Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Old 08-12-2012, 05:16 AM   #16
plowking
lifelong rockets fan

plowking is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterplowking is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterplowking is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterplowking is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterplowking is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterplowking is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterplowking is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterplowking is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterplowking is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterplowking is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster
Default Re: Is Shawn Marion the most underappreciated/underlooked player of this generation?

Quote:
Originally Posted by noosaman
hahaha where are you from? I am originally from So Cal

Croatia originally. Been here the majority of my life though.

The only reason I play basketball is probably due to that influence. Love soccer as well. Though since growing up in Australia I've played a whole bunch of rugby and AFL. Should give them a go if you like American football. Same thing really, just no pads. Makes it fun when you crunch someone in a tackle, particularly if you're a big guy to begin with.
plowking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 05:19 AM   #17
noosaman
Banned

noosaman is starting to rub some people the wrong waynoosaman is starting to rub some people the wrong way
Default Re: Is Shawn Marion the most underappreciated/underlooked player of this generation?

Quote:
Originally Posted by plowking
Croatia originally. Been here the majority of my life though.

The only reason I play basketball is probably due to that influence. Love soccer as well. Though since growing up in Australia I've played a whole bunch of rugby and AFL. Should give them a go if you like American football. Same thing really, just no pads. Makes it fun when you crunch someone in a tackle, particularly if you're a big guy to begin with.

I have never got into rugby, etc since moving here. I am tall and long but don't have a short neck and stubby limbs like most footballers. Plus I fractured my scaphoid this year so I am taking it easy for the most part.

I have to say I thoroughly hate the uq st lucia campus.
noosaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 05:23 AM   #18
BoutPractice
I'll pass

BoutPractice is popular on this boardBoutPractice is popular on this boardBoutPractice is popular on this boardBoutPractice is popular on this board

Tim Duncan.

But Marion is definitely one of the greatest complementary players in this era.
BoutPractice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 05:24 AM   #19
noosaman
Banned

noosaman is starting to rub some people the wrong waynoosaman is starting to rub some people the wrong way

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoutPractice
Tim Duncan.

But Marion is definitely one of the greatest complementary players in this era.

Doesn't pretty much acknowledge Duncan as a top 3 player of his era?
Old 08-12-2012, 05:38 AM   #20
plowking
lifelong rockets fan

plowking is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterplowking is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterplowking is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterplowking is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterplowking is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterplowking is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterplowking is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterplowking is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterplowking is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterplowking is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
I have never got into rugby, etc since moving here. I am tall and long but don't have a short neck and stubby limbs like most footballers. Plus I fractured my scaphoid this year so I am taking it easy for the most part.

I have to say I thoroughly hate the uq st lucia campus.

I love the campus. Its huge, very nice looking, and loads of good looking girls walking around, or just tanning in bikinis on the great court. No complaining from me.
Old 08-12-2012, 05:41 AM   #21
noosaman
Banned

Quote:
I love the campus. Its huge, very nice looking, and loads of good looking girls walking around, or just tanning in bikinis on the great court. No complaining from me.

Just always construction going on. I had to give a quick lecture once and there were 400 kids all on their facebook the entire time. Impossible to get around and impossible to get any peace and quiet. I much prefer the gatton and ipswich campuses.
Old 08-12-2012, 05:56 AM   #22
plowking
lifelong rockets fan

Quote:
Just always construction going on. I had to give a quick lecture once and there were 400 kids all on their facebook the entire time. Impossible to get around and impossible to get any peace and quiet. I much prefer the gatton and ipswich campuses.

Go sit by the lake.
Its always decent there. Was it a first year class? I'm taking one this semester as an elective, and man... I won't be doing that again with my last one. Full of 17 and 18 year olds who are constantly on their computers, facebook and talking to each other. Can't get any quiet in a lecture.

Ugh, Ipswich and Gatton... No thanks. lol...
Old 08-12-2012, 06:06 AM   #23
noosaman
Banned

Quote:
Go sit by the lake.
Its always decent there. Was it a first year class? I'm taking one this semester as an elective, and man... I won't be doing that again with my last one. Full of 17 and 18 year olds who are constantly on their computers, facebook and talking to each other. Can't get any quiet in a lecture.

Ugh, Ipswich and Gatton... No thanks. lol...

lol everyone hates on them but those areas are perfectly fine. real estate is expensive in brisbane but outside of south bank theres only a couple of places in the city worth living in my view. I'd rather be just about anywhere on the sunshine or gold coast for my money.

It was a neuro lecture for 1st years in the mbbs-only 10 minutes but still. amazing how large the class is.
Old 08-12-2012, 06:07 AM   #24
BoutPractice
I'll pass

BoutPractice is popular on this boardBoutPractice is popular on this boardBoutPractice is popular on this boardBoutPractice is popular on this board

Quote:
Doesn't pretty much acknowledge Duncan as a top 3 player of his era?
> But only reluctantly. People seem eager to forget about Duncan's achievements because he's not "cool".
Wait a few years until the next high flying crowd pleaser has himself an extraordinary career and Duncan will become just another "all-time great" instead of the surefire top 10 player with a case for top 6 he should be.
In fact, you don't have to wait as long, you only have to see how some people are suddenly arguing the 00s were Kobe's decade.
Old 08-12-2012, 06:11 AM   #25
noosaman
Banned

Quote:
> But only reluctantly. People seem eager to forget about Duncan's achievements because he's not "cool".
Wait a few years until the next high flying crowd pleaser has himself an extraordinary career and Duncan will become just another "all-time great" instead of the surefire top 10 player with a case for top 6 he should be.
In fact, you don't have to wait as long, you only have to see how some people are suddenly arguing the 00s were Kobe's decade.

Well he has a legitimate argument because he has the most rings of anyone in the era. And Duncan had excellent supporting casts as well so it's not like he did anything Kobe didn't. That said I think most NBA aficionados acknowledge Duncan as top 3.
Old 08-12-2012, 06:42 AM   #26
BoutPractice
I'll pass

Duncan has, I believe, one of the greatest win percentages in collective sports history over a 15 year period. Duncan and Popovich are the only common denominator of those 15 years.
Duncan played most of his time with Tony Parker, Manu Ginobili (who only became all-star caliber players in the mid 00s) and decent role players. He carried a very flawed team to the title in 2003.
He won more than say, Bird, with less, and for a longer period of time.

Kobe started his career with Shaq (at one point he had Shaq, Gary Payton and Karl Malone on his team), then his Lakers kept getting handed great interior players - Gasol, and now Gasol AND Dwight at the same time... The only time he had to work with a weak group (and don't get me wrong, they were really weak, much weaker than anything Duncan ever had, I won't argue that), he either missed the playoffs or led them to first round exits.

Kobe's great, no question, but to act like his career totally eclipses everything done by the interior beasts most objective basketball historians would agree dominated the previous decade is a bit much. (And I'm worried it'll get worse and worse, as Kobe has a legion of obsessive fans who would probably donate their vital organs to him while people tend to "appreciate" Duncan. He's basically treated like some kind of boring writer from the 18th century a teacher forced you to read because he's one of the "classics". Oh, a bank shot. Oh, yet another bank shot. Oh, a hook shot *YAWN*)

...Though I just realized this thread was originally about Shawn Marion.

So, Shawn Marion. Great player. Unless you have a LeBron, I tend to think Marion is exactly the kind of player you should play at SF, that's what the position is for: an dynamic, versatile, athletic player who rebounds, defends, runs in transition, and is efficient/opportunistic on offense.

He was always limited by his jumpshot, though I've always wondred how the hell he's able to make so many of those with that ugly release.

Sometimes when kidding around on the basketball court I try to emulate his shot, and it simply doesn't work, it's a scientific wonder.

I hope there are more unorthodox players like him in the future.
Old 08-12-2012, 06:47 AM   #27
noosaman
Banned

Quote:
Duncan has, I believe, one of the greatest win percentages in collective sports history over a 15 year period. Duncan and Popovich are the only common denominator of those 15 years.
Duncan played most of his time with Tony Parker, Manu Ginobili (who only became all-star caliber players in the mid 00s) and decent role players. He carried a very flawed team to the title in 2003.
He won more than say, Bird, with less, and for a longer period of time.

Kobe started his career with Shaq (at one point he had Shaq, Gary Payton and Karl Malone on his team), then his Lakers kept getting handed great interior players - Gasol, and now Gasol AND Dwight at the same time... The only time he had to work with a weak group (and don't get me wrong, they were really weak, much weaker than anything Duncan ever had, I won't argue that), he either missed the playoffs or led them to first round exits.

Kobe's great, no question, but to act like his career totally eclipses everything done by the interior beasts most objective basketball historians would agree dominated the previous decade is a bit much. (And I'm worried it'll get worse and worse, as Kobe has a legion of obsessive fans who would probably donate their vital organs to him while people tend to "appreciate" Duncan. He's basically treated like some kind of boring writer from the 18th century a teacher forced you to read because he's one of the "classics". Oh, a bank shot. Oh, yet another bank shot. Oh, a hook shot *YAWN*)

...Though I just realized this thread was originally about Shawn Marion.

So, Shawn Marion. Great player. Unless you have a LeBron, I tend to think Marion is exactly the kind of player you should play at SF, that's what the position is for: an dynamic, versatile, athletic player who rebounds, defends, runs in transition, and is efficient/opportunistic on offense.

He was always limited by his jumpshot, though I've always wondred how the hell he's able to make so many of those with that ugly release.

Sometimes when kidding around on the basketball court I try to emulate his shot, and it simply doesn't work, it's a scientific wonder.

I hope there are more unorthodox players like him in the future.

Solid post, man. Props.

I think Duncan has had pretty decent team especially defensively--you can't really say the 06-07 and 04-05 iterations of the Spurs didn't have great talent.

But yes I'd agree with regarding marketing and personality. I personally have him at #1.

Duncan is the Proust of NBaers???
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: