Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 09-05-2012, 10:45 PM   #16
miller-time
NBA sixth man of the year

miller-time is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postermiller-time is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postermiller-time is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postermiller-time is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postermiller-time is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postermiller-time is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postermiller-time is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postermiller-time is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postermiller-time is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postermiller-time is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster
Default Re: Three Movies You'd Recommend...

i like city of god, but i think it is overrated. i have a feeling people always put it up there because they think it gives them some sort of movie critic cred. like i said it is a good film, but there are plenty of better films out there.

i'd go with

kalifornia - mostly because of juliette lewis's performance (it seems a bit hammy in the trailer but if you watch the actual film it is pretty intense).

what's eating gilbert grape

jackie brown
miller-time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 11:50 PM   #17
"Jesus"
Short & Sweet

"Jesus" has a terrific reputation"Jesus" has a terrific reputation"Jesus" has a terrific reputation"Jesus" has a terrific reputation"Jesus" has a terrific reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeN
Chinatown

The Fountain

Waking Life

dat ending credit song. clint marsell is a beast

waking life was a snoozefest for me, just couldn't get into it.
"Jesus" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 11:53 PM   #18
Styles p
NBA rookie of the year

Styles p is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterStyles p is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterStyles p is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterStyles p is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterStyles p is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterStyles p is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterStyles p is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterStyles p is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterStyles p is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeN
Chinatown

The Fountain

Waking Life
love that movie first time i saw it i was on shrooms.
Styles p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 11:58 PM   #19
Patrick Chewing
Liberalism = Insanity

Patrick Chewing is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablePatrick Chewing is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablePatrick Chewing is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablePatrick Chewing is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablePatrick Chewing is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablePatrick Chewing is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablePatrick Chewing is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablePatrick Chewing is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablePatrick Chewing is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablePatrick Chewing is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablePatrick Chewing is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

1. Flame and Citron - Great foreign film depicting what the small, independent minority can do against fascism and the Third Reich. This is the movie Defiance should have been.

2. Green Street Hooligans - If you are not a Soccer fan, then this movie at least gets you semi-interested in the sport, having to do with the fans perspective and how serious they take it.

3. Downfall - The best Foreign or best depiction in general of Hitler's last days I have ever seen. The movie that spawned the Hitler gets angry meme.
Patrick Chewing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 11:59 PM   #20
"Jesus"
Short & Sweet

"Jesus" has a terrific reputation"Jesus" has a terrific reputation"Jesus" has a terrific reputation"Jesus" has a terrific reputation"Jesus" has a terrific reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Styles p
love that movie first time i saw it i was on shrooms.

That would probably do the trick too
Old 09-06-2012, 12:48 AM   #21
BankShot
5-time NBA All-Star

BankShot is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBankShot is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBankShot is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBankShot is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBankShot is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBankShot is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBankShot is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBankShot is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBankShot is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBankShot is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBankShot is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deuce Bigalow
Lucky Number Slevin (2006)

BankShot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 03:15 AM   #22
monkeypox
National High School Star

monkeypox is popular on this boardmonkeypox is popular on this boardmonkeypox is popular on this boardmonkeypox is popular on this board

Out of Sight. I think it gets degraded since it starred George Cloony before he was really big, and J-Lo when everyone hated her. But it's an Elmore Leonard story and directed by Soderberg. Could be a prequel to Ocean's 11 almost and exists in the same universe with Jackie Brown. (Both films even have a common character played by the same actor.) One of my favorite films. It was unpopular enough that you couldn't even find the dvd to rent for the longest time.
monkeypox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 03:45 AM   #23
kNIOKAS
Medium Rare

kNIOKAS is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekNIOKAS is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekNIOKAS is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekNIOKAS is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekNIOKAS is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekNIOKAS is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekNIOKAS is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekNIOKAS is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekNIOKAS is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekNIOKAS is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekNIOKAS is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Man Bites Dog - a documentary diary of a guy who trades in killing people.
Kontroll (~2005) - an absolutely awesome movie about the guys in the underground in Hungary.
Fantastic Mr. Fox - a cartoon about a fox family and all the other animals based on a great book (I presume). Full of humanish spirit, a must watch, by Wes Anderson.
kNIOKAS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 05:43 AM   #24
East_Stone_Ya
Gentleman Desperado

East_Stone_Ya is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterEast_Stone_Ya is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterEast_Stone_Ya is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterEast_Stone_Ya is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterEast_Stone_Ya is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterEast_Stone_Ya is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterEast_Stone_Ya is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterEast_Stone_Ya is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterEast_Stone_Ya is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Tropa De Elite

La Haine

Abre Los Ojos

East_Stone_Ya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 06:40 AM   #25
blacknapalm
spider 3 y banana

blacknapalm has an incredible reputation hereblacknapalm has an incredible reputation hereblacknapalm has an incredible reputation hereblacknapalm has an incredible reputation hereblacknapalm has an incredible reputation hereblacknapalm has an incredible reputation hereblacknapalm has an incredible reputation hereblacknapalm has an incredible reputation here

^ 100% in favor of tropa de elite

i'd also recommend twelve monkeys, black dynamite and sleepers.

can't stop at 3 so here's some others:

- monster (still can't believe this was charlize theron, oscar worthy imo)

- say anything (maybe my favorite john cusack film)

also, OT, but am i the only one that still loves to visit video rental stores? i really miss the days when you could walk into a blockbuster or local video place with a couple buddies on a friday night and pick out a movie on a whim. now, everything is ordered online or streamed. i mean, i appreciate technology and all, but i just miss those little experiences. now you just sit and click. sit and click.

they're so damn hard to find and just browsing stuff online has become so...sterile. blockbuster is all but dead and there's only one little video rental place still in my town. last time i went there were a few people in there so it was good to see it wasn't totally deserted.

Last edited by blacknapalm : 09-06-2012 at 07:06 AM.
blacknapalm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 07:27 AM   #26
FatComputerNerd
National High School Star

FatComputerNerd is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterFatComputerNerd is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterFatComputerNerd is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterFatComputerNerd is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterFatComputerNerd is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterFatComputerNerd is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterFatComputerNerd is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterFatComputerNerd is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterFatComputerNerd is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterFatComputerNerd is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Heimat part I

Heimat part II

Heimat part III

You will not be disappointed.

Last edited by FatComputerNerd : 09-06-2012 at 07:34 AM.
FatComputerNerd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 07:49 AM   #27
rufuspaul
Kubla Kemba

rufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeypox
Out of Sight. I think it gets degraded since it starred George Cloony before he was really big, and J-Lo when everyone hated her. But it's an Elmore Leonard story and directed by Soderberg. Could be a prequel to Ocean's 11 almost and exists in the same universe with Jackie Brown. (Both films even have a common character played by the same actor.) One of my favorite films. It was unpopular enough that you couldn't even find the dvd to rent for the longest time.

This. Great film. I liked Get Shorty too.

My 3:

Gallipoli: Follows the story of 2 Aussie runners that join the army during World War I and end up at the ill-fated battle. Stars a young Mel Gibson and directed by then newcomer Peter Weir.

All The President's Men: Every member of this excellent cast (Dustin Hofmann, Robert Redford, Jason Robards, Hal Holbrook) are perfect for their roles in this true tale of the tireless work of the Washington Post reporters that uncovered the Watergate scandal. Makes one pine for the days when journalism was more than show business.

The Man Who Fell To Earth: David Bowie plays an alien sent to earth to help save his home planet. Although structurally flawed, the film is mesmerizing as a work of visual art. Bowie's performance is great, especially considering that he was admittedly stoned out of his mind the entire time.
rufuspaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 11:11 AM   #28
"Jesus"
Short & Sweet

Nice call on Fantastic Mr Fox.

A Prophet
Quote:
A young Arab man is sent to a French prison where he becomes a mafia kingpin.

Cell 211
Quote:
The story of two men on different sides of a prison riot -- the inmate leading the rebellion and the young guard trapped in the revolt, who poses as a prisoner in a desperate attempt to survive the ordeal.

Black Dynamite
Quote:
Black Dynamite is the greatest African-American action star of the 1970s. When his only brother is killed by The Man it's up to him to find justice.
Old 09-06-2012, 03:22 PM   #29
ROCSteady
~NO FATE~

ROCSteady is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterROCSteady is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterROCSteady is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterROCSteady is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterROCSteady is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterROCSteady is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterROCSteady is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterROCSteady is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterROCSteady is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterROCSteady is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterROCSteady is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

In Bruges

Marcy Martha May Marlene

Melancholia
ROCSteady is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 03:27 PM   #30
glidedrxlr22
Dont H8 the Laker H8er

glidedrxlr22 has an incredible reputation hereglidedrxlr22 has an incredible reputation hereglidedrxlr22 has an incredible reputation hereglidedrxlr22 has an incredible reputation hereglidedrxlr22 has an incredible reputation hereglidedrxlr22 has an incredible reputation hereglidedrxlr22 has an incredible reputation hereglidedrxlr22 has an incredible reputation here

The Boy in the Striped Pajamas

Master of the Flying Guillotine

Hard Boiled

Last edited by glidedrxlr22 : 09-06-2012 at 03:32 PM.
glidedrxlr22 is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: