Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 08-17-2012, 11:20 PM   #46
Canelo_Griffin
I hit open layups
 
Canelo_Griffin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: GDL, OK
Posts: 157
Default Re: Team USA gets first win in Mexico

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balla_Status
That was played in Mexico City...huge home field advantage. Doesn't count.

Doesn't count?

So the US win over Mexico on Wednesday doesn't count since the Home team was automatically supposed to win, no questions asked. The 90+ minutes of play are just for shits and giggles. South Africa should have been awarded the World Cup in 2010, Germany in 2006 and Korea/Japan should have shared the Cup in 2002. Also, France's World Cup should be revoked because they were playing at home and it doesn't count since it's a well known fact that the home team plays with 5 extra players, can use their hands at any time, and each red card they receive awards them 3 extra goals and deducts 2 goals from the away team

Dude, it's pretty much a fact that Mexico is head and shoulders above the USMNT in terms of quality players and overall play right now. In fact, one US website even went as far as saying that the US is closer to 3rd, 4th, or 5th place in the Concacaf than they are to Mexico's undisputed place at the top. That may be a little too extreme but that just goes to show what the general sentiment is regarding US vs. Mexico.
Canelo_Griffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 06:01 AM   #47
Balla_Status
______________________
 
Balla_Status's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 4,913
Default Re: Team USA gets first win in Mexico

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canelo_Griffin
Doesn't count?

So the US win over Mexico on Wednesday doesn't count since the Home team was automatically supposed to win, no questions asked. The 90+ minutes of play are just for shits and giggles. South Africa should have been awarded the World Cup in 2010, Germany in 2006 and Korea/Japan should have shared the Cup in 2002. Also, France's World Cup should be revoked because they were playing at home and it doesn't count since it's a well known fact that the home team plays with 5 extra players, can use their hands at any time, and each red card they receive awards them 3 extra goals and deducts 2 goals from the away team

Dude, it's pretty much a fact that Mexico is head and shoulders above the USMNT in terms of quality players and overall play right now. In fact, one US website even went as far as saying that the US is closer to 3rd, 4th, or 5th place in the Concacaf than they are to Mexico's undisputed place at the top. That may be a little too extreme but that just goes to show what the general sentiment is regarding US vs. Mexico.

Yeah, Mexico was supposed to win because of the severe home field advantage there and you know it. Don't even try to compare South Africa to Mexico. You do know Bolivia has beaten Argentina and Brazil badly in Bolivia right? You know why? Home field advantage due to the extremely high elevation. Same deal in Mexico. Mexico is one of the many places where it's pretty much an unfair advantage right from the start due to the nasty air and elevation. Eric Wynalda threw up blood when he played there. Any of that go on in any of the cities you listed?

And if Mexico is head and shoulders, they would've won you idiot. Nasty air, extremely high elevation USA is not used to, supposedly better quality players and Mexico still couldn't win. How pathetic. You mexicans keep trying to delude yourself that it's pre-2000 and Mexico is head and shoulders about USA when that isn't even close to being true. It's been dead even since.

Last edited by Balla_Status : 08-18-2012 at 06:04 AM.
Balla_Status is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 01:14 PM   #48
Grinder
.
 
Grinder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 7,507
Default Re: Team USA gets first win in Mexico

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balla_Status
Yeah, Mexico was supposed to win because of the severe home field advantage there and you know it. Don't even try to compare South Africa to Mexico. You do know Bolivia has beaten Argentina and Brazil badly in Bolivia right? You know why? Home field advantage due to the extremely high elevation. Same deal in Mexico. Mexico is one of the many places where it's pretty much an unfair advantage right from the start due to the nasty air and elevation. Eric Wynalda threw up blood when he played there. Any of that go on in any of the cities you listed?

And if Mexico is head and shoulders, they would've won you idiot. Nasty air, extremely high elevation USA is not used to, supposedly better quality players and Mexico still couldn't win. How pathetic. You mexicans keep trying to delude yourself that it's pre-2000 and Mexico is head and shoulders about USA when that isn't even close to being true. It's been dead even since.

Well said. The funny thing is that most of these outspoken Mexican fans are the ones that live in the US yet vehemently root against the US national team.
Grinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 03:36 PM   #49
qrich
King Heno
 
qrich's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Tucson/520!
Posts: 19,150
Default Re: Team USA gets first win in Mexico

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balla_Status
That was played in Mexico City...huge home field advantage. Doesn't count.

More like that was 99, the list was from 2000 and on.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Canelo_Griffin
Dude, it's pretty much a fact that Mexico is head and shoulders above the USMNT in terms of quality players and overall play right now. In fact, one US website even went as far as saying that the US is closer to 3rd, 4th, or 5th place in the Concacaf than they are to Mexico's undisputed place at the top. That may be a little too extreme but that just goes to show what the general sentiment is regarding US vs. Mexico.

They are so much better that they lost in conditions they are more used to than the US national team. It'd be like the US hosting Mexico in Buffalo every winter and see how the Mexicans do.

And @ Mexico being the undisputed top place in Concacaf with the US being 5th. I guess Honduras & Trinidad/Tobago > US
qrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 03:50 PM   #50
General
High School Varsity 12th Man
 
General's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 704
Default Re: Team USA gets first win in Mexico

Quote:
Originally Posted by qrich
They are so much better that they lost in conditions they are more used to than the US national team. It'd be like the US hosting Mexico in Buffalo every winter and see how the Mexicans do.
It's not the altitude that causes it to be an advantage, it's usually the 105k+ fans. Less than 55,000 fans showed up for this game. Once again, no one cared about this game in Mexico. People in Mexico don't even consider USA to be their biggest rival because they don't respect the USMNT bunker ball because they play Mexico the same as Costa Rica, Salvador, Trinidad-Tobago do.

It's usually the Mexican-Americans who consider it a rivalry because they have to deal with irrational Americans and are brainwashed by ESPN and Univision trying to make it a rivalry.
General is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 07:30 PM   #51
Canelo_Griffin
I hit open layups
 
Canelo_Griffin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: GDL, OK
Posts: 157
Default Re: Team USA gets first soccer win in Mexico

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balla_Status
Yeah, Mexico was supposed to win because of the severe home field advantage there and you know it. Don't even try to compare South Africa to Mexico. You do know Bolivia has beaten Argentina and Brazil badly in Bolivia right? You know why? Home field advantage due to the extremely high elevation. Same deal in Mexico. Mexico is one of the many places where it's pretty much an unfair advantage right from the start due to the nasty air and elevation. Eric Wynalda threw up blood when he played there. Any of that go on in any of the cities you listed?

And if Mexico is head and shoulders, they would've won you idiot. Nasty air, extremely high elevation USA is not used to, supposedly better quality players and Mexico still couldn't win. How pathetic. You mexicans keep trying to delude yourself that it's pre-2000 and Mexico is head and shoulders about USA when that isn't even close to being true. It's been dead even since.

So now your argument is based on the assumption that all of the Mexican Players are from Mexico City, so surely they all must be graceful gazelles sprinting from end to end while the US players slowly choke on their own blood?
I don't know if you realize this but Mexico is a fairly big country and its Climate and Topography are as varied as the US. The players come from different states and they are not at all accustomed to the elevation. Besides, the US players surely must have experience playing in Denver (CO Rapids) so I think you are exaggerating the advantage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grinder
Well said. The funny thing is that most of these outspoken Mexican fans are the ones that live in the US yet vehemently root against the US national team.

That's a misconception. Most Mexican Americans root for the USMNT too it's just that the US English media neglects them like a bastard child and thus it is more difficult to keep up with them. When Mexico plays it is blasted all over your face the days leading to the game (in Univision, Telemundo etc.). I believe that is the main difference. Personally, I take sides w/ Mexico when it comes to soccer because when ever i read stuff on forums regarding US vs. Mexico it really irritates me that most US fans are usually racist assholes who resort to taking shots at Mexican culture instead of sticking to the soccer conversation.

Also, I've noticed it's ok for any US Citizen of another ethnicity to root for their country of origin but as soon as a Mexican American starts showing support for Mexico you can bet the "go back to Mexico you stupid beaner" insults will start pouring in...

I'm sure qrich knows what im talking about, with rooting for Armenia. Except they are one of UEFA's punching bags so the scenario is a little different. Also, qrich you mentioned that the US playing in Buffalo would make a difference, but what you fail to realize (just like ballerstatus) is that key players like Donovan and Dempsey are from Southern CA and Texas respectively. How exactly would that give them an advantage over Mexican players from freezing places like Chihuahua, Durango and Zacatecas?
Canelo_Griffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 08:29 PM   #52
qrich
King Heno
 
qrich's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Tucson/520!
Posts: 19,150
Default Re: Team USA gets first win in Mexico

Quote:
Originally Posted by General
It's not the altitude that causes it to be an advantage, it's usually the 105k+ fans. Less than 55,000 fans showed up for this game. Once again, no one cared about this game in Mexico. People in Mexico don't even consider USA to be their biggest rival because they don't respect the USMNT bunker ball because they play Mexico the same as Costa Rica, Salvador, Trinidad-Tobago do.

It's usually the Mexican-Americans who consider it a rivalry because they have to deal with irrational Americans and are brainwashed by ESPN and Univision trying to make it a rivalry.

Meh, the altitude plays a part, doesn't depend on who is in the stands or anything else. The US almost always plays counter attack ball unless its against Barbados or Suriname.

Also, living 80 miles or so from the border, there are a ton of Mexicans who take the rivalry seriously, anyone who says otherwise is thoroughly overestimating the Mexican side and underestimating the American side.

Quote:
I'm sure qrich knows what im talking about, with rooting for Armenia. Except they are one of UEFA's punching bags so the scenario is a little different. Also, qrich you mentioned that the US playing in Buffalo would make a difference, but what you fail to realize (just like ballerstatus) is that key players like Donovan and Dempsey are from Southern CA and Texas respectively. How exactly would that give them an advantage over Mexican players from freezing places like Chihuahua, Durango and Zacatecas?

Yeah, I root for Armenia but if the two sides were to meet, I'd be watching impartially but expecting the US to win, and they probably would in a high scoring match. Armenia's third best player (Yura Movsisyan) wanted to play for the US, but didn't invite him and that ticked me off. Also after the last cycle, I don't see Armenia as being punching bags anymore, but being a 3rd/4th place team in the following cycles. Punching bags remain to be Azerbaijan, Andorra, Malta, San Marino, Iceland, etc.

As far as the weather, those guys have played in cold weather before and adapted well. With a couple months a year of USMNT training camp, I fail to see them having trouble adjusting.
qrich is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by:
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:12 PM.




NBA Basketball Forum Key Links:
InsideHoops Home
NBA Rumors
Basketball Blog
NBA Daily Recaps
NBA Videos
Fantasy Basketball
NBA Mock Draft
NBA Free Agents
All-Star Weekend
---
High School Basketball
Streetball
---
InsideHoops Twitter
Search Our Site













Powered by vBulletin Version 3.5.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. Terms of Use/Service | Privacy Policy