Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Los Angeles Lakers Forum

Los Angeles Lakers Forum Los Angeles Lakers message board - los angeles lakers fan forum

Old 08-18-2012, 11:45 AM   #1
magicmanfan
Local High School Star

magicmanfan is a pretty well-respected postermagicmanfan is a pretty well-respected postermagicmanfan is a pretty well-respected poster
Default We still need a backup center IMO

Over in the "Final Roster" thread, I put my guess at the depthchart as follows:

Nash/Blake/Duhon
Kobe/Meeks/Johnson-Odom
Metta/Jamison/Ebanks
Pau/Hill/Clark
Howard/?????/Sacre

and you can see I think there's a hole at backup centre....

According to NBA.com, these centers are available:

Player Pos Age Exp Type Old Team New Team Contract More
Alabi, Solomon C 24 2yrs RFA PHI --- --- ---
Andersen, Chris C 34 10yrs UFA DEN --- --- Nuggets waive Andersen via amnesty clause
Battie, Tony C 36 15yrs UFA PHI --- --- ---
Curry, Eddy C 29 11yrs UFA MIA --- --- ---
Dampier, Erick C 36 16yrs UFA ATL --- --- ---
Diop, DeSagana C 30 11yrs UFA* CHA --- --- ---
Erden, Semih C 25 2yrs RFA CLE --- --- Erdin signs two-year deal with team in Turkey
Fesenko, Kyrylo C 25 5yrs UFA IND --- --- ---
Magloire, Jamaal C 34 12yrs UFA TOR --- --- ---
Milicic, Darko C 27 9yrs UFA*** MIN --- --- Wolves use amnesty option to waive Darko Milicic
Whiteside, HassanC 23 2yrs UFA*** SAC --- --- Kings waive Whiteside

WOULD ANY OF THESE PLAYERS BE A GOOD FIT FOR THE LAKERS?

OR DO YOU THINK PAU WILL PLAY THERE ENOUGH TO FILL THAT HOLE?
magicmanfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 03:49 PM   #2
BlueandGold
bball/boxing

BlueandGold is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterBlueandGold is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterBlueandGold is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterBlueandGold is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterBlueandGold is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterBlueandGold is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterBlueandGold is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterBlueandGold is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterBlueandGold is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterBlueandGold is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster
Default Re: We still need a backup center IMO

Hill can play backup at C, Pau can too. In fact Gasol flourished as a center when him and Odom were getting major minutes.

The Lakers championship core was actually Gasol/Odom/Kobe + cast as Odom was the ultimate glue guy and fit well with literally any play on the court (at least when he was a Laker under the triangle, sigh).

Anyways do you want the Lakers to shell out even more than the 200+ mil they have to pay in the luxury tax?

I believe the tax before was a dollar per dollar one.. now it's double that? (2 dollars per 1)
BlueandGold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 07:54 AM   #3
Swaggin916
Enter the Dragic

Swaggin916 is popular on this boardSwaggin916 is popular on this boardSwaggin916 is popular on this boardSwaggin916 is popular on this board

We really don't. We have Earl Clark too and he can come in at the 4 and Pau can slide to the 5... Hill can play the 5. So in the end we have 3 guys who can play the 4 and 3 guys who can play 5 and 4 guys total so we are in good shape.
Swaggin916 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 02:23 PM   #4
$LakerGold
#TeamMir #TeamRousey

$LakerGold is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster$LakerGold is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster$LakerGold is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster$LakerGold is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster$LakerGold is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster$LakerGold is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster$LakerGold is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster$LakerGold is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster$LakerGold is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster$LakerGold is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster$LakerGold is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

WTF, Jamison is a Forward.

So Hill is goin to be the back-up center.
$LakerGold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 02:42 PM   #5
All Net
Twitter-@AllNetSports

All Net is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAll Net is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAll Net is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAll Net is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAll Net is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAll Net is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAll Net is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAll Net is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAll Net is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAll Net is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAll Net is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Our bigs are

Dwight
Gasol
Hill
Clark
Jamison

and take a look who teams like Miami have at C. We aren't desperate for bigs.
All Net is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 09:14 PM   #6
DKLaker
NBA sixth man of the year

DKLaker has not been impressing people

as most have mentioned, we are completely fine at the position......and face it, this is the weakest the center position has been in NBA history anyway.
DKLaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 12:27 PM   #7
dd24
College superstar

dd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

I don't think the C position is the weakest it's been in NBA history. There's actually a lot of good C's out there. With that said, the Lakers have plenty of size. Like was mentioned in other posts, Pau can play C and so can Hill. I think this will help with the distribution of minutes. Jamison can play PF and Pau can play C to give Dwight a quick breath. Hill can come in for Pau or Dwight. Sacre will probably end up in the D league at some point I would imagine. He's not NBA ready. I'm actually looking for the Lakers to start to groom Hill a bit more. I've mentioned in other threads this is probably Pau's last season here. Next year the Lakers will not be able to afford this lineup. Next season is when the new luxury tax rule kicks in. They will definitely shop Pau.
dd24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 04:27 PM   #8
lakerfreak
The go-to-guy

lakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by dd24
I don't think the C position is the weakest it's been in NBA history. There's actually a lot of good C's out there. With that said, the Lakers have plenty of size. Like was mentioned in other posts, Pau can play C and so can Hill. I think this will help with the distribution of minutes. Jamison can play PF and Pau can play C to give Dwight a quick breath. Hill can come in for Pau or Dwight. Sacre will probably end up in the D league at some point I would imagine. He's not NBA ready. I'm actually looking for the Lakers to start to groom Hill a bit more. I've mentioned in other threads this is probably Pau's last season here. Next year the Lakers will not be able to afford this lineup. Next season is when the new luxury tax rule kicks in. They will definitely shop Pau.

They'll probably be able top afford it, especially if the team is winning. The question is how much are they willing to spend.

Why trade a guy who's fat contract is going to expire in 2 years? Suck it up for 2 seasons. Pau and Kobe will come off the books, Nash will come off it next year. Then all you have is Dwight Howard to pay for.
lakerfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 05:13 PM   #9
DKLaker

Quote:

LMAO....If Andrew Bynum is the 2nd best Center in the NBA then you are completely wrong

IMO Elden Cambell would be a top 2 center today
Dwight is good but come on, compared to the history at the positon

Would you take Bynum over a prime Vlade even???
Old 08-20-2012, 05:25 PM   #10
dd24
College superstar

dd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakerfreak
They'll probably be able top afford it, especially if the team is winning. The question is how much are they willing to spend.

Why trade a guy who's fat contract is going to expire in 2 years? Suck it up for 2 seasons. Pau and Kobe will come off the books, Nash will come off it next year. Then all you have is Dwight Howard to pay for.

They say with the salary cap taxes if Dwight signs a max deal the Lakers will be paying 185 million next year with the current lineup. Do you guys really think they'll shell out that kind of money? I feel like they'd have a hard time turning much of a profit like that.
Old 08-20-2012, 05:39 PM   #11
dd24
College superstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKLaker
LMAO....If Andrew Bynum is the 2nd best Center in the NBA then you are completely wrong

IMO Elden Cambell would be a top 2 center today
Dwight is good but come on, compared to the history at the positon

Would you take Bynum over a prime Vlade even???

I probably would take Bynum. He has more upside still. Ask me after this season where we finally see him as a leader of a team The position is pretty good. Think about how many teams have solid C's. While there's not as many stars, there are a whole bunch of very good ones. Dwight Howard, Andrew Bynum, Tyson Chandler, Andrew Bogut, Roy Hibbert, Brook Lopez, Greg Monroe, Al Jefferson, Joakim Noah, Kendrick Perkins, Chris Kaman, Al Horford, Nene Hilario, Marc Gasol, Demarcus Cousins, Emeka Okafur, etc.

There's a lot of young talent that could be really good too. Enes Kanter, Jonas Valancuinas, Andre Drummond, Bismack Biyombo, etc.

So while there's not Olajuwan, Ewing, and Robinson that's still a very good list of talent there. I think today's C's are just a bit under rated because with the rules of the NBA it does favor guards a bit more now. I think it could also be argued that PF is as strong as it's ever been, and there's plenty of those guys who will play C for short times during a game too.
Old 08-20-2012, 06:01 PM   #12
DKLaker

Quote:
They say with the salary cap taxes if Dwight signs a max deal the Lakers will be paying 185 million next year with the current lineup. Do you guys really think they'll shell out that kind of money? I feel like they'd have a hard time turning much of a profit like that.

No problem, with that new TV deal, merchandise sales, ticket sales including road sell outs, more playoff/finals games the Lakers can turn a bigger profit than ever.
Old 08-20-2012, 06:12 PM   #13
DKLaker

Quote:
I probably would take Bynum. He has more upside still. Ask me after this season where we finally see him as a leader of a team The position is pretty good. Think about how many teams have solid C's. While there's not as many stars, there are a whole bunch of very good ones. Dwight Howard, Andrew Bynum, Tyson Chandler, Andrew Bogut, Roy Hibbert, Brook Lopez, Greg Monroe, Al Jefferson, Joakim Noah, Kendrick Perkins, Chris Kaman, Al Horford, Nene Hilario, Marc Gasol, Demarcus Cousins, Emeka Okafur, etc.

There's a lot of young talent that could be really good too. Enes Kanter, Jonas Valancuinas, Andre Drummond, Bismack Biyombo, etc.

So while there's not Olajuwan, Ewing, and Robinson that's still a very good list of talent there. I think today's C's are just a bit under rated because with the rules of the NBA it does favor guards a bit more now. I think it could also be argued that PF is as strong as it's ever been, and there's plenty of those guys who will play C for short times during a game too.

Man....I am so very unimpressed by the entire group you listed.
Center used to be THE glory position in the NBA, now it's just same level wanna bees Where is a Wilt vs. Kareem showdown, Hakeem vs. Ewing
Shaq vs. Yao........I could go on and on for hours......been watching this game since 1960 and if the best you can give me is Howard vs. Bynum this year ....I mean damn, Artis Gilmore would rule things today.
Looking at that list again....in the heyday all but 2 would definitely be backup centers for sure. The center position has declined as bad as Heavyweight Boxing....or almost as bad.
Old 08-20-2012, 06:19 PM   #14
dd24
College superstar

But the rules are different now too..... I think that plays into what you're seeing quite a bit. Like I mentioned, there's not as many top tier players but there's good ones. I just think with the way rules are today it changed the way they play and guys are shifting their games accordingly.
Old 08-20-2012, 06:27 PM   #15
DKLaker

Quote:
But the rules are different now too..... I think that plays into what you're seeing quite a bit. Like I mentioned, there's not as many top tier players but there's good ones. I just think with the way rules are today it changed the way they play and guys are shifting their games accordingly.

Nothing to do with the rules at all.......it's strictly about the talent and it is comparatively terrible.

What I blame most is that the 3pt line has destroyed the importance of dominating the paint.
Second is that the league has too many teams so the talent is horribly watered down.....so yeah, a whole ton of guys who would be backups are now starting.
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: