Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Toronto Raptors Forum

Toronto Raptors Forum Toronto Raptors message board - Toronto Raptors forum

Old 09-18-2012, 09:28 PM   #1
Legends66NBA7
Apex

Default Jamaal Magloire re-signs with the Raptors

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/basketball/...-magliore.html

Quote:
The Toronto Raptors have re-signed Canadian centre Jamaal Magloire, retaining a veteran presence in the middle to compliment incoming rookie Jonas Valanciunas.

Magloire averaged 1.2 points, 3.3 rebounds and 11.0 minutes in 34 appearances with the Raptors last season.

The Toronto native has career averages of 7.3 points, 5.3 rebounds and 21.9 minutes over 12 NBA seasons with Charlotte/New Orleans, Milwaukee, Portland, New Jersey, Miami and Toronto.

The six-foot-11, 265-pound Toronto native had his best season with the Hornets in 2003-04. He was named to the Eastern Conference all-star team and averaged 13.6 points, 10.3 rebounds. He was one of only 11 players that season to average a double-double.

Magloire, who signed as a free agent with the Raptors prior to last season, is the first Canadian-born player in the club's history.

He will serve as a mentor to Valanciunas, Toronto's prized centre prospect who is making his NBA debut this season.
Legends66NBA7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 09:30 PM   #2
Chamberlain
Riggin' for Wiggins!

Default Re: Jamaal Magloire re-signs with the Raptors

Does this bring us to 16 players under contract?
Chamberlain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 10:55 PM   #3
Legends66NBA7
Apex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chamberlain
Does this bring us to 16 players under contract?

I believe it does.
Legends66NBA7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 11:03 AM   #4
Jballer
Local High School Star

Not necessarily.

1) Could be an injury bug we dont know about ???

An NBA team can have a maximum of 15 players on its roster during a season. A team must have 12 players on its active roster1, although they can drop to 11 for up to two weeks at a time. They must suit-up at least eight players for every game. Any remaining players must be on its Inactive List, and are ineligible to play in games. A team must have a minimum of one and a maximum of three players on its Inactive List, although they can drop to zero for up to two weeks at a time, and can temporarily have four (bringing their roster size to 16) with league approval in the event of a hardship. The composition of the Inactive List can change on a game-by-game basis -- no less than 60 minutes prior to tipoff, the team must present to the official scorer a list of the players who will be active for that game. A player can be inactive for as little as one game. While individual teams are only required to carry 13 players, (12 active and one inactive), the NBA also guarantees a league-wide average of at least 14 players per team. The league is surcharged if they do not meet this obligation.

2) Could be our "second draft pick" is NBDL bound and therefore an exception as he is inactive ??

If an active player is assigned to the NBA D-League, he is automatically placed on his NBA team's Inactive List. There is no minimum or maximum length of an NBA D-League assignment, and players have 48 hours to report to the NBA D-League team once they are assigned. Players continue to receive their NBA salary while assigned to the NBA D-League, but their performance in NBA D-League games does not count toward NBA incentives.
Jballer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 08:30 PM   #5
Dr.Funk
Decent college freshman

I dont think that being crappy is classified as a hardship.
Dr.Funk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 12:02 PM   #6
Jballer
Local High School Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Funk
I dont think that being crappy is classified as a hardship.

LOL

While the sentiment very funny I meant that perhaps either:

1) there is an unknown roster injury right now and hardship was granted. This is very unlikely as even newpapers as disinterested in Basketball as the Toronto Star and Toronto Sun would have ferreted out those details

2) Quincy Acys contract to NBDL is such that he doesnt count as a 16th based on some arcane forumulas of when he signed - when he reported - if he reports or doesnt - etc
Old 09-20-2012, 01:10 PM   #7
Chamberlain
Riggin' for Wiggins!

I could be wrong, but I believe that even if Acy (or anyone, for that matter) is sent to the D-League he counts towards the 15 player max.
Chamberlain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 09:27 PM   #8
Dr.Funk
Decent college freshman

Quote:
I could be wrong, but I believe that even if Acy (or anyone, for that matter) is sent to the D-League he counts towards the 15 player max.

I also believe this to be the case.
Dr.Funk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 02:11 PM   #9
Jballer
Local High School Star

Quote:

I got quotes from a CBA website....and I am no lawyer so...

If we have 16 on roster where (1) Quincy Acy still counts and (2) no hardship has been granted for injuries... leads me to conclude then.....

Magloire contract could be announce his retirement contract ? Does that work in the roster cap ? I dunno

Or

There is a trade in the works - 2 (or more) out and only 1 (or less than out) coming back ..hmmmm....
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: