Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Old 08-29-2012, 01:47 AM   #1
DirtySanchez
National High School Star

DirtySanchez is considered somewhat coolDirtySanchez is considered somewhat coolDirtySanchez is considered somewhat cool
Default Ralph Sampson Hall of Fame worthy?

He had the miracle shot but I remember In the WCF a couple All Star years and then he got hurt and disappeared. Why is he in? I mean if he never got hurt yeah he would of had a great career but with Sampson it's more of what it could have been.

Somebody think he should be in? I don't get it. Standards are that low?
DirtySanchez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 01:52 AM   #2
SonOfMattGeiger
I brick open layups

SonOfMattGeiger is starting to rub some people the wrong way
Default Re: Ralph Sampson Hall of Fame worthy?

college career. one of the best ncaa talents ever
SonOfMattGeiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 01:54 AM   #3
DirtySanchez

DirtySanchez is considered somewhat coolDirtySanchez is considered somewhat coolDirtySanchez is considered somewhat cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonOfMattGeiger
college career. one of the best ncaa talents ever
Yes true but NBA? Is he going in for all the above? If that's the case I understand?
Old 08-29-2012, 01:57 AM   #4
DTreats
Banned

DTreats has a very bad reputationDTreats has a very bad reputationDTreats has a very bad reputationDTreats has a very bad reputation

Why not? He's a great guy, if they're gonna let someone like Allen Iverson in, then Ralphy needs to get in there.
DTreats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 02:10 AM   #5
DirtySanchez

Quote:
Originally Posted by DTreats
Why not? He's a great guy, if they're gonna let someone like Allen Iverson in, then Ralphy needs to get in there.

Iverson had a great career though
Old 08-29-2012, 02:16 AM   #6
SonOfMattGeiger
I brick open layups

SonOfMattGeiger is starting to rub some people the wrong way

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtySanchez
Yes true but NBA? Is he going in for all the above? If that's the case I understand?

I personally agree with you on the notion that he isn't deserving. My buddies and I just made a trip to the HOF last week, and we started talking about the least deserving members. A lot of that convo was regarding Ralph Sampson.

What I can say that he does have going for him, is the three "National Player of the Year" awards in college. That's unlikely to ever be don again, especially considering how if there is someone THAT talented nowadays, they'd probably go pro after 1 or 2 years.

As you mentioned, his NBA career was hampered by injuries. Nonetheless, it was still nothing to be ashamed of. HOF worthy though? I doubt it. 4 ASG appearances, an ASG MVP, one 2nd team ALL NBA, Rookie of the Year. That's really it. It's not like his numbers were MIND BOGGLING either.

So yeah.... I truly think he got in solely of his college days. After all, it's not the NBA HOF, its the BASKETBALL HOF.
SonOfMattGeiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 02:32 AM   #7
Lakers Legend#32
Decent college freshman

Lakers Legend#32 has decent reputation

For his college career, but not for the pros.

Remember when Al McGuire said Ralph was gonna be the greatest baskeketball player of all time?
Lakers Legend#32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 04:18 AM   #8
senelcoolidge
College star

senelcoolidge has not been impressing people

For his college career yes...like Bill Walton. He started off good, but injuries hampered his career and even so I don't think he was NBA HoF worthy. He would just have been an excellent player. Walton was great but that greatness didn't last because of injuries. But for his college career he's a HoFer.
senelcoolidge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 04:37 AM   #9
Kovach
Decent playground baller

Kovach is considered somewhat coolKovach is considered somewhat coolKovach is considered somewhat cool

A 7-footer that injured Bill Hanzlik can keep scoreless for over a quarter is definitely not a HoF material.
Kovach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 04:52 AM   #10
East_Stone_Ya
Gentleman Desperado

East_Stone_Ya is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterEast_Stone_Ya is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterEast_Stone_Ya is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterEast_Stone_Ya is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterEast_Stone_Ya is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterEast_Stone_Ya is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterEast_Stone_Ya is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterEast_Stone_Ya is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterEast_Stone_Ya is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterEast_Stone_Ya is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

simple answer

no
East_Stone_Ya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 01:33 PM   #11
DKLaker
NBA sixth man of the year

DKLaker has not been impressing people

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtySanchez
He had the miracle shot but I remember In the WCF a couple All Star years and then he got hurt and disappeared. Why is he in? I mean if he never got hurt yeah he would of had a great career but with Sampson it's more of what it could have been.

Somebody think he should be in? I don't get it. Standards are that low?

No......it's really sad that his talent disappeared so quickly.
DKLaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 01:39 PM   #12
Rubio2Gasol
College star

Rubio2Gasol has decent reputation

Very sad.

Honestly, Ralph was a great player, even someone like me who loves Hakeem to death , I have to admit Ralph was almost , if not as important as him in 86.

Barring injuries he would have been without a doubt , but overall probably no.
Rubio2Gasol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 01:45 PM   #13
bizil

bizil has a near all-star reputation herebizil has a near all-star reputation herebizil has a near all-star reputation herebizil has a near all-star reputation herebizil has a near all-star reputation herebizil has a near all-star reputation here

With the criteria established for the Naismith HOF then yes. He dominated college basketball in an epic fashion. In the pros, his peak or best value was HOF level. He was redefining what a 7'4 player and PF could be.

But in terms of strictly his NBA career, hell no he isn't an HOFer. Bernard King's pro career SMOKED Sampson's and he's not in. BK's peak or top value had him as most likely a top 10 SF of all time. And arguably the best pure scorer the SF has ever seen. Hell BK has 19,655 points in an injury riddled career. I would really dig the NBA having its own HOF. The Baseball and Pro Football HOF's (as funny acting as they can be at times) at least go off your pro career in the United States. Basketball's HOF is ****ing trick bag is u ask me.

Last edited by bizil : 08-30-2012 at 12:57 PM.
bizil is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 02:22 PM   #14
Haymaker
College superstar

Haymaker is considered somewhat coolHaymaker is considered somewhat coolHaymaker is considered somewhat cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizil
With the criteria established for the Naismith HOF they yes. He dominated college basketball in an epic fashion. In the pros, his peak or best value was HOF level. He was redefining what a 7'4 player and PF could be.

But in terms of strictly his NBA career, hell no he isn't an HOFer. Bernard King's pro career SMOKED Sampson's and he's not in. BK's peak or top value had him as most likely a top SF of all time. And arguably the best pure scorer the SF has ever seen. Hell BK has 19,655 points in an injury riddled career. I would really dig the NBA having its own HOF. The Baseball and Pro Football HOF's (as funny acting as they can be at times) at least go off your pro career in the United States. Basketball's HOF is ****ing trick bag is u ask me.

Same as the boxing HOF. It's a joke.
Haymaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 03:54 PM   #15
JellyBean
College superstar

JellyBean has an incredible reputation hereJellyBean has an incredible reputation hereJellyBean has an incredible reputation hereJellyBean has an incredible reputation hereJellyBean has an incredible reputation hereJellyBean has an incredible reputation here

No. Like others have stated, Ralph had a great college career, he just could not transfer that over to the NBA; injuries. Sad to say about one of my favorite players back in the day, but no HOF for this man.
JellyBean is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: