Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 09-12-2012, 04:16 AM   #1
Round Mound
NBA lottery pick
 
Round Mound's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 5,031
Round Mound has an incredible reputation hereRound Mound has an incredible reputation hereRound Mound has an incredible reputation hereRound Mound has an incredible reputation hereRound Mound has an incredible reputation hereRound Mound has an incredible reputation hereRound Mound has an incredible reputation here
Default Wilt - A Real Superman (Up and coming Project WIP3) Video



http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kKgP9...ture=g-all-lik


Last edited by Round Mound : 09-12-2012 at 04:34 AM.
Round Mound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 12:13 PM   #2
sundizz
Local High School Star
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 1,194
sundizz has decent reputationsundizz has decent reputation
Default Re: Wilt - A Real Superman (Up and coming Project WIP3) Video

What I don't get from all these clips of him being 'athletic' is how that is supposed to realistically tell how he'd do today. Honestly, like Kwame Brown and Javale McGee and other such sorts of subpar to par players have insanely good highlight mixes due to their athleticism when playing subpar players. Don't get me wrong..i'm not comparing them to Wilt like some people. I do think he'd do alright. I just don't get why some people on this board feel so strongly about how well they would do in the current NBA. The difference between that game back then and nowadays is just insane.

Wilt clearly is mentally stronger than the clowns above but he sure as hell didn't not have a usable 50 inch vert. Dwight Howard, and Shaq both jump higher than him, and are both much much more explosive. He prolly could jump quicker (which would lead to tons of blocked shots in today's NBA) but he has nowhere near the explosive power of Shaq.

I think it really would come down to his skill..and it is hard to decipher how good he actually was. I mean watching Tim Duncan and KG they have insanely great basketball skills. Even David Robinson and Patrick Ewing have very developed skill sets. Watching old clips of him it seems like 90% of his point are from just being taller than the other player. He gets good post position etc but it doesn't seem like he really ever makes that quick moves, or the sort of quick decisions that we see from the players of today.

Just my opinion. I think he could put up 25, 15, and 2.8 bpg if he had played today and had the chance to train etc in today's world. Being 7'1+, 275+, athletic and strong is enough in the current NBA. As long as he isn't an idiot like Javale there is no reason he shouldn't be an upgrade over someone like a Bynum. I actually think that Andrew Bynum is the best modern day comparison of Wilt. Watching the first two years of Bynum when he didn't have knee injuries etc he looks to be about equal levels of usable strength and athleticism as I've seen from Wilt in every video clip posted. Not a knock against him. Still think that a prime Shaq would put him a) in foul trouble easily and b) have his way with him just like every other center that has ever played.
sundizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 12:39 PM   #3
CavaliersFTW
NBA All-star
 
CavaliersFTW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Ohio
Posts: 9,965
CavaliersFTW is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterCavaliersFTW is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterCavaliersFTW is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterCavaliersFTW is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterCavaliersFTW is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterCavaliersFTW is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterCavaliersFTW is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterCavaliersFTW is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterCavaliersFTW is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterCavaliersFTW is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterCavaliersFTW is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster
Default Re: Wilt - A Real Superman (Up and coming Project WIP3) Video

Quote:
Originally Posted by sundizz
What I don't get from all these clips of him being 'athletic' is how that is supposed to realistically tell how he'd do today. Honestly, like Kwame Brown and Javale McGee and other such sorts of subpar to par players have insanely good highlight mixes due to their athleticism when playing subpar players. Don't get me wrong..i'm not comparing them to Wilt like some people. I do think he'd do alright. I just don't get why some people on this board feel so strongly about how well they would do in the current NBA. The difference between that game back then and nowadays is just insane.

Wilt clearly is mentally stronger than the clowns above but he sure as hell didn't not have a usable 50 inch vert. Dwight Howard, and Shaq both jump higher than him, and are both much much more explosive. He prolly could jump quicker (which would lead to tons of blocked shots in today's NBA) but he has nowhere near the explosive power of Shaq.

I think it really would come down to his skill..and it is hard to decipher how good he actually was. I mean watching Tim Duncan and KG they have insanely great basketball skills. Even David Robinson and Patrick Ewing have very developed skill sets. Watching old clips of him it seems like 90% of his point are from just being taller than the other player. He gets good post position etc but it doesn't seem like he really ever makes that quick moves, or the sort of quick decisions that we see from the players of today.

Just my opinion. I think he could put up 25, 15, and 2.8 bpg if he had played today and had the chance to train etc in today's world. Being 7'1+, 275+, athletic and strong is enough in the current NBA. As long as he isn't an idiot like Javale there is no reason he shouldn't be an upgrade over someone like a Bynum. I actually think that Andrew Bynum is the best modern day comparison of Wilt. Watching the first two years of Bynum when he didn't have knee injuries etc he looks to be about equal levels of usable strength and athleticism as I've seen from Wilt in every video clip posted. Not a knock against him. Still think that a prime Shaq would put him a) in foul trouble easily and b) have his way with him just like every other center that has ever played.
bookmarking for future

guy is making Kareem his bitch in these brief clips and your yammering on about Bynum and Javale McGee.
CavaliersFTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 12:41 PM   #4
fpliii
LA Lakers Est. 1960
 
fpliii's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: nbastats.net
Posts: 8,893
fpliii is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterfpliii is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterfpliii is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterfpliii is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterfpliii is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterfpliii is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterfpliii is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterfpliii is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster
Default Re: Wilt - A Real Superman (Up and coming Project WIP3) Video

Quote:
Originally Posted by CavaliersFTW
bookmarking for future

guy is making Kareem his bitch in these brief clips and your yammering on about Bynum and Javale McGee.

have you done/seen any videos strictly of Wilt's time with the Sixers?
fpliii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 12:49 PM   #5
sundizz
Local High School Star
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 1,194
sundizz has decent reputationsundizz has decent reputation
Default Re: Wilt - A Real Superman (Up and coming Project WIP3) Video

Quote:
Originally Posted by CavaliersFTW
bookmarking for future

guy is making Kareem his bitch in these brief clips and your yammering on about Bynum and Javale McGee.

so goaltending is making him his bitch? You think my estimate of 25,15 and about 3 bpg is too low? Thought you were more open to at least the thought process of comparing different era's but I guess you just have ur 'right' view.

By the way...this is what making someone ur bitch would be..http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JLDXw5lC-LM

Last edited by sundizz : 09-12-2012 at 12:52 PM.
sundizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 12:50 PM   #6
CavaliersFTW
NBA All-star
 
CavaliersFTW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Ohio
Posts: 9,965
CavaliersFTW is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterCavaliersFTW is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterCavaliersFTW is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterCavaliersFTW is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterCavaliersFTW is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterCavaliersFTW is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterCavaliersFTW is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterCavaliersFTW is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterCavaliersFTW is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterCavaliersFTW is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterCavaliersFTW is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster
Default Re: Wilt - A Real Superman (Up and coming Project WIP3) Video

Quote:
Originally Posted by fpliii
have you done/seen any videos strictly of Wilt's time with the Sixers?
Yah I have a lot of footage of him from those years - haven't mixed much of that footage yet though
CavaliersFTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 12:52 PM   #7
CavaliersFTW
NBA All-star
 
CavaliersFTW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Ohio
Posts: 9,965
CavaliersFTW is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterCavaliersFTW is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterCavaliersFTW is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterCavaliersFTW is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterCavaliersFTW is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterCavaliersFTW is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterCavaliersFTW is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterCavaliersFTW is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterCavaliersFTW is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterCavaliersFTW is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterCavaliersFTW is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster
Default Re: Wilt - A Real Superman (Up and coming Project WIP3) Video

Quote:
Originally Posted by sundizz
so goaltending is making him his bitch? You think my estimate of 25,15 and about 3 bpg is too low? Thought you were more open to at least the thought process of comparing different era's but I guess you just have ur 'right' view.
The footage you see in my videos is the tip of an iceberg kid - I'm sitting on (and have watched all of) 150+ Gigs of 1960's-70's / Wilt / Wilt's "competition" footage. You on the other hand, haven't. And your going to try and sit here and discuss with me what Wilt could or could not do in today's game based on.... Bynum and McGee highlights?

See why I don't want to "discuss" anything with you? There isn't anything to discuss, all you've seen is Wilt (none of "Wilt's competition") and basketball reference... your ability to have a conversation with me about Wilt and his era is virtually non-existent

Last edited by CavaliersFTW : 09-12-2012 at 01:05 PM.
CavaliersFTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 01:01 PM   #8
HardwoodLegend
The Magical T-Mac
 
HardwoodLegend's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: The Rec Center
Posts: 3,686
HardwoodLegend is a pretty well-respected posterHardwoodLegend is a pretty well-respected posterHardwoodLegend is a pretty well-respected poster
Default Re: Wilt - A Real Superman (Up and coming Project WIP3) Video

Quote:
Originally Posted by sundizz
so goaltending is making him his bitch?

Those two blocks on the skyhook weren't goaltends.

And, he is clearly making some quick, decisive moves to the basket in some of those clips after getting the ball.
HardwoodLegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 01:02 PM   #9
fpliii
LA Lakers Est. 1960
 
fpliii's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: nbastats.net
Posts: 8,893
fpliii is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterfpliii is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterfpliii is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterfpliii is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterfpliii is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterfpliii is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterfpliii is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterfpliii is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster
Default Re: Wilt - A Real Superman (Up and coming Project WIP3) Video

Quote:
Originally Posted by CavaliersFTW
Yah I have a lot of footage of him from those years - haven't mixed much of that footage yet though

sweet, looking forward too it

Quote:
Originally Posted by CavaliersFTW
The footage you see in my videos is the tip of an iceberg kid - I'm sitting on (and have watched all of) 150+ Gigs of 1960's-70's / Wilt / Wilt's "competition" footage. You on the other hand, haven't. And your going to try and sit here and discuss with me what Wilt could or could not do in today's game based on.... Bynum and McGee highlights?

See why I don't want to "discuss" anything with you? There isn't anything to discuss, all you've seen is Wilt (none of "Wilt's competition") and basketball reference... your ability to have a conversation with me about Wilt and his era is virtually non-existent

random question...do you have anything from games 3 and 4 of the 64 Finals? I know a video of the fourth quarter was going around, but the only version on youtube ends a few minutes early (before they might note a guy's numbers for the game)

julizaver and I are trying to make one last push on that Wilt-Russell h2h spreadsheet, and can't seem to find out how many assists Bill had in those games
fpliii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 01:03 PM   #10
sundizz
Local High School Star
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 1,194
sundizz has decent reputationsundizz has decent reputation
Default Re: Wilt - A Real Superman (Up and coming Project WIP3) Video

Quote:
Originally Posted by CavaliersFTW
The footage you see in my videos is the tip of an iceberg kid - I'm sitting on (and have watched all of) 150+ Gigs of 1960's-70's / Wilt / Wilt's "competition" footage. You on the other hand, haven't. And your going to try and sit here and discuss with me what Wilt could or could not do in today's game based on.... Bynum and McGee highlights?

See why I don't want to "discuss" anything with you? There isn't anything to discuss, all you've seen is Wilt (none of "Wilt's competition") and basketball reference... your ability to have a conversation with me about Wilt and his era is virtually non-existent

Maybe Wilt is this insanely good athlete and can transfer that athleticism to a a basketball court. My opinion could change. Not adamant about anything. Just basing my opinion of what I am seeing...given that it has been decades since he played I would of thought with the advent of youtube someone would of posted a decent highlight reel of Wilt where he looks fluid, has basketball ability and 70% of the highlights aren't him goaltending shots. Until I proven wrong with video and not text I'll just assume that I'm right. You have the video you say...show us all the way oh enlightened one.
sundizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 01:05 PM   #11
CavaliersFTW
NBA All-star
 
CavaliersFTW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Ohio
Posts: 9,965
CavaliersFTW is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterCavaliersFTW is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterCavaliersFTW is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterCavaliersFTW is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterCavaliersFTW is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterCavaliersFTW is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterCavaliersFTW is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterCavaliersFTW is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterCavaliersFTW is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterCavaliersFTW is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterCavaliersFTW is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster
Default Re: Wilt - A Real Superman (Up and coming Project WIP3) Video

Quote:
Originally Posted by fpliii
sweet, looking forward too it



random question...do you have anything from games 3 and 4 of the 64 Finals? I know a video of the fourth quarter was going around, but the only version on youtube ends a few minutes early (before they might note a guy's numbers for the game)

julizaver and I are trying to make one last push on that Wilt-Russell h2h spreadsheet, and can't seem to find out how many assists Bill had in those games
I will look tonight when i get off of work
CavaliersFTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 01:12 PM   #12
9erempiree
26 yrs of watching NBA
 
9erempiree's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: California of America
Posts: 11,963
9erempiree has one of the lowest reputations on this board9erempiree has one of the lowest reputations on this board9erempiree has one of the lowest reputations on this board9erempiree has one of the lowest reputations on this board9erempiree has one of the lowest reputations on this board9erempiree has one of the lowest reputations on this board9erempiree has one of the lowest reputations on this board9erempiree has one of the lowest reputations on this board9erempiree has one of the lowest reputations on this board9erempiree has one of the lowest reputations on this board9erempiree has one of the lowest reputations on this board
Default Re: Wilt - A Real Superman (Up and coming Project WIP3) Video

Wilt was a great athlete and I think he will still crush the competition today. Bynum and McGee have nothing on Wilt.
9erempiree is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 01:15 PM   #13
fpliii
LA Lakers Est. 1960
 
fpliii's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: nbastats.net
Posts: 8,893
fpliii is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterfpliii is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterfpliii is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterfpliii is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterfpliii is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterfpliii is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterfpliii is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterfpliii is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster
Default Re: Wilt - A Real Superman (Up and coming Project WIP3) Video

Quote:
Originally Posted by CavaliersFTW
I will look tonight when i get off of work

thanks
fpliii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 01:16 PM   #14
CavaliersFTW
NBA All-star
 
CavaliersFTW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Ohio
Posts: 9,965
CavaliersFTW is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterCavaliersFTW is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterCavaliersFTW is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterCavaliersFTW is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterCavaliersFTW is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterCavaliersFTW is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterCavaliersFTW is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterCavaliersFTW is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterCavaliersFTW is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterCavaliersFTW is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterCavaliersFTW is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster
Default Re: Wilt - A Real Superman (Up and coming Project WIP3) Video

Quote:
Originally Posted by sundizz
so goaltending is making him his bitch? You think my estimate of 25,15 and about 3 bpg is too low? Thought you were more open to at least the thought process of comparing different era's but I guess you just have ur 'right' view.

By the way...this is what making someone ur bitch would be..http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JLDXw5lC-LM

Sure, and this kind of sh*t isn't... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n_D5WCZj7TY

CavaliersFTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 02:35 PM   #15
senelcoolidge
Great college starter
 
senelcoolidge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: At home
Posts: 3,576
senelcoolidge is starting to rub some people the wrong waysenelcoolidge is starting to rub some people the wrong way
Default Re: Wilt - A Real Superman (Up and coming Project WIP3) Video

I think your rebounding numbers are too low for Wilt. I'd say at least 18rpg in today's league. Wilt took lots of pride in that aspect of his game, probably more than the scoring. Comparing Bynum, Howard..and McGee to Wilt..come on man!
senelcoolidge is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by:
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:07 PM.




NBA Basketball Forum Key Links:
InsideHoops Home
NBA Rumors
Basketball Blog
NBA Daily Recaps
NBA Videos
Fantasy Basketball
NBA Mock Draft
NBA Free Agents
All-Star Weekend
---
High School Basketball
Streetball
---
InsideHoops Twitter
Search Our Site













Powered by vBulletin Version 3.5.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. Terms of Use/Service | Privacy Policy