Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 08-23-2012, 01:11 PM   #16
bagelred
Weird

bagelred is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablebagelred is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablebagelred is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablebagelred is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablebagelred is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablebagelred is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablebagelred is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablebagelred is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablebagelred is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablebagelred is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablebagelred is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable
Default Re: Texas judge warns of Civil War if Obama wins

Quote:
Originally Posted by niko
Shouldn't we be at war now then?

You're thinking too logically.
bagelred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 01:11 PM   #17
Is He Ill
Cowboys & Spurs

Is He Ill is considered somewhat coolIs He Ill is considered somewhat coolIs He Ill is considered somewhat cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freedom Kid7
To be fair, he actually did say that a small business owner did not necessarily build his/her business.

You didn't do it by yourself is what I gathered. There are other people that help you to make it possible. He's not saying it was handed on a platter, that's flat out horsesh*t.
Is He Ill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 01:19 PM   #18
Freedom Kid7
Lazy Bulls fan

Freedom Kid7 is a pretty well-respected posterFreedom Kid7 is a pretty well-respected posterFreedom Kid7 is a pretty well-respected posterFreedom Kid7 is a pretty well-respected poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Is He Ill
You didn't do it by yourself is what I gathered. There are other people that help you to make it possible. He's not saying it was handed on a platter, that's flat out horsesh*t.
Eh, you're probably right. I guess he just didn't word it correctly so people got the wrong vibe
Freedom Kid7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 01:25 PM   #19
JtotheIzzo
Admlnlstrator

JtotheIzzo is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJtotheIzzo is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJtotheIzzo is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJtotheIzzo is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJtotheIzzo is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJtotheIzzo is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJtotheIzzo is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJtotheIzzo is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJtotheIzzo is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJtotheIzzo is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJtotheIzzo is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Eh, you're probably right. I guess he just didn't word it correctly so people got the wrong vibe

No actually what he said was very clear and logical if you listen to the whole thing, sadly it was chopped up and taken out of context to fill a media cycle with negativity.

This judge is a f*cking idiot, spewing nonsense, and the fact that someone with this level of intelligence and common sense is a judge in a state with the death penalty is pretty f*cking pathetic.
JtotheIzzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 01:31 PM   #20
REACTION
HYRYSICPT?

REACTION has an incredible reputation hereREACTION has an incredible reputation hereREACTION has an incredible reputation hereREACTION has an incredible reputation hereREACTION has an incredible reputation hereREACTION has an incredible reputation hereREACTION has an incredible reputation here

It's the West Nile Virus talking. I heard it can cause hallucinations.
REACTION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 02:06 PM   #21
rufuspaul
Kubla Kemba

rufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Judge Head discusses bodily fluids
rufuspaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 02:52 PM   #22
KevinNYC
Toronto Mayor Rob Ford

KevinNYC is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKevinNYC is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKevinNYC is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKevinNYC is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKevinNYC is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKevinNYC is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKevinNYC is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKevinNYC is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKevinNYC is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKevinNYC is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKevinNYC is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ23forever
Yeah, it's fun to pretend that the GOP has a monopoly on stupid. You get to be "outraged" about it, and then you smile and nod when Nancy Pelosi says you have to pass bills before you read them, or the Mayor of New York says the entire nation's police officers should go on strike because of one shooting, or Janet Napolitano makes a fool of herself AGAIN, or Obama repeatedly insults large groups of Americans with asinine comments about "clinging to guns and religion" or by telling them the small company they busted their ass to build was actually handed to them on a platter by someone else. Take your partisan fuckery and shove it up your ass.

The Mayor of New York is a Republican. Thanks for the completely nonpartisan post.
KevinNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 02:57 PM   #23
Duderonomy
Nothing but NETS

Duderonomy has not been impressing people

Duderonomy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 02:59 PM   #24
bagelred
Weird

bagelred is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablebagelred is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablebagelred is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablebagelred is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablebagelred is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablebagelred is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablebagelred is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablebagelred is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablebagelred is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablebagelred is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablebagelred is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duderonomy

Actually it was the 8 years before Obama that destroyed our country. But keep posting funny cartoons.
bagelred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 03:15 PM   #25
-p.tiddy-
the Sho Kosugi of ISH

-p.tiddy- is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable-p.tiddy- is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable-p.tiddy- is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable-p.tiddy- is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable-p.tiddy- is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable-p.tiddy- is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable-p.tiddy- is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable-p.tiddy- is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable-p.tiddy- is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable-p.tiddy- is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable-p.tiddy- is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by bagelred
Actually it was the 8 years before Obama that destroyed our country. But keep posting funny cartoons.
why do I not feel "destroyed" right now?
-p.tiddy- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 03:16 PM   #26
KevinNYC
Toronto Mayor Rob Ford

KevinNYC is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKevinNYC is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKevinNYC is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKevinNYC is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKevinNYC is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKevinNYC is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKevinNYC is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKevinNYC is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKevinNYC is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKevinNYC is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKevinNYC is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:

I put Obama's full quote below. From it, you can see that Obama was talked about the fact that individual economic success takes place on top of a base of infrastructure like roads, bridges, the education system, etc. The background to this is the idea that is being pushed that the government does not help create jobs or help businesses. If you look at the bolded part below, you see that he screwed up a sentence or too.
He also mentions individual help you might have gotten along the way. I don't know if that was written that way (if so the speechwriter should be fired being ambiguious) or if Obama was paraphrasing, but the way it's worded left an opening for opponents if they are unscrupulous to take advantage and twist his meaning. Guess what, they did.

If you look at the bold sentence and replace "that" with "those roads and bridges" there would have been no ambiguity and his rhetoric would have been more precise.

Also this is one of those things that were not at all controversial to the people who heard the whole speech. It became a controversy several days later, when they pulled out the misleading quote. This happens a lot. Sometimes, a politician says something that is clearly a joke, but gets reported straight later on. Or it becomes controversial when somebody puts it in another context. The most famous example of this is the one about Al Gore and the Internet. The audience he was speaking to understood he was talking about work in did in Congress (you can argue if he's giving himself credit), but he obviously wasn't talking about the technology and nobody in that audience was confused for a second.

Quote:
“But you know what, I’m not going to see us gut the investments that grow our economy to give tax breaks to me or Mr. Romney or folks who don’t need them. So I’m going to reduce the deficit in a balanced way. We’ve already made a trillion dollars’ worth of cuts. We can make another trillion or trillion-two, and what we then do is ask for the wealthy to pay a little bit more. (Applause.) And, by the way, we’ve tried that before — a guy named Bill Clinton did it. We created 23 million new jobs, turned a deficit into a surplus, and rich people did just fine. We created a lot of millionaires.

There are a lot of wealthy, successful Americans who agree with me — because they want to give something back. They know they didn’t — look, if you’ve been successful, you didn’t get there on your own. You didn’t get there on your own. I’m always struck by people who think, well, it must be because I was just so smart. There are a lot of smart people out there. It must be because I worked harder than everybody else. Let me tell you something — there are a whole bunch of hardworking people out there. (Applause.)

If you were successful, somebody along the line gave you some help. There was a great teacher somewhere in your life. Somebody helped to create this unbelievable American system that we have that allowed you to thrive. Somebody invested in roads and bridges. If you’ve got a business — you didn’t build that. Somebody else made that happen. The Internet didn’t get invented on its own. Government research created the Internet so that all the companies could make money off the Internet.

The point is, is that when we succeed, we succeed because of our individual initiative, but also because we do things together.”

As to the point of Obama's claim. I'm spent most of my career in web technology, I would be doing something else if the government didn't fund all that early work on the internet. My brother owns a business that imports and ships all over the country. Without all those roads and bridges, he wouldn't be able to do that or his costs would be higher.

By the way, I hear that the "You didn't build that" is going to be the theme of the Republican Convention. No joke.

Last edited by KevinNYC : 08-23-2012 at 03:29 PM.
Old 08-23-2012, 03:24 PM   #27
KevinNYC
Toronto Mayor Rob Ford

There was even a guy in the Wall Street Journal recently who tried to claim that private industry created the internet. Unfortunately for him, the computer scientists and authors he cited all still alive and shot him down pretty quickly.
http://news.cnet.com/8301-1023_3-574...erf-disagrees/
Quote:
Q: In his Wall Street Journal column, Gordon Crovitz writes that the federal government's involvement in the creation of the Internet was modest. Does that jibe with your recollection?
Vint Cerf: No. The United States government via ARPA started the project. (Bob Kahn initiated the Internetting project when he joined ARPA in late 1972. He had been principal architect of the ARPANET IMP (packet switch) while at BBN.

Bob invited me to work with him on open networking in the spring of 1973. We also both worked on the ARPANET project starting in 1968. ARPANET was funded through 1990 by ARPA and other USG agencies. The Internet work was funded from 1973 to about 1995 (and beyond) by ARPA, NSF, DOE, NASA among others. It took 10 years of work to get from the original paper published in May 1974 to the rollout of the Internet operationally on January 1, 1983. .....
The U.S. government, including ARPA, NSF, DOE, NASA among others absolutely facilitated, underwrote, and pioneered the development of the Internet. The private sector engaged around 12 years into the program (about 1984-85) and was very much involved in powering the spread of the system. But none of this would have happened without this research support.
Crovitz also writes approvingly of this blogger's quote (from 1999): "The Internet, in fact, reaffirms the basic free market critique of large government. Here for 30 years the government had an immensely useful protocol for transferring information, TCP/IP, but it languished...In less than a decade, private concerns have taken that protocol and created one of the most important technological revolutions of the millennia." Since you developed the TCP/IP protocol, I'd like to know your reaction.
Cerf: I would happily fertilize my tomatoes with Crovitz' assertion.

http://www.latimes.com/business/mone...,5052169.story
Quote:
Gordon Crovitz of the Wall Street Journal's editorial page reopens the ancient debate over who invented the Internet with a column Monday calling out the notion that it was the government as an "urban legend."

And while I'm gratified in a sense that he cites my book about Xerox PARC, "Dealers of Lightning," to support his case, it's my duty to point out that he's wrong. My book bolsters, not contradicts, the argument that the Internet had its roots in the ARPANet, a government project. So let's look at where Crovitz goes awry
Old 08-23-2012, 03:28 PM   #28
Take Your Lumps
Ho Ho Ho

Take Your Lumps has an incredible reputation hereTake Your Lumps has an incredible reputation hereTake Your Lumps has an incredible reputation hereTake Your Lumps has an incredible reputation hereTake Your Lumps has an incredible reputation hereTake Your Lumps has an incredible reputation hereTake Your Lumps has an incredible reputation here

There will be civil war.

Unless there is a chick-fil-a "protest" going on that week. In which case, they will be too busy filling their food holes with fried chicken sandwiches.
Take Your Lumps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 03:55 PM   #29
KevinNYC
Toronto Mayor Rob Ford

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinNYC
By the way, I hear that the "You didn't build that" is going to be the theme of the Republican Convention. No joke.

The Washington Post's fact checker asks

Quote:
Can an entire convention be built around a grammatical error?

We wondered about that as we watched the first night of the Republican Convention. From House Speaker John A. Boehner to RNC Chairman Reince Priebus to Ann Romney, speaker after speaker made reference to Obama’s statement that “If you’ve got a business — you didn’t build that. Somebody else made that happen.”

When Ann Romney declared that her husband “was not handed success — he built it,” the delegates even began chanting “We built it” — which in fact was the official theme for the convention on Tuesday. As our former colleague Peter Baker tweeted, “If Obama had a nickel for every time a Republican quoted his “didn’t build it” line, that would take care of the whole national debt problem.”

We originally gave Romney’s use of the phrase Three Pinocchios.....

However, in light of the GOP’s repeated misuse of this Obama quote in speech after speech, we feel compelled to increase the Pinocchio rating to Four. (Warning to Democrats: You will get the same scrutiny of out-of-context Romney quotes next week. It’s really a silly thing on which to base a campaign.)
Old 08-29-2012, 04:08 PM   #30
Clifton
talk less, say more

Clifton is considered somewhat coolClifton is considered somewhat cool

Quote:
As long as people have food on their plates there will be no Civil War...
And cable television, and internet, and birth control.
Clifton is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: