Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Old 08-22-2012, 10:39 AM   #1
DaHeezy
College star

Default There is something wrong with ISH considers Wilt the 7th greatest player of all-time

I've been on this message board since the beginning and ezboard ISH for 5 years and throughout that whole timeframe I have never experienced Wilt be considered less than a top 3 player all-time. Some of the greatest and wisest posters of all-time have considered Wilt even as high as #1.

It goes to show how 1 poster (jlauber) can affect the POV of a whole community.
DaHeezy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 10:41 AM   #2
swi7ch
Banned

Default Re: There is something wrong with ISH considers Wilt the 7th greatest player of all-time

OK, so why would you list Wilt higher then? Did you even see him play one game or were you just persuaded by the media telling us of Wilt's "greatness" (compared to his competition then)? Do you believe Wilt slept with 100s of women, too? Or how about mountain lions... do you also believe Wilt kept these as pets?
swi7ch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 10:52 AM   #3
DaHeezy
College star

Default Re: There is something wrong with ISH considers Wilt the 7th greatest player of all-time

Quote:
Originally Posted by swi7ch
OK, so why would you list Wilt higher then? Did you even see him play one game or were you just persuaded by the media telling us of Wilt's "greatness" (compared to his competition then)? Do you believe Wilt slept with 100s of women, too? Or how about mountain lions... do you also believe Wilt kept these as pets?

What does that have to do with his greatness as a basketball player? Don't be a tard and use this as ammo.

Whos' seen Bill Russell? He's ranked higher. In fact I could bank that most haven't seen Bird or magic.
I lived through the Jordan era and don't consider Jordan the greatest. Media has more affect on his greatness more than any other player of all-time.

Weak post.
DaHeezy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 11:04 AM   #4
scandisk_
Banned (lol)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaHeezy
What does that have to do with his greatness as a basketball player? Don't be a tard and use this as ammo.

Whos' seen Bill Russell? He's ranked higher. In fact I could bank that most haven't seen Bird or magic.
I lived through the Jordan era and don't consider Jordan the greatest. Media has more affect on his greatness more than any other player of all-time.

Weak post.

There's nothing wrong with people having him below top5. I view MJ as the GOAT, you don't. To each his own. It just so happens that peeps value titles and clutch-shit factor more (you know the not-choking thing).
scandisk_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 11:10 AM   #5
Rolando
Good High School Starter

What went wrong was this:

Magic Johnson coming in at 4th behind Russell. That automatically triggered Bird to be 5th because you just can't seperate Bird and Magic.

By the same logic of non-seperation, Wilt should have come in right behind Russell. You really can't seperate the two, just like Bird and Magic.

When you have career rivals like Russell/Wilt and Bird/Magic they end up pushing each other to a higher level meaning, part of the greatness of Russell was how he responded to Wilt who was just a good or better as a player. However, someone always comes out ahead as is the case with Russell and Magic.

Wilt should be 4th
Magic 5th
Bird 6th
Rolando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 11:15 AM   #6
swi7ch
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaHeezy
Weak post.

But you replied.
swi7ch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 11:25 AM   #7
AK47DR91

If Wilt had the championships and Finals MVP to back up his unbreakable stats then he'd be the GOAT or top 2 All-Time.

2 title and 1 Finals MVP doesn't cut it for a man of his caliber.
Old 08-22-2012, 11:32 AM   #8
Sarcastic
NBA Legend and Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK47DR91
If Wilt had the championships and Finals MVP to back up his unbreakable stats then he'd be the GOAT or top 2 All-Time.

2 title and 1 Finals MVP doesn't cut it for a man of his caliber.

They didn't have a FMVP in his first title year. Bill Russell also has 0 FMVP. Don't use that as a barometer.
Sarcastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 11:48 AM   #9
Yung D-Will
Utah Jazz (6-6)

Wilt not being top four should inspire a rant by Stephen A Smith.
Yung D-Will is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 12:12 PM   #10
KOBE143
In GawdBe We Trust

Wilt Avg

30ppg regular season
to
20ppg Playoff

Choker? Yes
Top 5? No
KOBE143 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 12:19 PM   #11
Owl
Local High School Star

Wilt at 7 is for me too low. It doesn't mean that a list is unquestionably terrible but it is questionable. 7th is as low as I've seen him on any published list and that list was one of the more questionable ones (it had Mel Daniels as 25th best player of all-time, this was Athlon in a list done in 1998).

Without having followed the best player threads I'd ask the following questions:

Is the person running the polls/appearing as OP a respected poster? Are they regarded as biased in any way? If so they could be detering posters who have decided not to respond or interact with said poster.

Is the voting method sound? Is a majority of votes required or simply a plurality (more than anyone else)? If a plurality is there a minimum threshold so a player can't get a place by acquiring less than, say, a quarter of the total votes?

Are the voters knowledgeable? Have they been vetted at all or can anyone join in. If anyone, are there players getting votes at a point which suggests posters don't know what they're talking about? Are posts littered with misspellings of the players they're voting for? Are votes supported by rationales or justified in any way?

Is there a clear statement of criteria? Is it dominance within era? Or more like who you'd pick in a fantasy elite league draft? Is it based primarily on peak or longevity? If the criteria is unclear the quality of the end result will be spotty.

My guess is that if the results aren't credible there are problems in one or more of these areas.
Owl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 12:27 PM   #12
kurple
NBA All-star

i thought everyone knew ISH was run by 14 year old fanboys
kurple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 12:28 PM   #13
Colbertnation64
I hit open 5-footers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Owl
Wilt at 7 is for me too low. It doesn't mean that a list is unquestionably terrible but it is questionable. 7th is as low as I've seen him on any published list and that list was one of the more questionable ones (it had Mel Daniels as 25th best player of all-time, this was Athlon in a list done in 1998).

Without having followed the best player threads I'd ask the following questions:

Is the person running the polls/appearing as OP a respected poster? Are they regarded as biased in any way? If so they could be detering posters who have decided not to respond or interact with said poster.

Is the voting method sound? Is a majority of votes required or simply a plurality (more than anyone else)? If a plurality is there a minimum threshold so a player can't get a place by acquiring less than, say, a quarter of the total votes?

Are the voters knowledgeable? Have they been vetted at all or can anyone join in. If anyone, are there players getting votes at a point which suggests posters don't know what they're talking about? Are posts littered with misspellings of the players they're voting for? Are votes supported by rationales or justified in any way?

Is there a clear statement of criteria? Is it dominance within era? Or more like who you'd pick in a fantasy elite league draft? Is it based primarily on peak or longevity? If the criteria is unclear the quality of the end result will be spotty.

My guess is that if the results aren't credible there are problems in one or more of these areas.
lol, when people started putting Wilt higher than top 7 deuce bigalow started crying and complaining about people putting Wilt that high. He then made it so people with under 100 posts couldn't vote, even though new accounts were just allowed to be created like 2 months ago. He then started posting arguments on why Magic is greater than Wilt.

If a person is doing a poll like that, the only thing they do is tally up the votes. They don't make arguments. When I told him that he started saying "but why shouldn't I be able to post?!?!?"
Colbertnation64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 12:28 PM   #14
Freedom Kid7
Lazy Bulls fan

Opinions are just opinions.
Jlauber's opinion is that he's arguably the GOAT
Deuce's opinion is that he's #10.

I understand if you disagree with an opinion, but just because it's not your opinion doesn't mean it's wrong.
Freedom Kid7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 12:34 PM   #15
CavaliersFTW
5-time NBA All-Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colbertnation64
lol, when people started putting Wilt higher than top 7 deuce bigalow started crying and complaining about people putting Wilt that high. He then made it so people with under 100 posts couldn't vote, even though new accounts were just allowed to be created like 2 months ago. He then started posting arguments on why Magic is greater than Wilt.

If a person is doing a poll like that, the only thing they do is tally up the votes. They don't make arguments. When I told him that he started saying "but why shouldn't I be able to post?!?!?"

Yah, and I avoided his poll altogether because I knew he was a Wilt troll. My vote would have gone to Wilt, and I'm sure other pro-Wilt posters avoided posting on his poll because we all expected he'd put up a big front when Wilt votes started to pour in. The poll results are heavily skewed because of the bias and reputation of it's OP.
CavaliersFTW is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: