Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 08-15-2012, 05:25 PM   #61
MAC system
Serious playground baller
 
MAC system's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 457
Default Re: The Case for Gun Control

I love when people bring up the topic of gun control and compare America to other countries murder rates, while completely ignoring the huge difference in minorities in America compared to those countries. If you don't think that has an impact on gun violence, you're a god damn fool.
MAC system is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 07:31 PM   #62
Milton
I airball my layups
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 54
Default Re: The Case for Gun Control

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jailblazers7
I think you are mixing up the causal relationship between gun regulation and violent crime.
How so? I'm arguing that gun regulation has little effect on crime apart from disarming people who follow laws, since guns are just tools. Others are arguing that more guns equals more crime people going crazy and shooting each other so I'm showing them places where there are lots of guns and few rules restricting them where this is not the case.

Last edited by Milton : 08-15-2012 at 07:35 PM.
Milton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 10:16 PM   #63
Myth
NBA Legend and Hall of Famer
 
Myth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Orange County
Posts: 21,837
Default Re: The Case for Gun Control

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milton
How so? I'm arguing that gun regulation has little effect on crime apart from disarming people who follow laws, since guns are just tools. Others are arguing that more guns equals more crime people going crazy and shooting each other so I'm showing them places where there are lots of guns and few rules restricting them where this is not the case.

Only the more hardened criminals would go out of their way to get guns illegally. But the more casual criminals that commit crimes of convenience wouldn't go out of their way to get a gun through the black market. Same goes with kids who shoot up their schools. They get guns from their parents, they don't get guns from some shady guy on the street.
Myth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 10:46 PM   #64
Milton
I airball my layups
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 54
Default Re: The Case for Gun Control

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myth
Only the more hardened criminals would go out of their way to get guns illegally. But the more casual criminals that commit crimes of convenience wouldn't go out of their way to get a gun through the black market. Same goes with kids who shoot up their schools. They get guns from their parents, they don't get guns from some shady guy on the street.
Well they wouldn't need any since there victims would be defenseless.

But what makes guns special? The government has failed in all the other instances it has tried to keep from getting things.

Lets be realistic now you think someone who wants to shoot up a school is just going to change there mind because they have to leave their house to get a gun?
Milton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 11:00 PM   #65
tpols
3-time NBA All-Star
 
tpols's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 10,868
Default Re: The Case for Gun Control

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milton
Well they wouldn't need any since there victims would be defenseless.

But what makes guns special? The government has failed in all the other instances it has tried to keep from getting things.

Lets be realistic now you think someone who wants to shoot up a school is just going to change there mind because they have to leave their house to get a gun?
they only thought about shooting up the school in the first place because they had the guns.. those columbine guys and this past movie theater guy both had legally obtained guns that they took to shooting ranges and used. If some of those high school kids' parents didnt have rifles around? They wouldnt have been practicing with anything and that exact thought never wpouldve popped into their head. Maybe they wouldve done some other violent act to others or themselves but it wouldnt have been with the same possible damage.
tpols is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 11:16 PM   #66
Milton
I airball my layups
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 54
Default Re: The Case for Gun Control

Quote:
Originally Posted by tpols
they only thought about shooting up the school in the first place because they had the guns.. those columbine guys and this past movie theater guy both had legally obtained guns that they took to shooting ranges and used. If some of those high school kids' parents didnt have rifles around? They wouldnt have been practicing with anything and that exact thought never wpouldve popped into their head. Maybe they wouldve done some other violent act to others or themselves but it wouldnt have been with the same possible damage.
So you're saying if there parents didn't have guns they wouldn't have been violent? The guns made them violent lol? Do you feel an urge to stab someone every time you hold a kitchen knife?

So how do you propose to keep guns away from people? The government has never succeed in keeping anything else away from people what will be the difference this time?
Milton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 11:17 PM   #67
ProfessorMurder
I am your soldier!
 
ProfessorMurder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: In the year 2525
Posts: 20,814
Default Re: The Case for Gun Control

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milton
So you're saying if there parents didn't have guns they wouldn't have been violent? The guns made them violent lol? Do you feel an urge to stab someone every time you hold a kitchen knife?

So how do you propose to keep guns away from people? The government has never succeed in keeping anything else away from people what will be the difference this time?

So you're saying:

less guns = more gun violence
more guns = less gun violence

Yeah, that checks out.
ProfessorMurder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 11:33 PM   #68
Milton
I airball my layups
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 54
Default Re: The Case for Gun Control

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfessorMurder
So you're saying:

less guns = more gun violence
more guns = less gun violence

Yeah, that checks out.
So you're saying:

Government makes something illegal, there will be less of it.

Yeah that checks out.
Milton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 11:39 PM   #69
tpols
3-time NBA All-Star
 
tpols's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 10,868
Default Re: The Case for Gun Control

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milton
So you're saying if there parents didn't have guns they wouldn't have been violent? The guns made them violent lol? Do you feel an urge to stab someone every time you hold a kitchen knife?
I said in my post that they would be violent still but in a different way. They wouldnt have created a plot to shoot up a school if they never had gunsin the first place. Homemade bombs which failed anyway and maybesome other shit? Sure.. wouldnt have done 1/10 of the damage rifles did.
tpols is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 11:45 PM   #70
Milton
I airball my layups
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 54
Default Re: The Case for Gun Control

Quote:
Originally Posted by tpols
I said in my post that they would be violent still but in a different way. They wouldnt have created a plot to shoot up a school if they never had gunsin the first place. Homemade bombs which failed anyway and maybesome other shit? Sure.. wouldnt have done 1/10 of the damage rifles did.
I think you're vastly underestimating the power of explosives, or say some thing like 911

How do you propose to keep them from ever getting a gun in the first place?
Decades and trillions of dollars have been spent trying to keep cocaine from south/central America out of the US it still get's there. You don't need to spend months growing fields of guns.

All outlawing guns does is ensure people who follow laws can't shoot back
Milton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 11:52 PM   #71
tpols
3-time NBA All-Star
 
tpols's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 10,868
Default Re: The Case for Gun Control

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milton
I think you're vastly underestimating the power of explosives, or say some thing like 911

How do you propose to keep them from ever getting a gun in the first place?
Decades and trillions of dollars have been spent trying to keep cocaine from south/central America out of the US it still get's there. You don't need to spend months growing fields of guns.

All outlawing guns does is ensure people who follow laws can't shoot back
Explosives are very bad.. but all their shit failed. And you cant stop them from making shit like that with homemade materials.

Guns? 15-16 year old pimply faced kids who get tossed in lockers arent visiting inner city denver and buying illegal semiautos from Pablo. They arent making rifles on their own. Theyre not getting them in H.S. if their parents dont have them vand they wouldnt have plotted it that way if they didnt have the opportunity staring them in the face.
tpols is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 11:53 PM   #72
Myth
NBA Legend and Hall of Famer
 
Myth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Orange County
Posts: 21,837
Default Re: The Case for Gun Control

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milton
Lets be realistic now you think someone who wants to shoot up a school is just going to change there mind because they have to leave their house to get a gun?

Teens often wouldn't have the connections to know where to go outside of the house to get a gun. Especially the bullied anti-social ones that are more likely to shoot up the place.
Myth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 11:56 PM   #73
Myth
NBA Legend and Hall of Famer
 
Myth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Orange County
Posts: 21,837
Default Re: The Case for Gun Control

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milton
So you're saying:

Government makes something illegal, there will be less of it.

Yeah that checks out.

Actually yes, it does check out.

Do you know how much more prominent all the different drugs would be if they were legal and sold straight out of stores?
Myth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 12:01 AM   #74
Milton
I airball my layups
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 54
Default Re: The Case for Gun Control

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myth
Actually yes, it does check out.

Do you know how much more prominent all the different drugs would be if they were legal and sold straight out of stores?

How hard do you think it is to get drugs? Did you go to high school?

Do you know it's harder for minors to get Alcohol than Marijuana? Why do you think that is?

Also why do countries with more liberal drug laws not have much higher usage rates?

Everyone who wants to do drugs already is.

" However, the finding that marijuana use rates did not differ across countries is not consistent with the contention that prohibition-oriented policies deter use or that liberal marijuana policies are associated with elevated adolescent use. "
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2790541/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myth
Teens often wouldn't have the connections to know where to go outside of the house to get a gun. Especially the bullied anti-social ones that are more likely to shoot up the place.
You can get guns over the internet without ever talking to someone.

Or in a lot of places you can just go talk to someone on a street corner.

Last edited by Milton : 08-16-2012 at 12:05 AM.
Milton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 12:12 AM   #75
tpols
3-time NBA All-Star
 
tpols's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 10,868
Default Re: The Case for Gun Control

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milton
How hard do you think it is to get drugs? Did you go to high school?

Do you know it's harder for minors to get Alcohol than Marijuana? Why do you think that is?

Also why do countries with more liberal drug laws not have much higher usage rates?
You're comparing getting a little weed to getting an illegal rifle? What the fvck? Suburban kids dont sell guns. They never have and never will. All these 'massacres' that occur happen in areas where that type of illegal activity isnt present.

Selling Weed
Selling pills/coke











Selling guns

Selling uranium

Thats the differences in severity. People that sell illegal guns are in a whole different league. It's like comparing pop warner to the nfl
tpols is online now   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by:
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:02 PM.




NBA Basketball Forum Key Links:
InsideHoops Home
NBA Rumors
Basketball Blog
NBA Daily Recaps
NBA Videos
Fantasy Basketball
NBA Mock Draft
NBA Free Agents
All-Star Weekend
---
High School Basketball
Streetball
---
InsideHoops Twitter
Search Our Site













Powered by vBulletin Version 3.5.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. Terms of Use/Service | Privacy Policy