Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 08-17-2012, 11:32 AM   #16
Rake2204
7-time NBA All-Star

Rake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable
Default Re: What Magazines Do You All Read?

I definitely prefer Sports Illustrated to any other sporting publication at this point. I don't subscribe though, I just tend to take my family's old issues when I go home to visit. I enjoy reading about sports I like, but also stories I'm not previously familiar with (the extended cover stories or life interest stories). I appreciate the level of professionalism contained in the writing. I understand it's not perfect, but it's a relief in comparison to. . .

SLAM magazine. I've been a reluctant subscriber to SLAM for probably the past six years. I initially began reading in 1997 as a 7th grader because I enjoyed getting an alternative perspective and something that felt "realer", with their swearing and street talk and whatnot.

Over the years, SLAM began to feel more and more immature, but I think they're actually slowly moving in a better direction. For one, every single feature article no longer follows the same, "Tough upbringing, haters, doubters, overcome, not getting enough respect, will be greater than everyone ever, we discovered him first" pattern. Some of their current player features actually provide depth; for instance, Joe Johnson's article last month about his contributions to his home town's street tourney and monetary donations to cleaning up the area. I'm also a fan of their "Old School" features and interviews.

On the flip side, they still have some cringe-worthy features to their publication. For instance, there's a section where they compare a famous person to a basketball player, and it never makes any sense, and it makes me want to pull my hair out. The connections are always so loose. For instance, it could be "Bruce Willis is Kevin Durant. Bruce starred in a series of movies, Durant starred on a series of teams (Texas, OKC, USA). Bruce lost nearly all his hair early in his career, Durant nearly shaved his head during the summer of 2012. Bruce Willis packed heat in Die Hard. Kevin Durant packed a backpack for road trips."

There's also a section where one player from a specific region is asked about his musical tastes then a musician from that same region is asked about his basketball tastes. Then, in the end, they usually end up giving one another a half-hearted compliment, like, "Yeah, so-and-so's really doing it and reppin' hard for the city. So that's cool."

If SLAM could just take a few more steps and clean up their entire magazine, that'd be nice. As it stands, I subscribe, but only because I have a tough time breaking habits and for a low low price of $10/year, it's kind of tough to turn down.

Last edited by Rake2204 : 08-17-2012 at 11:36 AM.
Rake2204 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 11:37 AM   #17
Bucket_Nakedz
Buckle up

Bucket_Nakedz is popular on this boardBucket_Nakedz is popular on this boardBucket_Nakedz is popular on this boardBucket_Nakedz is popular on this board
Default Re: What Magazines Do You All Read?

sorry, im already subscribed to the internet.
Bucket_Nakedz is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: