Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 09-09-2012, 07:04 PM   #16
Raz

Default Re: What's this notion that not liking homosexuality = you're a closet gay?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. I'm So Rad
I'm not understanding this logic. Why does this seemingly only apply to homosexuality? A phobia is an irrational or exaggerated fear of something. So taking a literal interpretation of the word "homophobia" it is used out of context. I don't think most people who don't like gay people/gay behavior necessarily fear the idea of a person being gay or themselves being gay, they are just grossed out by the idea of a man putting his dick in another man's ass. Or for females, 1 woman fondling another woman's breasts, ******.

Sounds like you're hiding something.
Old 09-09-2012, 07:09 PM   #17
miller-time
NBA sixth man of the year

Default Re: What's this notion that not liking homosexuality = you're a closet gay?

Quote:
Originally Posted by blablabla
I don't like cats, does that mean i'm a cat ?

people dislike different things for different reasons. some of the most staunch anti-gay people out there have turned out to be gay, so while it might not be true for everyone it is true for some people.

most people that dislike gay people are probably just ignorant and/or immature. but the COULD be gay. it is possible. it is impossible that you are a cat, and that is why your analogy falls flat.
miller-time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 07:10 PM   #18
macmac
Gov'n

Quote:

Exactly
macmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 07:16 PM   #19
kentatm
NBA Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonDadda59
IMO anyone who goes out of their way to protest homosexuality is suspect. I don't think it's a coincidence that some of the most vocal and visible anti gay figures turn out to be fanny bandits themselves (Bishop Eddie Long, Ted Haggard, etc). If you're comfortable in your own sexuality, you wouldn't spend all your time worrying about someone else's.

pretty much how I feel

Quote:

Last edited by kentatm : 09-09-2012 at 07:18 PM.
kentatm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 07:22 PM   #20
Raz

Quote:

That means you're a pussy.
Old 09-09-2012, 07:47 PM   #21
blablabla

Quote:
New Study Links Homophobia with Homosexual Arousal

August 1996 Press Release
WASHINGTON -- Psychoanalytic theory holds that homophobia -- the fear, anxiety, anger, discomfort and aversion that some ostensibly heterosexual people hold for gay individuals -- is the result of repressed homosexual urges that the person is either unaware of or denies. A study appearing in the August 1996 issue of the Journal of Abnormal Psychology, published by the American Psychological Association (APA), provides new empirical evidence that is consistent with that theory.

Researchers at the University of Georgia conducted an experiment involving 35 homophobic men and 29 nonhomophobic men as measured by the Index of Homophobia scale. All the participants selected for the study described themselves as exclusively heterosexual both in terms of sexual arousal and experience.

Each participant was exposed to sexually explicit erotic stimuli consisting of heterosexual, male homosexual and lesbian videotapes (but not necessarily in that order). Their degree of sexual arousal was measured by penile plethysmography, which precisely measures and records male tumescence.

Men in both groups were aroused by about the same degree by the video depicting heterosexual sexual behavior and by the video showing two women engaged in sexual behavior. The only significant difference in degree of arousal between the two groups occurred when they viewed the video depicting male homosexual sex: 'The homophobic men showed a significant increase in penile circumference to the male homosexual video, but the control [nonhomophobic] men did not.'

Broken down further, the measurements showed that while 66% of the nonhomophobic group showed no significant tumescence while watching the male homosexual video, only 20% of the homophobic men showed little or no evidence of arousal. Similarly, while 24% of the nonhomophobic men showed definite tumescence while watching the homosexual video, 54% of the homophobic men did.

When asked to give their own subjective assessment of the degree to which they were aroused by watching each of the three videos, men in both groups gave answers that tracked fairly closely with the results of the objective physiological measurement, with one exception: the homophobic men significantly underestimated their degree of arousal by the male homosexual video.

Do these findings mean, then, that homophobia in men is a reaction to repressed homosexual urges, as psychoanalysis theorizes? While their findings are consistent with that theory, the authors note that there is another, competing theoretical explanation: anxiety. According to this theory, viewing the male homosexual videotape may have caused negative emotions (such as anxiety) in the homophobic men, but not in the nonhomophobic men. As the authors note, 'anxiety has been shown to enhance arousal and erection,' and so it is also possible that 'a response to homosexual stimuli [in these men] is a function of the threat condition rather than sexual arousal per se. These competing notions can and should be evaluated by future research.'

http://www.cracked.com/article/85_6-...e-believes_p2/
blablabla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 07:52 PM   #22
Raz

Quote:

Old 09-09-2012, 08:25 PM   #23
code green
C's Fan since Dee

code green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 08:27 PM   #24
niko
I Run NY.

OP who has young girl fetish wants to makes sure we all know his gay hating doesn't mean he is gay. THere's a lot to pyschoanalyze here.
niko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 09:43 PM   #25
AK47DR91

I agree with DonDadda. If you're not a supporter of gay rights, marriages or whatever. That's fine. Your choice, your views. Whatever!

But if you're actively protesting it, advocating anti-gay movement, and it's always on your mind then you might be a closet homosexual.

I support gay marriages, gay rights if I had to make a vote on it but you won't see me at a gay parade, gay pride movement or anything like that.
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: