Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 09-08-2012, 10:20 PM   #1
netsfan549
Good High School Starter

netsfan549 has decent reputationnetsfan549 has decent reputation
Default Where to get cheap books?

I just started college. Where can I buy cheap books? these prices are a little bit crazy.. thanks
netsfan549 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 10:27 PM   #2
irondarts

irondarts is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterirondarts is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterirondarts is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterirondarts is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterirondarts is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterirondarts is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterirondarts is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterirondarts is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterirondarts is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterirondarts is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterirondarts is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster
Default Re: Where to get cheap books?

Amazon marketplace, Half.com to buy.

If you want to rent the books (which is usually cheapest for most books) - chegg.com, campusbookrentals.com/
irondarts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 10:33 PM   #3
bmulls
Great college starter

bmulls has a near all-star reputation herebmulls has a near all-star reputation herebmulls has a near all-star reputation herebmulls has a near all-star reputation herebmulls has a near all-star reputation herebmulls has a near all-star reputation here

What I always did was give it a few weeks of class before you buy your books. If you need it immediately your school library probably has a few copies, or borrow from a classmate or something.

Unless it is some really obscure book you can usually find it on google or a torrent. Just google "book's name author pdf ebook". It may take some sifting through results, but I managed to find every book I needed my Junior and Senior years.

Sometimes you can only find older editions of the book, which is usually ok as far as the material is concerned. Sometimes though they will add new practice problems at the end of chapters and the older editions won't have those. If your teacher has you doing these, you might need to buy the book (or just borrow it when you have homework).

College textbooks are one of the biggest scams in the world. I feel no shame in cheating the system while they've shamelessly cheated dirt poor college students for years.
bmulls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 09:47 AM   #4
Juges8932
Land of Ownst

Juges8932 has an incredible reputation hereJuges8932 has an incredible reputation hereJuges8932 has an incredible reputation hereJuges8932 has an incredible reputation hereJuges8932 has an incredible reputation hereJuges8932 has an incredible reputation hereJuges8932 has an incredible reputation here

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmulls
What I always did was give it a few weeks of class before you buy your books. If you need it immediately your school library probably has a few copies, or borrow from a classmate or something.

Unless it is some really obscure book you can usually find it on google or a torrent. Just google "book's name author pdf ebook". It may take some sifting through results, but I managed to find every book I needed my Junior and Senior years.

Sometimes you can only find older editions of the book, which is usually ok as far as the material is concerned. Sometimes though they will add new practice problems at the end of chapters and the older editions won't have those. If your teacher has you doing these, you might need to buy the book (or just borrow it when you have homework).

College textbooks are one of the biggest scams in the world. I feel no shame in cheating the system while they've shamelessly cheated dirt poor college students for years.

What this guy said- you can easily find pdfs for most of the books online. If you have friends in your major, talk to them- there are probably a lot who already have these pdfs.

http://bigwords.com/?from=google&gcl...FQQ4nAodynIAoA

^That site scavenges the web for books and finds the cheapest prices. You can find a lot of international editions for 1/5 of the price. Only difference is that they are paperback cover instead of hardback.
Juges8932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 09:50 AM   #5
Dictator
Insidehoops Mafia

Dictator is popular on this boardDictator is popular on this boardDictator is popular on this boardDictator is popular on this boardDictator is popular on this board

on amazon you can find the same books for like $10
Dictator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 09:51 AM   #6
D-Rose
Mavericks/Bulls

D-Rose is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableD-Rose is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableD-Rose is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableD-Rose is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableD-Rose is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableD-Rose is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableD-Rose is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableD-Rose is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableD-Rose is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableD-Rose is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableD-Rose is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

I spent $35 on textbooks for 18 hours of classes this semester...Here is my safe proof plan cheap textbooks:

1) Check your library to see if they keep textbooks on reserve, most do!

2) If you must buy a book, ask the professor if you can buy an older edition. They will almost always say yes! It's the same material, but book is like 90% off usually.

3) Look on craigslist for people selling books, you can bargain. I also advise you to sell your books here instead of back to bookstores.

There are some books like lab manuals that are from the school that you have to buy, but those are the two methods I use.
D-Rose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 10:02 AM   #7
AboveTheRim.
Great young streetballer

AboveTheRim. is popular on this boardAboveTheRim. is popular on this boardAboveTheRim. is popular on this boardAboveTheRim. is popular on this board

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juges8932
What this guy said- you can easily find pdfs for most of the books online. If you have friends in your major, talk to them- there are probably a lot who already have these pdfs.

http://bigwords.com/?from=google&gcl...FQQ4nAodynIAoA

^That site scavenges the web for books and finds the cheapest prices. You can find a lot of international editions for 1/5 of the price. Only difference is that they are paperback cover instead of hardback.

Agreed. Bigwords is the best by far.
AboveTheRim. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 10:07 AM   #8
AK47DR91

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Rose
I spent $35 on textbooks for 18 hours of classes this semester...Here is my safe proof plan cheap textbooks:

1) Check your library to see if they keep textbooks on reserve, most do!

2) If you must buy a book, ask the professor if you can buy an older edition. They will almost always say yes! It's the same material, but book is like 90% off usually.

3) Look on craigslist for people selling books, you can bargain. I also advise you to sell your books here instead of back to bookstores.

There are some books like lab manuals that are from the school that you have to buy, but those are the two methods I use.
This key to me. Sometimes professors assign customized editions that you can only purchased through the campus bookstore. As well as textbooks with that needs to be written on and handed in. Happened to me for a Chemistry class and an Anatomy class.

If that's not the case then get them free at the library or on bargain online as many have already suggested.
Old 09-09-2012, 10:09 AM   #9
TheSilentKiller
NBA Superstar

TheSilentKiller is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTheSilentKiller is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTheSilentKiller is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTheSilentKiller is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTheSilentKiller is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTheSilentKiller is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTheSilentKiller is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTheSilentKiller is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTheSilentKiller is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTheSilentKiller is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTheSilentKiller is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by netsfan549
I just started college. Where can I buy cheap books? these prices are a little bit crazy.. thanks
Juges beat me to the punch with bigwords. Use that.
TheSilentKiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 10:14 AM   #10
UConnCeltics
Celtics/Red Sox/Eagles

UConnCeltics is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterUConnCeltics is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterUConnCeltics is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterUConnCeltics is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterUConnCeltics is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterUConnCeltics is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterUConnCeltics is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterUConnCeltics is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterUConnCeltics is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterUConnCeltics is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

My brother and I have used Chegg, I'd recommend it.
UConnCeltics is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: