Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 09-07-2012, 03:59 PM   #16
code green
Boston Tank Party

code green has an incredible reputation herecode green has an incredible reputation herecode green has an incredible reputation herecode green has an incredible reputation herecode green has an incredible reputation herecode green has an incredible reputation herecode green has an incredible reputation here
Default Re: Looking for a used car, between two choices.

Quote:
Originally Posted by magictricked
Where are you going to school? If it's someplace in an area not known to turn cars into rust buckets if you could wait and buy one when you're there that would be a bonus

Nowhere big, I'm a Networking Engineer major and the local community college has the nice combo of having one of the best Cisco programs and lowest tuition in the state. Got about a year to go before i get Cisco certified. And yes, N.E. does tend to rust out cars...my current car is still in great shape mechanically (150k miles, no lights on, no major work done), but the brakes, muffler, and now tire rod have all rusted to pieces. I replaced the muffler and brakes to buy me time, but i'm not about to sink another 600 bucks into a 98 Mazda 626 that'll need something else replaced...next up is probably the oil pan if the frame doesn't go first.
code green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 04:14 PM   #17
DukeDelonte13
NBA rookie of the year

DukeDelonte13 has an incredible reputation hereDukeDelonte13 has an incredible reputation hereDukeDelonte13 has an incredible reputation hereDukeDelonte13 has an incredible reputation hereDukeDelonte13 has an incredible reputation hereDukeDelonte13 has an incredible reputation hereDukeDelonte13 has an incredible reputation here

both really aren't good cars.

Mistus are not known for their reliability, but they can't be worse than that vue. Avoid that piece like the plague. Not only will it get terrible mileage, there aren't many manufactures that make worse then the general. Also if the vue has the CVT tranny in it def. don't get it because they are extremely problematic.
DukeDelonte13 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 05:09 PM   #18
Balla_Status

Balla_Status is popular on this boardBalla_Status is popular on this boardBalla_Status is popular on this boardBalla_Status is popular on this board

Check out the reliability of both.
Balla_Status is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 05:22 PM   #19
Smoke117
Barstool Blues

Smoke117 has a near all-star reputation hereSmoke117 has a near all-star reputation hereSmoke117 has a near all-star reputation hereSmoke117 has a near all-star reputation hereSmoke117 has a near all-star reputation hereSmoke117 has a near all-star reputation here

This thread needs a a little: Rudy Russo
Smoke117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 05:37 PM   #20
D-Rose

D-Rose is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableD-Rose is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableD-Rose is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableD-Rose is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableD-Rose is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableD-Rose is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableD-Rose is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableD-Rose is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableD-Rose is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableD-Rose is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableD-Rose is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

I'd look for a cheaper car on craigslist...not sure where you live but here in Texas I can get a good, reliable, running car for 2500 easy without having to do any work on it. And the people on there will sell to you ASAP cause you have cash.

I once drove a car two YEARS due on inspection and registration for a 4 hour drive to get it registered in another county
D-Rose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 07:26 PM   #21
magictricked
Great young streetballer

magictricked has a terrific reputationmagictricked has a terrific reputationmagictricked has a terrific reputationmagictricked has a terrific reputationmagictricked has a terrific reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by code green
Nowhere big, I'm a Networking Engineer major and the local community college has the nice combo of having one of the best Cisco programs and lowest tuition in the state. Got about a year to go before i get Cisco certified. And yes, N.E. does tend to rust out cars...my current car is still in great shape mechanically (150k miles, no lights on, no major work done), but the brakes, muffler, and now tire rod have all rusted to pieces. I replaced the muffler and brakes to buy me time, but i'm not about to sink another 600 bucks into a 98 Mazda 626 that'll need something else replaced...next up is probably the oil pan if the frame doesn't go first.
Save your money? Buy something that will get you by for now. You'll be going to school, cars going to be parked outside a lot, driving back and forth in the elements, school parking lots which are not known to be the friendliest of confines take their toll.
Why drop a sizable amount of cash only to watch it get beat on for a year. Either spend some of that on your current ride and run it till it drops or spend half of your savings on something you don't mind seeing get ruined. Then when you graduate, get that first job you'll have your savings and a paycheck to maybe get yourself something a bit nicer
magictricked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 09:49 PM   #22
christian1923
Good college starter

christian1923 has an OK reputation so far

I've almost got 10k saved up. What would be a a good used car for that price.. I don't know shit about cars
christian1923 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 09:52 PM   #23
johndeeregreen
Oh yeah, Mitch Kramer?

johndeeregreen is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjohndeeregreen is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjohndeeregreen is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjohndeeregreen is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjohndeeregreen is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjohndeeregreen is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjohndeeregreen is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjohndeeregreen is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjohndeeregreen is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjohndeeregreen is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjohndeeregreen is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Mileage is king. Besides that why in God's name would you even consider a Saturn?
johndeeregreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 02:06 AM   #24
Clippersfan86
Banned

Clippersfan86 has a near all-star reputation hereClippersfan86 has a near all-star reputation hereClippersfan86 has a near all-star reputation hereClippersfan86 has a near all-star reputation hereClippersfan86 has a near all-star reputation hereClippersfan86 has a near all-star reputation here

Hate to say it but Duke is spot on. Both terrible options to be frank. Both will likely leave you broken down soon enough. Saturn is mocked by car people as being the biggest POS on the planet. I suppose the Galant is a better buy but you could still do WAY WAY WAY better for 5k man. Don't screw yourself. Take the 5k and use it in a better way.
Clippersfan86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 09:57 AM   #25
RaininTwos
Betrayed

RaininTwos is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRaininTwos is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRaininTwos is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRaininTwos is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRaininTwos is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRaininTwos is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRaininTwos is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRaininTwos is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRaininTwos is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Op, this is business. I don't care who you're friends with, after he rips your ass off will you still be friends with him? Hell no! Take your money elsewhere. I would get something dirt cheap, drive that for a little around a year while building your savings. Then when you get a job in your field making some serious dough, you can get something a tad bit nicer.
RaininTwos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 10:30 AM   #26
DukeDelonte13
NBA rookie of the year

DukeDelonte13 has an incredible reputation hereDukeDelonte13 has an incredible reputation hereDukeDelonte13 has an incredible reputation hereDukeDelonte13 has an incredible reputation hereDukeDelonte13 has an incredible reputation hereDukeDelonte13 has an incredible reputation hereDukeDelonte13 has an incredible reputation here

Quote:
Originally Posted by christian1923
I've almost got 10k saved up. What would be a a good used car for that price.. I don't know shit about cars

depending on what you are looking for, if you are younger and don't care too much about status i'd get a slightly used asian compact, like corolla, elantra, impreza.. they would last you the longest and cost you the least to maintain over the years.
DukeDelonte13 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 10:32 AM   #27
blablabla

blablabla is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableblablabla is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableblablabla is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableblablabla is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableblablabla is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableblablabla is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableblablabla is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableblablabla is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableblablabla is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableblablabla is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableblablabla is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by christian1923
subby wrx
blablabla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 10:42 AM   #28
Clippersfan86
Banned

Clippersfan86 has a near all-star reputation hereClippersfan86 has a near all-star reputation hereClippersfan86 has a near all-star reputation hereClippersfan86 has a near all-star reputation hereClippersfan86 has a near all-star reputation hereClippersfan86 has a near all-star reputation here

For 10k... you can really get something nice and reliable dude. Tell us what your priorities are. Reliability and gas mileage? Performance and fun? A WRX is always going to be a recommended buy though in that bracket. Insane reliability, solid gas mileage and unmatched all around performance for the price. I owned an 06 WRX beat the living crap out of it for about a year and not a single thing broke or failed.
Clippersfan86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 12:54 PM   #29
code green
Boston Tank Party

code green has an incredible reputation herecode green has an incredible reputation herecode green has an incredible reputation herecode green has an incredible reputation herecode green has an incredible reputation herecode green has an incredible reputation herecode green has an incredible reputation here

I ended up getting the Galant if anyone cares. I drove it around in the city and the freeway and I really liked how it drove. I wasn't going to pay what he was asking for, right off the bat he offered to bring it down from $4500 to $4000. I countered with $3,000 and we settled at $3,500. Going to use the remaining $1,500 to register the car and to start saving up for the next one.
code green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 12:55 PM   #30
RaininTwos
Betrayed

RaininTwos is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRaininTwos is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRaininTwos is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRaininTwos is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRaininTwos is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRaininTwos is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRaininTwos is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRaininTwos is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRaininTwos is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

how long are you planning on keeping the galant?
RaininTwos is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: