Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 08-16-2012, 09:36 AM   #46
Godzuki
3-time NBA All-Star

Godzuki has an OK reputation so far
Default Re: How and Why did Tebow become so popular?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackass18
LOL, at all the excuses. Nothing but excuses. "Oh, well they didn't really try in the first 3 quarters because they wanted to win it in the 4th quarter. Well, Tebow didn't complete more passes because he was playing it safe." It's Tebow's fault if he didn't have enough confidence to complete more passes. Also, as I pointed out, the Broncos didn't do very good in the games Tebow opened it up. The hell you bringing up Dilfer for? He completed nearly 60% of his passes the year they won the SB. And you called the Bears' 17th ranked defense a top D? Oh, and I like the part where you say people shouldn't use stats. Uh huh, stats are fine to use for any other player, but when it comes to Tebow? Nah, don't use stats because they, um, well, they're misleading...

Yeah man, we know they had a good running game. We're pointing out that their style worked against weak teams (though, all the games they did win were really close), but when they played good teams, they got smashed. Does that seem sustainable to you? I'll give them credit for upsetting the Steelers in the playoffs, but the grand praise for Tebow went waaaaay overboard. You'd think he was the only player on the Broncos the way they talked about him.

so you're saying the bears were a bad D last year, or even being ranked 17th described them? so they were mediocre? and thats exactly why i brought up you guys using stats since if u watched the football season that bears D was one of the better in the league altho they had some pass D issues, definitely not a middle of the pack D tho.....i brought up Dilfer because thats the way he played where he made a lot of throw aways. the SB Ravens played based on their D in a similar way. there are certain ways different teams play that you HAVE to acknowledge if u watch the least bit of football, and defensive minded teams like that who want to win/lose based on their D play so their offenses don't turn the ball over and give very little offensive opportunities. they don't mind burning 3rd downs on obvious run plays against stacked boxes because they're so afraid to turn it over. As opposed to say a air it out offense like the SB Rams or something where they're risking a lot but getting rewarded a lot as well for it. these things HAVE to be factored in if you want to try to make sense of Tebows stats that you're trying to put down and blame him for.

they ran on teams that had tough run defenses to a lot of Tebows credit. and i'm not even saying Tebow is blameless but i am saying they had him playing on pins and needles, it was their style, and i think Tebow is a lot more capable than most give him credit for. i bet if u asked Brees, Peyton, whomever, if a QB is not allowed to take many chances he's simply not going to make many plays. i blame Fox more then Tebow for the first 3 Qtrs in his ineffectiveness more than anyone, and their style of play for a lot of the things you all are putting on him.

Last edited by Godzuki : 08-16-2012 at 09:39 AM.
Godzuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 10:15 AM   #47
Real Men Wear Green
Your ad here

Real Men Wear Green is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableReal Men Wear Green is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableReal Men Wear Green is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableReal Men Wear Green is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableReal Men Wear Green is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableReal Men Wear Green is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableReal Men Wear Green is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableReal Men Wear Green is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableReal Men Wear Green is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableReal Men Wear Green is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableReal Men Wear Green is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdreason
He won back to back NCAA Titles, and he's the poster boy for Christian America.
Chris Leak led UF to a Championship with Tebow as a very good short-yardage threat but still 2nd-string, like what the Jets claim to be planning. The next year Tebow won the Heisman as a Soph but there was no Championship. The season after that he led the Gators to a Championship. There was no back-to-back.
Real Men Wear Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 10:49 AM   #48
Thorpesaurous
NBA rookie of the year

Thorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jailblazers7
I like Tebow because he has the power to make 30+ year old straight talkers like Thorpe say "no homo".

If that's not proof of intelligent design then I don't know what is.

For all my straight talking ... I did almost thirteen minutes of stand up last night at an open mic night.
Thorpesaurous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 11:49 AM   #49
Clyde
Local High School Star

Clyde is considered somewhat coolClyde is considered somewhat coolClyde is considered somewhat cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by christian1923
I mean he won a few games in the nfl but his record as a starter is like 9-7. It cant be cause hes a winner. lol

Multiple national championships.

Heisman

nuff said
Clyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 12:01 PM   #50
Bucket_Nakedz
Buckle up

Bucket_Nakedz is popular on this boardBucket_Nakedz is popular on this boardBucket_Nakedz is popular on this boardBucket_Nakedz is popular on this board

he's white, he's christian, and he's a fukking winner.
Bucket_Nakedz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 05:53 PM   #51
Jackass18
The Iron Price

Jackass18 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJackass18 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJackass18 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJackass18 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJackass18 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJackass18 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJackass18 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJackass18 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJackass18 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJackass18 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJackass18 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godzuki
so you're saying the bears were a bad D last year, or even being ranked 17th described them? so they were mediocre? and thats exactly why i brought up you guys using stats since if u watched the football season that bears D was one of the better in the league altho they had some pass D issues, definitely not a middle of the pack D tho

Yeah, don't use stats anytime they contradict what you say... And, no, I wouldn't say the Bears D was bad as they played a number of games against some of the top offenses in the league. I'm just saying they didn't have one of the top defenses. Also, why are you only focused on their defense? You're trying to excuse that the Bears were playing with Hanie at QB, Barber at RB, and their mediocre group of receivers. You can see why they were awful during that stretch. Hanie ended up getting benched in favor Josh McCown. You have to be pretty awful for McCown to get the start over you.

Quote:
.....i brought up Dilfer because thats the way he played where he made a lot of throw aways.

Dilfer played as a game manager trying not to make too many mistakes, but he still completed nearly 60% of his passes while Tebow was down around 45%.

Quote:
the SB Ravens played based on their D in a similar way. there are certain ways different teams play that you HAVE to acknowledge if u watch the least bit of football, and defensive minded teams like that who want to win/lose based on their D play so their offenses don't turn the ball over and give very little offensive opportunities.

So, if a team sees a weakness in a player (like say Tebow throwing the ball...), then they try to hide it with their strengths? Well, duh.

Quote:
As opposed to say a air it out offense like the SB Rams or something where they're risking a lot but getting rewarded a lot as well for it. these things HAVE to be factored in if you want to try to make sense of Tebows stats that you're trying to put down and blame him for.

If Tebow could air it out, then they would have, but since Tebow is limited as a QB, their offense was limited, too. It's nice that you have all these excuses for him and want me to blame everyone else for his stats...

Quote:
i blame Fox more then Tebow for the first 3 Qtrs in his ineffectiveness more than anyone, and their style of play for a lot of the things you all are putting on him.

Of course you do. You use every excuse in the book when it comes to Tebow.
Jackass18 is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: