Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 09-02-2012, 11:20 PM   #31
bmulls
Great college starter

bmulls has a near all-star reputation herebmulls has a near all-star reputation herebmulls has a near all-star reputation herebmulls has a near all-star reputation herebmulls has a near all-star reputation herebmulls has a near all-star reputation here
Default Re: how many pull-ups can you do?

I'm planning on joining the military and I've been hitting the bodyweight stuff seriously hard for the last 4 or 5 months.

I can currently hit at least 25 legit dead hang pullups with fast tempo (no pauses, no hanging around resting). I plateau'd around 15 for a while, then I went to ***** sporting goods and bought a dip belt. Start doing weighted pull ups and your numbers will skyrocket. I can now get 8 with 70 lbs hanging from my waist.

Also started doing muscle ups, my best is 6. I want to get better at these.

edit: **** is Di-ck's sporting goods, the store
bmulls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 11:30 PM   #32
HardwoodLegend
The Magical T-Mac

HardwoodLegend is a pretty well-respected posterHardwoodLegend is a pretty well-respected posterHardwoodLegend is a pretty well-respected poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by plowking
Depends on which way you gauge it important. I've always found pulling up the most weight for one rep more impressive in an exercise like this. The heavier you are, the longer your limbs are, the harder it is for you to pull up.

I've stopped doing sets to fail with pull ups and instead strap on about 35lbs on a belt, and try to get 4-6 out. Haven't tested my bodyweight max in a while.

Are you looking to pack on mass? How tall are you, and what is your goal weight?

I'm aiming for a lean, relatively "normal" looking physique. That's why I'll probably never go for weighted pullups. Don't want my biceps and back exploding too much.
HardwoodLegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 11:37 PM   #33
plowking
well DENG

plowking is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterplowking is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterplowking is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterplowking is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterplowking is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterplowking is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterplowking is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterplowking is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterplowking is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by HardwoodLegend
Are you looking to pack on mass? How tall are you, and what is your goal weight?

I'm aiming for a lean, relatively "normal" looking physique. That's why I'll probably never go for weighted pullups. Don't want my biceps and back exploding too much.

I've ranged from 215lbs to about 235lbs the last 2 years, just depending on what time of the year it is and if I'm playing certain sports. Last 4 or 5 months I've been sitting on 215lbs, and don't think I'm going to be changing that any time soon. I'm 6'3, or there about. Maybe 6'4.

I've been training pretty seriously the last 4 years. I'm happy with mass/size and most of the time bodyfat. Just looking to get stronger now. Though its hard trying to do that and maintain the same weight. So I'm doing mini bulks and cuts here and there. If I put on too much weight, I'll become obsessed with staying bigger, and I tend to get more back injuries then. At 215lbs I've found its great for me. Never injured, and decent enough for basketball.
plowking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 11:48 PM   #34
SourPatchKids
Banned

SourPatchKids is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSourPatchKids is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSourPatchKids is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSourPatchKids is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSourPatchKids is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSourPatchKids is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSourPatchKids is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSourPatchKids is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSourPatchKids is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSourPatchKids is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSourPatchKids is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

That many.
SourPatchKids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 11:49 PM   #35
Jyap9675
True Point Guard

Jyap9675 has decent reputation

Wider pull ups are harder too.

Usually do three sets, with first set I could do 10 wide grip then 8, 7 on the last two.

Narrow ones are easier of course. And form is important, I see guys do like baby pullups in the gym all the time.
Jyap9675 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 11:56 PM   #36
Meticode
Cavaliers Fan 1997

Meticode is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMeticode is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMeticode is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMeticode is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMeticode is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMeticode is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMeticode is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMeticode is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMeticode is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMeticode is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMeticode is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazard
I love hearing shit like this, stay with it. Also for anyone interested in training strictly body weight exercises, check out the book "Never Gymless" by Ross Enamait.
Not really, but thanks. Right now I'm doing BodyRock.TV and so far I like the results I'm seeing in the short time I've done it. (2 weeks?) I'm going to stick with this for 2 months and see what happens.

I'm like so close right now. When I contract my abs I can feel the definition in them, I just have a small layer of fat I have to get rid of still. LOL

Last edited by Meticode : 09-03-2012 at 12:00 AM.
Meticode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 11:56 PM   #37
Juges8932
Land of Ownst

Juges8932 has an incredible reputation hereJuges8932 has an incredible reputation hereJuges8932 has an incredible reputation hereJuges8932 has an incredible reputation hereJuges8932 has an incredible reputation hereJuges8932 has an incredible reputation hereJuges8932 has an incredible reputation here

Quote:
Originally Posted by rezznor
i've started doing L-seat pull ups now to give myself variety and more of a challenge.

Yeah, I like doing those a lot.

One thing that I like to do as an ab exercise is to:

1) Get to the point in the pull-up to where your elbows are at 90 degrees.
2) Hold this position firm, making sure your upper body does not move AT ALL.
3) With a controlled motion, bring your legs up and around, together, in a circular motion. I usually swing from down to left to up to right to down and then reverse it the other way.
4) 3-5 sets of 10 reps. Will get your abs shredded and strong as ****.
Juges8932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 12:25 AM   #38
HardwoodLegend
The Magical T-Mac

HardwoodLegend is a pretty well-respected posterHardwoodLegend is a pretty well-respected posterHardwoodLegend is a pretty well-respected poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juges8932
Yeah, I like doing those a lot.

One thing that I like to do as an ab exercise is to:

1) Get to the point in the pull-up to where your elbows are at 90 degrees.
2) Hold this position firm, making sure your upper body does not move AT ALL.
3) With a controlled motion, bring your legs up and around, together, in a circular motion. I usually swing from down to left to up to right to down and then reverse it the other way.
4) 3-5 sets of 10 reps. Will get your abs shredded and strong as ****.

Can you get the same results from a Power Tower? Resting your arms on those pads:

Or, does the 90 degree pullup position add even more stress on the abs? I would imagine it might.
Old 09-03-2012, 12:27 AM   #39
HardwoodLegend
The Magical T-Mac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jyap9675
form is important, I see guys do like baby pullups in the gym all the time.

True. Sometimes my form falls apart toward the end of my sets, and I'll end up doing like 75% of a pull-up (can't get my chest to the bar).

But, it's all about building yourself up to that point.
Old 09-03-2012, 02:37 PM   #40
LT Ice Cream
Warriors Til I Die

LT Ice Cream has decent reputationLT Ice Cream has decent reputation

I've been doing pull ups all my life, so:

24 dead arm pull-ups

26 dead arm chin-ups

14 muscle ups

16 clapping pull ups
LT Ice Cream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 02:45 PM   #41
Is He Ill
Cowboys & Spurs

Is He Ill is considered somewhat coolIs He Ill is considered somewhat coolIs He Ill is considered somewhat cool

17 pull ups with a 45 lb vest

24 chin ups with a 45 lb vest

Haven't done any without a vest in 2 years. I highly recommend getting one and adding at least 1-2 lbs per week. Keep the reps consistent, you hardly notice the extra resistance from week to week. You will make huge gains. I do all my bodyweight exercises with it. Dips, hanging pikes, pushups, pistol squats, etc.

Last edited by Is He Ill : 09-03-2012 at 02:50 PM.
Is He Ill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 02:48 PM   #42
East_Stone_Ya
Gentleman Desperado

East_Stone_Ya is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterEast_Stone_Ya is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterEast_Stone_Ya is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterEast_Stone_Ya is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterEast_Stone_Ya is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterEast_Stone_Ya is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterEast_Stone_Ya is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterEast_Stone_Ya is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterEast_Stone_Ya is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterEast_Stone_Ya is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

probably around 9-12 max
East_Stone_Ya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 02:50 PM   #43
Rake2204
7-time NBA All-Star

Rake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Does dead arm mean letting your body come entirely down so your arms are straight? If so, I do not have a number on that. If normal pull-ups require arms coming down to a 90 degree angle, I can 20 in that fashion.
Rake2204 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 02:55 PM   #44
CeltsGarlic
Real quick

CeltsGarlic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableCeltsGarlic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableCeltsGarlic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableCeltsGarlic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableCeltsGarlic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableCeltsGarlic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableCeltsGarlic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableCeltsGarlic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableCeltsGarlic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableCeltsGarlic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableCeltsGarlic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

CeltsGarlic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 03:11 PM   #45
alenleomessi
GloryhunterSinceThe90s

alenleomessi is starting to rub some people the wrong way

here is a good inspirational video for the more extreme guys

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GhfLN...&feature=g-u-u
alenleomessi is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: