Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Old 08-21-2012, 11:43 PM   #1
CavaliersFTW
5-time NBA All-Star

CavaliersFTW is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterCavaliersFTW is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterCavaliersFTW is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterCavaliersFTW is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterCavaliersFTW is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterCavaliersFTW is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterCavaliersFTW is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterCavaliersFTW is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterCavaliersFTW is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterCavaliersFTW is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterCavaliersFTW is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster
Talking "b-b-b-but Modern Nutrition" (PRIME Willis Reed posterized by nameless 6-3 guard)

http://youtu.be/5SV51pPKpWk

I am sitting on a lot of dunks and athletic plays like this in my archive... and we live in a world where Allen Iverson was addicted to McDonalds, Rodman was on every drug known to man, and Lamar Odom has a candy addiction... yet I can't tell you how many times I've heard people say "but modern nutrition!" like it's a secret key ingredient to creating athleticism

Honestly, from what I see - freak athletes are freak athletes, simple genetics. And from footage I have, it looks like they've been a part of EVERY nba era, they aren't something new.

I get the idea young fans see small super athletic guards like Westbrook or Rose doing their beastly dunks today and assuming that sh*t would be unfathomable in the 60's/70's - like it would stun the crowd or shell shock that eras defenders or some sh*t. But honestly, it's been done before.

Inb4 enraged teenage 60's/70's era haters
CavaliersFTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 11:49 PM   #2
Pointguard
NBA sixth man of the year

Pointguard is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablePointguard is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablePointguard is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablePointguard is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablePointguard is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablePointguard is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablePointguard is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablePointguard is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablePointguard is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablePointguard is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablePointguard is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable
Default Re: "b-b-b-but Modern Nutrition" (PRIME Willis Reed posterized by nameless 6-3 guard)

Nasty. Fred Carter used to be announcer on one of the major networks. Willis probably caught him in an alley way.
Pointguard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 11:57 PM   #3
Knicksfever2010
Decent college freshman

Knicksfever2010 is starting to rub some people the wrong wayKnicksfever2010 is starting to rub some people the wrong way
Default Re: "b-b-b-but Modern Nutrition" (PRIME Willis Reed posterized by nameless 6-3 guard)

not sure about 'posterizing'...looked like willis reed turned to help on defense and by then it was too late, and he didnt want to pick up a foul.

Nice reach at trying to diss a New York Knick player. Best of luck hating
Knicksfever2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 11:58 PM   #4
TheeBeast
Local High School Star

TheeBeast is popular on this boardTheeBeast is popular on this boardTheeBeast is popular on this boardTheeBeast is popular on this board

We also have new medical advances, just look at what the German knee procedure did for Kobe
TheeBeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 12:04 AM   #5
CavaliersFTW
5-time NBA All-Star

CavaliersFTW is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterCavaliersFTW is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterCavaliersFTW is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterCavaliersFTW is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterCavaliersFTW is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterCavaliersFTW is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterCavaliersFTW is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterCavaliersFTW is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterCavaliersFTW is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterCavaliersFTW is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterCavaliersFTW is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knicksfever2010
not sure about 'posterizing'...looked like willis reed turned to help on defense and by then it was too late, and he didnt want to pick up a foul.

Nice reach at trying to diss a New York Knick player. Best of luck hating

Willis is one of my fav players, hating on him isn't my agenda at all. Showcasing athleticism from the era he played in (which ultimately can only serve to add credence to his reputation) is what I'm on about.
Old 08-22-2012, 12:06 AM   #6
CavaliersFTW
5-time NBA All-Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheeBeast
We also have new medical advances, just look at what the German knee procedure did for Kobe
Yes, THAT is legitimate stuff. I have nothing wrong with people using medical technology as reasoning for things like increasing player longevity or reducing injury severity. That isn't what I'm on about, I'm talking about people who think that 60's/70's/80's players were somehow less well-fed and therefore less athletic. The "nutrition" argument is totally baseless. Many players today still have sh*t diets, and players back than didn't have Taco Bell... and elite athleticism was present in both eras. The "modern nutrition" thing is just a weak argument

Last edited by CavaliersFTW : 08-22-2012 at 12:09 AM.
Old 08-22-2012, 12:27 AM   #7
jlauber
3-time NBA All-Star

jlauber is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablejlauber is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablejlauber is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablejlauber is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablejlauber is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablejlauber is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablejlauber is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablejlauber is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablejlauber is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablejlauber is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablejlauber is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Not sure about the "nutrition" argument, but players SMOKED back then. Even Chamberlain did so.
jlauber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 12:29 AM   #8
CavaliersFTW
5-time NBA All-Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlauber
Not sure about the "nutrition" argument, but players SMOKED back then. Even Chamberlain did so.
And players smoke today. It just isn't tobacco.
Old 08-22-2012, 12:44 AM   #9
FF1
Serious playground baller

FF1 is considered somewhat coolFF1 is considered somewhat coolFF1 is considered somewhat cool

http://www.unionversity.com/winning-...56-years-apart

Things change. I also read some article about how middle schoolers are sprinting faster than gold medalists in the early 1900s.
FF1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 12:46 AM   #10
CavaliersFTW
5-time NBA All-Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by FF1
http://www.unionversity.com/winning-...56-years-apart

Things change. I also read some article about how middle schoolers are sprinting faster than gold medalists in the early 1900s.
Oh, cool, did you happen to also come upon the article about 50,000 year old aborigines that were sprinting as fast as Usain Bolt in their bare feet?
Old 08-22-2012, 01:02 AM   #11
andgar923
soundcloud.com/agua-1

andgar923 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterandgar923 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterandgar923 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterandgar923 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterandgar923 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterandgar923 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterandgar923 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterandgar923 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterandgar923 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by CavaliersFTW
http://youtu.be/5SV51pPKpWk

I am sitting on a lot of dunks and athletic plays like this in my archive... and we live in a world where Allen Iverson was addicted to McDonalds, Rodman was on every drug known to man, and Lamar Odom has a candy addiction... yet I can't tell you how many times I've heard people say "but modern nutrition!" like it's a secret key ingredient to creating athleticism

Honestly, from what I see - freak athletes are freak athletes, simple genetics. And from footage I have, it looks like they've been a part of EVERY nba era, they aren't something new.

I get the idea young fans see small super athletic guards like Westbrook or Rose doing their beastly dunks today and assuming that sh*t would be unfathomable in the 60's/70's - like it would stun the crowd or shell shock that eras defenders or some sh*t. But honestly, it's been done before.

Inb4 enraged teenage 60's/70's era haters

gotta disagree with you.

Modern nutrition in general has improved vastly since then. Hell… I remember it being different then the 80s vividly.

What modern nutrition will do, is help your career in the long run. When you're young and an elite athlete (naturally) you can get away with eating anything. But your body reacts differently over time.

It is a FACT that nutrition has improved, along with other shit like training, medicine etc.etc.

I do agree that there's always been great athletes. Athletes in general haven't changed drastically, the game has. There was always athletes that could jump over cars (people), had 40 inch verts, could run like the wind, but

A. We don't have the footage
B. The game was different

What modern training and dieting have done, is aid in an athlete's longevity, health and athleticism.
andgar923 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 01:21 AM   #12
CavaliersFTW
5-time NBA All-Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by anonymous neg
you should go back to hating on euroleague loser, its all that youre good for, pathetic miserable lowlife

Old 08-22-2012, 02:08 AM   #13
KyrieTheFuture
College superstar

KyrieTheFuture has a terrific reputationKyrieTheFuture has a terrific reputationKyrieTheFuture has a terrific reputationKyrieTheFuture has a terrific reputationKyrieTheFuture has a terrific reputationKyrieTheFuture has a terrific reputation

The nutrition part is ridiculous. You think these ghetto stars were getting a good diet? Fast food isn't gonna make you jump higher
KyrieTheFuture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 02:13 AM   #14
senelcoolidge
College star

senelcoolidge has not been impressing people

The NBA has always had great athletes since it first began. No surprise. Guys back in the 60's, 70's and past decades were all good to great athletes. Sure they didn't have the modern training, it was just natural gifts. It shouldn't surprise people that guys back than were just as athletic as guys today.
senelcoolidge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 02:47 AM   #15
G-train
3-time NBA All-Star

G-train has an incredible reputation hereG-train has an incredible reputation hereG-train has an incredible reputation hereG-train has an incredible reputation hereG-train has an incredible reputation hereG-train has an incredible reputation hereG-train has an incredible reputation here

Cant tell me these old dudes were downing protein shakes, creatine and whatever else as well as working out on the same equipment and with same programs as modern day athletes.
I think some ISHERs are not aware of what it takes diet/exercise wise to be an NBA player.
G-train is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: