Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 09-05-2012, 09:14 PM   #16
imnew09
2*/5

imnew09 posts stuff that is definitely making some people angryimnew09 posts stuff that is definitely making some people angry
Default Re: I want to buy a kickass gaming desktop under 2k

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raz
That looks nice. Can you find me a laptop with some gaming guts, too? Something under 1k

I'm looking to get something that will run 2K13 - then I can play it on flights

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16883229332

It should run 2k13 smoothly

NBA 2K12 Recommended System Requirements :

CPU: 3 GHz Dual Core processor or equivalent

RAM: 2 GB

GFX: Nvidia Geforce 7900 GT / AMD equivilant

GFX RAM: 512MB with Shader Model 3.0 support

that one is ahead in every category of the 2k12 pc requirements

Last edited by imnew09 : 09-05-2012 at 09:19 PM.
imnew09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 09:18 PM   #17
rhythmic †hesis
Welcome to LA S. Nash!

rhythmic †hesis has an incredible reputation hererhythmic †hesis has an incredible reputation hererhythmic †hesis has an incredible reputation hererhythmic †hesis has an incredible reputation hererhythmic †hesis has an incredible reputation hererhythmic †hesis has an incredible reputation hererhythmic †hesis has an incredible reputation here

Quote:
Originally Posted by macmac
What do I do? Should I get a buddy to build me one, do I check out best buy or futureshop, do I buy a custom made one online?

What specs do you guys recommend?

You're in Canada, so go to Tiger Direct (I believe it's only in Burlington). They customize desktops and laptops to your preferences. My buddy who is a computer genuise just built a desktop himself by buying parts from TD for under $1,500. He even used see-through covers, which looks really cool.

I am not great with computers myself but I do know the motherboard is the most essential part of building a powerful computer due to its compatabilities with other components.

My friend has (according to him, and I trust him) a quad-core, 3.5 GHz, 12 GB of RAM, and the best graphics card (he loves his video games) and he got the shieldings too for less then 1,500.

But they customize it for you down there, and they will help you meet your needs. They are online accessible. I live in New York, so it's really far from me otherwise I would have bought a computer from there a long time ago.
rhythmic †hesis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 09:26 PM   #18
macmac
Gov'n

macmac is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemacmac is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemacmac is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemacmac is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemacmac is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemacmac is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemacmac is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemacmac is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemacmac is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemacmac is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemacmac is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhythmic †hesis
You're in Canada, so go to Tiger Direct (I believe it's only in Burlington). They customize desktops and laptops to your preferences. My buddy who is a computer genuise just built a desktop himself by buying parts from TD for under $1,500. He even used see-through covers, which looks really cool.

I am not great with computers myself but I do know the motherboard is the most essential part of building a powerful computer due to its compatabilities with other components.

My friend has (according to him, and I trust him) a quad-core, 3.5 GHz, 12 GB of RAM, and the best graphics card (he loves his video games) and he got the shieldings too for less then 1,500.

But they customize it for you down there, and they will help you meet your needs. They are online accessible. I live in New York, so it's really far from me otherwise I would have bought a computer from there a long time ago.

Thanks man, I'm checking out their website now
macmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 10:26 PM   #19
intrinsic
Local High School Star

intrinsic has a terrific reputationintrinsic has a terrific reputationintrinsic has a terrific reputationintrinsic has a terrific reputationintrinsic has a terrific reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by macmac
Thanks man, I'm checking out their website now

I can't speak to the B&M store, but I'd stay far away from the online retailer td. In my experience, Amazon and Newegg will have anything you can find on td with a much higher standard for customer service. Both amazon and newegg have allowed me to rma(return) DOA components whereas td's policy is more along the lines of ****off and go file a warranty claim with the manufacturer. It isn't worth whatever meager savings they're offering over the competition.
intrinsic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 10:41 PM   #20
rhythmic †hesis
Welcome to LA S. Nash!

rhythmic †hesis has an incredible reputation hererhythmic †hesis has an incredible reputation hererhythmic †hesis has an incredible reputation hererhythmic †hesis has an incredible reputation hererhythmic †hesis has an incredible reputation hererhythmic †hesis has an incredible reputation hererhythmic †hesis has an incredible reputation here

Quote:
Originally Posted by intrinsic
I can't speak to the B&M store, but I'd stay far away from the online retailer td. In my experience, Amazon and Newegg will have anything you can find on td with a much higher standard for customer service. Both amazon and newegg have allowed me to rma(return) DOA components whereas td's policy is more along the lines of ****off and go file a warranty claim with the manufacturer. It isn't worth whatever meager savings they're offering over the competition.

Great point, my friend did tell me that if you're dealing with TD, you should be somewhat of an expert with computers or at least have a friend with you helping out.

But I know a bunch of people in Canada who either customized their computer or bought one from TD and have no complaints.
rhythmic †hesis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 12:40 AM   #21
intrinsic
Local High School Star

intrinsic has a terrific reputationintrinsic has a terrific reputationintrinsic has a terrific reputationintrinsic has a terrific reputationintrinsic has a terrific reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhythmic †hesis
Great point, my friend did tell me that if you're dealing with TD, you should be somewhat of an expert with computers or at least have a friend with you helping out.

But I know a bunch of people in Canada who either customized their computer or bought one from TD and have no complaints.

ASUS, for example, expects a fairly high level of tech knowledge from their customers. If you're looking for support on a mobo, one of their troubleshooting steps would be to mail you a chip with the newer BIOS revision to install on the motherboard yourself. That process is quite a bit more involved than anything else required to build a computer.

The convenience, and simplicity, of a simple exchange by the retailer is invaluable to me. Having a friend with experience is sound advice. Not to mention, the wiring will probably look a whole lot neater than a first timer.
intrinsic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 12:59 AM   #22
Sarcastic
NBA Legend and Hall of Famer

Sarcastic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSarcastic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSarcastic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSarcastic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSarcastic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSarcastic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSarcastic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSarcastic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSarcastic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSarcastic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSarcastic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeuceWallaces
You can have a buddy build one that's pretty sweet.

I'd go:

400 Graphics
300 Processor
150-250 Motherboard
200-300 for SSD with a backup for storage
80-120 for a case
80-150 for memory

Piece together mouse-keyoboard/gamepad.

And spend whatever you can afford on a monitor between 24-27.

If that's chump change then put whatever extra you can into the GPU and CPU.

You're at 1500 and you haven't even touched cooling, wiring, nor software.

You're best bet these days is to just get from one of the custom sites, and hope they have good deals.
Sarcastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 01:03 AM   #23
DeuceWallaces
I am your density

DeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarcastic
You're at 1500 and you haven't even touched cooling, wiring, nor software.

You're best bet these days is to just get from one of the custom sites, and hope they have good deals.

That's not your best bet these days; nor has it ever been. Your best bet is to build it yourself and/or have a friend do it for you. You will always get more performance per dollar spent. Case closed.

Cooling can be less than 50, wiring is a non issue with 100 or so on a modular power supply, and software is typically free. Win 7 can be had for cheap if you want to buy it.
DeuceWallaces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 01:42 AM   #24
macmac
Gov'n

macmac is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemacmac is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemacmac is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemacmac is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemacmac is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemacmac is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemacmac is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemacmac is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemacmac is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemacmac is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemacmac is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
That's not your best bet these days; nor has it ever been. Your best bet is to build it yourself and/or have a friend do it for you. You will always get more performance per dollar spent. Case closed.

Cooling can be less than 50, wiring is a non issue with 100 or so on a modular power supply, and software is typically free. Win 7 can be had for cheap if you want to buy it.

Yeah I was looking at your list, makes alot of sense...my neighbor built his own and told me he would help me, I'm just impatient to wait till he gets back frm vacation....

What do you recommend for monitors? How important is response time? And is 27 too big for a normal desk?
macmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 02:23 AM   #25
shoops
High School JV MVP

shoops has an OK reputation so far

Tbh if you want a gaming desktop, especially if you build it yourself or with the help of a friend, $1000 is more than enough (maybe not including monitor) for a pretty kickass one that while not benchmark busting, is good enough to run games on near/max settings for at least 2,3+ years? Even after that it'll still be very relevant and able to run new titles fine then. Not to mention if you're using something only mediocre or crappy now, then even a rig under 1000 should still blow you away.

Take this for example:
Quote:
You can have a buddy build one that's pretty sweet.

I'd go:

400 Graphics
300 Processor
150-250 Motherboard
200-300 for SSD with a backup for storage
80-120 for a case
80-150 for memory
You could cut that to
200-300 graphics
100-250 processor
100-200 hard drive, maybe ssd
50-100 case
around 100 for memory

and still have excellent value.
shoops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 02:24 AM   #26
bdreason
Game. Set. Match.

bdreason is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbdreason is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbdreason is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbdreason is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbdreason is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbdreason is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbdreason is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbdreason is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbdreason is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbdreason is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbdreason is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Build your own. You can build a monster for 2k. I spent $1,500 on mine and it destroys anything I throw at it.
bdreason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 03:54 AM   #27
bigkingsfan
Gif-ted

bigkingsfan is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbigkingsfan is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbigkingsfan is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbigkingsfan is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbigkingsfan is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbigkingsfan is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbigkingsfan is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbigkingsfan is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbigkingsfan is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbigkingsfan is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbigkingsfan is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Unless you're building an uber sli/crossfire setup, you can just buy a pre-built and then upgrade the Graphics card. I got a good deal on a Dell XPS 8500 for 500$ :

Processor: Intel Core 3rd Gen i7-3770 Processor
Dell Wireless 1703 802.11a/b/g/n, Bluetooth v4.0
1TB 7200 RPM SATA Hard Drive 6.0 Gb/s
AMD Radeon HD 7570 1GB GDDR5 with DVI and HDMI Ports
8 GB DDR3 SDRAM 1600MHz (2 DIMMs)
16X DVD +/- RW Drive
460W Power Supply

Upgraded the 7570 to a GTX 660 TI (300$) myself and this will run about anything on max settings at 1920x1200. The Graphics card is the most important thing on a system and shouldn't be skimp. i5 or i7 ivy bridge, they perform the same as far gaming goes. 8GB ram is enough for gaming too.

Quote:
What do you recommend for monitors? How important is response time? And is 27 too big for a normal desk?
This is another factor, people only have higher end gaming system if the plan to game at 2560x1600 30" monitor. Those run at least 800$ by themselves. The cheaper 27 monitor are 1920×1080 or 1920x1200, why build an awesome gaming system if you're going to play on a cheap monitor?

Last edited by bigkingsfan : 09-06-2012 at 04:26 AM.
bigkingsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 04:19 AM   #28
FatComputerNerd
National High School Star

FatComputerNerd is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterFatComputerNerd is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterFatComputerNerd is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterFatComputerNerd is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterFatComputerNerd is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterFatComputerNerd is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterFatComputerNerd is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterFatComputerNerd is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterFatComputerNerd is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterFatComputerNerd is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigkingsfan
Unless you're building an uber sli/crossfire setup, you can just buy a pre-built and then upgrade the Graphics card. I got a good deal on a Dell XPS 8500 for 500$ :

Processor: Intel Core 3rd Gen i7-3770 Processor
Dell Wireless 1703 802.11a/b/g/n, Bluetooth v4.0
1TB 7200 RPM SATA Hard Drive 6.0 Gb/s
AMD Radeon HD 7570 1GB GDDR5 with DVI and HDMI Ports
8 GB DDR3 SDRAM 1600MHz (2 DIMMs)
16X DVD +/- RW Drive
460W Power Supply

Upgraded the 7570 to a GTX 660 TI (300$) myself and this will run about anything on max settings at 1920x1200. The Graphics card is the most important thing on a system and shouldn't be skimp. i5 or i7 ivy bridge, they perform the same as far gaming goes. 8GB ram is enough for gaming too.

I am having a hard time believing you bought for under $500 an Ivy Bridge I-7 w/ those specs when it's tricky to find a pre-built 2nd gen. I5 desktop for under 500.
FatComputerNerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 04:26 AM   #29
FatComputerNerd
National High School Star

FatComputerNerd is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterFatComputerNerd is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterFatComputerNerd is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterFatComputerNerd is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterFatComputerNerd is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterFatComputerNerd is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterFatComputerNerd is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterFatComputerNerd is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterFatComputerNerd is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterFatComputerNerd is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

My main rig is old but still sufficient.

Gigabyte ep45-UD3l
q9550 (still fast enough)
gtx 285 (still fast enough, but no dx11)
8 GIGS DDRII @ 1066 Corsair Dominator
Corsair HX 650w PSU
-No SSD, just a 7200 rpm SATA II HDD
-No USB3

I have a nice Zalman cooler on the q9550 and have it clocked around 3.8 w/ low temps.

I know eventually I will need to upgrade but waiting to see what prices do w/ this Ivy Bridge release, and this still runs any game I've thrown at it at highest settings.
FatComputerNerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 04:31 AM   #30
fiddy
HC4L

fiddy is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterfiddy is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterfiddy is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterfiddy is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterfiddy is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterfiddy is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterfiddy is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterfiddy is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterfiddy is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterfiddy is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Here you go

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16883227426
fiddy is online now   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: