Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Old 08-22-2012, 07:10 PM   #16
Remix
SONICS FAN SINCE '10

Default Re: What's with this myth that Shaq didn't have a long period of time as a superstar?

I'm a Kobe fan, but I really think Shaq gets under-appreciated on this forum. Putting up 18 a game at age 36 is incredible, especially for a guy his size. I think he is also higher than #7 all-time as well.
Remix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 07:10 PM   #17
Yao Ming's Foot
You're welcome

Default Re: What's with this myth that Shaq didn't have a long period of time as a superstar?

You guys created that mantra remember? Like LeBron fans whining about stacked teams. Shaq only began winning championships when he was teamed with Kobe. You told us that was because he was so dominant at his peak. His lack of playoff success prior to Kobe was simply because he wasn't at his peak at that point.
Yao Ming's Foot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 07:11 PM   #18
RRR3
For threeeeee!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yao Ming's Foot
You guys created that mantra remember? Like LeBron fans whining about stacked teams. Shaq only began winning championships when he was teamed with Kobe. You told us that was because he was so dominant at his peak. His lack of playoff success prior to Kobe was simply because he wasn't at his peak at that point.
I created nothing, don't give me so much credit.
Also find it hilarious that you Mamba boys have the GALL to insinuate Bryant carried O'Neal
RRR3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 07:13 PM   #19
millwad
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Round Mound
Jordan was the GOAT Late 80s and All 90s. Then It Was Hakeem for the Late 80s and Early 90s as the 2nd Best Player and Charles Barkley the 3rd Best Player.

'95 and '95 was all Hakeem - mid 90's

The early and the late 90's belonged to MJ, Shaq is not GOAT in the mid '90's...
millwad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 07:14 PM   #20
Yao Ming's Foot
You're welcome

Quote:
Originally Posted by RRR3
I created nothing, don't give me so much credit.
Also find it hilarious that you Mamba boys have the GALL to insinuate Bryant carried O'Neal

no more than Magic carried Kareem or Pippen and Rodman carried Jordan.

The majority of GOAT players played with eachother or multiple HOFers.
Yao Ming's Foot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 07:16 PM   #21
RRR3
For threeeeee!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yao Ming's Foot
no more than Magic carried Kareem or Pippen and Rodman carried Jordan.

The majority of GOAT players played with eachother or multiple HOFers.
RRR3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 07:18 PM   #22
Smoke117
Barstool Blues

I think most poeple's problem with Shaq is he could have been so much better than he was. He basically got away with being great on his natural physical dominance and talent and didn't work that hard on actually building up his skill. He didn't care to try to even work on his ft shooting. Yes we all understand how huge his hands are, but that was no excuse. He was also just plain lazy. He could have been a MUCH better defensive player than he actually was. Defense is first and foremost effort and Shaq wasn't out there giving it 100% like Hakeem Olajuwon, David Robinson, Patrick Ewing, Alonzo Mourning. Does no one else find it odd that Shaq set his career high in rpg and bpg his ROOKIE SEASON? Basically before his ego got in the way and he decided that scoring was what was most important to him.

He did have a long period as a super star but he'll always go down as an underachiever. If there is any guy who could have taken the mantel as the greatest of all time definitively if he just had the drive it was Shaq O'neal.

Last edited by Smoke117 : 08-22-2012 at 07:21 PM.
Smoke117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 07:18 PM   #23
jlip
Good college starter

Just to add a little more to this...We know that Shaq was a poor ft shooter, but he may be one of the more underrated scorers of this generation. I feel this is largely due to him not fiiting the highly questionable and subjective perception of what qualifies one to be a scorer in many people's minds. In the post MJ world of b-ball analysis being a flashy, volume shooting, athletic perimeter player and/ or having "pretty" moves make you a scorer. That seems to be the definition of a scorer on ISH. Actually putting the ball in the basket seems not to be that important if the move that preceeded the shot isn't viewed as an "aesthetically pleasing skill". Anyways...

Although he has won only 2 scoring titles (1995, 2000), Shaq has been involved in three of the four closest scoring races in NBA history. He finished second all three times but easily could have won 5 scoring titles if he cared about that accolade. Here are the circumstances surrounding those 3 near misses.

1994- David Robinson- 29.8ppg
Shaq- 29.3ppg
The Spurs consciously set out to get David Robinson the scoring title. He miraculously had a career high 71 points on the last day of the season.

1998- MJ 28.7ppg
Shaq 28.3ppg
Owning a slim lead heading into the final day of the season, Jordan scored 44 points his final game against the Knicks. O'Neal, playing on the West Coast, needed 59 points to win the title but finished with "only" 33 in a Lakers' win.
http://newsok.com/article/3441320

1999- AI 26.8ppg
Shaq 26.3 ppg
Iverson owned a narrow lead heading into the final day of the season. Iverson scored 40 points in an overtime win over Detroit. O'Neal, having barely lost the title the previous year, said he didn't care and scored 18 points in the Lakers' rout over Portland.
http://newsok.com/article/3441320
jlip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 07:20 PM   #24
The Choken One
<3 LeBron <3 Heat <3

It'd assume it's because he didn't do shlt until he got another superstar on his team. No hate, no player can win a championship alone, I'm just stating that's why people might say that. Not that I or other people agree, just a hypothesis.
The Choken One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 07:25 PM   #25
Hands of Iron
[ Sickplicity 33 ]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoke117
I think most poeple's problem with Shaq is he could have been so much better than he was. He basically got away with being great on his natural physical dominance and talent and didn't work that hard on actually building up his skill. He didn't care to try to even work on his ft shooting. Yes we all understand how huge his hands are, but that was no excuse. He was also just plain lazy. He could have been a MUCH better defensive player than he actually was. Defense is first and foremost effort and Shaq wasn't out there giving it 100% like Hakeem Olajuwon, David Robinson, Patrick Ewing, Alonzo Mourning. Does no one else find it odd that Shaq set his career high in rpg and bpg his ROOKIE SEASON? Basically before his ego got in the way and he decided that scoring was what was most important to him.

He did have a long period as a super star but he'll always go down as an underachiever. If there is any guy who could have taken the mantel as the greatest of all time definitively if he just had the drive it was Shaq O'neal.

Best Finals Performer Ever sans Jordan.
Hands of Iron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 07:38 PM   #26
TheBigVeto
Negging Me Is Gay

Shaq is better than Kobe, then, now and forever.

/thread
TheBigVeto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 07:43 PM   #27
Yung D-Will
Utah Jazz (6-6)

13 Straight seasons from the moment he entered the leauge, averaging at least 21/10 on at least 55% shooting (1992-2005)
Yung D-Will is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 07:44 PM   #28
BlackVVaves
NBA lottery pick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Odinn

OP listed Shaq's longevity of 14 seasons. Kobe right now is on 14 seasons of the same criteria of longevity. So, where exactly was I wrong in saying they are equal, or that in 2 seasons Kobe's longevity will surpass Shaq's?

BlackVVaves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 07:52 PM   #29
Odinn
I make 50-feet jumpers

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackVVaves
OP listed Shaq's longevity of 14 seasons. Kobe right now is on 14 seasons of the same criteria of longevity. So, where exactly was I wrong in saying they are equal, or that in 2 seasons Kobe's longevity will surpass Shaq's?

As for being one of the best players in the L, Kobe is on 12. Not 14. He wasn't even top 10 player in the L in 1999-00 and in 2000-01 he became top 5 arguably top 3. 2000-01 season was Kobe's break-out season. His first 2 seasons not good enough. If Kobe reaches 14, it will be a little bit more valuable compared to Shaq coz of age difference. Kobe will be at his 35 and Shaq was at his 33 in 2005-06.
Odinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 08:00 PM   #30
Suckafree
High School Varsity 12th Man

This is crazy
He was a superstar as soon as he stepped on an NBA court all the way until he fell off at the heat.
Thats like 13 years of complete dominance
Suckafree is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: