Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 08-14-2012, 09:21 AM   #1
LiLharvard
I see GREEN people..

LiLharvard has an OK reputation so far
Default false resume/cv

have you ever done it?

bout 9months ago i became quiet chappy with this guy who is high up in a company. He started puffin' bit'of smoke about getting me a job where he worked.
Im quite young and this guy is a complete stranger its not like he knows me at all we met once. I basically didnt hear from him for id say longer than 12 months and out of the blue last week he calls me up saying hes got me a position. The job pays almost 3 times as much as im getting right now but i have to go to the other side of the country to work/live. This guy has called me a few times, the last of which was today when he asked me to make a few false statements on the resume... i responded by saying wont they find out ?? and he didnt seem to fussed by it he said only 2 ppl are above me or sone crap... i dont kno what to do at the time of writing this ive embarked on this new resume but ive only done a few embelishments"" i havnt done the part where he wants me to say ive been workin in some other job for a full year and a half...
My Dad actually thinks im being scammed or some crap.... but hes old and paranoid.

My question to ish is ;
have you ever made up stuff on resumes ? Would you get in trouble and how would they find out if you put a reliable phony reference etc. and they did check up on it... do they even check up on that shit... most jobs ive got have been at interviews where they give u the job on site.

Last edited by LiLharvard : 08-14-2012 at 09:24 AM.
LiLharvard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 09:25 AM   #2
Faptastrophe
Rivalries Never Die

Faptastrophe is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableFaptastrophe is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableFaptastrophe is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableFaptastrophe is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableFaptastrophe is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableFaptastrophe is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableFaptastrophe is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableFaptastrophe is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableFaptastrophe is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableFaptastrophe is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableFaptastrophe is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable
Default Re: false resume/cv

Everyone exaggerates on their resumes a little, but if you choose to lie, doing it without backup is asking to get caught.
Faptastrophe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 09:28 AM   #3
niko
I Run NY.

niko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

I used to do people's resumes while i was in college. Faking is ok but has to be reasonable. I prefer exaggerating, especially in older jobs. It depends what you are going for. If you are a young kid, and have no experience, pretending you worked for your uncle for 2 years is not a big deal. You can't pretend to work for Citibank though.
niko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 09:29 AM   #4
LiLharvard
I see GREEN people..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faptastrophe
Everyone exaggerates on their resumes a little, but if you choose to lie, doing it without backup is asking to get caught.
do you have any advice should i pretend my 29 y.o sister was my supervisor? and tell her to be on notice for a call
Old 08-14-2012, 09:30 AM   #5
LiLharvard
I see GREEN people..

Quote:
Originally Posted by niko
I used to do people's resumes while i was in college. Faking is ok but has to be reasonable. I prefer exaggerating, especially in older jobs. It depends what you are going for. If you are a young kid, and have no experience, pretending you worked for your uncle for 2 years is not a big deal. You can't pretend to work for Citibank though.

citibank....
Old 08-14-2012, 09:32 AM   #6
LiLharvard
I see GREEN people..

Quote:
Originally Posted by niko

i work in retail have for a year now.

the guy wants me to pretend ive worked with a plumber for the last year
Old 08-14-2012, 09:34 AM   #7
Faptastrophe
Rivalries Never Die

Faptastrophe is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableFaptastrophe is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableFaptastrophe is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableFaptastrophe is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableFaptastrophe is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableFaptastrophe is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableFaptastrophe is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableFaptastrophe is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableFaptastrophe is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableFaptastrophe is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableFaptastrophe is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiLharvard
do you have any advice should i pretend my 29 y.o sister was my supervisor? and tell her to be on notice for a call
I have some acquaintances who would add their friends as references in a company and these friends would tell bare faced lies about the quality of the candidate's work etc.
Your friends can pretend to be HR too..
Faptastrophe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 09:36 AM   #8
LiLharvard
I see GREEN people..

so your saying i should just go ahead with it, no worrying about it and no looking back.
Old 08-14-2012, 09:37 AM   #9
niko
I Run NY.

niko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
so your saying i should just go ahead with it, no worrying about it and no looking back.
Basically the people who vouch for you just have to make sense and not sound stupid. If they do, you just won't get hired.
niko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 10:08 AM   #10
Jailblazers7
will-to-bigness

Jailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

There is obviously a certain element of selling yourself on a resume but I have never lied.
Jailblazers7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 10:29 AM   #11
nathanjizzle
OG

nathanjizzle has an EXTREMELY bad reputation around these partsnathanjizzle has an EXTREMELY bad reputation around these partsnathanjizzle has an EXTREMELY bad reputation around these partsnathanjizzle has an EXTREMELY bad reputation around these partsnathanjizzle has an EXTREMELY bad reputation around these partsnathanjizzle has an EXTREMELY bad reputation around these parts

why should you get a job that someone else is more qualified then you to have.

but whatever, Its a puppy eat puppy world.
nathanjizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 10:31 AM   #12
nathanjizzle
OG

nathanjizzle has an EXTREMELY bad reputation around these partsnathanjizzle has an EXTREMELY bad reputation around these partsnathanjizzle has an EXTREMELY bad reputation around these partsnathanjizzle has an EXTREMELY bad reputation around these partsnathanjizzle has an EXTREMELY bad reputation around these partsnathanjizzle has an EXTREMELY bad reputation around these parts

nathanjizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 04:58 PM   #13
Kobr
Bryant

Kobr is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKobr is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKobr is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKobr is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKobr is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKobr is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKobr is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKobr is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKobr is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKobr is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKobr is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

I've fluffed up the experience section and stretched the dates, but I haven't completely fabricated past jobs or lied about education. I guess the worst case scenario would be you getting fired and being back to square one if they found out. Assuming you're not lying about having a license in medicine/law/finance/etc, it's not like you'd be breaking the law by saying you worked somewhere you didn't.
Kobr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 05:03 PM   #14
johndeeregreen
Oh yeah, Mitch Kramer?

johndeeregreen is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjohndeeregreen is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjohndeeregreen is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjohndeeregreen is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjohndeeregreen is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjohndeeregreen is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjohndeeregreen is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjohndeeregreen is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjohndeeregreen is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjohndeeregreen is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjohndeeregreen is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Everyone fluffs their resume a bit, but working in retail and pretending you've worked a year in plumbing is a pretty big stretch and something that is apt to backfire on you.

And give your old man a little bit of credit on this one. Not saying he's right in this instance, but in general. Every kid thinks their dad is full of shit at some point, but they're usually right. This entire thing does sound pretty iffy BTW. Not necessarily in terms of getting scammed, but certainly in terms of making a huge life decision based on one guy you met out of the blue who may or may not be blowing smoke up you ass.
johndeeregreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 05:23 PM   #15
kentatm
NBA Legend

kentatm is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekentatm is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekentatm is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekentatm is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekentatm is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekentatm is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekentatm is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekentatm is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekentatm is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekentatm is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekentatm is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
i work in retail have for a year now.

the guy wants me to pretend ive worked with a plumber for the last year

just by what you have posted it sounds like you dad may be right about this cat trying to somehow scam you.

what would the new job be?
kentatm is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: