Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Football Forum

Football Forum Football forum - NFL football forum

Old 11-18-2009, 01:14 AM   #1
~primetime~
~the original p.tiddy~

~primetime~ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster~primetime~ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster~primetime~ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster~primetime~ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster~primetime~ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster~primetime~ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster~primetime~ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster~primetime~ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster~primetime~ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster~primetime~ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster~primetime~ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster
Default hey RBA...

^^^ from Monday Night Football

sorry, couldn't help myself, you were the first thing I thought about when I saw that sign since you made that rant about why you hate Baltimore...
~primetime~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 01:50 AM   #2
Doomsday Dallas
we fight as MAVERICKS!

Doomsday Dallas has an incredible reputation hereDoomsday Dallas has an incredible reputation hereDoomsday Dallas has an incredible reputation hereDoomsday Dallas has an incredible reputation hereDoomsday Dallas has an incredible reputation hereDoomsday Dallas has an incredible reputation hereDoomsday Dallas has an incredible reputation here
Default Re: hey RBA...

In 9 games... They have scored a total of 78 points. (if i remember corectly)

I think Oakland has only scored 88.

I can't remember a year in the NFL when I've seen 6 teams as bad as this.

Let me rank them:

32. Cleveland
31. Tampa Bay
30. St. Louis
29. Kansas City
28. Oakland
27. Detroit

6 teams of pure $hit.

How did Philly lose to Oakland?

How did Dallas almost lose to KC?

How the hell did TB beat GB?

And who the hell did Ceveland beat anyway?
Doomsday Dallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 02:03 AM   #3
InspiredLebowski
Roy Hibbert Super Star

InspiredLebowski is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableInspiredLebowski is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableInspiredLebowski is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableInspiredLebowski is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableInspiredLebowski is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableInspiredLebowski is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableInspiredLebowski is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableInspiredLebowski is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableInspiredLebowski is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableInspiredLebowski is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableInspiredLebowski is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doomsday Dallas

That awesome 6-3 game against Buffalo.
InspiredLebowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 02:08 AM   #4
Doomsday Dallas
we fight as MAVERICKS!

Doomsday Dallas has an incredible reputation hereDoomsday Dallas has an incredible reputation hereDoomsday Dallas has an incredible reputation hereDoomsday Dallas has an incredible reputation hereDoomsday Dallas has an incredible reputation hereDoomsday Dallas has an incredible reputation hereDoomsday Dallas has an incredible reputation here

Quote:
Originally Posted by InspiredLebowski
That awesome 6-3 game against Buffalo.

OMG.

No wonder the coach got fired.
Doomsday Dallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 02:22 AM   #5
~primetime~
~the original p.tiddy~

~primetime~ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster~primetime~ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster~primetime~ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster~primetime~ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster~primetime~ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster~primetime~ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster~primetime~ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster~primetime~ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster~primetime~ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster~primetime~ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster~primetime~ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:

Let me rank them:

32. Cleveland
31. Tampa Bay
30. St. Louis
29. Kansas City
28. Oakland
27. Detroit

6 teams of pure $hit.

the ticket had a rant about Cowboy fans and how furious we get when we lose, and how after the Green Bay loss it just make the entire week gloomy...

then they just put it into perspective with Cleveland and what those guys have to go through...

you aren't a real fan unless you stick through the tuff times...and that is why it erks me when I listen to Cowboy fans taht do nothing but b*tch all about the team, they just come off so fair weather to me...

only real fans go through hard times...the fans that don't see hard times aren't real fans...
~primetime~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 02:41 PM   #6
1manfastbreak
just win

1manfastbreak is a pretty well-respected poster1manfastbreak is a pretty well-respected poster1manfastbreak is a pretty well-respected poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~primetime~
the ticket had a rant about Cowboy fans and how furious we get when we lose, and how after the Green Bay loss it just make the entire week gloomy...

then they just put it into perspective with Cleveland and what those guys have to go through...

you aren't a real fan unless you stick through the tuff times...and that is why it erks me when I listen to Cowboy fans taht do nothing but b*tch all about the team, they just come off so fair weather to me...

only real fans go through hard times...the fans that don't see hard times aren't real fans...

RAIIIIDERS. win lose or ties raiders till i die. its been rough but its all good, we'll get back one day.
1manfastbreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 02:47 PM   #7
Huey Freeman
PAO

Huey Freeman has decent reputationHuey Freeman has decent reputation

Quote:

Precisely. Going through the 2007 Miami Dolphins season was probably the hardest for me, but brighter days came much sooner than I thought.
Huey Freeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 02:59 PM   #8
phoenix18
4/27/91-7/23/09

phoenix18 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterphoenix18 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterphoenix18 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterphoenix18 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterphoenix18 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterphoenix18 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterphoenix18 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterphoenix18 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:

sorry, couldn't help myself, you were the first thing I thought about when I saw that sign since you made that rant about why you hate Baltimore...

Not cool brah. SMH. I could not even watch this game. My pain threshold is not that high.

Interested to see if RBA even responds to this. I think there are only three Browns fans on here anyways. (me,RBA and Laserface)
phoenix18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 03:27 PM   #9
Attila
National High School Star

Attila is a pretty well-respected posterAttila is a pretty well-respected posterAttila is a pretty well-respected posterAttila is a pretty well-respected poster

Still a Lions fan but i like the Vikes more.
Attila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 04:37 PM   #10
Mex-Laker
I hit open 5-footers

Mex-Laker has no real reputation yet.

Quote:

Let me rank them:

32. Cleveland
31. Tampa Bay
30. St. Louis
29. Kansas City
28. Oakland
27. Detroit

6 teams of pure $hit.

Yeah, the Bucs are 1-7, but doesn´t mean they are worse than the Rams, Oakland, Kansas and Detroit, come on man, we have been in more close games against better teams than those crappy teams, we have put some battle in most of games, we´ve lost because a new and crappy defense, but i think we would beat all those teams, oh and BTW we have a Franchise Qb, can you beleive it ?!
Mex-Laker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 04:40 PM   #11
RedBlackAttack
The Paterfamilias

RedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:

I saw it. The sad thing is, even as bad as this team is, having them totally embarrass the city each week is better than those three years we went without a team. That was pure hell. Keep in mind that it was really before fantasy football jumped off, so Sundays were a total loss. There was nothing to root for... No interest.

That said, what is happening in Cleveland is very sad. Did you notice the crowd Monday night? It was f#cking totally packed and the stadium was rocking. The crowd willed that team to a 0-0 tie at half. Have you ever seen a city with a team this bad support it in such a way? Could you imagine what it would be like if we were mediocre and not horrendous? I'm not even saying good... Just mediocre.

It is really the NFL's loss to have a team in Cleveland be this bad. I've said it many times before and I stick by it... We have the best, most loyal fans in the league. What we've been through... And we keep coming back for more.

Lerner needs to sell the team or hand all personnel decisions (coaching or otherwise) to a competent GM. That is the only way of fixing the situation.

As for Baltimore... I never hated them more than I did Monday night. That should be our team. There is a reason why Art Modell has a longstanding oath that he will never step foot in Cleveland again. The guy has piles and piles of death threats (not that I condone that... ) saying that if he is seen in the city, he is done.

The funny thing is, I'm not even sure that Baltimore fans know how much their team is despised. They seem relatively oblivious (and totally hypocritical).

I'm looking forward to the Draft... That is the one time per year that Cleveland fans can get genuinely excited. Maybe we'll take a big name? Maybe he'll turn things around? Maybe we'll trade down for more picks and address many positions? The possibilities are endless.

Sunday's during football season? There is only one possibility... Embarrassment.

Last edited by RedBlackAttack : 11-18-2009 at 04:51 PM.
RedBlackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 11:43 PM   #12
phoenix18
4/27/91-7/23/09

phoenix18 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterphoenix18 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterphoenix18 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterphoenix18 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterphoenix18 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterphoenix18 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterphoenix18 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterphoenix18 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedBlackAttack
Sunday's during football season? There is only one possibility... Embarrassment.

Its not just Sunday. Its every f*cking day. Every day,"at least they arent the browns" or "they are not as bad as the browns". Just be lucky you are in Cleveland and not anywhere else.
phoenix18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 01:02 AM   #13
RedBlackAttack
The Paterfamilias

RedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

I'm going to post the article from that Sports Illustrated cover that I posted, because it is such a sad reminder of what greed can do and how little love there is between many franchises and the fans that make those teams go. Beware, NFL fans... Regardless of how long they've been around and regardless of how rabid the fan support may seem, the owners are in it for themselves. There are exceptions to this rule (the great Rooney family, for instance), but Modell was thought to be tied to Cleveland until his death.

He stabbed us in the back... It can happen to you, too. Only our unprecedented protests allowed us to keep our name and records.

Here is the story from 1995... I suggest you read it (it will be several posts long)... or you could just go to the source: The heart of a city

Amid all the confusion concerning their future, the Cleveland Browns issued a statement last week. It was clear, concise and unequivocal: We are not moving to Baltimore.

"In fact, we are trying to move back to Cleveland," says Cleveland Brown, a Cleveland native whose father, grandfather and great-grandfather were also named Cleveland Brown, and whose 13-year-old son is named Cleveland Brown as well. The 38-year-old nuclear medicine technician now lives in Middletown, Ohio. "And, no," he says, "my son and I are not changing our names to Baltimore Brown, though I get asked that 14 times a day."

Of course, the other Cleveland Browns—the football team—are planning a move to Baltimore. And what the Cleveland Brown family asks of the Cleveland Brown franchise is this: When you go, leave your once noble name in Ohio. "I'm not much of a football fan," says Cleveland Brown, "but when the Browns said they were moving, it really affected me. Not because of my name, but because for 50 years support for that team by the people of Cleveland has been phenomenal." And that, of course, is what makes this particular move so extraordinary. And so extraordinarily sad.

On Nov. 6, at a press conference in Baltimore, Brown owner Art Modell announced his intention to move his team to Maryland next season. Says Ron Brienes, a radio host at Cleveland's WHK, "I have to believe that he didn't anticipate what the response would be."

That is a howling understatement. Advertisers quickly pulled all their ads from Cleveland Stadium; nearly all of the coaches' and players' TV and radio programs were summarily canceled; and 24 hours a day, throughout the metropolis—in the airport, outside the convention center, above one of the city's busiest intersections—electronic message boards flash STOP ART MODELL, like those public-service ads that urge the citizenry to STOP TEEN PREGNANCY Or STOP V.D.

But Clevelanders had only begun their collective impersonation of a spurned lover. Last Friday, Judge Kenneth Callahan of Cuyahoga County Common Pleas Court granted the city a preliminary injunction that may ultimately lead to Modell's being required to adhere to the terms of a contract he signed with the city back in 1973, an agreement that was intended to bind the Browns to Cleveland through the '98 season (box, page 64). Modell had apparently assumed he could liberate himself from Cleveland by canceling the contract that he, as the majority owner of the Browns, had signed with the stadium company, of which he controls nearly all. He was mistaken. In his ruling Callahan cited a remarkably prescient clause in the '73 contract that gives the city the right to veto any cancellation of that lease.

Modell will almost certainly appeal Callahan's ruling to the state's appellate court, where his chances of success are not good. Modell's next appeal will be to the Ohio supreme court, and if he loses there, he and the city will go to trial in a Cleveland courtroom in early spring. If a jury finds that the Browns are obligated to fulfill the terms of their lease, Modell will find himself in the unenviable position of owning a team in a city he cannot visit. Henceforth, Modell will appear publicly in Cleveland only as an effigy. He has fled his Tudor-style mansion in suburban Waite Hill and is living in exile at his condominium in West Palm Beach, Fla. "In one stroke he has torn down everything he ever did," wrote Bill Livingston in the Cleveland Plain Dealer last week. "He has wasted 35 years, exactly half his life." And that would be sadness enough for one story.

But sadder yet is the pain he has inflicted on thousands of others who have involuntarily lost something forever. And make no mistake: Whether Cleveland keeps the Browns for three strange years or receives another franchise in the future, things are unlikely to ever be the same again in this old Rust Belt city. "What I have now are 18 years of memories in my basement," says the Big Dawg, 34-year-old John Thompson, leader of the Browns' famous Dawg Pound cheering section. "At least there's no way Modell can touch them. Screw him."

That's exactly what Cleveland has decided to do: Screw the man who screwed it. At least nine other lawsuits have been filed by fan groups and ticket holders against the Browns, and Mayor Michael White has adopted the slogan "No team, no peace." As he surveyed his city from a law office on the 49th floor of the Society Center, White invoked his municipal mantra. "I will tell you, my friend, there will be no peace until the NFL owners meet on January 17," vowed White, citing the date on which the league owners are scheduled to vote on the move. "And there may not be peace afterward, if we don't keep the Browns."

To understand why Cleveland is a single exposed nerve these days, you must understand two things. "Football is America's sport," explains 72-year-old Dante Lavelli, impeccable in a blue blazer, rep tie and scalpful of silver hair. "And Ohio is the cradle of football: Massillon High School, Ohio State, the Hall of Fame and the Cleveland Browns.
Old 11-19-2009, 01:02 AM   #14
RedBlackAttack
The Paterfamilias

(cont.)

"When I was in high school, before the steel industry went bad," Lavelli continues, "the main thing was to get a ticket to Massillon's game on Saturday, even though I played for Hudson High School myself." From Hudson, Lavelli went to Ohio State ("Most of the guys on our 1942 team are still living," he says proudly) and from Ohio State to the Browns ("We were like a family, those teams"). In '75 Lavelli was inducted as an end into the Pro Football Hall of Fame, just down the road in Canton, and these memories of a lifetime now warm him like a summer sun.

Until, that is, Modell is mentioned. Lavelli had been chatting pleasantly in the furniture store he owns in suburban Rocky River, a big painting of a Brown helmet hanging from the showroom's facade. He has had season tickets to the Browns since his retirement in 1956. But now he goes ballistic and begins loudly defaming Modell in a way we cannot possibly print or even hint at. Nor, on reflection, does Lavelli want us to. "I'm at the end of my rope," he says, by way of apology, after he has calmed down. "It's just that everywhere you go, waitresses, salespeople, truck drivers, eighth-grade kids—everyone mentions the guy, and after a while, you get tired of listening to it." He sighs. "It's hard to accept."

Lavelli steps outside the store to be photographed, and his righthand man approaches. John DePolo is a sunny 68-year-old who speaks in soothing tones, a good cop to Lavelli's bad. "You have to understand his emotions," DePolo says softly, with evident concern for his friend. "This isn't just football that's being taken away. It's a part of people's lives."

It's a part of people's lives. On each autumn Sunday, 13-year-old Jenny Sheeler watches the Browns, whether they are home or on the road, with her sister, Katie, and their parents, Pat and Russ. The Sheelers hang Brown signs in their house in suburban Twinsburg and root in their Brown warmup suits. "To know that when I have my own kids, I can't bring them to Brown games, that hurts me," said Jenny, standing outside Cleveland Stadium before the Nov. 19 game between the Browns and the Green Bay Packers. "It's sad that we won't be able to come to games as a family anymore."

"The Browns are the only real team I've known," said 13-year-old Angela Woody, attending the game, as she always does, with her little brother, Michael, and her father, James. "They're a part of the history of our family."

And so it goes, across every age, gender and racial group in northern Ohio. Tune in to Brienes's radio show. Listen at random to two consecutive calls. The two voices seem to be those of African-American males. And it isn't static that makes both of them crack on the air.

"I have a four-year-old whom I wanted to raise a Brown fan, like I was," says a man who calls himself Brainchild. "And this sucker Modell has snatched that away from me. When you have grown men crying about a football team, you can't say it's only about sports. It goes way deeper than that. You ask why we still go to games, even though they're leaving? Because it's who we are. Football is in our blood. The Cleveland Browns are in our blood."

"As I view it," says the next caller, who doesn't give his name, "Art Modell has murdered my memories. He's murdered a friend. I'm going to [Sunday's] game even though I know my money goes straight into Modell's pocket. But I'm not going for him. I'm going for my father, who raised me on the Cleveland Browns. I'm going for [former quarterback] Bernie Kosar, who cried when he had to leave the Cleveland Browns. I'm going to see a friend. And to pay my last respects."

Have you noticed? Every one of the aforementioned fans grieved as though he or she had lost family. And now you know what the game means in this part of the country. Now you know why the grown men cry.

And cry they do. For 18 years Thompson has been a Brown season-ticket holder. For the last 10 he has also been Big Dawg, the most visible—and not just because he's 5'11" and 385 pounds—Brown fan in a world full of Brown fans.

Last edited by RedBlackAttack : 11-19-2009 at 01:15 AM.
Old 11-19-2009, 01:03 AM   #15
RedBlackAttack
The Paterfamilias

(cont.)

How full? The official Browns Backers club purports to be the largest fan club of any professional team on the planet, with more than 63,000 members of some 200 chapters from the U.S. to the U.K. to Japan. When the move was announced, Browns Backer president Bob Grace took a call from the president of the Australian chapter, who asked, "Should we disband?" They should not, he was told.

Indeed, when our friend Cleveland Brown lived abroad for 15 years, as a member of the Air Force and later as a nondenominational missionary, he heard knowing comments about his name wherever he traveled, from the Philippines to Italy. "Browns fans are everywhere," he confirms, and none is better known than Big Dawg.

So let the Big Dawg eat. He is seated at a table in Coaches restaurant in downtown Cleveland. One almost expects him to be served a bowl of Kibbles 'n Bits and to slurp the food up with his mouth. But in fact, he doesn't order food at all. His familiar dog mask is at home, but his own face looks hangdog enough on this night. On another recent evening, Big Dawg was honored for his devotion to the Browns before a Cleveland Crunch indoor soccer match. His twin daughters accompanied him.

"In the third quarter," he says, his eyes suddenly reddening at the rims, "they announced that it was my daughters' ninth birthday. Their names are Megan and Michelle. We didn't know they were going to do that." Clearly the gesture moved him, for his eyes mist now at the mention of it.

At the conclusion of the Crunch festivities, a fan approached Big Dawg and said, "Man, the Browns must have really been good to you over the years."

And the Big Dawg replied, "The Crunch have done more for me tonight than the Browns did in 18 years."

That irony had first occurred to him earlier that evening as he prepared to kick out the ball to start the indoor soccer game: It was the Crunch who were thanking him for two decades of devotion to the Browns. And so that night, as applause rolled down the arena aisles and reached this giant man, he couldn't help himself.

Beneath a rubber basset hound mask, he wept.

One would have preferred to have filed a happier report, to have given Cleveland a cleaner bill of health. Lord knows, no other American city has endured as many invasive journalistic procedures.

"Reporters from serious publications like The Wall Street Journal, FORTUNE and The New York Times Magazine visit the city at five-year intervals and produce long stories with titles like 'Cleveland Bounces Back' and 'Renaissance in Cleveland,' " travel writer Bill Bryson has said. "No one ever reads these articles, least of all me, so I can't say whether the improbable and highly relative assertion that Cleveland is better now than it used to be is wrong or right."

Last edited by RedBlackAttack : 11-19-2009 at 01:15 AM.
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: