Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Football Forum

Football Forum Football forum - NFL football forum

Old 09-17-2012, 01:39 AM   #1
Snoop_Cat
Banned

Default End of NY/Tampa Bay reactions

Just curious what everyone's reaction on the end of the game and if it were to happen again were.

Even despite my bias, I think it was very trashy of them of Tampa Bay to go for that. Honestly, the game is over. And the typical protocol is that neither team is going to charge so the offense is completely not expecting it. I agree with Coughlin, this is how people get hurt and shows what kind of a person their coach is.

I hope teams run the score up on them this season.
Snoop_Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 01:52 AM   #2
Jackass18
The Iron Price

Default Re: End of NY/Tampa Bay reactions

I thought it was some cheap, bush league shit. What if Manning got hurt? What if anyone got injured? The guy took a knee right after the snap. It's not like he took the snap and ran around the field. Classless football there.
Jackass18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 04:33 AM   #3
irondarts

I thought it was dirty, cheap, bush league and a complete horseshit thing to do. Schianos comments after the game were pathetic too.
irondarts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 04:34 AM   #4
irondarts

Here's a good article about it:

Greg Schiano is Just Way Out of Line
irondarts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 07:34 AM   #5
blacknapalm
spider 2 y banana

i had no real problem with it. it's not the norm but TB had major discipline problems last year. schiano is trying to change that culture. play until the last whistle. all NY had to do was lower their pad level and meet them. let's not act like TB was going for synchronized chop blocks here. they were simply trying to make a desperation play of dislodging the ball and/or moving the linemen back. it's like a low %, crazy hail mary play except for defense. there's far dirtier plays that happen in every game, every sunday...most of which go unnoticed. little elbows, putting all your weight, shoving and poking in the pile, etc

want to run up the score? fine. when you're in the field of play, be ready. this is akin to a fighter clearly winning a fight by decision but lowering his guard at the end. protect yourself at all times. when TB went into the 3 point stance, you should have seen what was coming.

whatever, i can see the other side. 'unwritten rule' or whatever but i don't think it was that dirty at all.

Last edited by blacknapalm : 09-17-2012 at 07:42 AM.
blacknapalm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 07:43 AM   #6
niko
I Run NY.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blacknapalm
i had no real problem with it. it's not the norm but TB had major discipline problems last year. schiano is trying to change that culture. play until the last whistle. all NY had to do was lower their pad level and meet them. let's not act like TB was going for synchronized chop blocks here. they were simply trying to make a desperation play of dislodging the ball and/or moving the linemen back. it's like a low %, crazy hail mary play except for defense. there's far dirtier plays that happen in every game, every sunday...most of which go unnoticed. little elbows, putting all your weight, shoving and poking in the pile, etc

want to run up the score? fine. when you're in the field of play, be ready. this is akin to a fighter clearly winning a fight by decision but lowering his guard at the end. protect yourself at all times. when TB went into the 3 point stance, you should have seen what was coming.

He is trying to change their culture of major discipline problems by asking them to go into a cheap shot move at the last minute? It's stupid. Plus it doesn't work, so what was the point? Start a fight?

Your example is stupid, it's more akin to shaking hands after the fight and the guy runs over to hit you. the game was done. Teams don't do that. Because there is no point to doing it.
niko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 07:52 AM   #7
blacknapalm
spider 2 y banana

Quote:
Originally Posted by niko
He is trying to change their culture of major discipline problems by asking them to go into a cheap shot move at the last minute? It's stupid. Plus it doesn't work, so what was the point? Start a fight?

Your example is stupid, it's more akin to shaking hands after the fight and the guy runs over to hit you. the game was done. Teams don't do that. Because there is no point to doing it.

balls have hit the turf in less flukier ways. you shake hands after the game. when TB lowered their pads and got in a 3 point stance, what are you expecting? i would lower my pads and meet them.

NY's very own antonio pierce said he had no problem with the play either.

EDIT: just heard mike ditka on espn...yet another guy who has no problem with it. it's starting to seem like more former coaches and players are not that outraged about it. tim hasselbeck is the only i've heard that was against it. go ahead and take his side.

let's not act like this was some supreme cheap shot. TB wasn't trying to super punch them in the jewels and chop block them at the same time. far dirtier crap like rabbit punches and face masking happen in the pile all the time.

johnny u would laugh at today's rules. let's go ahead and throw out a bottle of milk, a blanket and a pillow for the QB when the game is in hand. if you're that worried about a victory formation, play your backups or give me an example of when someone got hurt in a similar situation.

oh noes...just heard jaws on espn too. another former nfl player that had no problem with it. he even came up with an example of the ball coming loose on a similar play. he even went so far as saying that coughlin should apologize. now, i think that is just ridiculous.

so far on an espn sample:

no problem with play - golic, jaws, ditka. oh and antonio pierce, the former giant who said giants were overlooked last year. the former giant who still wears giant colors and tweets about giant related stuff all the time. such a giant hater he is.

problem with play - tim hasselbeck, matt hasselbeck's half retarded brother.

Last edited by blacknapalm : 09-17-2012 at 09:39 AM.
Old 09-17-2012, 09:43 AM   #8
niko
I Run NY.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blacknapalm
balls have hit the turf in less flukier ways. you shake hands after the game. when TB lowered their pads and got in a 3 point stance, what are you expecting? i would lower my pads and meet them.

NY's very own antonio pierce said he had no problem with the play either.

EDIT: just heard mike ditka on espn...yet another guy who has no problem with it. it's starting to seem like more former coaches and players are not that outraged about it. tim hasselbeck is the only i've heard that was against it. go ahead and take his side.

let's not act like this was some supreme cheap shot. TB wasn't trying to super punch them in the jewels and chop block them at the same time. far dirtier crap like rabbit punches and face masking happen in the pile all the time.

johnny u would laugh at today's rules. let's go ahead and throw out a bottle of milk, a blanket and a pillow for the QB when the game is in hand. if you're that worried about a victory formation, play your backups or give me an example of when someone got hurt in a similar situation.

oh noes...just heard jaws on espn too. another former nfl player that had no problem with it. he even came up with an example of the ball coming loose on a similar play. he even went so far as saying that coughlin should apologize. now, i think that is just ridiculous.

so far on an espn sample:

no problem with play - golic, jaws, ditka. oh and antonio pierce, the former giant who said giants were overlooked last year. the former giant who still wears giant colors and tweets about giant related stuff all the time. such a giant hater he is.

problem with play - tim hasselbeck, matt hasselbeck's half retarded brother.

ESPN guys are total tools and half of them say things to elicit reaction. Did you just do a poll of ESPN guys as your proof?

And if this was so necessary, where was it in the first half?

It was a bush league stupid play that has nothing to do with "winning" football. You want to see dirty chippy but smart play? Watch the 49ers. Tons of late hits, holding guys up to hit them, all of it stuff they can get away with and that helps them in the game. Sets a tone. Puts the other team on edge.

Bumrushing the last play to make a point is just loser ball. And if this was the Eagles or something i'd get it more because i'd get the **** YOU to set a tone because we'd play them again and every year. But Tampa?
Old 09-17-2012, 09:59 AM   #9
blacknapalm
spider 2 y banana

i'm awake and watching espn. i've given them plenty of shit in the past and hardly watch them. i didn't provide it as proof, just to show that it's not as outrageous as you make it out to be. anybody that has played football knows that if the opposing line drops their pads and gets in a 3 point stance, it might be wise to prepare for a rush. who exactly took the cheap shot? what rule was broken?

this very well could be the only time schiano does this. i don't see how it's any cheaper than anything else in question on a normal game day.

first half? pretty sure NY wasn't getting into a victory formation in the first half since they were losing. barron and foster were playing physical so i don't know why you would bring up the 49ers. it's obvious 49ers are elite at what they do. they're better at gang tackling than just about every team.

schiano is trying to get the guys to buy in and unless you can find a history of TB playing 'dirty', i don't see what the big deal is. this is just getting blown up because of the coach quarrel at the end. like i said, i can see both sides. i'm fine if you think it's cheap or whatever. but dirty? way more dirty stuff happens weekly, legal or illegal. it would be bush league if NY were up two TDs and not one.

you've obviously never played or seen lower level football. they do this all the time. all NY had to was...lower their pads. if college guys can recognize this, i'm sure pros can. unless you're saying pros are some untouchable commodity, i don't see the problem. opposing team drops their pads and gets in a 3 point stance? lower your pads and problem is solved. no one was going to stand there and act surprised at a bull rush. they saw what the line was doing.

whatever, we'll just agree to disagree. just realize i'm not the lone crazy voice on this.

russell wilson had an obvious facemask where his neck was craned and pulled all over the place. nothing was called but apparently that is not a big deal. solid and legal, got away with it = A+

Last edited by blacknapalm : 09-17-2012 at 10:45 AM.
Old 09-17-2012, 10:02 AM   #10
Jailblazers7
will-to-bigness

Seems like a bullshit, sour grapes move to me.
Jailblazers7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 10:11 AM   #11
niko
I Run NY.

Schiano is a dick, he was losing and pissed off and that's why they did that. If it was for a secret edge they could have done it in the first half but they didn't. They were pissed they lost. That's what it was.

People feel the need to defend everything as ok. Sometimes it's just someone being a dick. He was being a dick and i'm going to enjoy watching that team lose week after week.
Old 09-17-2012, 10:52 AM   #12
Rasheed1
3-time NBA All-Star

I have no personal problem with it.... Its a desperado move that isnt likely to help at all.. But I have seen the miracle of the meadow lands play before, so I know its not totally impossible to get the ball back in that situation. they are still trying to find a way to win the game.

on the other hand

I also have no problem with the Giants being angry over it. Coughlin is concerned with the health of his players in that situation, so he is gonna chirp about a play like that..no issue with that.

I dont think its big deal
Rasheed1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 11:31 AM   #13
Playmakers Dad
Local High School Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by niko
Schiano is a dick, he was losing and pissed off and that's why they did that. If it was for a secret edge they could have done it in the first half but they didn't. They were pissed they lost. That's what it was.

People feel the need to defend everything as ok. Sometimes it's just someone being a dick. He was being a dick and i'm going to enjoy watching that team lose week after week.
What are you talking about? Every single player on the Tampa D has their hand in the dirt or was in position to attack the line of scrimmage, this wasn't some surprise. The Giants should have been in position and their line should have treated the player like any other play. He was not being a "dick" he was still trying to win the game, plain and simple.

You're the one that sounds like sour grapes.
Playmakers Dad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 11:48 AM   #14
niko
I Run NY.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Playmakers Dad
What are you talking about? Every single player on the Tampa D has their hand in the dirt or was in position to attack the line of scrimmage, this wasn't some surprise. The Giants should have been in position and their line should have treated the player like any other play. He was not being a "dick" he was still trying to win the game, plain and simple.

You're the one that sounds like sour grapes.
Sour grapes off our victory? Do you need explanation of the term?

I don't think it's a big deal - i just don't share the obsessive need of people to say everything is ok.

Last edited by niko : 09-17-2012 at 11:53 AM.
Old 09-17-2012, 11:58 AM   #15
InspiredLebowski
Roy Hibbert Super Star

If it happened to Luck and the Colts I'd probably be all sorts of pissed, but w/o having any rooting interest in it I'm fine with what Tampa did. I'm not really a fan of it, but I'm not a fan of the Giants just taking the play off either. It was a one possession game, disrupt the snap, recover it, who knows? If it were more than just one score I'd be hoping Schiano'd get fined though.

I get why Coughlin and his team and their fans are pissed, but actually block the play and there's no big deal. Schiano's right in saying you play until the game's over. When it's that close anyway.
InspiredLebowski is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: