Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Old 08-22-2012, 04:26 AM   #16
9erempiree
26 yrs of watching NBA

9erempiree has one of the lowest reputations on this board9erempiree has one of the lowest reputations on this board9erempiree has one of the lowest reputations on this board9erempiree has one of the lowest reputations on this board9erempiree has one of the lowest reputations on this board9erempiree has one of the lowest reputations on this board9erempiree has one of the lowest reputations on this board9erempiree has one of the lowest reputations on this board9erempiree has one of the lowest reputations on this board9erempiree has one of the lowest reputations on this board9erempiree has one of the lowest reputations on this board
Default Re: If you could play basketball at an elite level what kind of mindset would you have?

I will have the mindset just like Kobe because his swag is on another level.

Did you see him in the Olympics? That's the mentality I want...I like the mature Kobe attitude.

In other words I want the Sexbe mentality.
9erempiree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 04:37 AM   #17
scandisk_
Banned (lol)

scandisk_ is considered somewhat coolscandisk_ is considered somewhat cool
Default Re: If you could play basketball at an elite level what kind of mindset would you have?

Talk a lot of trash and play tough D (scoring sux). Somethin like Payton kinda sh*t.
scandisk_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 07:45 AM   #18
INDI
Local High School Star

INDI has no real reputation yet.

2x champion
1x MVP
5x all-star

My mentality and game has always been close to jkidd's (less rebounder, better mid-range). My favorite part of the game is running the offense the way it should be ran. i like j Kidd because he uses his mind to dominate the game.

My strengths are mid-range shooting, quick first step, great at getting assists, and I love guarding the opposing teams best player (as long as he's a pg or sg).
INDI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 08:03 AM   #19
Rubio2Gasol
College star

Rubio2Gasol has decent reputation

Rondo.

If I had a better scoring game, probably Zeke.
Rubio2Gasol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 08:32 AM   #20
fpliii
sick of agendas...

fpliii is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterfpliii is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterfpliii is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterfpliii is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterfpliii is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterfpliii is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterfpliii is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterfpliii is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterfpliii is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterfpliii is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

unfortunately, if I was so talented, I'd probably go the way of someone like Len Bias/MRR/David Thompson

the temptations of drug use/partying with women nightly would probably take its toll on me (lol if I end up in finance it still might)...gotta respect these guys for keeping their heads on straight and staying focussed (relatively speaking of course, for the most part)
fpliii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 08:39 AM   #21
Raz

A good teammate like Nash, and a thug like Laimbeer. Both comparisons are apt because I'm white.
Old 08-22-2012, 08:45 AM   #22
Rake2204
7-time NBA All-Star

Rake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavincent
Not gonna lie, I'd probably be in it for the $$$
I believe I would be in the same boat. I've never been able to convince myself that if I received multiple millions of dollars for playing basketball, that I'd be able to bring about the same hunger and drive. The minute I signed that $5-$100 million dollar contract, I'd have succeeded in my own mind. I'd still compete, but that do or die attitude would likely go out the window pretty quickly.

I also think I'd quickly grow tired of the life. I'm not a nightlife person in terms of bars and clubs and whatnot. I'm also not someone who enjoys creating superficial relationships. I like being able to establish myself somewhere while building strong and reliable friendships. The NBA, of course, would be the complete opposite of that. 8-9 months of nearly non-stop cross country travel, a significant portion of teammates I'd probably struggle greatly to relate to, a family back home I'd never get to see, and a business end of basketball I'd probably rather do without... I think I'd become jaded.

As such, I think my mindset would be to gather all the money while I could, then "make the best" of my situation from there on out. I'd like to think I'd be big on entertaining fans. If I were an elite athlete, I'd try to showcase that whenever possible, keeping in mind that I'm getting paid because people want to see something great.
Rake2204 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 08:48 AM   #23
NotYetGreat
Great college starter

NotYetGreat has a terrific reputationNotYetGreat has a terrific reputationNotYetGreat has a terrific reputationNotYetGreat has a terrific reputationNotYetGreat has a terrific reputationNotYetGreat has a terrific reputation

I'd acknowledge the temptations of all the craziness that comes with being an elite athlete, but I'd do everything i my power to keep grounded. I won't lie, I like attention. I like being the showman leader kind of guy, but everyone who knows me knows that despite all the cocky jokes, tongue-in-cheek comments, and macho bravado, I'm as nice and humble as they come. I never really liked to think of myself as that back then, but the more I acknowledged my being that, the more I was able to achieve stuff. I'm also incredibly competitive and hungry. I played HS ball, but being in a truthfully crappy school when it comes to athletics, I didn't have a chance to show myself really. Now, being in undoubtedly THE university over here, I have a chance and people around the team are starting to take notice.
NotYetGreat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 09:08 AM   #24
Bandito
NBA Role Player

Bandito is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBandito is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBandito is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBandito is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBandito is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBandito is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBandito is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBandito is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBandito is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBandito is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBandito is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quickening
I would throw team mates under the bus to divert attention away from me, and pull lots of war hero faces in clutch time, meaning its irrelevant whether I make the shot or not.
so you're gonna be another lebron?
Bandito is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 09:34 AM   #25
hon hon hon eat snails

9512 has decent reputation9512 has decent reputation

I'd be a hustle type player who can hit wide open jump shots and can score some (against bad defenders).

Kinda like a Bruce Bowen, Jarret Jack, Jannero Pargo, etc...

I would definitely accept being a role player earning $1.5 mil/year. Averaging about 5.5 ppg, 2 apg, 3 rpg, 74% FT, 44FG% for about 19 MPG.

Like Derrick Rose (minus his skills and athleticism), most people on message boards would say, "Damn [9512] is a social retawd!"

In the locker room though, it will be difficult. I am the type of guy MJ would pick on like he did on Bill Cartwright and Horace Grant. So yea I wouldn't be a popular player.

I hope I would know how to say "no" to fake friends who come out of the woodwork to borrow money and freeloading relatives.

I hope no predatory groupies will target me like they did with Shawn Kemp. Seduce my naive a$$, get pregnant, and extort me for child support money.

Truth is I would enjoy the fans' admiration and anything positive but the negative press I won't probably be able to handle.

I'd definitely not get married during my playing days. I'd wait until I was done playing ball and wait at least 5 more years before settling down. I wouldn't want a chick who knew too much about basketball, who knows how much money I made, marry me for the money.

I am cheapskate and not the most materialistic guy so therefore I will not be one of those guys who go broke 5 years after retiring. I will live below my means like a guy who earns less than $50k/year. This means my kids and maybe their kids will still benefit a bit from my NBA money.
9512 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 09:43 AM   #26
swi7ch
Banned

swi7ch has not been impressing people

Jordan.

I would try to score 100 pts on your ass even though we're up by 1,000 pts. If you can't defend me, I'm gonna make your sorry ass pay.
swi7ch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 09:49 AM   #27
tmacattack33
NBA rookie of the year

tmacattack33 has not been impressing people

Quote:
Originally Posted by jongib369
I'm kinda soft spoken and "socially awkward" like rose...I wouldn't give a damn to do interviews before, during or after the game... But I would occasionally to let the fans know I respect and thank them for allowing me to get paid for playing the game I love....If I didn't have a family I'd honestly live in a basketball court...Put my mattress at half court and practice every damn day lmao.

I'd also play for minimum contract even if I was a major player/star. I play for the game and the game only...**** publicity, and **** big money. I don't need anything fancy, just give me a court, some shoes and a ball and I'm set.

No situational narcissism for me thank you very much lol..

I'd be serious as **** on court, and I'd do w/e it takes to win. Simple Fundamental team ball with a quite obsession/rage to win.

If you could make 10 million a year, there is no way you would take 600,000 a year just for the F of it.
tmacattack33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 09:56 AM   #28
SilkkTheShocker
RAY ALLEN FOR 3..BANG!

SilkkTheShocker has one of the lowest reputations on this boardSilkkTheShocker has one of the lowest reputations on this boardSilkkTheShocker has one of the lowest reputations on this boardSilkkTheShocker has one of the lowest reputations on this boardSilkkTheShocker has one of the lowest reputations on this boardSilkkTheShocker has one of the lowest reputations on this boardSilkkTheShocker has one of the lowest reputations on this boardSilkkTheShocker has one of the lowest reputations on this boardSilkkTheShocker has one of the lowest reputations on this boardSilkkTheShocker has one of the lowest reputations on this boardSilkkTheShocker has one of the lowest reputations on this board

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bandito
so you're gonna be another lebron?
Try again, f.ag
SilkkTheShocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 09:57 AM   #29
scandisk_
Banned (lol)

scandisk_ is considered somewhat coolscandisk_ is considered somewhat cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by swi7ch
Jordan.

I would try to score 100 pts on your ass even though we're up by 1,000 pts. If you can't defend me, I'm gonna make your sorry ass pay.

Realistically speaking you'll probably end up like Melo

MJ's mentality is friggin' more than that.
scandisk_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 10:09 AM   #30
BoutPractice
I'll pass

BoutPractice has a terrific reputationBoutPractice has a terrific reputationBoutPractice has a terrific reputationBoutPractice has a terrific reputationBoutPractice has a terrific reputation

I'd try to be a good teammate first and foremost, both on the court and in the locker room.

I'd also do everything to develop a niche as quickly as possible so I can stay in the league, whether rebounding/defense/screen setting or catch and shooting.
BoutPractice is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: