Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 08-22-2012, 12:25 AM   #76
KevinNYC
Toronto Mayor Rob Ford

KevinNYC is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKevinNYC is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKevinNYC is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKevinNYC is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKevinNYC is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKevinNYC is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKevinNYC is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKevinNYC is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKevinNYC is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKevinNYC is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKevinNYC is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable
Default Re: Todd Akin: “Legitimate rape” stops pregnancy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarcastic
The Grand Ol Party is not backing down.

http://2012.talkingpointsmemo.com/20...utory-rape.php

Let's hope it becomes the signature issue of this election.

There's a quote out from a SD Republican that's much, much worse than Akin's quote.
KevinNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 01:32 PM   #77
kentatm
NBA Legend

kentatm is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekentatm is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekentatm is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekentatm is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekentatm is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekentatm is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekentatm is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekentatm is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekentatm is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekentatm is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekentatm is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

this is the kind of stuff I was talking about when I said Akin was going to get linked to the Romney/Ryan ticket

again, in an election where a few thousand votes in a couple swing states will probably be what it takes to win comments like Akin's can have real influence.
kentatm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 01:40 PM   #78
kentatm
NBA Legend

kentatm is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekentatm is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekentatm is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekentatm is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekentatm is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekentatm is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekentatm is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekentatm is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekentatm is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekentatm is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekentatm is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

as well as this

link

so now Romney will be once again forced to talk about issues other than the economy which is bad for his campaign.
Old 08-22-2012, 01:46 PM   #79
rufuspaul
Kubla Kemba

rufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

rufuspaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 02:36 PM   #80
FillJackson
I brick open layups

FillJackson has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by kentatm
this is the kind of stuff I was talking about when I said Akin was going to get linked to the Romney/Ryan ticket

again, in an election where a few thousand votes in a couple swing states will probably be what it takes to win comments like Akin's can have real influence.

It's going to linked much closer than that because Ryan and Akin co-sponsored a bill together.

Quote:
Representatives Ryan and Akin, in fact, have voted in lockstep on abortion matters since Akin joined Ryan in the House in 2001. Moreover, they teamed up on a controversial bill defining life as beginning at conception. Similar measures put forward at the state level have been rejected by voters and lawmakers even in GOP strongholds such as Mississippi.

Also this bill for all intents and purposes criminalizes in vitro fertilization, which at least three of Mitt Romney children have employed.

Can you imagine those debate questions?

Mr. Ryan, you sponsored a bill that define an embryo has having full Consitutional rights. Should someone like Tagg Romney who employed in vitro fertilization face criminal penalties if any of the embryos they created were destroyed?

Mr. Romney, you picked a running mate who sponsored an invasive personhood ammendment that would introduce criminal penalties for the current practices of in vitro fetilization. Would you agree with Paul Ryan that the govenment should be involved with the way your grandchildren were born?
FillJackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 12:21 AM   #81
kentatm
NBA Legend

Quote:
Mitt Romney met Todd Akin doctor Jack Willke during 2012 campaign

Mitt Romney met Jack Willke, the doctor credited with popularising Todd Akin’s controversial views on rape and abortion, during the current election campaign and told him they agreed on “almost everything,” Dr Willke said.

Dr Willke, a prominent anti-abortion campaigner, claims to be an authority on the theory espoused by Mr Akin that victims of what the Republican congressman called “legitimate rape” do not become pregnant because their bodies “shut down” due to the trauma.

The 87-year-old endorsed Mr Romney’s bid for the 2008 Republican presidential nomination and was one of his official campaign surrogates. ”I am proud to have the support of a man who has meant so much to the pro-life movement,” Mr Romney said at the time.

Mr Romney and Paul Ryan, his running mate, have denounced Mr Akin's remarks. Dr Willke has been given no role in Mr Romney’s 2012 campaign and aides stress that the candidate disagrees with his theory on rape.

However, Dr Willke told The Daily Telegraph that he did meet Mr Romney during a presidential primary campaign stop in the doctor's home city of Cincinnati, Ohio, in October last year. Local news reports at the time noted that the candidate held “private meetings” during the visit.

“He told me ‘thank you for your support – we agree on almost everything, and if I am elected President I will make some major pro-life pronouncements’,” Dr Willke said in a telephone interview on Tuesday.

“I thanked him, and said I knew where he was – that he was 99 per cent of what we wanted,” he said of the roughly ten-minute meeting. “
I told him I would help in any way I could”. A spokesman for Mr Romney declined to comment.

Mr Akin, the Republican candidate in a potentially crucial US Senate race in Missouri, prompted outrage at the weekend by saying that based on his understanding “from doctors", it was "really rare” for pregnancy to result from rape. “If it’s a legitimate rape, the female body has ways to try to shut that whole thing down," he told a local television channel.

Dr Willke, a political ally of Mr Akin's who put forward the theory in a 1985 book, claimed this week that when a woman is raped her "tubes are spastic", preventing conception. Mainstream scientific literature rejects the theory. Studies show rapes result in tens of thousands of US pregancies per year.

The congressman, who was attempting to justify his stance that the victims of rapes should not have the right to abortion, later said that he had meant to say "forcible rapes" and pleaded for forgiveness from voters. He has defied a parade of senior Republicans by refusing to resign his nomination.

Dr Willke wrote an open letter on Tuesday declaring that “the pro-life movement and I unequivocally stand with Rep. Akin” despite Mr Romney and several other party heavyweights saying that he must step aside.

“The guy is clean,” he told the Daily Telegraph. “He made one mistake by using the wrong word and the volcano erupted. The powers that be in the Republican party threw this guy overboard”.

The doctor said that he had also met Mr Ryan, who sits in Congress for the Wisconsin district in which one of his sons lives, several times.
He said that after listening to Dr Willke’s views on abortion during their last encounter, Mr Ryan replied: “That’s where I’m at”.

Dr Willke praised Mr Ryan as “a very obedient Catholic”, who would make a “great Vice President”. He contrased the Republican congressman with Joe Biden, the current Vice President, “who claims to be Catholic but doesn’t sound like one and doesn’t act like one”.

A spokesman for Mr Ryan did not return a request for comment.

link

this story is going to go on longer that Mitt would like
Old 08-23-2012, 01:04 AM   #82
FillJackson
I brick open layups

FillJackson has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by kentatm
this story is going to go on longer that Mitt would like

My wife mentioned this story to me tonight and she doesn't follow political news, so if she's heard about it, you know it's breaking through.

She is also at her parents place and they are Republicans of the Moderate, New England type, so they were probably talking about it too.

Obama, himself, commented on this story.
Quote:
President Obama weighed in on Missouri Senate candidate Todd Akin's controversial comments about "legitimate rape" Wednesday, mocking Akin by saying he "somehow missed science class."

"The interesting thing here is that this is an individual who sits on the House Committee on Science and Technology but somehow missed science class," Mr. Obama said at a fundraiser in New York City Wednesday night. "But it's representative of a desire to go backwards instead of forwards. And fights that we thought were settled twenty, thirty years ago."

This means the Obama team is happy to keep this story going and since the President himself spoke on it, it means they don't fell there's any downside to him getting involved personally. They would have used someone else if this was remotely controversial.

Also note the branding in bold.
FillJackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 10:54 AM   #83
RaininThrees
Meats Don't Clash

RaininThrees is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRaininThrees is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRaininThrees is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRaininThrees is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRaininThrees is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRaininThrees is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRaininThrees is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRaininThrees is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRaininThrees is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
A Republican candidate for sheriff in New Hampshire apologized today after saying he could use deadly force if necessary to stop an abortion doctor, a comment made as the GOP tries to move beyond Missouri Senate candidate Todd Akin’s own abortion comment.

“I want to be clear to the people of New Hampshire that I made several comments about the use of deadly force against abortion doctors that I regret, that I apologize for, and that I fully retract,” said Hillsborough County sheriff candidate Frank Szabo. “In making comments yesterday, I let my passionate stance against abortion get the better of me.”

Szabo, a Tea Party Republican challenging incumbent Sheriff James Hardy, a fellow Republican, added: “I honestly can’t imagine a situation where I would want to use deadly force. In fact, I would use every possible peaceful and lawful tool at my disposal to execute the job of Hillsborough County sheriff, and the people of the county should have confidence in that.”

http://www.boston.com/politicalintel...3VO/story.html

This...

I mean....

Just....

RaininThrees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 11:06 AM   #84
JellyBean
College superstar

JellyBean has an incredible reputation hereJellyBean has an incredible reputation hereJellyBean has an incredible reputation hereJellyBean has an incredible reputation hereJellyBean has an incredible reputation hereJellyBean has an incredible reputation here

Quote:
Originally Posted by embersyc
I'm not normally one to discuss politics on here, but please tell me you don't want to vote for a party with backwards ****s like this guy:

http://www.salon.com/2012/08/19/todd...ops_pregnancy/

It is scary that folks actually vote for guys like Todd Akin. Heck it is scary that folks are voting for Republicans and Tea Party folks. Sure we Liberals are wacky. But not on this level. Oh my word!!!
JellyBean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 03:32 PM   #85
KevinNYC
Toronto Mayor Rob Ford

KevinNYC is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKevinNYC is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKevinNYC is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKevinNYC is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKevinNYC is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKevinNYC is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKevinNYC is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKevinNYC is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKevinNYC is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKevinNYC is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKevinNYC is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

New poll out on the Akin Senate race.

http://www.rasmussenreports.com/publ...issouri_senate
KevinNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 04:01 PM   #86
JaggerCommaMick
Banned

JaggerCommaMick has one of the lowest reputations on this boardJaggerCommaMick has one of the lowest reputations on this boardJaggerCommaMick has one of the lowest reputations on this boardJaggerCommaMick has one of the lowest reputations on this boardJaggerCommaMick has one of the lowest reputations on this boardJaggerCommaMick has one of the lowest reputations on this board

kentatm, i have a question for you, mate.

You continue to harp on the fact that some republican candidate from missouri is running on platforms that will never be implemented at the federal level. You also continue to harp on the fact that the republican presidential candidate is clearly a politician who speaks out of both sides of his mouth. this seems to draw your derision at every turn.

But mate, I never see any threads from you about all the actual president's first term essentially being a replica of George W. Bush's two terms. Why the silence on that? Why the silence on military occupation, continuance of the Bush tax cuts, using gay marriage as a wedge issue at the start of political season, domestic surveillance, spying, torture, and negligence of the constitution?

Why is every post of yours geared towards making yourself seem intelligent and superior for laughing at the beliefs of an old man from Missouri who holds no public office?

Is that because that's all your party loyalty permits, or because it's all your brain is capable of? Just wondering, mate.

Please answer back. It's obviously you will dodge the question. But don't worry, I'll continue to bring it up.

It's obvious you're just joining in the chorus to try and make yourself appear intelligent. You aint intelligent mate. You aint never typed a single bloody intelligent word on here, far as I can tell. You've never said anything intelligent. You are a moron. You understand nothing. You are just bleeting bleeting bleeting bleeting bleeting, hoping you fit into a group, hoping someone mistakes your smug partisanship for intellectual capacity. Nobody's makin that mistake, mate.
JaggerCommaMick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 12:15 PM   #87
RaininThrees
Meats Don't Clash

RaininThrees is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRaininThrees is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRaininThrees is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRaininThrees is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRaininThrees is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRaininThrees is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRaininThrees is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRaininThrees is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRaininThrees is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

RaininThrees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 12:31 PM   #88
Sarcastic
NBA Legend and Hall of Famer

Sarcastic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSarcastic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSarcastic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSarcastic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSarcastic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSarcastic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSarcastic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSarcastic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSarcastic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSarcastic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSarcastic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

"Juices"

Sarcastic is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: