l man.
I don't eat dairy products on gamedays.
Old 09-09-2012, 05:16 AM   #7
NotYetGreat
Great college starter

Quote:
I don't eat dairy products on gamedays.

It's not just that. Sorry to ruin your childhood (was past mine when I found out, so it didn't hurt that much ) but all that high-fiber, wheat-based, sugary crap isn't going to turn you into the beast kid they tell you you're gonna be. You're actually better off not eating breakfast (which I actually do) than eating bowls of that to start your day. Well, you're a good kid, so I'm gonna take some time out of my Sunday to actually lay some stuff down.

DISCLAIMER: Like with everything anyone says, take it with a grain of salt. This is just off reading a whole bunch of stuff over the years and experiential shizznit which is oriented to my goal - gaining lean muscle mass while staying lean. I like gaining muscle. Who doesn't? However, I don't like turning into a fatass then having to "diet down" in order to regain my leaness. There are definitely other methods out there, but this is what has worked for me so far.

TIP #1: Breakfast isn't the most important meal of the day. Just this year, I've experimented with Intermittent Fasting, where you alternate periods of eating with fasting. I fast everyday from 9 until 12 the next day, just in time for lunch. What this does is help detoxify your body, reset your hormones, and set you up to be in the perfect position for becoming anabolic later on in the day. Then again, if you must have something after you wake up, make sure it is light and made up of proteins and fats.

IRL: I started last March after I weighed myself and found out I was down to 158 lbs at 9.1% BF. I was happy with lean I was, but I wasn't with how unconsciously scrawny I'd become. The last time I measured myself before that, I was 170 but pretty chubby. After 6 months of IF, I'm up to 168 and just as lean if not leaner. 10 lbs without eating breakfast. Not bad eh?

TIP #2: Eat REAL foods. Period. Your body just does NOT want all that other stuff for good performance.

IRL: What helped me get leaner, stronger, and overall more athletic was really cutting out all that processed and sugary stuff. I remember when I still used to take cereal in the morning and religiously down my family's whole wheat products, I was having numerous crashes throughout the day and playing like crap. Don't take the grains. Don't be fooled by the whole wheat whackness. I'm not telling you to go full-on Paleo (we're Asian, so we can't live without rice. Plus it's one of the safest grains, so we're good). Sticking to meats, eggs, fish, vegetables, fruits, rice, and water, is what a big chunk of what got me here.

TIP #3: Eat as if it were your last meal during dinner time. According to conventional wisdom, I'm thinking in reverse, eh?

IRL: I think everyone will more likely stick to a "diet" (gawrsh, I hate that word haha) if they knew they were gonna get rewarded at the end of the day as opposed to going to bed with your tummy grumbling the whole day, leaving you restless. I noticed that ever since I started eating like a king at night (my meals usually take me 30-45 mins to finish, and I'm a pretty fast eater, mind you), I got even leaner and more built.

If you want some evidence, check the first post here:

http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/sho...265014&page=12

Those were taken in June if I remember right and I was like 164 that time. I'm 168 right now and most of the weight seems to have gone to my arms, back, and legs. That's one thing too. Training, whatever you do, be it weights, bodyweight, sports, will trigger the command for muscles to get bigger and stronger (and sometimes even smaller and weaker), but eating is the validation booth at the end of your long-ass flight to your destination. Without it, you ain't getting there. Cheers, SPK.
Old 09-09-2012, 10:49 AM   #8
Dictator
Insidehoops Mafia

I gained 20 pounds over the summer.

Eat a lot of seafood, bread, protein bars, milk, and fruit

Do not drink a lot of water, no candy,

Do not workout anything except your legs because once you put on that weight you want to keep your athleticism.

Then after you gain the weight you workout your upperbody. Since it's harder to lose weight than put it on, you'll increase your body mass a lot after gaining the weight, and your legs will feel way stronger than before because your legs now have less pressure on them.
Dictator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 02:41 PM   #9
SourPatchKids
Banned

Okie dokey, normally my breakfast ls like a glass of Milo and some fruit, usually peaches. If I tried eating cereal I would throw up. Usually I eat it in the afternoon or an evening snack but I guess you've convinced me enough about processed food. And my coaches told me that the only meat I should be eating is lean chicken and fish, so I alternate between those dinners and pasta dinners. My grandma is having a hard time adjusting as she's used to cooking spicy meats of all different kinds. Also I'm trying to get bigger but eating a lot and doing pushups don't seem to help much. My coaches said to stay off weights cause my body is still growing, and my older friend told me to gain some more meat before trying to turn it into muscle. Besides protein and carbs what else so I need to get bigger? P.S. NotYetGreat, what kind of rice do you like? My family's favorite is this fragrant strain of Thai jasmine rice called Golden Phoenix.
Old 09-09-2012, 02:43 PM   #10
SourPatchKids
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dictator
I gained 20 pounds over the summer.

Eat a lot of seafood, bread, protein bars, milk, and fruit

Do not drink a lot of water, no candy,

Do not workout anything except your legs because once you put on that weight you want to keep your athleticism.

Then after you gain the weight you workout your upperbody. Since it's harder to lose weight than put it on, you'll increase your body mass a lot after gaining the weight, and your legs will feel way stronger than before because your legs now have less pressure on them.
Ooooh thanks my friend I've always been concerned about losing my quickness and jumping ability after putting on weight. Do you have any good specific leg exercises?
Old 09-09-2012, 04:50 PM   #11
Burgz V2
Good college starter

Quote:

you'll regret it one day lol
Burgz V2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 07:53 PM   #12
NotYetGreat
Great college starter

Quote:
Okie dokey, normally my breakfast ls like a glass of Milo and some fruit, usually peaches. If I tried eating cereal I would throw up. Usually I eat it in the afternoon or an evening snack but I guess you've convinced me enough about processed food. And my coaches told me that the only meat I should be eating is lean chicken and fish, so I alternate between those dinners and pasta dinners. My grandma is having a hard time adjusting as she's used to cooking spicy meats of all different kinds. Also I'm trying to get bigger but eating a lot and doing pushups don't seem to help much. My coaches said to stay off weights cause my body is still growing, and my older friend told me to gain some more meat before trying to turn it into muscle. Besides protein and carbs what else so I need to get bigger? P.S. NotYetGreat, what kind of rice do you like? My family's favorite is this fragrant strain of Thai jasmine rice called Golden Phoenix.

I honestly think the whole weights will stun your growth is blown way out of proportion and propagated out of elders' fear that their kids, since young and not fully coordinated yet, will just crumble under the bar and get hurt. However, what hey say could be true, IF you don't lift properly. If you get a GOOD trainer, you'll be good. But anyway, I won't fight your coach's decision. How many times a week do you practice and when though? The best thing for you to do now is to get mobile (flexible muscles, smooth joints) and work on calisthenics, and by calisthenics, I don't mean your normal old' jumping jacks. Push-Ups (which you've gotten a head start on. good! ), chin-ups, bodyweight squats, etc. If you wanna get jacked without weights, those are good starting points. As for the chicken and fish, animal protein is animal protein. I would let gran'mama keep cooking the beef and pork. You need your fats too. If you can, the best oil to cook with is coconut oil. The regular cheap grocery stuff will do. I grew up on that stuff because my grandpa was the head honcho of some coconut oil company before and I always thought of myself as healthier than my friends. So yeah, if possible, cook with coconut oil (say no to Canola) and if you guys have it, drizzle olive oil on your meals.

P.S. - Once again, I'm Filipino. Rice is rice. But that's true, a good meal starts with good rice, and your jasmine shizz sounds pretty good. Pound on that white stuff, brother (save the ass for later).

P.P.S. - Sorry if I'm making these posts too lengthy for ya. Just hit this thread up if you want and I'll try to SparkNotes it.
Old 09-09-2012, 08:03 PM   #13
SourPatchKids
Banned

I think we only eat with olive oil, will tell my mom to buy some coconut oil on her next trip to the market. I have 1 hour(hardest 1 hour ever, conditioning is. a bitch) of conditioning every monday wednesdays and friday. There's open gyms on tuesdays and fridays vut i only go on tuesdays cause it's the same time as my club teams practice which is wednesdays and fridays. I usually play pickup ball with my friends on the weekends which can be anywhere from screwing around to serious ball if good players show up. i try to do 4 sets of 25 pushups and crunches scattered throughout my day whenever i have time. If I didn't do enough that day I'll do extra after brushing my teeth and getting ready for bed.
Old 09-09-2012, 08:31 PM   #14
NotYetGreat
Great college starter

I'll be honest, the one thing that makes gaining muscle hard is practicing your sport. Of course, being a basketball athlete, your priority should definitely be your skills and traits needed in your sport (shooting, dribbling, defense, conditioning, etc). Having a good amount of time focused there will take away time AND energy (energy being incredibly important here because you don't grow while you lift. You grow while you RECOVER - food, sleep, & stress management) in order for you to pursue other physical shizznits.

One thing you could do though if you're a bit short on time is do ladders. Since your legs get pretty worked during practice, I guess you could give them some rest and work your upper instead. Now, back to ladders, basically it's starting from 1 rep, resting a bit, then continually adding reps until you reach a point just BEFORE failure. If you had to grind out the last rep, stop.

Rest
Rest
Rest

What's nice about this is it lets you add volume without overly stressing or fatiguing you, and from the sound of your sched you need to be fresh A LOT (and you also got to keep them grades in check, li'l man. Moral obligation since I'm a future teacher haha). If I were you I'd alternate between the push-ups and chin-ups. I assume you find push-ups much easier, so what you could do is do a couple reps, say 2, then 1 rep for chin-ups. The next "step" on the ladder will be 4 push-ups and 2 chin-ups, then so on and so forth. Regardless of when you do this, the important thing to remember is to EAT LIKE A FRICKING HORSE AFTER. Like I said earlier (opinion-based though so you don't necessarily have to do what I do), breakfast is not the most important meal of the day. It's whatever meal you have after some intense physical activity.
Old 09-09-2012, 08:46 PM   #15
SourPatchKids
Banned

Teacher Class Name Grade Score Last Update

Bret Almazan-Cezar 7B Geometry Honors A 96 9/4/12
Kevin Brazelton 5 English 1 Accelerated A- 90 9/5/12
Kristy Calaway 6 Intro to Catholic Christianity A- 92 9/6/12
ROSE LOPEZ 1 French 1 A 94 9/9/12
Dina Oakland 3rd.PE1.F12 A 100 8/28/12