Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 08-14-2012, 11:46 PM   #46
dajadeed
High School Starter

dajadeed has decent reputationdajadeed has decent reputation
Default Re: The Case for Gun Control

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balla_Status
Great plan dude. Great fucking plan. That will totally solve our problems.

Again, let me know when criminals follow laws.

Yeah, lets just say **** it and live in anarchy. What part of better regulation don't you understand?
dajadeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 11:49 PM   #47
dajadeed
High School Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milton
This is the last time I'm explaining this to you, I have made no straw mans your position has been perfectly understood and I have consistently focused on it. Have you never had a discussion were someone used metaphors and similar situations to explain something to you before?

If you say a rock will not fall after being thrown in the air, then I say no look at this similar situation where a piece of wood is thrown in the air then falls, I have not straw manned your argument about the rock.

There are probably more military veterans in America than there are Afghan insurgents, the American people are also more heavily armed, that is a fact.

There are also over 300 million Americans. How many Afghans are there?

You are wrong. Let's just leave it at that. It's silly to think the American public is armed and organized enough to stand up to the government.

If you don't see the difference between the US and a country that is used to warfare for years then I don't know what to tell you.

It's a moot point anyway, the US government is actually set up so well now that the 2nd amendment is moot. It's not going rogue. If it does, Billy Bob in Hunstville, Alabama isn't going to do a damn thing about it.
Old 08-15-2012, 01:25 AM   #48
Milton
I airball my layups

Milton has not been impressing people

Quote:
Originally Posted by dajadeed
You are wrong. Let's just leave it at that. It's silly to think the American public is armed and organized enough to stand up to the government.

If you don't see the difference between the US and a country that is used to warfare for years then I don't know what to tell you.

It's a moot point anyway, the US government is actually set up so well now that the 2nd amendment is moot. It's not going rogue. If it does, Billy Bob in Hunstville, Alabama isn't going to do a damn thing about it.

haha Set up well, the president has the power to indefinitely detain you and has been murdering American teenagers, I'd hate to see what you think a bad set up is.
Lets not even get into the massive theft used to bailout all the well connected rich people at your expense.

You've basically been reduced to arguing that Afghans are super people.
Milton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 02:47 AM   #49
joe
College star

joe is considered somewhat cooljoe is considered somewhat cooljoe is considered somewhat cool

Why do democrats always talk about gun control when it comes to the PEOPLE.. but never when it comes to the government? Why does the state operate under such an extreme double standard in all cases? They keep all the guns/bombs/ammo.. and we walk around with box cutters? Good plan. Thousands of years of government oppression has taught humanity nothing.

Quote:

Yeah, lets just say **** it and live in anarchy.
What part of better regulation don't you understand?

I agree, sir.
joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 07:56 AM   #50
miller-time
NBA sixth man of the year

miller-time is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postermiller-time is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postermiller-time is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postermiller-time is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postermiller-time is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postermiller-time is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postermiller-time is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postermiller-time is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postermiller-time is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postermiller-time is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Right because people would stop murdering each other if all the guns went away.

10,000 is a statistic. it isn't a number that represents people who would only have been killed by guns. you are right a proportion of that 10,000 would be killed regardless of gun law. however that number would decrease dramatically without guns. so lets say it is cut by 50%. that is 5000 people per year who continue to live, which is more than the people killed on 9/11. if 9/11 happened every year would you try and do something to prevent the pointless deaths? or would you be fighting for the rights of the people committing the crime (whether they are consciously choosing to do so or not)?

taking away or modifying specific rights isn't an attack on freedom. because freedom for society is more important than freedom for the individual.

just to add, i am not equating all gun owners with terrorists. i'm using them as an example of changing laws to prevent undesirable outcomes. fighting for the rights of people who might be a danger to society isn't a demonstration of freedom.
miller-time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 02:05 PM   #51
Milton
I airball my layups

Milton has not been impressing people

Quote:
Originally Posted by miller-time
10,000 is a statistic. it isn't a number that represents people who would only have been killed by guns. you are right a proportion of that 10,000 would be killed regardless of gun law. however that number would decrease dramatically without guns. so lets say it is cut by 50%. that is 5000 people per year who continue to live, which is more than the people killed on 9/11. if 9/11 happened every year would you try and do something to prevent the pointless deaths? or would you be fighting for the rights of the people committing the crime (whether they are consciously choosing to do so or not)?

taking away or modifying specific rights isn't an attack on freedom. because freedom for society is more important than freedom for the individual.

just to add, i am not equating all gun owners with terrorists. i'm using them as an example of changing laws to prevent undesirable outcomes. fighting for the rights of people who might be a danger to society isn't a demonstration of freedom.
First how do you plan on accomplishing this, criminals tend to ignore laws.

Taking away freedom is taking away freedom no matter how you try and look at it.

Source for statistic? For all I know all those 10 000 deserved it.
Why are places with very nonrestrictive gun laws not experiencing a vastly higher crime rate, according to you the difference should be around 50%,

Compare the crime rate in Vermont, no license test or anything needed to carry a gun, to Illinois where they are very restricted.
Milton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 02:19 PM   #52
Math2
Local High School Star

Math2 posts stuff that is definitely making some people angryMath2 posts stuff that is definitely making some people angry

Quote:

Taking away freedom is taking away freedom no matter how you try and look at it.

Why are places with very nonrestrictive gun laws not experiencing a vastly higher crime rate, according to you the difference should be around 50%,

Compare the crime rate in Vermont, no license test or anything needed to carry a gun, to Illinois where they are very restricted.
Math2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 02:22 PM   #53
raiderfan19
Shazam!

raiderfan19 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterraiderfan19 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterraiderfan19 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterraiderfan19 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterraiderfan19 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterraiderfan19 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterraiderfan19 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterraiderfan19 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterraiderfan19 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterraiderfan19 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by miller-time

You need to understand the basic premise that you cannot protect the freedom of society by taking away the freedoms of an individual.
raiderfan19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 02:24 PM   #54
magictricked
Great young streetballer

magictricked has a near all-star reputation heremagictricked has a near all-star reputation heremagictricked has a near all-star reputation heremagictricked has a near all-star reputation heremagictricked has a near all-star reputation heremagictricked has a near all-star reputation here

I you initiate stricter gun control laws you don't do it on the consumer end you have to cut it off at the place where they enter the market. CNN did a piece right after Aurora Colo. and reported 75% of the guns used in crimes are obtained illegally.

That has and always be the problem with gun control laws. Criminals are not walking into gun shops and buying guns, they're buying them on the black market, even if they banned gun sales across the nation it would just create another market for criminals to exploit. We can't stop drugs from pouring into the country don't know why people think guns would be different. The only thing that would dramatically change is the type of guns being used in crimes
magictricked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 02:37 PM   #55
ProfessorMurder
I am your soldier!

ProfessorMurder is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableProfessorMurder is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableProfessorMurder is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableProfessorMurder is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableProfessorMurder is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableProfessorMurder is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableProfessorMurder is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableProfessorMurder is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableProfessorMurder is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableProfessorMurder is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableProfessorMurder is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

If you people are complaining that reducing gun sales only hurts normal civilians, why don't you just illegally buy a gun and protect yourself with it if stricter laws pass? Shouldn't be that hard if dumb criminals can do it.

Quote:

Oh I'm sure you've crunched the numbers about the difference in gang violence, population, population density, and many other factors to make comparing those two states a logical argument.
ProfessorMurder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 02:44 PM   #56
Myth
NBA Legend and Hall of Famer

Myth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Macho Man
I don't know because I don't really give a shit but don't countries/states with tighter gun control have less gun violence?

This to me is the best argument out there one way or another. Outside of this argument, everybody just argues about hypotheticals and theories. Hand guns are the bigger issue to me. A concealed weapon is the most dangerous part. I think everybody should have the right to have a rifle. You can still go hunting with a rifle and you can protect your home with a rifle, but you can't walk around in public without people noticing you with a rifle.
Myth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 03:54 PM   #57
raiderfan19
Shazam!

raiderfan19 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterraiderfan19 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterraiderfan19 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterraiderfan19 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterraiderfan19 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterraiderfan19 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterraiderfan19 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterraiderfan19 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterraiderfan19 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterraiderfan19 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myth
This to me is the best argument out there one way or another. Outside of this argument, everybody just argues about hypotheticals and theories. Hand guns are the bigger issue to me. A concealed weapon is the most dangerous part. I think everybody should have the right to have a rifle. You can still go hunting with a rifle and you can protect your home with a rifle, but you can't walk around in public without people noticing you with a rifle.
It's not true though
raiderfan19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 04:05 PM   #58
DonDadda59
Lord High Executioner

DonDadda59 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDonDadda59 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDonDadda59 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDonDadda59 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDonDadda59 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDonDadda59 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDonDadda59 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDonDadda59 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDonDadda59 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDonDadda59 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDonDadda59 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Is it just me or do some of the people arguing for no/less gun control sound like paranoid schizophrenics? Are you really gearing up to 'fight tyranny' like you're some militia member in the 1700s?
DonDadda59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 04:40 PM   #59
dajadeed
High School Starter

Quote:
haha Set up well, the president has the power to indefinitely detain you and has been murdering American teenagers, I'd hate to see what you think a bad set up is.
Lets not even get into the massive theft used to bailout all the well connected rich people at your expense.

You've basically been reduced to arguing that Afghans are super people.

Are you really that dense?
Old 08-15-2012, 04:52 PM   #60
Jailblazers7
will-to-bigness

Jailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:

I think you are mixing up the causal relationship between gun regulation and violent crime.
Jailblazers7 is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: