Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Old 02-05-2013, 12:05 PM   #1
fpliii
3-time NBA All-Star

Default '99 Spurs...how much credit do you give Robinson for that run?

I have a few players in mind for this series of threads...the first up is The Admiral (99 Spurs edition).

What do you think?

EDIT: just noticed the typo...mods: can you please fix the title for me?

Last edited by fpliii : 02-05-2013 at 01:09 PM.
fpliii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 02:18 PM   #2
jstern
College star

Default Re: '99 Spurs...how much credit do you give Robinson for that run?

Quote:
Originally Posted by fpliii
I have a few players in mind for this series of threads...the first up is The Admiral (99 Spurs edition).

What do you think?

EDIT: just noticed the typo...mods: can you please fix the title for me?
You can fix the title yourself. Just go to edit and then advanced.
jstern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 02:18 PM   #3
Whoah10115
Linja Status

Default Re: '99 Spurs...how much credit do you give Robinsonfor that run?

Robinson was still an elite player. He was the best defender on that team until 2001 (I shouldn't have said he was the best back in 2003, that wasn't right).

He could have been better than he was, but he consciously took a step back. He was still the better player the year before (despite MVP voting, which I can't begin to understand). Robinson was still great. They have no chance of getting far without David Robinson.
Whoah10115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 02:20 PM   #4
Da KO King
NBA sixth man of the year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whoah10115
Robinson was still an elite player. He was the best defender on that team until 2001 (I shouldn't have said he was the best back in 2003, that wasn't right).

He could have been better than he was, but he consciously took a step back. He was still the better player the year before (despite MVP voting, which I can't begin to understand). Robinson was still great. They have no chance of getting far without David Robinson.
Better much sums up everything that needs to be said.
Da KO King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 02:27 PM   #5
fpliii
3-time NBA All-Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by jstern
You can fix the title yourself. Just go to edit and then advanced.

I waited too long before noticing, so it locked up. I think you have to edit within 5 minutes (the text above my post is corrected, but the title still has the typo).

Quote:

Great points, the bolded portion is why I started this thread. I'm looking forward to that discussion.
Old 02-05-2013, 02:41 PM   #6
ZeN
RichardRiderLives

OP how are young are you?

D. Rob was a major factor in them winning. He was still playing at an elite level. The benefit was that with Duncan he finally had a legit second star big to carry the main load.
ZeN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 02:43 PM   #7
SCdac
Very good NBA starter

Robinson was integral, as Duncan was just a sophomore and not quite MVP yet. Robinson is one of the best defenders of all time, even at an older age.

In sweeping Rasheed Wallace' Blazers in the WCF, Robinson averaged 39 mpg, 17.5 ppg, 9 rpg, 3 apg, 3 bpg, and 2 spg.

Having said that, Robinson was never as explosive after lower back surgery. But still an elite defender and shot blocker.

That championship run and 2003 certainly solidified his place in the HOF and as an all-time center. And I think he's underrated on this board, evidenced by the conditioned response to bring up Hakeem vs. Robinson (ie. that's all people tend to remember).

SCdac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 03:23 PM   #8
fpliii
3-time NBA All-Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeN
OP how are young are you?

D. Rob was a major factor in them winning. He was still playing at an elite level. The benefit was that with Duncan he finally had a legit second star big to carry the main load.

People are fairly split as to who anchored their defense though. I personally go with Robinson, but from a few of the threads/conversations here, a good deal of posters seem to feel Duncan was their best offensive player/defensive player/rebounder.
Old 02-05-2013, 03:43 PM   #9
ShaqAttack3234
7-time NBA All-Star

In terms of impact, I think Robinson was still a borderline top 10 player that year. Still one of the top 5 defensive players in the game, good rebounder and a solid offensive player. Wasn't the explosive athlete he was before the injury, but he was still one of the more mobile 7 footers in the league. Would give you solid scoring in a variety of ways within the flow of the offense whether it was hitting a couple of jumpers, the occasional drive, a few post ups, or put backs/easy baskets around the rim. His passing also helped the team quite a bit, he'd find cutters, and he worked very well in both roles in high/low plays with Duncan. He also defended Shaq most of the WCSF and did an excellent job which was a big reason why the Spurs won so decisively. Led them in scoring during the WCF vs Portland, and his size(along with Duncan's of course) was what overwhelmed the Knicks.
ShaqAttack3234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 03:57 PM   #10
Burgz V2
Good college starter

People forget that Robinson was one of the most physically imposing players in the history of the NBA. Probably the fastest 7 footer end to end, and lateral quickness to match. He was DEFINITELY still an elite player in '99 and was the defensive anchor of that Spurs team. They beat 3 straight teams with young, elite big men (KG, Shaq, Rasheed) EASILY, only lost one game to all three COMBINED! Those guys were never gonna find a way to stop Duncan on D, but then go back and be guarded by the Admiral with Timmy coming from the help side. If Phil Jackson hadn't gone to LA they probably could have won another one.
Burgz V2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 04:55 PM   #11
ThaRegul8r
National High School Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCdac
Robinson was integral, as Duncan was just a sophomore and not quite MVP yet.

Duncan should've been '99 MVP, not Malone. (Malone didn't deserve either one of his MVPs. The first should've gone to Duncan and the second should've gone to Jordan. It was a career achievement award, as they knew he wouldn't win anything else.)
ThaRegul8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 05:01 PM   #12
ShaqAttack3234
7-time NBA All-Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThaRegul8r
Duncan should've been '99 MVP, not Malone. (Malone didn't deserve either one of his MVPs. The first should've gone to Duncan and the second should've gone to Jordan. It was a career achievement award, as they knew he wouldn't win anything else.)

Combined with Malone campaigning for the award. And even that wouldn't have done any good had Jordan's Bulls not set a new record with 72 wins the previous season. That's something I hate about MVP voting. They often factor in what happened in a previous season. If that '96 season never happens, Jordan leading his Bulls to a record-tying 69 wins(5 more than Malone's Jazz) while widely being regarded as the game's best player would have made him a lock for MVP.
ShaqAttack3234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 05:55 PM   #13
Whoah10115
Linja Status

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThaRegul8r

I'm trying to understand why people are so sure that Duncan was robbed in 99. I've gone back and forth between the two of them and Alonzo. It was a relatively unimpressive year. Stockton wasn't as good as Robinson, and the two teams had the same record. That's not the end of the conversation, but I think it reflects their impact. Malone's rebounding was down but still at 9.4, 4.1APG and was the best offensive PF in the NBA. Duncan was the better rebounder and the better defender, but Malone was playing great defense at that point in his career. Should have been on the 2nd All-Defensive Team, but was playing great defense, nonetheless. I find it strange that people campaign for Duncan so hard, as he hardly stood out.

And while I agree that Jordan should have won it in 97, I do think Malone should have won it in 98. Malone with 2 MVP's is hardly a travesty.
Whoah10115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 06:07 PM   #14
Big#50
College star

Quote:

He was not an elite player after coming back from his injury. Duncan made him that much better. Specially in the playoffs. Robinson wasn't as mobile as before. What are you talking about? He was not the best defender on the Spurs. He could guard the slower bigs in the league because of his upper body strength. That was about it. 99 was his last year where he was effective. But no way was he the player that you're saying. I agree about the Spurs not winning anything with no Admiral.
Big#50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 06:10 PM   #15
Big#50
College star

Quote:
I'm trying to understand why people are so sure that Duncan was robbed in 99. I've gone back and forth between the two of them and Alonzo. It was a relatively unimpressive year. Stockton wasn't as good as Robinson, and the two teams had the same record. That's not the end of the conversation, but I think it reflects their impact. Malone's rebounding was down but still at 9.4, 4.1APG and was the best offensive PF in the NBA. Duncan was the better rebounder and the better defender, but Malone was playing great defense at that point in his career. Should have been on the 2nd All-Defensive Team, but was playing great defense, nonetheless. I find it strange that people campaign for Duncan so hard, as he hardly stood out.

And while I agree that Jordan should have won it in 97, I do think Malone should have won it in 98. Malone with 2 MVP's is hardly a travesty.
Malone's defense was body someone up and slap down at the ball as hard as he could. **** Karl Malone. The NBA was just trying their best to market him.
Big#50 is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: