Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 08-19-2012, 08:32 PM   #1
embersyc
Lurker

Default Todd Akin: “Legitimate rape” stops pregnancy

I'm not normally one to discuss politics on here, but please tell me you don't want to vote for a party with backwards ****s like this guy:

http://www.salon.com/2012/08/19/todd...ops_pregnancy/

Quote:
“First of all, from what I understand from doctors [pregnancy from rape] is really rare,” Missouri Senate hopeful Todd Akin said in an interview Sunday, explaining why his ideal abortion ban wouldn’t include an exception for rape. “If it’s a legitimate rape, the female body has ways to try to shut that whole thing down,” he added.

embersyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 08:39 PM   #2
RaininThrees
Meats Don't Clash

Default Re: Todd Akin: “Legitimate rape” stops pregnancy

Quote:
Originally Posted by embersyc
I'm not normally one to discuss politics on here, but please tell me you don't want to vote for a party with backwards ****s like this guy:

http://www.salon.com/2012/08/19/todd...ops_pregnancy/

*I* lost brain cells reading this.

That this is an actual quote from a person in a position of relative power is terrifying.

Outside of the complete and utter retardedness around the pregnancy issue, the idea of "legitimate rape" is mind boggling. By qualifying rape as "legitimate" this person obviously thinks there are lesser forms of acceptable rape. Just.... gah.

Last edited by RaininThrees : 08-19-2012 at 08:41 PM.
RaininThrees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 08:55 PM   #3
Real Men Wear Green
Your ad here

Sometimes I'm not so sue about the value of Democracy. Because when someone like this can be elected, something is wrong. You want to argue that lower taxes for the rich is good for the economy? Fine, maybe you're right, there's probably some kind of balance out there that needs to be reached to optimize economic growth. But Republicans like this guy should not be basing their science on politics, that's irresponsible.
Real Men Wear Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 08:59 PM   #4
BoogieWoogieMan
BTE Prophet

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=35TbGjt-weA
BoogieWoogieMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 09:00 PM   #5
JaggerCommaMick
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaininThrees
Outside of the complete and utter retardedness around the pregnancy issue, the idea of "legitimate rape" is mind boggling. By qualifying rape as "legitimate" this person obviously thinks there are lesser forms of acceptable rape. Just.... gah.

He means if the rape isn't a concocted story by a woman trying to circumvent the abortion ban.

Were you partially aborted yourself, mate?
JaggerCommaMick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 09:07 PM   #6
JaggerCommaMick
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Real Men Wear Green
Sometimes I'm not so sue about the value of Democracy. Because when someone like this can be elected, something is wrong. You want to argue that lower taxes for the rich is good for the economy? Fine, maybe you're right, there's probably some kind of balance out there that needs to be reached to optimize economic growth. But Republicans like this guy should not be basing their science on politics, that's irresponsible.

It's a two way street, mate.

Is religion screwy? There's certainly arguments to be made. However, religion tends to tie in with social values and standards.

Are two parent households screwy? They produce more graduates and less criminals. They also are more likely to be religious to some degree than single parent households. Religious folks are far more likely to take care of their kids (with exceptions both ways, obviously).

This is what I don't understand, mate. You don't like religion, that's fine. But these left wing crackpots out there, like yourself, want to tolerate all behaviors that are bad for society, all counterproductive social practices, all apathy and indifference from people when it comes to civic responsibility, all in the name of showing how much they hate religion.

You can expect things of people and it don't mean you're a evangelical. You don't have tolerate everything, mate. I know you think you do, because you're wired to be a sensitive fa ggot, but the truth is you can have standards about behavior even as a secular person. This is what democrats cant seem to come to terms with.
Old 08-20-2012, 12:33 AM   #7
Hotlantadude81
NBA rookie of the year

Canada has no official religion and they seem to be fine.

I'm sure a lot of people call themselves Christian. But the bible is mostly something people claim to give a shit about.

Last edited by Hotlantadude81 : 08-20-2012 at 12:38 AM.
Hotlantadude81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 12:45 AM   #8
Bladers
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaininThrees

That this is an actual quote from a person in a position of relative power is terrifying.

Bladers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 01:24 AM   #9
macmac
Gov'n

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bladers

Don't worry, you'll never be faced with having to understand the moral repercussions of rape because you can't even last long enough to put it in
macmac is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 01:31 AM   #10
JaggerCommaMick
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hotlantadude81

I'm sure a lot of people call themselves Christian. But the bible is mostly something people claim to give a shit about.

Well, mate, Canada is small (in population) and white. Those countries tend to do the best the world over.
Old 08-20-2012, 02:26 AM   #11
ballup
DO THE THING!!!!

Quote:
“If it’s a legitimate rape, the female body has ways to try to shut that whole thing down,” he added.
I'd like to hear how he thinks that mechanism works.
ballup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 02:51 AM   #12
ace23

What is he talking about? Ways to shut what down? What?
ace23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 03:26 AM   #13
creepingdeath
How does my Dirk taste

Quote:
Originally Posted by macmac
Don't worry, you'll never be faced with having to understand the moral repercussions of rape because you can't even last long enough to put it in
/ether
creepingdeath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 05:20 AM   #14
Lakers Legend#32
Decent college freshman

Another ball and chain around Romney's ankle. I love it!
Lakers Legend#32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 06:14 AM   #15
JtotheIzzo
Admlnlstrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hotlantadude81

Yeah, but Canada is an overwhelmingly Christian country, a very Catholic country and a tolerant one as many of the early immigrants were Catholics from the UK who were escaping persecution and bigotry directed towards them from the Church of England which left Catholic guidance in the 1500s when reformations swept across Europe. The majority of French speaking Canadians also have Catholic roots. Much like in Glasgow and in Belfast, there used to be a lot of political antagonism between Protestants and Catholics.

In the Canadian Charter of Freedom and Rights (similar to the constitution in the US) there is protection of religious pluralism. This is really the key to taking religion out of the political sphere, by making all equal and not marginalizing or promoting one religion or the other, religion becomes a moot point in political discourse.
JtotheIzzo is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: