Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Old 08-18-2012, 02:56 AM   #16
StarJordan
Irrational Jordan superfan

StarJordan is considered somewhat coolStarJordan is considered somewhat cool
Default Re: MJ's Hall of Fame speech

When has MJ not been cocky. Was he not cocky when he crossed bird over in '86....he didn't have to dribble between the legs just wanted to make a point
StarJordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 04:39 AM   #17
Cali Syndicate
Good college starter

Cali Syndicate has a terrific reputationCali Syndicate has a terrific reputationCali Syndicate has a terrific reputationCali Syndicate has a terrific reputationCali Syndicate has a terrific reputationCali Syndicate has a terrific reputation

I didn't get to watch it til a few days after and honestly I really didn't get what all the hooplah about his speech was about. Wasn't the greatest of speeches, but seemed honest enough which is really all we can ask for right?
Cali Syndicate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 11:39 AM   #18
MastahX
I eat dead people

MastahX has decent reputation

That's why he's the best ever. Not only was he very skilled at the game, the guy had a fire in his belly to win at everything he tried.

Kobe/Lebron has the skills, but not the fire MJ had. That is why Jordan STILL is the all time GOAT.
MastahX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 12:06 PM   #19
Glide2keva
NBA sixth man of the year

Glide2keva has an incredible reputation hereGlide2keva has an incredible reputation hereGlide2keva has an incredible reputation hereGlide2keva has an incredible reputation hereGlide2keva has an incredible reputation hereGlide2keva has an incredible reputation hereGlide2keva has an incredible reputation here

People tripping on Jordan's speech need to STFU. It was a great speech IMO. He showed exactly who he was.

If you think MJ's speech was brutal and he was a jerk and all of that, what will you say when Kobe gives his? He is of the same mentality.
Glide2keva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 12:39 PM   #20
Da_Realist
College superstar

Da_Realist has an incredible reputation hereDa_Realist has an incredible reputation hereDa_Realist has an incredible reputation hereDa_Realist has an incredible reputation hereDa_Realist has an incredible reputation hereDa_Realist has an incredible reputation hereDa_Realist has an incredible reputation here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glide2keva
People tripping on Jordan's speech need to STFU. It was a great speech IMO. He showed exactly who he was.

If you think MJ's speech was brutal and he was a jerk and all of that, what will you say when Kobe gives his? He is of the same mentality.

Kobe will be smart enough not to make the same mistake, even if he does feel the same way.
Da_Realist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 12:41 PM   #21
JellyBean
College superstar

JellyBean has an incredible reputation hereJellyBean has an incredible reputation hereJellyBean has an incredible reputation hereJellyBean has an incredible reputation hereJellyBean has an incredible reputation hereJellyBean has an incredible reputation here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glide2keva

I know! I can't wait until Kobe does his HOF speech. That should be another great speech.
JellyBean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 12:47 PM   #22
SpecialQue
NBA Superstar

SpecialQue is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSpecialQue is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSpecialQue is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSpecialQue is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSpecialQue is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSpecialQue is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSpecialQue is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSpecialQue is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSpecialQue is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSpecialQue is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSpecialQue is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by MastahX
That's why he's the best ever. Not only was he very skilled at the game, the guy had a fire in his belly to win at everything he tried.

Kobe/Lebron has the skills, but not the fire MJ had.
That is why Jordan STILL is the all time GOAT.

I'm calling bullshit right there. Kobe has the fire, but sometimes his skills fail him.
SpecialQue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 02:19 PM   #23
KingLeBronJames
LeBron GOAT

KingLeBronJames has decent reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by MastahX

Kobe/Lebron has the skills, but not the fire MJ had. That is why Jordan STILL is the all time GOAT.
What? LOL Kobe didn't have the fire?
KingLeBronJames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 02:26 PM   #24
scandisk_
Banned (lol)

scandisk_ is considered somewhat coolscandisk_ is considered somewhat cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Da_Realist
Kobe will be smart enough not to make the same mistake, even if he does feel the same way.

We'll see

It won't prolly be as bitter-sounding as MJ's but I do think that he'll poke some subtle insults about the league and it's current players, etc
scandisk_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 05:03 PM   #25
StarJordan
Irrational Jordan superfan

StarJordan is considered somewhat coolStarJordan is considered somewhat cool

Quote:
I'm calling bullshit right there. Kobe has the fire, but sometimes his skills fail him.

I'm sure he has the fire to want to hold the ball from his palm and fake the defender out, but doesn't have that hands to do that.

Jordan's speech was what it was. People expected it to be like obama speech, historic etc.....or lou gehrig's in baseball.....but mj in public has never been big on speeches....even during bulls championship rallies..
StarJordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 05:11 PM   #26
Smoke117
Barstool Blues

Smoke117 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSmoke117 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSmoke117 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSmoke117 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSmoke117 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSmoke117 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSmoke117 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSmoke117 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Once a prick, always a prick. There isn't much more to say about his speech. The only one I remember him having anything good to say about was Scottie.
Smoke117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 05:55 AM   #27
hon hon hon eat snails

9512 has decent reputation9512 has decent reputation

His legacy is forever solidified. he can say whatever because that speech alone won't stop his fans from buying Jordan shoes.

Earlier in his career, I remember him ( as we all do) when MJ refused to comment on certain controversial issues because "republicans buy sneakers too."
9512 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 06:02 AM   #28
RoundMoundOfReb
Top 1 NBA/NFL Mind

RoundMoundOfReb is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRoundMoundOfReb is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRoundMoundOfReb is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRoundMoundOfReb is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRoundMoundOfReb is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRoundMoundOfReb is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRoundMoundOfReb is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRoundMoundOfReb is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRoundMoundOfReb is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRoundMoundOfReb is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Agreed. It's fcukin' hilarious.
RoundMoundOfReb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 10:02 PM   #29
TheBigVeto
Negging Me Is Gay

TheBigVeto has a bad reputationTheBigVeto has a bad reputationTheBigVeto has a bad reputationTheBigVeto has a bad reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by JellyBean
I know! I can't wait until Kobe does his HOF speech. That should be another great speech.

It will just be a carbon copy of Jordan's.
TheBigVeto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 12:30 AM   #30
gigantes
A piece of fluff

gigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by jstern
I donít think it was that great. It started off good, but then he started focusing too much on trying to show his competitive nature. I mean in one level itís great to see, but not on a Hall of Fame speech. I believe he said that he didnít write much, just wanted to speak from the heart, and that could really back fired because unless youíre in the correct mindset, you will not express yourself as effective as you might want.

For example he told his kids basically that they have a lot of pressure on them, since many will assume that just because theyíre Michael Jordanís kids, that unless they achieve a similar level of success people are going to think theyíre failures, and thatís unfair. But not really being in the proper mindset, to many it sounds as if heís telling them in a competitive way that heís better than them.
agree... it started out moving, and sensors even detected an early tear in my eye, but the old jordan ego firmly took over by the middle period. what was most disappointing is that he had a truly once-in-a-lifetime type of opportunity to blow people's minds and forward the credit for his personal accomplishments towards his peers in the audience in a way that would have left every basketball fan and sports fan hushed, awed and ultimately delirious about the sport for years to come. indeed, you could almost sense this as a possibility coming in the early part of the speech before he reverted back to form by the middle.

what a shame, and what an unfortunate egomaniac jordan remains to this day. not that such is rare or unexpected, but every once in a while we're reminded about something bigger than sports that the occasional athlete is able to glimpse and share. a shaft of insight about sports as a paradigm and not as a mere goal in itself. but jordan keeps failing to get this no matter all the years that pass.

i wonder if he'll ever do justice to his old HS coach; the one that supposedly 'cut' him:
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/201...dan/index.html
gigantes is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: