Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > College and High School Basketball Forum

College and High School Basketball Forum College basketball message board, high school basketball message board

Old 12-14-2012, 09:58 AM   #16
Thorpesaurous
NBA rookie of the year

Thorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable
Default Re: Jim Calhoun to announce retirement

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorpesaurous
And a related note, between this, and Notre Dame's defection yesterday, Big East basketball has taken yet another huge hit these past couple days. It's really sad. There's so little left. And it's unfortunate that if you don't play football, you're apparently not allowed to play basketball either.
I fully expect UConn to take a pretty harsh step back between the sanctions and now a major coaching change, although I feel Kevin Ollie could be a very good coach.

The Big East should abandon the idea of scavenging these mid majors from all over the country, albeit good ones like SDSU, and just pick up the rest of it's northeastern catholic basketball heritage bretheren and run the conference through that. Merge with the Atlantic 10, cherry pick from my beloved MAAC. And make a basketball exclusive conference that doesn't play BCS football. Georgetown, Villanova, Seton Hall, Providence, St. John's. You'd probably have to give up Louisville and Cincy, which you may have to anyway the way football is going. Pick up UMass, Temple, St. Joe's, Butler, Charlotte, Dayton, Duquesne, Fordham, GW, Lasalle, Rhode Island, The Bonnies, VCU, Xavier, Richmond, St. Louis. Maybe grab Iona, Manhattan, Sienna, Cannisius from the MAAC.

You've got some nice natural rivals there. You're feeding off the northeast catholic basketball traditions. You've got a ton of small catholic, really good academic schools in the mix there. Those schools could maybe increase their profile playing so many games in and around Manhattan and Philly and DC, increase their recruiting prowess. Keep the tourney at MSG.

Let's play some goddamned basketball around here.

I'm quoting myself, because this is pretty much happening right now. They're not calling it the big east however. It appears that the 7 non football schools from the Big East are all leaving. They're picking up their ball and going home, not living and dieing by the whims of these football schools.

It saddens me, but I think my beloved Big East Tournament at MSG is a thing of the past. I was hoping they'd all hang together and scavenge the rest of the northeast, but reports sound like they're more likely going to sell themselves as a package unit to another conference. I've also heard they've been promised that they'll keep their automatic bid to the Big Dance whereever they wind up.
Thorpesaurous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 10:23 AM   #17
SourPatchKids
Banned

SourPatchKids is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSourPatchKids is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSourPatchKids is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSourPatchKids is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSourPatchKids is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSourPatchKids is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSourPatchKids is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSourPatchKids is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSourPatchKids is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSourPatchKids is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSourPatchKids is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Can somebody briefly detail to me the rise and fall of the big east?
SourPatchKids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 10:56 AM   #18
Burgz V2
Decent college freshman

Burgz V2 is a pretty well-respected posterBurgz V2 is a pretty well-respected posterBurgz V2 is a pretty well-respected poster

im not really sad that he is going, but he had some great years and churned out some great NBA players in his time.

Kevin Ollie deserves a shot at coaching for the long-term imo, but don't be surprised if he gets the can if there aren't immediate results. I hope they were marketing him as the coach to their recruits, otherwise I feel for those who have committed already for next year and beyond
Burgz V2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 11:15 AM   #19
Burgz V2
Decent college freshman

Burgz V2 is a pretty well-respected posterBurgz V2 is a pretty well-respected posterBurgz V2 is a pretty well-respected poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by SourPatchKids

Big East became known as a powerhouse conference because of the physical and dominating style of play. It started with the 80s Georgetown John Thompson teams and into the 90s the conference overall got better and better and more competitive. Calhoun's arrival at UCONN had a lot to do with that I guess.

because of the style of play they (i guess used to now) have a reputation of preparing players well for the NBA. Overall talent level is a lot better across the board (Big 10, SEC, Big 12 even Pac 12) so imo its not the case anymore
Burgz V2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 03:58 PM   #20
kNicKz
College superstar

kNicKz is a pretty well-respected posterkNicKz is a pretty well-respected posterkNicKz is a pretty well-respected poster

This man did so much for Connecticut. Uconn as an institution wouldn't be where it is today without him. His basketball program brought in money and students that turned a run down agricultural college into a public ivy, and basketball powerhouse. His passion and incredible life story are legendary
kNicKz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 04:09 PM   #21
kNicKz
College superstar

kNicKz is a pretty well-respected posterkNicKz is a pretty well-respected posterkNicKz is a pretty well-respected poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by SourPatchKids

The rise

and the fall:

kNicKz is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: