Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Toronto Raptors Forum

Toronto Raptors Forum Toronto Raptors message board - Toronto Raptors forum

Old 08-25-2012, 05:40 PM   #16
T-Low
College superstar

T-Low is considered somewhat coolT-Low is considered somewhat coolT-Low is considered somewhat cool
Default Re: Score Article: Bargnani's Impressive Defensive Numbers

Quote:
Originally Posted by el gringos
that is hilarious and sad. Just so you know the thunder would give you I ibaka for Bargnani in a second- and they'd laugh at you the whole time.

I think they have enough scoring between Durant, Westbrook and Harden...
T-Low is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 07:42 PM   #17
RaininThrees
Meats Don't Clash

RaininThrees is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRaininThrees is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRaininThrees is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRaininThrees is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRaininThrees is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRaininThrees is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRaininThrees is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRaininThrees is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRaininThrees is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qwyjibo
If anything, I'm hoping he can become an efficient scorer where that part of his game can somewhat offset his crap overall defense. He's getting to the line more which helps but his 3pt % has taken a nosedive and he's still throwing up almost 4 attempts per game. I don't know what happened there.

As of right now, I wouldn't feel comfortable playing him 35 minutes per game and having the intention of being a good team. But we all know that doesn't matter much. "Mediocrity with the illusion of contention", the Colangelo motto.

Really, I'm hoping the guys they put around him are able to mask his inabilities on D. I think you can 'hide' a guy to a certain extent in the right schemes, with the right people on the floor.

bokes - I'm not sure it's an effort thing with him at all, and I think it boils right down to b-ball IQ (which goes hand in hand with the help D issues). I mean, it's pretty tough to go 100% when you're busy trying to figure out where to be in the first place.

I'm going to ignore the other points out there about the importance of help D because, well... that's pretty dumb.
RaininThrees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 11:17 PM   #18
bokes15
Playoffs!

bokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

I'm not saying at any point and time he was a GREAT help defender or a GREAT rebounder, but what I am saying is there was definitely a point and time (especially the latter half of the 08-09 season) where he put in a lot more effort and it showed.. You'd be surprised at how much of a difference effort can make when it comes to things like rebounding and defense. He wouldn't need to be a DPOY candidate to be passable for his position.
bokes15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 12:08 PM   #19
Jballer
Local High School Star

Jballer has decent reputationJballer has decent reputation

Gents - just back from holidays... good article good debate.

1) Agreed this is nothing new.

2) Ibaka vs Barges is kind of the devil you know vs the devil you dont.... im my eyes you end up with a different type of player from a different "more traditional system" with a bunch of premium outside in wing men who can do so much that Toronto cant.... so the numbers are harder to compare....

BUT

3) This will be the season that says a lot cause Barges is no longer our Center in theory... at least as the season progresses.

In theory - Val (35 minutes) Gray (20 minutes) Amir (situational - rotation minutes in).

I assume Barges shifts his 35 minutes to playing the 4 and probably only has situational minutes at the 5. He should no longer be anchoring the paint and rotating on pick/rolls and drives into the paint.

Barges should be man up on the strong side boxing out his opponent for rebounds. His Defence RB average per game should be arond 5.5 assuming my projection of him playing the 4 are correct.

If they are less.....

The other worry is Barges does play the 5 (not as projected) because we have foul troubles in the above mentioned rotation. Amir has always had some troubles this way. Gray rarely gets the call but plays conservative enough he is not often in foul trouble... which leaves the rookie Euro league big man with a reputation for "some knocks" on fouls per game... yet to be determined...

Last edited by Jballer : 08-30-2012 at 12:11 PM.
Jballer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 12:32 PM   #20
bokes15
Playoffs!

bokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Even if Val starts, i'd really be surprised if he cracks 30MPG. I think that he may get something like 20-25MPG, and that this addition doesn't mean (at least not right away) that Bargs won't be playing any Center.
bokes15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 02:08 PM   #21
kmart
No props needed

kmart has an OK reputation so far

There is really no difference between Bargs playing the 4 or him playing the 5. He'll continue to stick to the perimeter on offence and on defence guys like: Amir, Gray, and Val will continue to guard the bigger personal of the opponents big men.
IMO what you see is what you'll get out of Bargs a poor rebounder, average help side defender, and good on offence.
kmart is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: