Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 09-03-2012, 06:22 PM   #46
NotYetGreat
Great college starter

NotYetGreat has a terrific reputationNotYetGreat has a terrific reputationNotYetGreat has a terrific reputationNotYetGreat has a terrific reputationNotYetGreat has a terrific reputationNotYetGreat has a terrific reputation
Default Re: how many pull-ups can you do?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SourPatchKids

That many.

So just 1?
NotYetGreat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 07:36 PM   #47
Mach_3
Local High School Star

Mach_3 has decent reputationMach_3 has decent reputation

between 40-45 i suppose. I never really did pull-ups as the first thing i did when i walked into the gym i always saved em for last to completely burn out my uppper body.
Mach_3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 07:40 PM   #48
RaininTwos
Betrayed

RaininTwos is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRaininTwos is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRaininTwos is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRaininTwos is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRaininTwos is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRaininTwos is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRaininTwos is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRaininTwos is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRaininTwos is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

even when i was fat i could do like 8-12....was i doing them wrong or something? are people in here doing extreme pullups or after their arms are depleted by other exercise?

or......

is this a thread in an alternate reality where people are being honest???
RaininTwos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 10:07 PM   #49
HardwoodLegend
The Magical T-Mac

HardwoodLegend is a pretty well-respected posterHardwoodLegend is a pretty well-respected posterHardwoodLegend is a pretty well-respected poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaininTwos
even when i was fat i could do like 8-12....was i doing them wrong or something? are people in here doing extreme pullups or after their arms are depleted by other exercise?

Did you touch the bar with your chest, and on the way down did you straighten your arms out completely? That's a true pullup.

I've just always shyed away from them until the past two weeks. I stuck to the lat pulldown machine, but I'm getting away from that now and bossin it up.

I begin my workouts with pullups, because one of Arnold's recommendations is to start with your weakness as your muscles are the most responsive to the exercise.
HardwoodLegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 10:10 PM   #50
RaininTwos
Betrayed

RaininTwos is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRaininTwos is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRaininTwos is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRaininTwos is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRaininTwos is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRaininTwos is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRaininTwos is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRaininTwos is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRaininTwos is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by HardwoodLegend
Did you touch the bar with your chest, and on the way down did you straighten your arms out completely? That's a true pullup.

Hmm...I always touch the bar with my chest but maybe I didnt go all the way down....will update my number.
RaininTwos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 10:11 PM   #51
TheSilentKiller
7-time NBA All-Star

TheSilentKiller is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTheSilentKiller is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTheSilentKiller is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTheSilentKiller is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTheSilentKiller is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTheSilentKiller is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTheSilentKiller is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTheSilentKiller is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTheSilentKiller is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTheSilentKiller is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTheSilentKiller is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach_3
between 40-45 i suppose. I never really did pull-ups as the first thing i did when i walked into the gym i always saved em for last to completely burn out my uppper body.
You know we are talking pullups, not chinups right? I have a hard time believing you can do that many.

I think the most I have ever done is between 15-20.
TheSilentKiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 10:14 PM   #52
plowking
Banned

plowking is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterplowking is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterplowking is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterplowking is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterplowking is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterplowking is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterplowking is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterplowking is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterplowking is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterplowking is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

LOL... Everyone on here is a world class athlete as expected.

You rarely see the fittest guys at the gym do 20 consecutive pull ups. Hell its very unlikely.
plowking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 10:24 PM   #53
Jyap9675
True Point Guard

Jyap9675 has decent reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by plowking

You rarely see the fittest guys at the gym do 20 consecutive pull ups. Hell its very unlikely.

hahaha my thoughts too. In the last 3 years that I've been gym-ing I probably only saw 2-3 guys that did more than 15 wide grip pull ups with perfect form or had an extra 10-20 kg weight attached to their waist while they do a pull up.
Jyap9675 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 10:38 PM   #54
Rake2204
7-time NBA All-Star

Rake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by plowking

I always try to keep my faith in the numbers some people provide. I think it could have to do with everyone's varied definitions of a pull-up. For instance, as I alluded earlier, I didn't know what a true pull-up was. The number I provided was not from letting my arms going completely straight after each rep. I'll have to give that one a shot another time.
Rake2204 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 10:38 PM   #55
magic chiongson
I post-up midgets

magic chiongson is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemagic chiongson is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemagic chiongson is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemagic chiongson is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemagic chiongson is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemagic chiongson is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemagic chiongson is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemagic chiongson is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemagic chiongson is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemagic chiongson is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemagic chiongson is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

i was able to do 5 underhand last week when i happened to be on a park with monkey bars. i'm not exactly overweight it just happens that most of my body mass is concentrated in my abdominal area
magic chiongson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 10:40 PM   #56
plowking
Banned

plowking is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterplowking is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterplowking is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterplowking is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterplowking is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterplowking is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterplowking is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterplowking is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterplowking is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterplowking is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jyap9675
hahaha my thoughts too. In the last 3 years that I've been gym-ing I probably only saw 2-3 guys that did more than 15 wide grip pull ups with perfect form or had an extra 10-20 kg weight attached to their waist while they do a pull up.

Yeah, I'm the same. Been training the last 4 years going 5 days a week, with a 1 week break after every 12 week interval. In that time, the most I've ever been able to pull up was 20kg (45lbs) 6 or 7 times. Now I'm doing slightly less, but am looking to get back up to that.
plowking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 11:22 PM   #57
Juges8932
Land of Ownst

Juges8932 has an incredible reputation hereJuges8932 has an incredible reputation hereJuges8932 has an incredible reputation hereJuges8932 has an incredible reputation hereJuges8932 has an incredible reputation hereJuges8932 has an incredible reputation hereJuges8932 has an incredible reputation here

Quote:
Originally Posted by HardwoodLegend
Can you get the same results from a Power Tower? Resting your arms on those pads:

Or, does the 90 degree pullup position add even more stress on the abs? I would imagine it might.

It's not the same. On the power tower you are RESTING your weight on the pads on your arms and you can't do circular motions with it- you can only bring your legs up and down in-front of you.

The way I am describing, you are HOLDING your weight and it is more taxing on your body and abs to hold your upper body from moving.

Plenty of people do what you are describing- there are but a few people who do it the way I have described from what I have seen personally (not to say that this is the end-all, be all exercise, that more people couldn't- just saying in my personal experience). There isn't anything wrong with doing it your way, of course. I just know that what I described is a lot more difficult and it is more of an advanced ab movement. A lot of regular gym goers couldn't do what I described with proper form. My abs never felt it close to as much as with this exercise compared to others and I've tried a lot of different things.

Weighted abs are also a great exercise that more people should do. Weighted sit-ups on a decline are real good, for example.
Juges8932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 11:38 PM   #58
Derrick
The Dragon

Derrick is a pretty well-respected posterDerrick is a pretty well-respected posterDerrick is a pretty well-respected poster

I'm calling bs on a lot of people. Probably never done a pull up before and just threw out a random number.
Derrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 12:18 AM   #59
jbot
Future D1 Dad

jbot is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjbot is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjbot is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjbot is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjbot is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjbot is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjbot is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjbot is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjbot is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

probably about 1/2 of one. i'm overweight and out of shape. never had much strength in my arms anyway.
jbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 12:20 AM   #60
Velocirap31
Decent college freshman

Velocirap31 has a near all-star reputation hereVelocirap31 has a near all-star reputation hereVelocirap31 has a near all-star reputation hereVelocirap31 has a near all-star reputation hereVelocirap31 has a near all-star reputation hereVelocirap31 has a near all-star reputation here

Had to try because I was curious. I just did 28 and that is probably my absolute max. Realistically I'd stop around 23 or 24 if I was just working out. I've been working out with dedication for years, so anyone who says they can do more than 30 either has a very low body weight for their strength or is full of it. I'm 175 lbs btw.
Velocirap31 is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: