Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Old 09-07-2012, 12:37 PM   #1
00playboy00
I brick open layups

00playboy00 has an OK reputation so far
Default Youth in America don't like Toronto?

Why is it that everytime they seen to have an all-star caliber player they always want to leave? Whether it be because it's to cold, the metric system, no espn??

Last edited by 00playboy00 : 09-07-2012 at 12:39 PM.
00playboy00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 12:40 PM   #2
stallionaire
UNITED WE RUN #WOLVES

stallionaire has one of the lowest reputations on this boardstallionaire has one of the lowest reputations on this boardstallionaire has one of the lowest reputations on this boardstallionaire has one of the lowest reputations on this boardstallionaire has one of the lowest reputations on this boardstallionaire has one of the lowest reputations on this board
Default Re: Youth in America don't like Toronto?

Can be said about any small market, really. Toronto isn't any different. What makes them stand out is their pitiful front office.
stallionaire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 12:43 PM   #3
Kblaze8855
Titles are overrated

Kblaze8855 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKblaze8855 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKblaze8855 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKblaze8855 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKblaze8855 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKblaze8855 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKblaze8855 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKblaze8855 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKblaze8855 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKblaze8855 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKblaze8855 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Ignoring for a moment that Canada is likely more cold than where they are from and often far from home and just...generally not America...

Perhaps they dont just hate it there.

Have the Raptors ever had a team you would want to join as a young star?

Maybe when they had Damon, Camby, and Christie?

When they had VC the best they gave him to work with was the Pacers 3rd best bigman from the 90s, Muggsy, Alvin Williams, and Mo Pete. Bosh came alive as he was already kinda on the way out.

What was in Toronto for Bosh to want to play with?

Was Tmac supposed to stay in his cousins shadow when the Magic were trying to build a big 3 in him, Grant Hill, and Duncan/Webber(didnt work out)?

Toronto doesnt exactly have guys walking out on talented rosters. They leave teams there is no good reason to play for.
Kblaze8855 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 12:45 PM   #4
stallionaire
UNITED WE RUN #WOLVES

stallionaire has one of the lowest reputations on this boardstallionaire has one of the lowest reputations on this boardstallionaire has one of the lowest reputations on this boardstallionaire has one of the lowest reputations on this boardstallionaire has one of the lowest reputations on this boardstallionaire has one of the lowest reputations on this board

Minneapolis is colder than Toronto. I've lived in both cities. People don't get that Minnesota is like a blackhole of a D-level climate which is on par of what Sibera's seasons. When I moved from Ontario I really could not believe how ****ing cold Minnesota winters got... -20 is normal with a shitty windchill. I live in northern Minnesota so it's even worse
Old 09-07-2012, 12:46 PM   #5
Kblaze8855
Titles are overrated

Kblaze8855 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKblaze8855 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKblaze8855 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKblaze8855 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKblaze8855 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKblaze8855 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKblaze8855 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKblaze8855 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKblaze8855 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKblaze8855 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKblaze8855 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by stallionaire
Can be said about any small market, really. Toronto isn't any different. What makes them stand out is their pitiful front office.

Toronto would be like the 3rd biggest city in America. Maybe #4. Right there with Houston and Chicago.
Old 09-07-2012, 12:47 PM   #6
bluechox2
#knickstape

bluechox2 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablebluechox2 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablebluechox2 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablebluechox2 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablebluechox2 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablebluechox2 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablebluechox2 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablebluechox2 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablebluechox2 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablebluechox2 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablebluechox2 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Can't teach a dog new tricks when all they know is their own back yard ( in terms of geography)
bluechox2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 12:47 PM   #7
00playboy00
I brick open layups

"Ignoring for a moment that Canada is likely more cold than where they are from and often far from home and just...generally not America...

When they had VC the best they gave him to work with was the Pacers 3rd best bigman from the 90s, Muggsy, Alvin Williams, and Mo Pete. Bosh came alive as he was already kinda on the way out.

Was Tmac supposed to stay in his cousins shadow when the Magic were trying to build a big 3 in him, Grant Hill, and Duncan/Webber(didnt work out)?

Toronto doesnt exactly have guys walking out on talented rosters. They leave teams there is no good reason to play for."

AGREED

The product put on the floor is horrible. They should be moved to Seattle
Old 09-07-2012, 12:48 PM   #8
stallionaire
UNITED WE RUN #WOLVES

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kblaze8855
Toronto would be like the 3rd biggest city in America. Maybe #4. Right there with Houston and Chicago.

They're at a disadvantage because it's still the youngest NBA franchise dating back to 1995. No storied history, think about that. Not too many older people give a **** about the Raps but that'll change moving forward. They filll the arena when the team is good, because like you said it's a huge city.

But until then, how young they are is a huge indicator of the type of small market they are.

Also: the raptors do nothing to appeal to all of canada... terrible marketers I think.
Old 09-07-2012, 12:49 PM   #9
Kblaze8855
Titles are overrated

Quote:
Originally Posted by stallionaire
Minneapolis is colder than Toronto. I've lived in both cities. People don't get that Minnesota is like a blackhole of a D-level climate which is on par of what Sibera's seasons. When I moved from Ontario I really could not believe how ****ing cold Minnesota winters got... -20 is normal with a shitty windchill. I live in northern Minnesota so it's even worse

I know. I had to look into that once for an unrelated reason. But trust me....people in America assume Canada is cold. And it no doubt is colder than the kinds of places most of these guys would be from. The southeast is home to a hell of a lot of young black athletes. In fact...this topic is probably because of Bosh, Tmac, and vince carter who are from Texas and Florida.

Generally speaking.....just...on average....im guessing young blacks from placesl ike that dont want to be in Toronto.

Not that its colder than NY....I wouldnt know. But it isnt New York.

Im sure Minnesota gets some of that as well.
Old 09-07-2012, 12:50 PM   #10
Owl
Local High School Star

Owl is popular on this boardOwl is popular on this boardOwl is popular on this boardOwl is popular on this board

My first instincts were climate and taxes.

Hollinger and Ford in their first future rankings (circa November 2009) said those 2 reasons plus "cultural differences" were reasons why many American (US) stars had left (or chosen not to go). In that edition the market was given 48 out of 100 good for 18th place in that category, though those marks have fallen to 37 out of 100 and 21st place respectively.
Owl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 12:51 PM   #11
Dave3
NBA lottery pick

Dave3 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterDave3 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterDave3 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterDave3 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterDave3 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterDave3 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterDave3 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterDave3 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterDave3 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterDave3 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterDave3 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kblaze8855
Yeah, it's the 4th after New York, LA, and Chicago. Don't know how people can call it a "small" market. Basketball, baseball, soccer, and hockey in a city of 2.6 M and with suburban areas 5.5 million.

But yeah, can't deny the cold being a deterrent. Having grown up in (around) Toronto though, I can't ever imagine living in a place without snow during winter. Florida and LA where it's hot all year round don't seem like nice places at all to me. You're right, because it's all about where those players grow up.
Dave3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 12:51 PM   #12
hon hon hon eat snails

9512 has decent reputation9512 has decent reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by 00playboy00
"Ignoring for a moment that Canada is likely more cold than where they are from and often far from home and just...generally not America...

Toronto doesnt exactly have guys walking out on talented rosters. They leave teams there is no good reason to play for."

AGREED

The product put on the floor is horrible. They should be moved to Seattle

9512 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 12:51 PM   #13
00playboy00
I brick open layups

Not only VC, BOSH & TMAC. Also Antonio Davis who didn't want to move here because his kids would be exposed to the metric system. John Sally who never wanted to play in Toronto. Another example would be Steve francis who didn't want to play in Vancouver (not Toronto but Canada)
Old 09-07-2012, 12:56 PM   #14
IGotACoolStory
Harry Giles:Next KG

IGotACoolStory has an incredible reputation hereIGotACoolStory has an incredible reputation hereIGotACoolStory has an incredible reputation hereIGotACoolStory has an incredible reputation hereIGotACoolStory has an incredible reputation hereIGotACoolStory has an incredible reputation hereIGotACoolStory has an incredible reputation here

Because no one wants to be Canadian.
IGotACoolStory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 12:58 PM   #15
TheMarkMadsen
Know what im sayin?

TheMarkMadsen has an incredible reputation hereTheMarkMadsen has an incredible reputation hereTheMarkMadsen has an incredible reputation hereTheMarkMadsen has an incredible reputation hereTheMarkMadsen has an incredible reputation hereTheMarkMadsen has an incredible reputation here

The brotha's don't fux with the cold weather.

/thread.
TheMarkMadsen is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: