Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 08-17-2012, 12:52 PM   #16
dude77
NBA lottery pick

dude77 is starting to rub some people the wrong way
Default Re: Man w/ knife shot 30 times by Police

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Macho Man
I remember I was watching cops one time and there was some lady brandishing a big ass kitchen knife. One of the cops runs up behind her and tackles her and she gets impaled on the knife. More cops showed up and the dude was like "yeah she fell". I was like did you forget you were filming Cops dude, everyone is gonna know you tackled her ass.

Not saying he shouldn't have tackled her, he couldn't have predicted shit would impale her.

is this the one ?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z8qpYTF83WE
dude77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 12:59 PM   #17
The Macho Man
Randy Savage

The Macho Man is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThe Macho Man is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThe Macho Man is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThe Macho Man is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThe Macho Man is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThe Macho Man is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThe Macho Man is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThe Macho Man is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThe Macho Man is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThe Macho Man is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThe Macho Man is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Yup
The Macho Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 01:07 PM   #18
Kblaze8855
Titles are overrated

Kblaze8855 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKblaze8855 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKblaze8855 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKblaze8855 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKblaze8855 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKblaze8855 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKblaze8855 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKblaze8855 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKblaze8855 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKblaze8855 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKblaze8855 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Police killed my neighbor a few days ago in his home. Said he had a rifle. Neighbors say it was a broom. Who knows.......
Kblaze8855 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 01:13 PM   #19
The Macho Man
Randy Savage

The Macho Man is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThe Macho Man is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThe Macho Man is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThe Macho Man is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThe Macho Man is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThe Macho Man is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThe Macho Man is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThe Macho Man is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThe Macho Man is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThe Macho Man is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThe Macho Man is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kblaze8855
Police killed my neighbor a few days ago in his home. Said he had a rifle. Neighbors say it was a broom. Who knows.......

That's no time to be tidying up the home.
The Macho Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 01:20 PM   #20
crisoner
10 plus years on ISH

crisoner is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablecrisoner is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablecrisoner is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablecrisoner is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablecrisoner is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablecrisoner is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablecrisoner is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablecrisoner is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablecrisoner is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablecrisoner is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablecrisoner is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

My bro in law is a cop.
Tell's me stories about all the sh*t they deal with all the time.
Not surprise that this happens sometimes at all.
I am not saying it's right etc. But I'm not surprised.
And not all cases are race issues....I think it's a poverty issue.
crisoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 01:34 PM   #21
ZenMaster
Whap'em

ZenMaster is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterZenMaster is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterZenMaster is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterZenMaster is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterZenMaster is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterZenMaster is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterZenMaster is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterZenMaster is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Macho Man
I remember I was watching cops one time and there was some lady brandishing a big ass kitchen knife. One of the cops runs up behind her and tackles her and she gets impaled on the knife. More cops showed up and the dude was like "yeah she fell". I was like did you forget you were filming Cops dude, everyone is gonna know you tackled her ass.

Not saying he shouldn't have tackled her, he couldn't have predicted shit would impale her.

Looks like she stabs herself deliberatly while going down in that vid.
ZenMaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 02:36 PM   #22
jaydacris
Rose

jaydacris is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablejaydacris is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablejaydacris is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablejaydacris is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablejaydacris is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablejaydacris is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablejaydacris is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablejaydacris is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablejaydacris is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablejaydacris is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablejaydacris is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

kinda off topic

but anyone seen the 'deputy kyle dinkheller shooting' video?
rookie cop stops a crazy vietnam veteran, eventually comes down to a firefight.
22 year old rookie cop gets essentially executed. gets his arms and legs shot, then shot in the head

the video is quite sad and hard to watch (the screaming before he dies)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l972AfM7M_k

i believe this video is used in a lot of police training acadamies.
obviously this officer should have started shooting that psycho way earlier, but his lack of training and experience showed. a trained veteran with all kinds of firearms vs a rookie cop certainly is not gonna end well for the rookie cop.

and no i am not saying that this situation is remotely close to OP's firing squad video. but im sure a lot of cops would now rather shoot than leave any chance of anything crazy happening where there life or others are in harm
jaydacris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 02:41 PM   #23
Smoke117
Barstool Blues

Smoke117 has an incredible reputation hereSmoke117 has an incredible reputation hereSmoke117 has an incredible reputation hereSmoke117 has an incredible reputation hereSmoke117 has an incredible reputation hereSmoke117 has an incredible reputation here

Quote:
Originally Posted by kentatm
no shit

hell, a damn maglight should have been enough to knock the knife out of his hand.

and if they are going to shoot, shoot him once in the leg or foot.

why the hell do all of them need to unload unless their only goal is to kill the guy to avoid the paperwork and potential headache of dealing with a person suing the city for police brutality?

Police are not trained to shoot to wound, but trained to shoot to kill. Once their weapon is unholstered they aim for the chest purely out of safety. I don't know the specifics of this story and don't really care. Another dead beat gone from the world doesn't really bring tears to my eyes but in general if a perp is running at an officer with a knife even if he's still say 30 feet away and the officer has time time to shoot to wound they will still take the shot to the chest because that is what they are trained to do. If you want to make a case that said officer was hasty in resorting to his firearm that is another matter, but the whole shooting to wound argument is just nonsense. An police officer will always shoot to kill once he has resorted to deadly force.

Last edited by Smoke117 : 08-17-2012 at 02:44 PM.
Smoke117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 03:03 PM   #24
rezznor
Nosetradamus

rezznor is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerezznor is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerezznor is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerezznor is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerezznor is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerezznor is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerezznor is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerezznor is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerezznor is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerezznor is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerezznor is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by no pun intended
http://ac360.blogs.cnn.com/2012/08/1...es/?hpt=ac_bn5

First the one in NYC, now another in Michigan.

Where's the damn taser?
when did paula abdul become a news anchor?
rezznor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 03:35 PM   #25
Dragonyeuw
Local High School Star

Dragonyeuw is considered somewhat coolDragonyeuw is considered somewhat coolDragonyeuw is considered somewhat cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmulls
I always get annoyed when I read stuff like this. Real life isn't like Hollywood.

If you are going to shoot, you are taught to shoot to kill. Hitting a moving target in the leg in the highest pressure situation of your life is insanely difficult, not to mention the fact that if you mess up it could mean your or another officer/soldier's life.

Once the guy was dropped after the first several shots, was there a particular reason to continue shooting the guy? As a threat, surely he had been neutralized. I thought the idea was to assess the situation and weigh the level of threat. So you mean to say that 6 officers with guns were in a compromised position because of one guy with a knife? And their 'solution' was to shoot him full of holes, even after they had already dropped him with the first few shots?

You'll have to excuse me. I come from a country where guns are outlawed and this kind of thing has never happened. So it just seems excessive to me, but whatever.....I'm a little uncomfortable with the idea of police having the arbitrary discretion to 'shoot to kill' and call it 'self-defense', as if their judgement for deciding to take a life is infallible.

Last edited by Dragonyeuw : 08-17-2012 at 03:43 PM.
Dragonyeuw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 03:42 PM   #26
oh the horror
7-time NBA All-Star

oh the horror is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteroh the horror is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteroh the horror is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteroh the horror is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteroh the horror is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteroh the horror is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteroh the horror is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteroh the horror is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteroh the horror is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteroh the horror is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteroh the horror is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmulls
I always get annoyed when I read stuff like this. Real life isn't like Hollywood.

If you are going to shoot, you are taught to shoot to kill. Hitting a moving target in the leg in the highest pressure situation of your life is insanely difficult, not to mention the fact that if you mess up it could mean your or another officer/soldier's life.

So, at what point were they in immediate danger? As he was walking away from them, or when he was pacing?

This was an execution firing squad. Plain and simple. Excessive force for the situation.
oh the horror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 03:59 PM   #27
jbot
Future D1 Dad

jbot is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjbot is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjbot is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjbot is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjbot is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjbot is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjbot is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjbot is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjbot is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

the cops were itching to kill him. i wonder how long each one had been on the force.
jbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 04:05 PM   #28
Scholar
Gawdbe GOATsol Nashty

Scholar is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableScholar is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableScholar is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableScholar is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableScholar is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableScholar is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableScholar is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableScholar is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableScholar is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableScholar is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableScholar is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by no pun intended
http://ac360.blogs.cnn.com/2012/08/1...es/?hpt=ac_bn5

First the one in NYC, now another in Michigan.

Where's the damn taser?

Chronologically speaking, the Michigan shooting occurred first. It's only now that the media is actually shedding light on the situation.

I still think most cops should be expected to only pack rubber bullets.
Scholar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 04:15 PM   #29
DonDadda59
Lord High Executioner

DonDadda59 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDonDadda59 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDonDadda59 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDonDadda59 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDonDadda59 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDonDadda59 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDonDadda59 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDonDadda59 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDonDadda59 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDonDadda59 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDonDadda59 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

I think police forces across the country need to figure out a way to institute some sort of test that guages potential officers' ability to handle stressful situations and their temperament. Seems to me a lot of these excessive force shooting happen because the officers panic. Usually one fires the first shot, then the others follow suit and empty their clips without even thinking about it. There is no reason why a group of cops should fire 30-40 times on one suspect, yet this is just one of many cases where it happened.

If you can't handle stress/traumatic situations or you are naturally panicky, you shouldn't be allowed to carry a gun. Then again, that would probably only leave sociopaths on police forces nationwide... that could present some bigger issues.
DonDadda59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 04:26 PM   #30
jbot
Future D1 Dad

jbot is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjbot is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjbot is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjbot is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjbot is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjbot is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjbot is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjbot is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjbot is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaydacris
kinda off topic

but anyone seen the 'deputy kyle dinkheller shooting' video?
rookie cop stops a crazy vietnam veteran, eventually comes down to a firefight.
22 year old rookie cop gets essentially executed. gets his arms and legs shot, then shot in the head

the video is quite sad and hard to watch (the screaming before he dies)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l972AfM7M_k

i believe this video is used in a lot of police training acadamies.
obviously this officer should have started shooting that psycho way earlier, but his lack of training and experience showed. a trained veteran with all kinds of firearms vs a rookie cop certainly is not gonna end well for the rookie cop.

and no i am not saying that this situation is remotely close to OP's firing squad video. but im sure a lot of cops would now rather shoot than leave any chance of anything crazy happening where there life or others are in harm
yeah, that video gets creepy when he starts screaming for his life. he should have started shooting the guy when he saw him loading his weapon.
jbot is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: