Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 08-20-2012, 02:26 PM   #31
LJJ
Extra Cheese

Default Re: Todd Akin: “Legitimate rape” stops pregnancy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ballup
I don't know about other posters, but to me, this has nothing to do with affiliations with religion or parties. This guy just very naive

I think you are the one being naive.

No one would ever out of volition state something as fundamentally evil and sociopathic as: "rape victims should not have access to morning after pills" if not for immoral religious scruples.
LJJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 03:08 PM   #32
kentatm
NBA Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by ballup
I don't know about other posters, but to me, this has nothing to do with affiliations with religion or parties.

from the left leaning think progress

Quote:
Rep. Todd Akin’s (R-MO) spiritual mentor Reverend D. James Kennedy harbored extreme and sometimes flatly misogynistic views about rape and abortion, according to a ThinkProgress review of Kennedy’s sermons on the topic. The Senate candidate, who set off a massive controversy by claiming this weekend that victims of “legitimate rape” don’t get pregnant, has deep ties to Reverend Kennedy, having cited some of his sermons as key intellectual influences and having been named in Kennedy’s book How Would Jesus Vote? as one of the Reverend’s “favorite statesman.”

Kennedy, who the Anti-Defamation League has termed a “Christian supremacist,” repeatedly railed against legalized abortion, calling it the “American Holocaust” and suggesting that it would lead inevitably to genocide in the United States. But Kennedy’s discussions of rape and abortion in particular betray extraordinarily disturbing views about rape victims:

1. Kennedy believed that rape victims who chose abortion are “hysterical.” In “Abortion: Myths and Realities,” Kennedy labels victims of rape who chose unsafe abortions when safer procedures are illegal “hysterical,” saying “We are told by some of the radical feminists that the women will become hysterical, that they will abort themselves with coat hanger.” Abortion rates are, in fact, higher in nations where the procedure is criminalized, and men describing women whose choices they disapprove of as “hysterical” has a storied sexist history.

2. Kennedy suggests rape victims can be responsible for being raped. In “Life: An Inalienable Right,” Kennedy expresses concern that rape victims who chose to get an abortion are occasionally responsible for their own rape, saying that “Even if they want to say the woman had some part in it—which in most cases they probably don’t—surely the baby did nothing wrong, so the only innocent party is killed and the rapist often goes free.” He doesn’t elaborate on how this might be true, but another Kennedy sermon says “the immodest woman is contributing to the lust of other people” by wearing revealing clothing.

3. Kennedy held that the Bible should set our laws about rape and abortion. Kennedy is very explicit on this point, saying “In the Bible, the child of rape was allowed to live and the rapist was put to death. Today, we find that the penalties against rape have become more and more lenient, whereas the child is now the subject of capital punishment. Justice has been totally destroyed and perverted in that the guilty are practically allowed to go free and the innocent are killed.” This fits with Kennedy’s general view that we should “rebuild America based on the Bible.”

4. Kennedy thought husbands should determine if their wives can have abortions. Though not specifically addressing rape, Kennedy approvingly cited a Roman prohibition on abortion motivated by the husbands should have control over women’s reproductive choice, saying “That newly created life is as much the husband’s as it is the wife’s. Historically, it is interesting to note that when the Roman Empire did away with laws that allowed abortion, it was done not because of the woman or the harm that abortions were doing to women (and indeed they do vastly more harm than most people are aware of), but because the husband was being defrauded of his progeny.” Interestingly, Akin has worried that criminalizing marital rape provides women “a legal weapon to beat up on the husband.”

Given that Akin’s rhetoric and policy views bear clear marks of Kennedy’s influence, it’s perhaps no surprise that Akin co-sponsored (with Paul Ryan) a bill that could, by limiting federal funding of abortion to cases of “forcible rape,” make rape survivors give birth to their rapist’s child.

link

Last edited by kentatm : 08-20-2012 at 03:11 PM.
kentatm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 03:21 PM   #33
JaggerCommaMick
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by kentatm
Not only is there a major problem with his twisted notion that the female body can somehow shut down a pregnancy if she is getting raped, he flat out said that even if THAT somehow fails to stop the pregnancy, the woman should still be forced to carry the rape baby to term.

he would basically give a serial rapist the ok to make as many rape babies as he wanted.

Mate, I support abortion rights. I wish more people would abort children they weren't prepared to take care of. I actually would support forced sterilization of people who have not demonstrated fitness to have children, yet continue to do so repeatedly.

But if you are right-to-life based on the notion that killing a fetus is wrong, rape aint gonna make a difference in your perspective, mate. The fetus aint have anything to do with the rape. Why would someone who opposes killing a fetus say 'well, if the fetus was created from a rape, I'm ok with killing it!" In their view it's basically a second wrong, added onto the first one. Two wrongs don't make a right to most people, mate.

What does Paul Ryan have to do with anything? Because he doesn't want the federal government to collect tax revenue from individuals to redistribute to those who irresponsibly get pregnant and then wish to abort their fetus? Snuffing out your own mistake is fine, mate, but don't ask mommy government to take from other people to cover your arse. What is with you? You seem like you're too stupid to find a balance in anything, mate. Everything with you is far far far left, far far far left, all the time, all the time, repeat the party line like a dummy little mindless ugly sheep that you are. Ugly, stupid, incorrigible, insecure, follower, feminine fa ggot. That's you, kentatm, in a nutshell.

You are one of the extremists that stall this country in political gridlock. Democratic politicians cater to your mindless black-and-white extremism every bit this 'legitimate rape' guy is doing for his Missouri constinuents. You ARE one of the dummies mate. One of the base, easily riled up and believe what you're told. I don't quite rightly understand what makes you feel smarter and more superior just because you happen to religiously dedicate yourself to the far left than the far right.

fa ggot.
JaggerCommaMick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 03:28 PM   #34
kentatm
NBA Legend

Ryan figures into b/c they wrote a personhood bill together.

This guy's comments are going to get linked to the Romney/Ryan campaign by liberal super pacs and Obama surrogates.

Romney is already trying to distance himself from this guy.

Obama allies were already going to use the idea that Republicans are out of touch with women's issues as a line of attack in this election.

This is going to add to their ammunition for such attacks. It doesn't matter that this guy doesn't have anything to really do with the R/R campaign. In politics the rule is you use everything there is to use and this idiot just provided a big ole fat slab of fillet mignon for the political ops to devour.

Last edited by kentatm : 08-20-2012 at 03:38 PM.
kentatm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 03:46 PM   #35
RaininThrees
Meats Don't Clash

Quote:
What does Paul Ryan have to do with anything?

Uh,

Quote:
Last year, Ryan joined Akin as one of 227 co-sponsors of a bill that narrowed an exemption to the Hyde Amendment, which prohibits federal funding for abortions. The Hyde Amendment allows federal dollars to be used for abortions in cases of rape and incest, but the proposed bill -- authored by New Jersey Representative Christopher H. Smith -- would have limited the incest exemption to minors and covered only victims of “forcible rape.”

House Republicans never defined what constituted “forcible rape” and what did not, but critics of the bill suggested the term could exclude women who are drugged and raped, mentally handicapped women who are coerced, and victims of statutory rape.

So, just as Mr. Akin proclaimed that women could be "legitimately" raped, Mr. Akin and Mr. Ryan developed a bill which included the term "forcible rape".

Again, as if there were different types of rape - legitimate and not legitimate... forcible or not forcible.

While Ryan didn't have anything to do with these particular comments, he has been affiliated with Akin in the past, and has stood by and supported the same sort of language in qualifying "degrees" of rape.

All Akin has done is dragged this (likely forgotten) ugly piece of Ryan's past to the forefront.
RaininThrees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 03:48 PM   #36
JaggerCommaMick
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by kentatm

Ryan figures into b/c they wrote a personhood bill together.

This guy's comments are going to get linked to the Romney/Ryan campaign by liberal super pacs and Obama surrogates.

Romney is already trying to distance himself from this guy.

Obama allies were already going to use the idea that Republicans are out of touch with women's issues as a line of attack in this election.

This is going to add to their ammunition for such attacks. It doesn't matter that this guy doesn't have anything to really do with the R/R campaign. In politics the rule is you use everything there is to use and this idiot just provided a big ole fat slab of fillet mignon for the political ops to devour.

Well mate, I applaud Mitt Romney for selecting someone whose primary message is about the fiscal cliff your nation is speeding toward and the fact that difficult, unappealing decisions must be made in order to resolve it. Sometimes these ancillary things don't hurt so much as you think. For instance, Obama's longtime pastor and mentor, Jeremiah Wright, had a well documented 'god damn america, 9/11 is what it deserves!' flap, it didn't seem to hurt his election campaign. He then appointed a member of the Supreme Court who immediately made a racist and sexist declaration that being a hispanic woman made her more qualified for the bench than a white man. I don't see people bringing that up in this campaign. President Obama disparaged the mentally disabled by comparing (on national television) his fruitless attempts at bowling to an event at the special olympics. Where are the people like you jumping on this kind of insensitivity and lack of judgement?

Funny, I bet you didn't say a WORD about any of that stuff, mate! Yet here you are, salivating over someone with an (R) by their name doing the exact same thing. This is why the political machine don't change, mate. Because dummies like you are mindlessly programmed to think "I must accept it when (D) does it, I must exploit it when (R) does it." You're a foot soldier, mate, and you are that way because you're stupid. You delight in the partisan game. Politicians send you off to political combat, and you strap on your talking points (along with your other strap on devices) and go out to do battle! YOU are the prole, and bickering with Republican proles is your role. It's your role, prole, because you're a retard! A feminine, fa ggot retard.

Ultimately, this chap from Missouri is trying to institute a ban on abortion. It's pretty insignificant, because abortion will never, ever be federally prohibited again. It aint gonna matter what some backwoods state reps say to get elected. The fact you're excited about this and immediately going on the republican/religion/and even romney/ryan attack shows where your priorities are. Dummy foot soldier. You don't have a brain. You aint got intelligence worthy of any respect, mate. You're a robot, you're told how to think. You're a bitch.
Old 08-20-2012, 03:51 PM   #37
JaggerCommaMick
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaininThrees

Again, as if there were different types of rape - legitimate and not legitimate... forcible or not forcible.

While Ryan didn't have anything to do with these particular comments, he has been affiliated with Akin in the past, and has stood by and supported the same sort of language in qualifying "degrees" of rape.

All Akin has done is dragged this (likely forgotten) ugly piece of Ryan's past to the forefront.

Are you retarded, mate??

Have you ever heard of statutory rape??? You know, like if an 18 year old high school senior is dating a 16 year old sophomore, they're having consensual sex, her parents find out and get pissed, the guy can be charged with rape. Even though physiologically they're probably at about the same stage of puberty, an arbitrary legal age can determine it to be rape? Rape that is called statutory, and has nothing to do with force

DO YOU FRICKIN THINK BEFORE YOU SPEW IDIOCY FROM YOUR KEYBAORD, MATE?!??!?!??!?!?!?!
Old 08-20-2012, 03:51 PM   #38
ballup
THIS ISN'T HAPPENING!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LJJ
I think you are the one being naive.

No one would ever out of volition state something as fundamentally evil and sociopathic as: "rape victims should not have access to morning after pills" if not for immoral religious scruples.
It's not evil to think that if they believe that life has started at that point. They don't want to kill what they see as an innocent life. They value the supposed life over the burden the mother will face.

Also, thanks for taking my quote out of context. I said he was naive for believing a legitimately raped woman can naturally reject pregnancy.
ballup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 03:53 PM   #39
JaggerCommaMick
Banned

It's just absolutely amazing how hard you little angsty 'i hate religion, i hate my parents, i hate successful people, im ugly and i hate the world and republicans' little teenage fa ggots are trying to hard to make this a partisan issue. Shows where your minds are at.

You're just trying to be recognized by your little hippie peers, taking your turn throwing a rock at the religion/right wing establishment and hoping people think you're cool.

You aint cool, mates. You're probably riddled with acne and never get puscy, and you didnt fit in with cool kids, and now you're caught up in the whole 'occupy the wall street to get back at the evil republicans because i dont know how to talk to a girl and i want to blame something for my frustration' shtick.

Pathetic.
Old 08-20-2012, 03:53 PM   #40
Punpun
Head Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by embersyc
I'm not normally one to discuss politics on here, but please tell me you don't want to vote for a party with backwards ****s like this guy:

http://www.salon.com/2012/08/19/todd...ops_pregnancy/

He should have just used the arguments Santorum used during the primaries. At least it wasn't as stupid as that.

Punpun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 03:57 PM   #41
JaggerCommaMick
Banned

RaininThrees I don't even mean to insult you, chap, but your mindless agenda is pathetic. You really should think things through before you hurry to get to the front of the crowd and throw your stone. Your lack of analysis on this issue and clear willingness to sacrifice thorough reflection for a chance to take a partisan swing is glaring. It makes you look very, very foolish. You look like kentatm, mate, and that aint a good thing.
Old 08-20-2012, 04:06 PM   #42
JaggerCommaMick
Banned

Quote:
Uh,

So, just as Mr. Akin proclaimed that women could be "legitimately" raped, Mr. Akin and Mr. Ryan developed a bill which included the term "forcible rape".

Let's see if this dude will cop to his obvious oversights.

Or is it not okay for a Republican to speak ignorant shit out his arse, but it's ok for the likes of you and other democrats? Obama, Rev. Wright, Justice Sotomayer etc.
Old 08-20-2012, 04:09 PM   #43
RaininThrees
Meats Don't Clash

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaggerCommaMick
Let's see if this dude will cop to his obvious oversights.

Or is it not okay for a Republican to speak ignorant shit out his arse, but it's ok for the likes of you and other democrats? Obama, Rev. Wright, Justice Sotomayer etc.

Who says I'm a Democrat? I'd also LOVE to know what my agenda is. God, I bet it's AWESOME. It better be, anyway. I've always wanted one.

FTR - I'm anti-stupidity, no matter the political affiliation.
RaininThrees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 04:13 PM   #44
Punpun
Head Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaggerCommaMick
Let's see if this dude will cop to his obvious oversights.c.

All I see is a Pathetic attempt at deflecting the issue. Everything a member of your party does reflects on the rest of your party. Just deal with it. It's basic politics.
Punpun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 04:16 PM   #45
JaggerCommaMick
Banned

Quote:
Who says I'm a Democrat? I'd also LOVE to know what my agenda is. God, I bet it's AWESOME. It better be, anyway. I've always wanted one.

FTR - I'm anti-stupidity, no matter the political affiliation.

So you deciding that every rape claim is automatically legitimate, and that's its ridiculous to think otherwise is you being anti-stupidity.

You declaring that 'rape' by definition always implies force is just you being 'anti stupidity'

Wow, mate. That's some stupid shit.
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: