Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 01-25-2007, 11:28 AM   #1
DoubleTech
NBA lottery pick

DoubleTech is a pretty well-respected posterDoubleTech is a pretty well-respected posterDoubleTech is a pretty well-respected posterDoubleTech is a pretty well-respected poster
Default Questions about Europe for those in the know...

im going to europe this summer for the entire month of augest.

we're starting and ending the trip in madrid and making stops in italy, austria, poland, czech rep, germany, amsterdam, france and then back to spain.

does anyone have any travelling tips regarding where else we should go, things we shuold see, places to stay and easy ways to get around.

any and all help is much appreciated
DoubleTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2007, 11:38 AM   #2
thejoyofsobe
Local High School Star

thejoyofsobe has an OK reputation so far

I haven't been on the continent, but you should consider (if finances allow) while you're in France, taking the EuroStar train through the chunnel and spend a day or two in London.
thejoyofsobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2007, 11:58 AM   #3
boozehound
An uglier Lamar Doom

boozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

man that seems too much to do in a month. i would limit myslef to about 5 cities so I could spend 3-6 days in each. I havent been to Eastern Europe, so that side I dont know. I hear prague is wonderful. Madrid is a neat city. 2 world class art museums, interesting history. I would recommend Barcelona if your taking that route out of spain. That is my favorite city in Europe (it doesnt hurt that I spent 4 months there). That whole coast is awesome. Didnt care for Venice, FLorence was neat (w you cold do florence and rome together). Avignon is a nice change of pace. Milan is just a modern urban city, nothing too much (althoug Im sure it is a great city).

If I were you I would spend the whole month in spaon and check out Granada, Toledo, San Sebastian, Balboa, etc.
WHat are your interests (art, architecture, history, drinking, women?). That might help me focus some ideas for you

Last edited by boozehound : 01-25-2007 at 12:03 PM.
boozehound is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2007, 12:12 PM   #4
eboloid
Flash Gordo

eboloid has an OK reputation so far

In general, if you're on a tight budget (or just cheap), stay in youth hostels. I've met very ... interesting characters in hostels.

Austria and Germany:

Stuff yourself with as many different varieties of bread and sausage as you can. Heavenly stuff, to be sure.

Amsterdam:

Don't spend too much time in the red light district and surroundings, you'll end up very paranoid and hateful of everybody. It's just not a very nice place, and I'm very surprised I never got robbed or worse considering all the stoned-as-**** nights I've spent wandering around that place desperately trying to find my way back to our hotel.

Traveling:

Trains all the way, the railway system in western Europe will get you anywhere. Tickets are pretty expensive, but since you're already taking a tour through many countries, but fortunately you can buy monthly passes that are valid throughout most of Europe.

http://www.raileurope.com/us/index.htm for more information.
http://www.raileurope.com/us/rail/pa..._youthpass.htm $666 for a month for people under 26.

I don't really know anything about Poland or the Czech Republic, though.
eboloid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2007, 12:21 PM   #5
Brunch@Five
College superstar

Brunch@Five has a terrific reputationBrunch@Five has a terrific reputationBrunch@Five has a terrific reputationBrunch@Five has a terrific reputationBrunch@Five has a terrific reputation

If you plan on going to Cologne, Germany, I could give you quite a few tips. I live there, so I should know the places you need to go. I assume you are in your early twens?
Brunch@Five is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2007, 07:03 PM   #6
craigthomasb
College star

craigthomasb has an incredible reputation herecraigthomasb has an incredible reputation herecraigthomasb has an incredible reputation herecraigthomasb has an incredible reputation herecraigthomasb has an incredible reputation herecraigthomasb has an incredible reputation herecraigthomasb has an incredible reputation here

tyr and get tickets to concerts
craigthomasb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2007, 07:33 PM   #7
The_Masterplan
Banned

The_Masterplan has an OK reputation so far

go to scotland. IT is very very beautiful
The_Masterplan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2007, 09:05 PM   #8
DoubleTech
NBA lottery pick

DoubleTech is a pretty well-respected posterDoubleTech is a pretty well-respected posterDoubleTech is a pretty well-respected posterDoubleTech is a pretty well-respected poster

thanks for the info dudes, especially that eurorail ticket site...

and yea, im hopefully looking to see most of the historical touristy things in each city, while doing quite a bit of partying while experiencing the women.

it'll be tough to do all that in one month, but in places we really like (my buddy and i) we plan on staying 3-4 days, and others mostly just 1-2.

the plan is to stay in hostels wherever we go, and althuogh i've heard of this euro rail pass, i've also heard that if you book WAY in advance... flights from city to city in europe (the main ones) can cost as little as 5-10 euros... it sounds absurdly low but i heard this from two entirely different sources...

anyone have any experience with these planes? for 5 euros im worried they might ask us to stick our arms out the windows and flap real hard.
DoubleTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2007, 09:36 PM   #9
LakersDynasty
Very good NBA starter

LakersDynasty has a terrific reputationLakersDynasty has a terrific reputationLakersDynasty has a terrific reputationLakersDynasty has a terrific reputationLakersDynasty has a terrific reputationLakersDynasty has a terrific reputation

I was in Germany, Amsterdam, Paris, Barcelona, Brussels in 96, Europe is beautiful, enjoy it. Unfortunately I cannot remember the exact places.
LakersDynasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2007, 09:56 PM   #10
R.I.P.
NBA lottery pick

R.I.P. is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterR.I.P. is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterR.I.P. is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterR.I.P. is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterR.I.P. is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterR.I.P. is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterR.I.P. is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterR.I.P. is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterR.I.P. is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleTech
thanks for the info dudes, especially that eurorail ticket site...

and yea, im hopefully looking to see most of the historical touristy things in each city, while doing quite a bit of partying while experiencing the women.

it'll be tough to do all that in one month, but in places we really like (my buddy and i) we plan on staying 3-4 days, and others mostly just 1-2.

the plan is to stay in hostels wherever we go, and althuogh i've heard of this euro rail pass, i've also heard that if you book WAY in advance... flights from city to city in europe (the main ones) can cost as little as 5-10 euros... it sounds absurdly low but i heard this from two entirely different sources...

anyone have any experience with these planes? for 5 euros im worried they might ask us to stick our arms out the windows and flap real hard.

If you book way in advance, itīs possible to get flights for 20-40 Euros, but it would take lots of planning, and you wonīt have any flexibility. If you want freedom and flexibility railroad is the way to go, You see more of the countries, get to meet people and you can sleep in the overnight trains. Maybe you can throw in a cheap longer distance flight to gap a huge distance. That you could book in advance.
R.I.P. is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: