Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Streetball Forum

Streetball Forum Streetball Message Board - street basketball and streetball forum

Old 08-23-2012, 03:42 AM   #1
BarneyStinson
I airball my layups

Default When did you start playing basketball?

Hey,

When did you guys start to play basketball? How good are you guys now when playing a 5 on 5 game? How did you guys become good? Practice by yourself or just by playing pick up?
BarneyStinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 10:10 AM   #2
Rake2204
7-time NBA All-Star

Default Re: When did you start playing basketball?

I began playing organized basketball in 3rd grade.

I think how good I am at playing 5-on-5 has to do with the ability of my opponents. I believe I'm well versed enough now to excel in many 5-on-5 games. At the same time, I think I've established my skills well enough to hang in games where everyone else may be superior to me, though I do not come across that situation very frequently, as I do not live in a minor league or Division I basketball hotbed.

I became skilled through many years of all forms of practice, play, exercise, and commitment. I shot by myself, I drilled with others, I played on official teams, I played in rec. leagues, I played pick-up, I worked on ball-handling skills in my garage, I jumped rope, I lifted weights, I set goals, I ran, I did sprints, I ate right. I'm not sure anyone that responds in this thread is going to have a simple answer as to how they became good ballplayers. It's almost always going to be a grand culmination of various forms of practice, discipline and motivation.

Last edited by Rake2204 : 08-23-2012 at 10:14 AM.
Rake2204 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 12:51 PM   #3
JellyBean
College superstar

I started playing when I was in the 4th grade.

I am decent when it comes to playing 5v5 settings. I am not a ball hog so I bring balance to whatever team I play on. If I have a dominate player on my team, which my buddy is, I bring that balance. He likes to shoot, where I like to rebound, pass, get a few pts, and play defense. If I am playing on a team and we do not have a lot of scoring, I might score the first 8-9 pts, and let my other teammates get the remaining pts in a game up to 15.

I got pretty good through practice on my own, by playing against high school or college players (when I was younger), and by playing in high school and rec leagues. I even tried out for UConn back in the day when we had Chris Smith/Cliff Robinson/Phil Gamble. I was a student at UConn (1987-1992) and there were open tryouts. I figured that I had some game, why not! That was my wake up call.

Being 6'4"-6'5" in high school, you are the man. In college it is a whole new ball game.
JellyBean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 02:45 PM   #4
ILLsmak
Life goes on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarneyStinson
Hey,

When did you guys start to play basketball? How good are you guys now when playing a 5 on 5 game? How did you guys become good? Practice by yourself or just by playing pick up?

I played basketball on a team in 4th grade, but I was terrible. I was a sickly child, though, and I was like 80 pounds. Even though I was fast, I could hardly get the ball over the rim.

In 6th grade I started playing for real, but I never stayed on a team for long. Looking back, I was stupid. I wanted them to see how good I was as soon as I played. I didn't want to come off the bench.

But yeah, I was never the type of player who people would see and say I was good. The people who played with me a lot knew. I had one of those awkward Antoine Walker/Stacy Augmon type games. I never did any drills. I played street ball and with my friends. The only time I played by myself was waiting for a game.

My brain is visual spatial, though, so I don't really learn through building blocks like drills. It's just kind of an epiphany thing. When I try to think or master a certain thing, it throws off my intuition.

-Smak
ILLsmak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 03:04 PM   #5
Rake2204
7-time NBA All-Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILLsmak
I played basketball on a team in 4th grade, but I was terrible. I was a sickly child, though, and I was like 80 pounds. Even though I was fast, I could hardly get the ball over the rim.
Ha, yes, good times. I played 3rd and 4th grade basketball in sweatpants. Like you, I was also pretty quick in comparison to my competition. But I was also smart.

For instance, I realized very early on back then that point guards would call plays then mindlessly throw the ball wherever the play dictated. So, as simple as it sounds, I'd just wait for the kid to call a play, turn around, see who was moving upward, then I'd more less walk into the passing lane and steal the ball. Of course, I'd then take off speed dribbling down the court, never slowing down. And then, in lieu of a nice layup, I'd more or less chuck the ball off the backboard, which would have been great if I had Shawn Kemp trailing the play. Instead, it was always a young teammate named Baby Food who was trailing, making monster truck noises the whole way.
Rake2204 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 05:39 PM   #6
ILLsmak
Life goes on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rake2204
Ha, yes, good times. I played 3rd and 4th grade basketball in sweatpants. Like you, I was also pretty quick in comparison to my competition. But I was also smart.

For instance, I realized very early on back then that point guards would call plays then mindlessly throw the ball wherever the play dictated. So, as simple as it sounds, I'd just wait for the kid to call a play, turn around, see who was moving upward, then I'd more less walk into the passing lane and steal the ball. Of course, I'd then take off speed dribbling down the court, never slowing down. And then, in lieu of a nice layup, I'd more or less chuck the ball off the backboard, which would have been great if I had Shawn Kemp trailing the play. Instead, it was always a young teammate named Baby Food who was trailing, making monster truck noises the whole way.

haha. It's funny because when I was in 4th grade I didn't know shit about bball conceptually. I taught myself a lot of stuff, though. From what I remember in 4th grade it was really chaotic. They weren't running plays it was more like roll the ball out and everyone jumps on it.

Also funny was that I never worked on my handles or my jumper. I could get by people easily and when they got in front of me I'd just throw up a crazy floater. I also understood what people liked to do on both offense and D and could stop it or get around it.

Despite being shorter than almost everyone, I mastered posting up. I'd always sit around thinking MAN IF I WAS ONLY A FOOT TALLER...

Still, it's fun even now, to take people who are much taller than me into the post and just house them. I guess I ruined my skillset by having my favorite player be Shaq and not someone like MJ or AI.

-Smak
ILLsmak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 12:56 AM   #7
C_lake2802
I airball my layups

Started hooping when i was in 3rd grade for a rec team. Rode the bench cuz i was terrible. I had no idea how to play all i was good at was free throws lol.

My Dad and brother pretty much kicked my ass on a weekly basis till i was about in 8th grade.

Got pretty good by taking a year off from competitve ball and just did nothing but practice on my hoop outside my house by myself. I watched and1, nba, college and just got addicted to being better.

Started playing pick up again with college players at the base my highschool years, and just honed my skills from there. I practiced all the time, but im no where near where i though i would be. But that's life nothing guaranteed. Still love playing despite having job & kid. and still have same desire as if ive just started.

Nowadays, I have plenty of knowledge and skills, and i just try to help other kids at the park with their game. Because you wouldn't believe the type of advice some ppl give them

Last edited by C_lake2802 : 08-25-2012 at 12:58 AM.
C_lake2802 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 05:51 AM   #8
Stuckey
ifirtworld

I started when I was 17. I would practice jumpshots and set shots with friends during lunchbreak in highschool. Eventually I joined in on the pick up games. I knew nothing about plays, pick n rolls, none of that until I started watching NBA. I learned a few things here and there from the commentators.

The following summer I practiced shooting religiously, copied a few MJ moves like the ball fake and drive, the turnaround jumper but mostly shooting.

I'm physically inferior to most of my competition so I'm strictly and Steve Kerr type of player
Stuckey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 09:41 AM   #9
CarlosBoozer
"Boozer"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuckey
I started when I was 17. I would practice jumpshots and set shots with friends during lunchbreak in highschool. Eventually I joined in on the pick up games. I knew nothing about plays, pick n rolls, none of that until I started watching NBA. I learned a few things here and there from the commentators.

The following summer I practiced shooting religiously, copied a few MJ moves like the ball fake and drive, the turnaround jumper but mostly shooting.

I'm physically inferior to most of my competition so I'm strictly and Steve Kerr type of player
Same! I started around 17 playing with my sister's boyfriend and his friends who were pretty good. I was mainly a defender even though I was only 5'7 but I had pretty long arms which helped. My only offense was mid range shots but I started getting better at driving and my dribbling vastly improved after lots of practice.
CarlosBoozer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 11:32 AM   #10
Jyap9675
True Point Guard

I still remember the time when the basketball felt like 50 kgs in my hands and I had to push the ball from my stomach just to shoot the ball
Jyap9675 is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: