Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 01-26-2013, 12:42 PM   #61
Batz
Shit just got serious

Batz is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBatz is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBatz is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBatz is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBatz is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBatz is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBatz is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBatz is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBatz is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBatz is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBatz is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable
Default Re: Struggling with Depression

Quote:
Originally Posted by Budadiiii
To get responses from delusional idiots(JEFFERSON MONEY) for entertainment purposes. This forum is a joke and it's fun to see idiots take words from anonymous people on the internet serious.
Yeah all I got from that was that you're a fucking tool.
Batz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 12:43 PM   #62
OhNoTimNoSho
Your King

OhNoTimNoSho has an incredible reputation hereOhNoTimNoSho has an incredible reputation hereOhNoTimNoSho has an incredible reputation hereOhNoTimNoSho has an incredible reputation hereOhNoTimNoSho has an incredible reputation hereOhNoTimNoSho has an incredible reputation hereOhNoTimNoSho has an incredible reputation here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Budadiiii
People who contemplate suicide are genetically inferior. Plain and simple. Life isn't fair and the strongest survive. I will NEVER feel for someone going through depression. Just like I NEVER want people to feel pity for me in any situation. People like the OP(and probably yourself) are what I like to call "attention whores" putting their insignificant problems on other people for their own selfish satisfaction. **** you clown. Pauk is right. All these people complaining about their so called problems should just go ahead and kill themselves. Like I said, strongest survive, life isn't fair, can't deal with that? Out yourself. Would actually be the most logical and unselfish thing to do instead of being a burden on everyone else and dragging them down with you.
There are 2 types of people that would believe shit like this....

1. hardened military veterans and criminals who have been through a lot and have seen some f*cked up shit

2. Young adult white kids from the suburbs who live with their parents

Ill give you the benefit of the doubt when you say you're trolling.. but i think we know which category you fall under
OhNoTimNoSho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 12:48 PM   #63
mlh1981
Reds/Bengals/Cavs

mlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

My biggest problem as it pertains to this topic is that I find myself living in the past too much. That, or I'm thinking about the future. That makes me feel somewhat disastisfied of the current moment, which is what I need to be living for. These feelings make me feel depressed. It's not a constant state of mind for me, as I don't consider myself to be "depressed" but I have to somehow find some sort of peace and understanding with the current situation.

Also, I need to appreciate smaller things and nuances in life. It's not all about constant thrills and such. I live by the beach, and sometimes, I go down and just walk along the coast. No phone, and no distractions. I just sit back and think about the sounds and sights around me.
mlh1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 12:55 PM   #64
Mr. I'm So Rad
So What If It Is

Mr. I'm So Rad is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMr. I'm So Rad is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMr. I'm So Rad is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMr. I'm So Rad is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMr. I'm So Rad is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMr. I'm So Rad is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMr. I'm So Rad is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMr. I'm So Rad is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMr. I'm So Rad is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMr. I'm So Rad is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMr. I'm So Rad is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

I used to be really depressed a couple of years ago, then I just stopped giving a f*ck. I had to embrace apathy to keep my sanity. I'm mostly comfortable in life now. I wouldn't say I'm happy necessarily, but I'm not miserable like I once was.
Mr. I'm So Rad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 12:58 PM   #65
Just2McFly
By Any Means

Just2McFly is popular on this boardJust2McFly is popular on this boardJust2McFly is popular on this boardJust2McFly is popular on this boardJust2McFly is popular on this board

I'm starting to realize that I am not depressed I just hate the situation I am in.
Just2McFly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 01:09 PM   #66
DCL
NBA rookie of the year

DCL is popular on this boardDCL is popular on this boardDCL is popular on this boardDCL is popular on this board

watch some poverty videos from africa or something and all you guys might feel lucky to have your life.
DCL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 01:13 PM   #67
Mr. I'm So Rad
So What If It Is

Mr. I'm So Rad is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMr. I'm So Rad is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMr. I'm So Rad is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMr. I'm So Rad is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMr. I'm So Rad is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMr. I'm So Rad is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMr. I'm So Rad is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMr. I'm So Rad is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMr. I'm So Rad is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMr. I'm So Rad is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMr. I'm So Rad is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCL
watch some poverty videos from africa or something and all you guys might feel lucky to have your life.

Why should seeing someone else's shitty life make me more grateful to live my shitty one? Just because somebody else's life sucks more doesn't mean your life can't still suck.
Old 01-26-2013, 01:15 PM   #68
Stuckey
ifirtworld

Stuckey has a terrific reputationStuckey has a terrific reputationStuckey has a terrific reputationStuckey has a terrific reputationStuckey has a terrific reputationStuckey has a terrific reputation

think too much about the past and you live in regret and sadness

think too much about the future and you live in anxiety

it's all about living in the moment

practicing some mindfulness techniques and reading eastern philosophy really helped me through tough times of stress and depression

but yeah, if you're feeling down, make a list of things you're grateful for, that can help immensely
Stuckey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 01:23 PM   #69
DCL
NBA rookie of the year

DCL is popular on this boardDCL is popular on this boardDCL is popular on this boardDCL is popular on this board

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. I'm So Rad
Why should seeing someone else's shitty life make me more grateful to live my shitty one? Just because somebody else's life sucks more doesn't mean your life can't still suck.

because it'll help you learn to appreciate whatever you got.
DCL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 01:53 PM   #70
Mr. I'm So Rad
So What If It Is

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCL
because it'll help you learn to appreciate whatever you got.

Not everyone places the same value in certain things. Appreciation is relative outside of basic necessities. Some people don't have anything to appreciate outside of that. The "my life could be a whole lot worse" rationale doesn't really address the issues that make one depressed in the first place.
Old 01-26-2013, 02:31 PM   #71
Loneshot
(◣_◢) CoLa

Loneshot is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLoneshot is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLoneshot is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLoneshot is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLoneshot is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLoneshot is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLoneshot is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLoneshot is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLoneshot is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLoneshot is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLoneshot is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

I hope i don't wrongly influence anyone, but i think suicide can be brave depending on the circumstances. Here is this thing we call life that we all cherish; some feel they cherish it because of love, material possessions, and things of that nature. But we really cherish life because of our perception of death and not knowing what comes after this state of being (life). Some claim to know what comes next due to their belief system, but they don't.

For a person to decide to end their current state of existence with no true knowledge of what comes afterward...that's bold. You can even argue its a much more honest leap of faith than believing in a god and some heaven/hell realm of existence based on your earthly merits.
Loneshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 07:46 PM   #72
JEFFERSON MONEY
A bit crazy

JEFFERSON MONEY is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJEFFERSON MONEY is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJEFFERSON MONEY is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJEFFERSON MONEY is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJEFFERSON MONEY is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJEFFERSON MONEY is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJEFFERSON MONEY is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJEFFERSON MONEY is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJEFFERSON MONEY is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJEFFERSON MONEY is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJEFFERSON MONEY is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loneshot
I hope i don't wrongly influence anyone, but i think suicide can be brave depending on the circumstances. Here is this thing we call life that we all cherish; some feel they cherish it because of love, material possessions, and things of that nature. But we really cherish life because of our perception of death and not knowing what comes after this state of being (life). Some claim to know what comes next due to their belief system, but they don't.

For a person to decide to end their current state of existence with no true knowledge of what comes afterward...that's bold. You can even argue its a much more honest leap of faith than believing in a god and some heaven/hell realm of existence based on your earthly merits.

Yeah Agreed.

Suicide is the coward's way is very simplistic persepctive.

A samurai who embowels himself for the honor of his master/nation, or someone like Piers in Resident Evil 6 who kills himself because he knows he's infected with the C-Virus, or if Stephon Marbury taking a knife to his throat with the Knicks as a last chance to redeem himself or Vegeta from Dragon Ball Z destroying himself in front of Majin Buu indeed pretty fukking brave. Or hell even giving yourself up for scinetific experimentation.

My issue with DCL's suggestion, is that I know VERY FEW people who would look at African tragic atrocities and think "lucky that's not me" They'd much more ilkely be EVEN MORE PISSED at the injustice of the world and expend valuable energy (that could be used for scientifically proven therapeutic exercises, a fresh change of perspective, a strong cultivation of joy gratitude, meditation, supplementation, a spiritual outlook, social comfort, mediums for creativity) in concocting futile schemes to try to heal/feed the poor (serious). He's definietly right about the gratitude though.. just in a wrong way.

A thing I've read was that it's always a simple matter of perspective and the emotion linked to it. Like for example let's examine a girl who isn't a beauty queen but isn't ugly either. The most successful girl I know (when she was fat and average looking) busted her azz three times harder than her nearest competition in school, piano and gym, stayed tight to her loving fam, and literally told me that she's grateful for her ugly duckling years because it gave her the insatiable thirst to better herself in every way and now she's a very interesting person. Likewise, another girl si probably going to perceive being average looking as a perpetual curse and resent jealousy. But then again.. the latter could have had parents who were extremely unsupportive and pulled a dulling pygmalian effect by telling her she was worthless, treating her like crap, and therefore by consequence the girl would choose guys that did the same. When it rains, it f*cking pours. Influences are huge and we don't choose the kind of peopel we are surrounded with during our early years.

I don't know if there's a scientific approach for this but there should be units of depression and hapniess as well.
I'd wager a guy undergoing a MLC who works his tail off and gets divorced by a harridan of a wife, or a young teen who is in a deadly spirit-crushing feedback loop of not being accepted is HEAPS more depressed than an African person who hasn't seen a proper meal (serious). . Especially if they came from a privileged past.

Just a hypothesis though. Would like to see this tested out. I've seen way too many strong hard willed Americans who had so many things going for them that walk around with a very sad, defeated face for it too be a case of simple fortitutde.

Hell my 3nd cousins and family friends live in the 3rd poorest country in the world and they're lazy sons of bitches lol who eat coconuts and fish all day and live backwards. They still get sunlight, a family who loves them, a clear-cut mission in life (survive) and loyal wives and get to enjoy mother nature with minimal pollution and lack constant advertisements that aim at picking out deficits whithin you

Last edited by JEFFERSON MONEY : 01-26-2013 at 07:53 PM.
JEFFERSON MONEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 07:54 PM   #73
ace23

ace23 posts stuff that is definitely making some people angryace23 posts stuff that is definitely making some people angry

Quote:
Appreciation is relative outside of basic necessities.
And there are a lot of people out there who don't have those.
ace23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 08:12 PM   #74
Mr. I'm So Rad
So What If It Is

Quote:
Originally Posted by ace23
And there are a lot of people out there who don't have those.

True, but what relevance does that hold? Just because you are able to drink a glass of water from your sink doesn't mean you are wrong for being distraught over things that go awry in your life.

My point is that just because person A's life is less shitty than person B's life doesn't mean that person A's life can't still be shitty and worth being depressed over.
Old 01-26-2013, 08:17 PM   #75
HardwoodLegend
The Magical T-Mac

HardwoodLegend is a pretty well-respected posterHardwoodLegend is a pretty well-respected posterHardwoodLegend is a pretty well-respected poster

Quote:
True, but what relevance does that hold? Just because you are able to drink a glass of water from your sink doesn't mean you are wrong for being distraught over things that go awry in your life.

My point is that just because person A's life is less shitty than person B's life doesn't mean that person A's life can't still be shitty and worth being depressed over.

100% agree with where you're coming from.

Pointing at people with the most dire of circumstances isn't even relevant for me, because I wouldn't even categorize that as "life". If I were in their circumstances, I would just be begging for a bullet and any enduring of said circumstances isn't "honor"... it's stupidity and utter haplessness.
HardwoodLegend is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: