Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Football Forum

Football Forum Football forum - NFL football forum

Old 08-25-2012, 08:33 PM   #1
franchise#3
Local High School Star

franchise#3 has a near all-star reputation herefranchise#3 has a near all-star reputation herefranchise#3 has a near all-star reputation herefranchise#3 has a near all-star reputation herefranchise#3 has a near all-star reputation herefranchise#3 has a near all-star reputation here
Default NFL Safeties and Racial Profiling

i hear this every gameday, especially during preseason when backups are playing:

"he plays hard every play"
"he's always in position to make a play, but not flashy"
"he's like a QB on defense"
"he understands the game like a coach"
"he's a heady player"
"not fast, but there's no false steps to his game"

now, the above are all things you hear about white players. when they always say these things, they imply that the black players are dumb, undisciplined, lazy or ill-prepared, but athletically superior.
if i was a black safety who played a very sharp game but never got praised for my astute play, i'd be very offended.
i know all of our tribes are not exactly the same, but football commentators don't even try to praise the heady playmaking of black players compared to how often they talk about the smart white guy on the field.
no one ever discusses it. they just go on and on about the smart white players and the not-so-smart, athletic black players--but not blatantly saying it. it's just funny that, of all the places in society, racial stereotypes are open front and center in the nfl. you can see it, but don't dare talk about it.

do you think there are blatant stereotypes in the nfl? or, does everyone always get the praise and criticism they deserve?
franchise#3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 10:32 PM   #2
detroitkid816
Serious playground baller

detroitkid816 has an OK reputation so far
Default Re: NFL Safeties and Racial Profiling

Quote:
Originally Posted by franchise#3
i hear this every gameday, especially during preseason when backups are playing:

"he plays hard every play"
"he's always in position to make a play, but not flashy"
"he's like a QB on defense"
"he understands the game like a coach"
"he's a heady player"
"not fast, but there's no false steps to his game"

now, the above are all things you hear about white players. when they always say these things, they imply that the black players are dumb, undisciplined, lazy or ill-prepared, but athletically superior.
if i was a black safety who played a very sharp game but never got praised for my astute play, i'd be very offended.
i know all of our tribes are not exactly the same, but football commentators don't even try to praise the heady playmaking of black players compared to how often they talk about the smart white guy on the field.
no one ever discusses it. they just go on and on about the smart white players and the not-so-smart, athletic black players--but not blatantly saying it. it's just funny that, of all the places in society, racial stereotypes are open front and center in the nfl. you can see it, but don't dare talk about it.

do you think there are blatant stereotypes in the nfl? or, does everyone always get the praise and criticism they deserve?
it's usually at its worst around draft time, when certain prospects are compared to current or past nfl stars. pretty much every mobile black quarterback is compared to michael vick, really annoying.

probably the most adequate example of stereotyping ever in the nfl is discussion on Andy Dalton or Matt Stafford or Andrew luck or any good young white qb vs Cam Newton. Betwen dalton and newton, even though the passing numbers between the two are almost all in favor of newton, i've read countless comments on thread after thread that argue in favor of dalton in terms of future success as pocket passers, even though dalton is the one who had the training wheels on offense. with newton it's "wait until defensive coordinators get tape on him and start to figure him out". with dalton it's "boy when he gets a full off season and more chemistry with his receivers he'll destroy it" or "when dalton gets the mental aspect of the game down the league better watch out". it's like, did the dude not just set the rookie passing record for yards in a season and yards in a game? it's pretty much blatant racism as you said
detroitkid816 is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: